A Long Time Ago Already

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

A Long Time Ago Already

Postby DoubleRBar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:10 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Hope everyone is in good health and has an excellent Thanksgiving.

It doesn't happen every Thanksgiving, but it does today. Today is the 49th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's death. Hard to believe, but JFK would be 95, if he were still alive. He was 46 when he was shot and killed in Dallas, Texas.

I realize 49 years is a long time, but I was wondering how many of you were alive on this day in 1963 and what do you remember about JFK's assassination.

I can start the ball rolling by saying that I was a senior in high school and I remember the announcement over our PA system during third period that President Kennedy had been shot. I went to my fourth period class (in California) and it was announced that the president had died. Many people, including teachers, were crying. This all happened on a Friday before Thanksgiving. I had a good friend in high school that had to leave lunch a little early (lunch was right after fourth period). I asked him where he was going and he said, "The rifle club, we have a meeting every Friday." We actually had a rifle club which was one of many clubs at our high school.

What do you remember about this day in history?
DoubleRBar

Re: A Long Time Ago Already

Postby Pego » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:12 am

I think we have done this a few times before this time of the year 8-) . My search abilities are insufficient to find it :oops: .
Pego

Re: A Long Time Ago Already

Postby br » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:59 pm

Pego wrote:I think we have done this a few times before this time of the year 8-) . My search abilities are insufficient to find it :oops: .

From last year...

It Was 48 Years Ago Today

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=45209&p=735675&hilit=jfk#p735675
br