Life of Pi

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Life of Pi

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Went to see the film yesterday (having not read the book) and was very impressed with what Ang Lee could put on the screen. I was having all sorts of 'disbelief suspension' problems till the end, when all was clarified in one simple declarative sentence; then I liked it even better. :D
I can't believe it will be boffo at the Box Office, but it's definitely a film with great merit, but not a movie.
Marlow

Re: Life of Pi

Postby lonewolf » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:29 pm

The idea of sharing a lifeboat with a tiger, while titilating, is not appealing.. but I will probably see it out of curiosity.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:54 am

lonewolf wrote:The idea of sharing a lifeboat with a tiger, while titilating, is not appealing.

Pi agrees. Pretty sure that's a main point of the plot. :D

Not a plot-spoiler, but read this afterwards to blow your mind.

Believe it or not, I barely can, every frame of the tiger on the raft is CGI.
Marlow

Postby j-a-m » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:20 am

Liked the book when I read it, gotta watch the movie some time.
j-a-m

Postby bijanc » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:28 am

Book began well, but is overrated, because it has no conclusion. I read it primarily because that year, every other person I saw on the subway or in airports was reading it.
bijanc

Postby Marlow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:59 am

bijanc wrote:it has no conclusion.

??!! A parable has a point, not a conclusion. As parables go, I thought it was marvelously effective.
Marlow

Postby bijanc » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41 am

Perhaps, but many are the novels which traffic in both symbolism and closure. The author lost me in the latter half of the text, and the most compelling section, was about why animals are actually better off in zoos than in the wild
bijanc

Postby preston » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 am

I saw it and I really liked it. Not to give away the point of the movie, but it was considerably better than Contact (Jodi Foster, Tom Skerritt, Matthew McCaunaghey [sp?]).

"My fear of him keeps me alert," "Tending to his needs gives me purpose." - Piscine Molitor
preston

Postby bijanc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:27 am

That's saying a lot, because I seldom attend first run movies in theatres, and saw & enjoyed "Contact". Interesting that "...Pi" didn't emerge as Hollywood fare until after films such as "Bend it Like Beckham" and "Slumdog Millionaire" proved their mettle.
bijanc

Postby preston » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 am

bijanc wrote:That's saying a lot, because I seldom attend first run movies in theatres, and saw & enjoyed "Contact". Interesting that "...Pi" didn't emerge as Hollywood fare until after films such as "Bend it Like Beckham" and "Slumdog Millionaire" proved their mettle.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Contact too, but I think Pi was better. Not trying to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it but they are similar in ways.
preston