Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:37 pm

polevaultpower
 
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: A Temperate Island

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby Marlow » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:43 pm

So the obvious question is: can she actually make a 'living' as a pro wPVer? Stacy and Jenn did it, but has any other Ami, especially one with a sub-15 (4.50/14-9) PR?
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Marlow wrote:So the obvious question is: can she actually make a 'living' as a pro wPVer? Stacy and Jenn did it, but has any other Ami, especially one with a sub-15 (4.50/14-9) PR?


I don't think this was about money, I think this was about the coaching change at Tech not meeting her needs. Hard for any vaulters to make a living at it right now.
polevaultpower
 
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: A Temperate Island

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby Marlow » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:52 pm

polevaultpower wrote:I don't think this was about money, I think this was about the coaching change at Tech not meeting her needs. Hard for any vaulters to make a living at it right now.

But now she has to pay for college. Couldn't she just wait a year to 'go pro'? Or even transfer? Just seems odd, when she's on scholarship.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:33 pm

It says that she completed high school in three years and is finishing college comp in three but is already 21 (of curse, this is her fourth year of college). She is could be older than Hasay, who has done four years of each.

She only has to foot one semester of college and she is a Texas resident, so it probably is not a large amount of money.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby tandfman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:11 am

26mi235 wrote:It says that she completed high school in three years and is finishing college comp in three but is already 21 (of curse, this is her fourth year of college). She is could be older than Hasay, who has done four years of each.

She only has to foot one semester of college and she is a Texas resident, so it probably is not a large amount of money.

No way to tell how much money is involved without knowing how many credits she needs for graduation. But It has to be a few thousand dollars, and I honestly don't see how someone at her level is going to make a dime vaulting between now and next June. There has to be something more going on--the coaching change explanation mentioned by pvp sounds plausible.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby polevaultpower » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:42 am

I hate to state the obvious, but if she didn't decide until late fall to quit the team, I would imagine her fall semester was already paid for. I don't think they can retroactively yank your scholarship and send you a bill after the semester. She may only need one class in the spring, NCAA rules don't require you to take a full load in your semester of graduation, so she may have already planned to finish up the bulk of her classes before then.

Anyway, it sounds like the coaching change wasn't going to meet her needs, and transferring schools when you're that close to graduating sucks too (I've done it), so she figured out something that works for her and it doesn't involve the NCAA, might as well take what little money you can get.
polevaultpower
 
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: A Temperate Island

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 am

polevaultpower wrote:I don't think they can retroactively yank your scholarship and send you a bill after the semester.

I wouldn't be surprised if there actually is some precedent for that.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby KLocke » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:40 am

Utterly ridiculous. Perhaps, I will be proven wrong when she jumps 4.80 soon?
KLocke
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby decafan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:07 am

polevaultpower wrote:I hate to state the obvious, but if she didn't decide until late fall to quit the team, I would imagine her fall semester was already paid for. I don't think they can retroactively yank your scholarship and send you a bill after the semester. She may only need one class in the spring, NCAA rules don't require you to take a full load in your semester of graduation, so she may have already planned to finish up the bulk of her classes before then.

Anyway, it sounds like the coaching change wasn't going to meet her needs, and transferring schools when you're that close to graduating sucks too (I've done it), so she figured out something that works for her and it doesn't involve the NCAA, might as well take what little money you can get.


If the athlete quits the team after the term has started, you definitely CAN cut their aid at that time. I believe it's pro-rated to the date they quit. Most schools don't exercise this option, but I have seen it done. I think Becca is right. This is about the coaching change and creating a plan for her future. The vault is perhaps the most technical of all the events. If she has dreams of a big-time future (of course she does), I can see why she wouldn't want to give up a year. The shelf life for a track athlete is short. Best of luck to her.
decafan
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:32 am

decafan wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:I hate to state the obvious, but if she didn't decide until late fall to quit the team, I would imagine her fall semester was already paid for. I don't think they can retroactively yank your scholarship and send you a bill after the semester. She may only need one class in the spring, NCAA rules don't require you to take a full load in your semester of graduation, so she may have already planned to finish up the bulk of her classes before then.

Anyway, it sounds like the coaching change wasn't going to meet her needs, and transferring schools when you're that close to graduating sucks too (I've done it), so she figured out something that works for her and it doesn't involve the NCAA, might as well take what little money you can get.


If the athlete quits the team after the term has started, you definitely CAN cut their aid at that time. I believe it's pro-rated to the date they quit. Most schools don't exercise this option, but I have seen it done. I think Becca is right. This is about the coaching change and creating a plan for her future. The vault is perhaps the most technical of all the events. If she has dreams of a big-time future (of course she does), I can see why she wouldn't want to give up a year. The shelf life for a track athlete is short. Best of luck to her.


So, is it clear that she has quit the team or that she will do so when the term is over? Further, since she had a change in her coach, the school would get a pretty bad reputation if they cut her scholarship even if they were unconstrained in that regard. It seems to me that people weighing in fairly strongly on this being a poor choice to do not have anywhere near enough information about the particulars. Maybe her folks are rich; since they have not paid much for college (assuming a full ride, which seems highly likely) it would be much less than most would contribute. Maybe she has academic scholarships as well that have spliced in. And, for where she is, she is no slouch as a vaulter. If she stays there and makes no progress she is wasting a lot more than in-state tuition; the rest is a wash as she is out moving forward.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby tandfman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:41 pm

26mi235 wrote:So, is it clear that she has quit the team or that she will do so when the term is over?

Unless the press release linked to the post that started this thread is bogus (and there's no reason to think that), it is quite clear that she will no longer vault for Texas Tech.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby polevaultpower » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:08 pm

I got the press release from her dad, who also texted me about it, it's not bogus.

Remember that Shade also graduated HS a year early and gave up her senior season of eligibility because she felt that competing on her own would be more productive for her than competing for her school team and being restricted by UIL rules. I think there were also some coaching changes at her HS that played a role in that decision.

I wasn't in the loop on any of this, but I know Shade and her family pretty well and it doesn't surprise me given the coaching situation. When I saw her coach left Tech and who the replacement was, I didn't think for a second that she would compete for Tech this year.

That's not a knock on the current coach at Tech. There are few coaches who Shade would be willing to work under, and few coaches who could handle her. She's a bit of a spitfire :wink:
polevaultpower
 
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: A Temperate Island

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 18.99s » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:43 pm

decafan wrote:If the athlete quits the team after the term has started, you definitely CAN cut their aid at that time. I believe it's pro-rated to the date they quit.

However, what if she gave her "resignation" date as December 31st, and intends to keep training with the team until then even though she obviously won't compete for them next season? If she did that, I'd think it's less likely that they could or would unilaterally kick her off the team mid-semester and also yank the scholarship for the remainder of the semester.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 18.99s » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:49 pm

26mi235 wrote:Maybe her folks are rich; since they have not paid much for college (assuming a full ride, which seems highly likely) it would be much less than most would contribute. Maybe she has academic scholarships as well that have spliced in. And, for where she is, she is no slouch as a vaulter. If she stays there and makes no progress she is wasting a lot more than in-state tuition; the rest is a wash as she is out moving forward.

Did you mean she "isn't wasting a lot more ..."?
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:05 pm

18.99s wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Maybe her folks are rich; since they have not paid much for college (assuming a full ride, which seems highly likely) it would be much less than most would contribute. Maybe she has academic scholarships as well that have spliced in. And, for where she is, she is no slouch as a vaulter. If she stays there and makes no progress she is wasting a lot more than in-state tuition; the rest is a wash as she is out moving forward.

Did you mean she "isn't wasting a lot more ..."?


No, I meant that the time she was wasting is more than the tuition cost (of departing, the implied alternative). [my computer is behaving oddly and it gets hard to write with big lags, etc., so I have not been as careful with my writing.]

Also, above in terms of quitting the team, that might officially be as of the next semester, in terms of its affects on tuition payment.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:00 pm

polevaultpower wrote:1. she gave up her senior season of eligibility because she felt that competing on her own would be more productive for her than competing for her school team and being restricted by UIL rules.
2. There are few coaches who Shade would be willing to work under
3. few coaches who could handle her. She's a bit of a spitfire

That paints a very clear picture . . .
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby aaronk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Maybe meat for another thread, but....

Where goeth the NCAA (the organization and the meet) if more Shade Weygandt's leave school early to turn pro??

And not just collegians!!
Look at what Mary Cain has done!!
Tell me, do you think Sarah Baxter and maybe Gabrielle Williams and a few others might follow Shade's and Mary's lead??

If all the "stars" go pro early.....
or at least the American stars....
again, where goeth the NCAA??

Be nothing but Kenyans and other foreigners!!
(Not that that's the WORST thing that's ever happened!!)
aaronk
 
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:31 pm

aaronk wrote:Where goeth the NCAA (the organization and the meet) if more Shade Weygandt's leave school early to turn pro??

Too few can make it as a 'pro' to even worry about it. The scholarship $$$s (sometimes upwards of $30,000/yr) represent more more than they'll make in a 'career'.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby aaronk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Marlow wrote:
aaronk wrote:Where goeth the NCAA (the organization and the meet) if more Shade Weygandt's leave school early to turn pro??

Too few can make it as a 'pro' to even worry about it. The scholarship $$$s (sometimes upwards of $30,000/yr) represent more more than they'll make in a 'career'.


Yeah, you're right!!
Not enough "Lebron James's" in this country to close down the "amateurs"!! ( :lol: )
aaronk
 
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby tandfman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:37 pm

aaronk wrote:Maybe meat for another thread, but....

Where goeth the NCAA (the organization and the meet) if more Shade Weygandt's leave school early to turn pro??

And not just collegians!!
Look at what Mary Cain has done!!
Tell me, do you think Sarah Baxter and maybe Gabrielle Williams and a few others might follow Shade's and Mary's lead??

If all the "stars" go pro early.....
or at least the American stars....
again, where goeth the NCAA??

Be nothing but Kenyans and other foreigners!!
(Not that that's the WORST thing that's ever happened!!)

Good athletes turning pro before completing their eligibility is not something that just started this year. Far more prominent athletes than Shane Weygandt have done it, and the NCAA has survived quite well. I'm not concerned.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby decafan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:45 pm

18.99s wrote:
However, what if she gave her "resignation" date as December 31st, and intends to keep training with the team until then even though she obviously won't compete for them next season? If she did that, I'd think it's less likely that they could or would unilaterally kick her off the team mid-semester and also yank the scholarship for the remainder of the semester.


What? I don't think you understand how things work in college. This press release is most likely enough. Say the date is today. She could lose whatever the pro-rated amt would be for the rest of this semester and definitely next semester. Furthermore, if she was training with the team she would not feel the need to turn pro and go get another coach. It is also very likely she gave up her scholarship so Texas Tech can go out and get a mid-year on her money.
What do you mean "kick her off the team"? She is a megastar turning pro. She quit the team and therefore has no claim on any scholarship money from here on out. I have no issues with her decision, but don't use phrases like "kick her off" and "yank the scholarship"-as if her school has done anything wrong. She is going pro. Her relationship with TTU as a student athlete is officially over. She filed for divorce.
decafan
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 pm

aaronk wrote:If all the "stars" go pro early.....
or at least the American stars....
again, where goeth the NCAA??


Giving up the 8th semester is hardly the sure sign of the apocalypse. I am almost stunned by the negative reactions of people here. Do you have a clue about what her coaching situation will be if she stays? I do not know in particular, but the coach she went there for is gone, and there are not a ton of great PV coaches and she likely does not like what she sees coming there. Also note that she is not the top T&F athlete on campus, since Kennedy Kithuka just ran away with the NCAA XC title many had deeded to Lawi Lalang (he transferred from an NAIA school as a junior).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby j-a-m » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:18 pm

26mi235 wrote: Further, since she had a change in her coach, the school would get a pretty bad reputation if they cut her scholarship even if they were unconstrained in that regard.

Exactly, especially with her being the school record holder.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby j-a-m » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:19 pm

decafan wrote: She filed for divorce.

Only after the school cheated on her by changing coaches.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby j-a-m » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 pm

polevaultpower wrote:Anyway, it sounds like the coaching change wasn't going to meet her needs, and transferring schools when you're that close to graduating sucks too (I've done it), so she figured out something that works for her and it doesn't involve the NCAA, might as well take what little money you can get.

If she stays healthy this year she has a realistic chance of making the WC team; and if she feels going pro a bit early improves her chances of achieving this, then sure, go for it.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:55 am

j-a-m wrote:
decafan wrote: She filed for divorce.

Only after the school cheated on her by changing coaches.

Oh pleeez. She was not married to the coach; she was married to the team and the school. Coaching changes happen all the time. Jumpers came to Florida to be with Dick Booth. Oops, he's gone to Bama.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby TXred2016 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:43 am

polevaultpower wrote:I got the press release from her dad, who also texted me about it, it's not bogus.

Remember that Shade also graduated HS a year early and gave up her senior season of eligibility because she felt that competing on her own would be more productive for her than competing for her school team and being restricted by UIL rules. I think there were also some coaching changes at her HS that played a role in that decision.

I wasn't in the loop on any of this, but I know Shade and her family pretty well and it doesn't surprise me given the coaching situation. When I saw her coach left Tech and who the replacement was, I didn't think for a second that she would compete for Tech this year.

That's not a knock on the current coach at Tech. There are few coaches who Shade would be willing to work under, and few coaches who could handle her. She's a bit of a spitfire :wink:


Bad info! I'm on the team. I know for a FACT Shade quit the team before we even found out Coach Rock was gone. Trust me, everyone knew she quit the team and gave up her scholarship. Neither HS or college quitting was about coaching. It was and still is about Shade. EXCELLENT vaulter, but worst attitude and teammate you could imagine...

Wish her the best, but love the peace in the building. Her and coach Rock's relationship was not as "peachy" as you have been lead to believe. Spitfire is as nice of description I've ever heard Shade called.
TXred2016
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:55 am

Marlow wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:1. she gave up her senior season of eligibility because she felt that competing on her own would be more productive for her than competing for her school team and being restricted by UIL rules.
2. There are few coaches who Shade would be willing to work under
3. few coaches who could handle her. She's a bit of a spitfire

That paints a very clear picture . . .


TXred2016 wrote:1. Shade quit the team before we even found out Coach Rock was gone. Neither HS or college quitting was about coaching. It was and still is about Shade.
2. Her and coach Rock's relationship was not as "peachy" as you have been lead to believe.
3. Spitfire is as nice of description I've ever heard Shade called.

Same picture.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby TXred2016 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:13 am

Marlow wrote:
Marlow wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:1. she gave up her senior season of eligibility because she felt that competing on her own would be more productive for her than competing for her school team and being restricted by UIL rules.
2. There are few coaches who Shade would be willing to work under
3. few coaches who could handle her. She's a bit of a spitfire

That paints a very clear picture . . .


TXred2016 wrote:1. Shade quit the team before we even found out Coach Rock was gone. Neither HS or college quitting was about coaching. It was and still is about Shade.
2. Her and coach Rock's relationship was not as "peachy" as you have been lead to believe.
3. Spitfire is as nice of description I've ever heard Shade called.

Same picture.


Yeah, but now all of the scholarship and coaching change talks can come to an end... She gave up on both immediately after last season. Maybe the right new coach could have possibly reeled her back in, but she is quite a spitfire...
TXred2016
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 18.99s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:56 am

decafan wrote:What? I don't think you understand how things work in college. This press release is most likely enough. Say the date is today. She could lose whatever the pro-rated amt would be for the rest of this semester and definitely next semester. Furthermore, if she was training with the team she would not feel the need to turn pro and go get another coach. It is also very likely she gave up her scholarship so Texas Tech can go out and get a mid-year on her money.
What do you mean "kick her off the team"? She is a megastar turning pro. She quit the team and therefore has no claim on any scholarship money from here on out. I have no issues with her decision, but don't use phrases like "kick her off" and "yank the scholarship"-as if her school has done anything wrong.


If her stated termination date is in the future (December 31st, as in my example, or some earlier December date which is after the last day of classes for the semester), but they decide to yank the scholarship immediately and want her to pay for tuition and room & board prorata for the rest of the semester, that is kicking her off the team.

When athletes with remaining eligibility tell the school that they plan to graduate or turn pro after the end of current semester, I've never heard of schools yanking scholarships mid-semester and demanding that they pay the remaining fraction of the semester.

But if her actual end date was on or before that press release and she's already stopped training with the team, that's a different matter than the future end date scenario which I'm talking about here.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:22 am

A scholarship, as it was explained to me, is a renewable (by both sides) contract. If an athlete fulfills her team obligations during the current season, she stays on scholarship. If not, not.
If an athlete is in a spring sport and quits at the end of the fall, she earned her scholarship in the fall semester (assuming she did what was asked of her then) but not for the spring semester.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 18.99s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am

Marlow wrote:A scholarship, as it was explained to me, is a renewable (by both sides) contract. If an athlete fulfills her team obligations during the current season, she stays on scholarship. If not, not.
If an athlete is in a spring sport and quits at the end of the fall, she earned her scholarship in the fall semester (assuming she did what was asked of her then) but not for the spring semester.

That's what I thought.

Consider 3 scenarios:

1. Actually quitting before the end of the fall semester
2. A mid-semester announcement of the intention to quit at the end of the fall semester, and to participitate in training and all other team activities until the end of the semester.
3. Staying silent during the fall semester while participating in all training and team activities, then announcing and doing the actual quitting at the end of the semester.

To my understanding, #2 and #3 are equivalent as far as the scholarship is concerned; it remains in full for the fall semester but does not continue to the spring.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby tandfman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:42 am

I assume that if she's actually signed a pro contract (and I've no reason to think she has), that would be tantamount to quitting the team.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby TXred2016 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:50 am

Telling the head coach that you quit in July and not showing up to a single practice, team meeting, or compliance meeting in the fall means both you and the track program have parted ways... No need for further scholarship talks under these circumstances.
TXred2016
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:06 pm

tandfman wrote:I assume that if she's actually signed a pro contract (and I've no reason to think she has)

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if anyone has offered her anything.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 18.99s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:18 pm

TXred2016 wrote:Telling the head coach that you quit in July and not showing up to a single practice, team meeting, or compliance meeting in the fall means both you and the track program have parted ways... No need for further scholarship talks under these circumstances.


If that's what she did, she wouldn't have gotten any scholarship for the fall semester to begin with, so any talk of yanking anything half-way and expecting pro-rated reimbursement would be indeed moot.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby ExCoastRanger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:I assume that if she's actually signed a pro contract (and I've no reason to think she has)

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if anyone has offered her anything.


You're a U.S. pole vaulter, you're done with school (for whatever reason) and you're going to keep jumping because, you know, it's what you do and you're not done doing it. Saying you're going pro sounds a lot better -- and at least opens the door for offers -- than saying you're "going unattatched."
ExCoastRanger
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: North of where I was.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests