2012 College Football

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby DrJay » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:13 pm

DrJay wrote:Yet another season in which we need a four-team playoff. Not an eight-team playoff. Four will always do just fine.

Well, if the season ended today, we really would need an eight-team playoff. Fortunately, the final regular season weekend plus the conference championship games should help sort things out.
DrJay

Postby preston » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:34 am

KSU should have been treated like a non-AQ team ... they should have been dropped out of the top 10. That was a really bad loss. 4 touchdowns? And, the game wasn't that close.

If Kiffin doesn't crush that team that should remain nameless than he should be fired.
preston

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 am

preston wrote:If Kiffin doesn't crush that team that should remain nameless than he should be fired.

From the Chicago Tribune:
This is where Notre Dame should be, on the pedestal it puts itself, living up to its own lofty standard. This is where the program belongs more than once every 19 years and shouldn't vacate again next Sunday until 2031. This is who they are and where they expect to be, looking at everybody else pressing their noses to the glass. This is the elevated status Notre Dame must attain to justify making all those decisions to remain independent in football.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 092.column

8-)

And in other news, Maryland is headed to the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ources-say
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:18 am

So, what does this do to Maryland's decision to drop track and field (and cross country?)
26mi235

Postby preston » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 am

jazzcyclist wrote:From the Chicago Tribune:
This is where Notre Dame should be, on the pedestal it puts itself, living up to its own lofty standard. This is where the program belongs more than once every 19 years and shouldn't vacate again next Sunday until 2031. This is who they are and where they expect to be, looking at everybody else pressing their noses to the glass. This is the elevated status Notre Dame must attain to justify making all those decisions to remain independent in football.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 092.column

8-)

Views like that are one of the reasons that I so despise everything about that school (Yes, that includes Regis Philbin!!!) This belief that they are owed is just sickening and it hurts college football.

My dream scenario a few years back was that the Big-10, Pac-12, Big-12, ACC and SEC conferences would go to 16 teams and leave that school that can't be named out of all the conferences, eventually forcing them out of the playoff picture altogether. :twisted: With the news that the Big 10 has grabbed Rutgers and Maryland that brings the number to 14.

This is the bad Karma for the ACC allowing themselves to be used by THAT SCHOOL the same way that the Big East allowed themselves to be used. They would NEVER be able to tell the Big 10 that they're not going to split their football money. Serve the ACC right; I hope the Big 10 also grabs UCONN out of Big East and Boston College out of the ACC, but I'm not sure if the Big 10 thinks UCONN is strong enough academically for the Big 10.
preston

Postby gh » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:01 am

this is interesting scheduling quirk: Stanford could end up playing its last three games in a row in the Rose Bowl!

http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/art ... 048926.php

also, note at the end that Johnny Football originally signed a letter with Oregon.
gh

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:52 am

gh wrote:this is interesting scheduling quirk: Stanford could end up playing its last three games in a row in the Rose Bowl!

With a win Saturday, Stanford plays UCLA there twice, back-to-back. Has that happened before, one week apart?
Marlow

Postby 502CD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Marlow wrote:With a win Saturday, Stanford plays UCLA there twice, back-to-back. Has that happened before, one week apart?

It's going to happen eventually with Michigan OSU.
502CD

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:02 pm

502CD wrote:
Marlow wrote:With a win Saturday, Stanford plays UCLA there twice, back-to-back. Has that happened before, one week apart?

It's going to happen eventually with Michigan OSU.

Not at the same venue, though.
Pego

Postby j-a-m » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:20 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I think Oregon, not Kansas State will be #5, but we'll find out in about another hour.

A rare mistake by Brad Edwards, hopefully he can bounce back this week ...
j-a-m

Postby j-a-m » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:24 am

By the way, I expect USC to beat Notre Dame without Matt Barkley. They still have great receivers, the back-up QB is good (except for the lack of experience), and so on.
j-a-m

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:06 am

j-a-m wrote:By the way, I expect USC to beat Notre Dame without Matt Barkley. They still have great receivers, the back-up QB is good (except for the lack of experience), and so on.

If that happens, we could have another all-SEC championship game if Florida can get past Florida State.
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:12 am

j-a-m wrote:By the way, I expect USC to beat Notre Dame without Matt Barkley. They still have great receivers, the back-up QB is good (except for the lack of experience), and so on.

I wound not be surprised if ND's best quarter out-scores USC, either.
26mi235

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08 pm

26mi235 wrote:I wound not be surprised if ND's best quarter out-scores USC, either.

It won't be a cake-walk, but ND wouldn't still be undefeated if they couldn't beat a Barkley-less SC. I'm a card-carrying ND hata (have you seen this week's SI, with a picture of an uplifted ND golden helmet with TD Jesus reflected in it? - ugh!), but the talking heads are already disparaging ND's predicted win over SC as worthless because Barkley ain't there! :roll:
I useta be a big SC-hata too, but I've mellowed and really, really hope they can pull the upset.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Rumor has it that the NCAA is getting ready to drop the hammer on Auburn football.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ources-say

Also, the NCAA has given an ultimatum to former Miami Hurricanes football players, many who are now in the NFL: "If you don't agree to be cross-examined by us, we'll take the word of Nevin "the Rat" Shapiro as the gospel, and drop the hammer on your alma mater".

I think the NCAA member schools will rue the day that they let them get away with making up rules on the fly to drop the hammer on Penn State, because all it did was embolden them.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:14 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Rumor has it that the NCAA is getting ready to drop the hammer on Auburn football.

They woulda/coulda/shoulda on Cam Newton, but he was too hot a property to throw under the bus for the sins of many others. You gotta know they were highly distraught when the Honey Badger, arguably their hottest 2012 property, went off the deep end.
Marlow

Postby guru » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Marlow wrote:
26mi235 wrote:I wound not be surprised if ND's best quarter out-scores USC, either.

It won't be a cake-walk, but ND wouldn't still be undefeated if they couldn't beat a Barkley-less SC.

Irish first #1 to be less than a seven point favorite over an unranked team since 1985
guru

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:28 am

guru wrote:Irish first #1 to be less than a seven point favorite over an unranked team since 1985

I'd take ND with 6.5, wouldn't you?
Marlow

Postby Pego » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:48 am

Marlow wrote:
guru wrote:Irish first #1 to be less than a seven point favorite over an unranked team since 1985

You are on for the standard trash talk rights :wink: , -6.5 ND for you it is.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Pego wrote:
Marlow wrote:

What, no hot dogs?! :D
Marlow

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:14 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Sure, why not 8-) ?
Pego

Postby Marlow » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:44 am

Pego wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:
Marlow wrote:I'd take ND with 6.5, wouldn't you?

Sure, why not 8-) ?

Double or nothing!!
Marlow

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 am

Boy, the thrills of high stakes gambling have me shiver all over. You are on.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Pego wrote:Boy, the thrills of high stakes gambling have me shiver all over. You are on.

Just mustard and onions on mine, please! :wink:
Marlow

Postby Pego » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:24 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:Boy, the thrills of high stakes gambling have me shiver all over. You are on.

Just mustard and onions on mine, please! :wink:

When SC had the first down on 2, I thought it was in the bag :mrgreen: .
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:38 am

Last night the #1 team met an unranked team in the L.A. Coliseum. Of course that's not a surprise since USC started out the season #1 and Notre Dame started out unranked. But what wasn't expected was that the teams would flip flop, with Notre Dame rising to the #1 ranking and USC falling out of the rankings. Has this ever happened before? I know this is the first time that a AP preseason unranked team has ever finished the season #1 in the BCS era. By the way, Notre Dame held eight of its 12 opponents to their lowest score of the season and their defense only allowed one rushing touchdown for the entire season. Additionally, they allowed minus 5 yards for the entire season in first-and-goal situations. :shock:

Yesterday, we found out why the ACC is the ACC, with the SEC going 4-0 in ACC-SEC matchups, including dominating wins over the two best teams in the conference, #10 Florida State and #11 Clemson. I hope Jimbo Fisher will shut his pie hole now.

Because of Florida's very strong computer ranking, due to wins over four top-12 teams (Texas A&M, LSU, South Carolina and Florida State), I wouldn't count them out of the Crystal Football picture just yet. So far, both Georgia and Alabama have only one top-12 win on their resumes, so even winning the SEC championship game will only give the winner half as many top-12 wins as Florida.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:27 am

Pego wrote:When SC had the first down on 2, I thought it was in the bag :mrgreen: .

I'd've much preferred you had won the bet!
Marlow

Postby Pego » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:08 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Last night the #1 team met an unranked team in the L.A. Coliseum. Of course that's not a surprise since USC started out the season #1 and Notre Dame started out unranked. But what wasn't expected was that the teams would flip flop, with Notre Dame rising to the #1 ranking and USC falling out of the rankings. Has this ever happened before? I know this is the first time that a AP preseason unranked team has ever finished the season #1 in the BCS era. By the way, Notre Dame held eight of its 12 opponents to their lowest score of the season and their defense only allowed one rushing touchdown for the entire season. Additionally, they allowed minus 5 yards for the entire season in first-and-goal situations. :shock:

Yesterday, we found out why the ACC is the ACC, with the SEC going 4-0 in ACC-SEC matchups, including dominating wins over the two best teams in the conference, #10 Florida State and #11 Clemson. I hope Jimbo Fisher will shut his pie hole now.

Because of Florida's very strong computer ranking, due to wins over four top-12 teams (Texas A&M, LSU, South Carolina and Florida State), I wouldn't count them out of the Crystal Football picture just yet. So far, both Georgia and Alabama have only one top-12 win on their resumes, so even winning the SEC championship game will only give the winner half as many top-12 wins as Florida.

I don't see how could Florida leap over the winner of Alabama-Georgia regardless of the merits.
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:28 am

Pego wrote:I don't see how could Florida leap over the winner of Alabama-Georgia regardless of the merits.

If Florida finshes #3 in the human polls, which they should, their high computer ranking might be enough to get them past the winner of the SEC Championship game, who will be #2 in the human polls.

By the way, I think voters will be a lot less likely to give Oregon the benefit of the doubt in the future, after Stanford exposed what would happen to their basketball-on-grass offense if it had to face one of the best SEC schools or Notre Dame.
jazzcyclist

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Pego wrote:I don't see how could Florida leap over the winner of Alabama-Georgia regardless of the merits.

If Florida finshes #3 in the human polls, which they should, their high computer ranking might be enough to get them past the winner of the SEC Championship game, who will be #2 in the human polls.

By the way, I think voters will be a lot less likely to give Oregon the benefit of the doubt in the future, after Stanford exposed what would happen to their basketball-on-grass offense if it had to face one of the best SEC schools or Notre Dame.

Georgia maybe. No way Florida is jumping over Bama if Bama wins.
Dutra5

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 am

Dutra5 wrote:Georgia maybe. No way Florida is jumping over Bama if Bama wins.

There's no way Florida jumps Georgia (to whom they lost, head-to-head) if Ga wins!!
The BCS Game is set!
ND vs. SEC winner.

Rose will be Stanford vs. Neb
Orange: FSU - Louisville (Big East Champ?! - should be loser of SEC game)
Sugar: Gators and Sooners
Fiesta: KSt and Oregon - great game!!!

I'm very pleased that 12-0 OhioSt is outside looking in, with their sad puppy-dog eyes and their noses pressed up against the Bowl window. :twisted:
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:32 am

I don't know why you would say this. The computers don't know what name is on the jerseys, and like Georgia, Alabama has had only one signature win all season.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:38 am

Marlow wrote:There's no way Florida jumps Georgia (to whom they lost, head-to-head) if Ga wins!!

I beginning to think that some of you fokks don't understand how the computer rankings work.

Marlow wrote:I'm very pleased that 12-0 OhioSt is outside looking in, with their sad puppy-dog eyes and their noses pressed up against the Bowl window. :twisted:

If the NCAA had banned Ohio State in a timely manner instead of delaying the inevitable due to politics, Ohio State would have served their bowl ban two years ago when they played in the Sugar Bowl, and they would be in BCS contention today. This is poetic justice IMO.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:51 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:There's no way Florida jumps Georgia (to whom they lost, head-to-head) if Ga wins!!

I beginning to think that some of you fokks don't understand how the computer rankings work.

So give us a scenario where Fla, now idle, jumps two teams already above them in the BCS standings, one of which will beat the other and reap even greater "computer rankings", which already had them ahead of the Gators.

I'm beginning to think you don't understand how . . . math works. :shock:
Marlow

Postby j-a-m » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:52 am

Marlow wrote:Sugar: Gators and Sooners

There's still a small chance that Kent State makes the top 16 and takes that spot away from OU.
j-a-m

Postby j-a-m » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:56 am

jazzcyclist wrote:If Florida finshes #3 in the human polls, which they should, their high computer ranking might be enough to get them past the winner of the SEC Championship game, who will be #2 in the human polls.

Just because they should doesn't mean they will; Florida probably won't be much ahead of Oregon in the polls, if at all. But yeah, they should be, given that are the one-loss team with the toughest schedule.
j-a-m

Postby j-a-m » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 am

Marlow wrote:So give us a scenario where Fla, now idle, jumps two teams already above them in the BCS standings, one of which will beat the other and reap even greater "computer rankings", which already had them ahead of the Gators.

Florida is going to close in on second place between this week and next. It's most likely not enough, but close in they will.

The winner of the SEC game won't gain much, because they are already that high. Florida gains more, because right now the loser of the SEC game acts as a buffer in the polls, and that buffer disappears next week.
j-a-m

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:22 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

So give us a scenario where Fla, now idle, jumps two teams already above them in the BCS standings, one of which will beat the other and reap even greater "computer rankings", which already had them ahead of the Gators.

I'm beginning to think you don't understand how . . . math works. :shock:

Do you understand that one of the teams in front of Florida will drop in the human polls after next week which bump Florida up one spot?

Did you realize that Florida was #2 in five of the six computer polls before they beat Florida State and that beating Florida State will strengthen their computer ranking?

Did realize that by playing relative weak opponents this past weekend, both Alabama and Georgia will likely lose ground to Florida in the computers?
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 am

Two years after bringing home the Crystal Football, Gene Chizik gets the ax. I guess he's not such a good coach wthout Cam Newton.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index. ... after.html
jazzcyclist

Postby Blues » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Marlow wrote:

There's no way Florida jumps Georgia (to whom they lost, head-to-head) if Ga wins!!
The BCS Game is set!
ND vs. SEC winner.

Rose will be Stanford vs. Neb
Orange: FSU - Louisville (Big East Champ?! - should be loser of SEC game)
Sugar: Gators and Sooners
Fiesta: KSt and Oregon - great game!!!

I'm very pleased that 12-0 OhioSt is outside looking in, with their sad puppy-dog eyes and their noses pressed up against the Bowl window. :twisted:

I hate to say it, but I kinda hope you're right that it's Louisville... As an alum of the school that will play Louisville on Thursday night for the Big East's BCS berth, I think it's more of an injustice this year than in any other that a Big East team will get a BCS berth over many teams that are obviously superior... Regardless of whether Big East champ Louisville or Big East champ Rutgers plays the ACC champ or the Big 12 champ or the SEC #2 or #3, it might be one of the most lopsided games in BCS bowl history.. :(
Blues

PreviousNext