Something going on at Texas?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Something going on at Texas?

Postby vip » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:35 am

Randy Riggs of the Austin paper just tweeted that women's coach Bev Kearney was placed on administrative leave while the school investigates the program. Details, anyone?
vip

Re: Something going on at Texas?

Postby TxHottrack » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:29 am

Say it ain't so!!! Anyone have any details?
TxHottrack

Postby polevaultpower » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 am

Not many details yet: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/te ... story.html

Sounds like something big is brewing...
polevaultpower

Postby TxHottrack » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 am

polevaultpower wrote:Not many details yet: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/te ... story.html

Sounds like something big is brewing...

It sounds that way. smh
TxHottrack

Postby guru » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Nothing that involves the term "paid administrative leave" ever ends well...
guru

Postby gh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Yes, has that same death knell attached to it that "gh, please report to the principal's office" has!
gh

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:31 pm

obe
Last edited by Marlow on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlow

Postby Cooter Brown » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:22 pm

I've heard from someone that would know, what they have heard. If it's accurate, it's not NCAA rules related at all.
Cooter Brown

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 pm

gh wrote:Yes, has that same death knell attached to it that "gh, please report to the principal's office" has!

Way back when I was one of the first batch of experiments for ADD and meds. Short version: They gave me sporadic placebos (unknown to me); in every single case I ended up in the principals office. I Ended up in the principals office on no other occasions the rest of my schooling.
26mi235

Postby tandfman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Not a good week for iconic figures. Gen. Petraeus, Bev Kearney and even Elmo! Who's next, Santa Claus?
tandfman

Postby guru » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:17 pm

tandfman wrote:Not a good week for iconic figures...Elmo!

Accuser recants

http://news.yahoo.com/man-accused-elmo- ... 22618.html
guru

Postby gh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:10 pm

brief news report now on front page says Kearney had been targeted for a raise shortly before her suspension. Strange indeed.
gh

Postby guru » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Curiouser and curiouser.

Financials regarding Kearney, via the AP

Kearney has been at Texas 21 years and has won six national titles. Her current contract includes a base salary of about $270,000 plus incentives for winning championships, as well as bonuses for endorsements and her work conducting the school’s annual minority athlete symposium.

The contract changes school officials were considering would have paid her $397,000 in 2012-2013, plus a $25,000 longevity bonus. Kearney’s compensation would be up to $475,000 in minimum salary plus bonuses by 2017.
guru

Postby gh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:44 pm

boy, did I go into the wrong line of work!
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Yes, but Texas has that Longhorn Network thing and a huge revenue inflow with much higher salaries for the football fourth assistant to the secondary assistant of the main primary associate of the backup football coach...
26mi235

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Also remember Kearney only coaches the Texas women, unlike most of the big time track coaches who coach men and women. I'm sure the other coaches are disappointed to see her pay raise put on hold, since raises like hers give all of them more bargaining power.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:19 pm

It'd be interesting to hear what our regular posters college professors (we have quite a few of those) think of this.
Pego

Postby MJR » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:06 pm

gh wrote:brief news report now on front page says Kearney had been targeted for a raise shortly before her suspension. Strange indeed.

Eerily similar to the Logan firing. Wonder if Hightower was involved here too. :evil:
MJR

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Think of WHAT? What is it?
26mi235

Postby Mighty Favog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 am

Pego wrote:It'd be interesting to hear what our regular posters college professors (we have quite a few of those) think of this.
I am not, but my wife is, and her Ph.D. program included a few courses on higher ed law. Were she fool enough to pursue yet another degree (and were I to fail in my promise to not let her do so), she thinks being a university counsel would be a fascinating job--or at least more interesting than the one she currently has. I'll send the story past her and see what her reactions are.

No doubt, UT's university counsel is knee-deep in this.
Mighty Favog

Postby gh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:07 am

Cooter Brown wrote:I've heard from someone that would know, what they have heard. If it's accurate, it's not NCAA rules related at all.

I hasten to add that I've heard ZERO about this on the rumor mill, so this is a thought sprung fresh from my own fevered little brain:

What "business entity" leads to more headlines about "impropriety" than all others combined? Allow me to suggest non-profit foundations. So my guess is there are questions about that, since her Pursuit Of Dreams Foundation is such a significant part of her career.
gh

Postby guru » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:18 am

gh wrote:What "business entity" leads to more headlines about "impropriety" than all others combined? Allow me to suggest non-profit foundations.

Indeed. Just ask the Kersees
guru

Postby LH06 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:07 pm

LH06

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:02 am

gh wrote:Yes, has that same death knell attached to it that "gh, please report to the principal's office" has!

When did that happen?? What did you do?? :mrgreen:
Tuariki

Postby guru » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 am

LH06 wrote:http://www.texassports.com/sports/w-track/spec-rel/010613aaa.html

wow...
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 am

Predictly, USA Today has a much more salacious headline than texassports.com.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... e/1811737/
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 am

Not sure what's salacious about it. Looks like just the facts.
guru

Postby guru » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:16 am

guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 am

guru wrote:Not sure what's salacious about it. Looks like just the facts.

Facts which aren't mention in the texassports.com headline.
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:26 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
guru wrote:Not sure what's salacious about it. Looks like just the facts.

Facts which aren't mention in the texassports.com headline.

Thats the difference between a statement and a news story.

It's a reasonable headline. Salacious, by my definition, would be something gh probably wouldnt appreciate me writing.
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:30 am

Since it was one of her athletes, we know it was a girl, but how many here think she would have kept her job if the athlete was a boy?
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:33 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Since it was one of her athletes, we know it was a girl, but how many here think she would have kept her job if the athlete was a boy?

2nd last paragraph of UT statement confirms female.

As for your question, I think the main issue is what was the context of the relationship coming to light after ten years?
guru

Postby Master Po » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:44 am

guru's question is the one I would most like to have answered.
Master Po

Postby Cooter Brown » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:52 am

Cooter Brown

Postby guru » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:25 am

Cooter Brown wrote:http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/college/texas-kearney-to-step-down/nTnq5/

I posted that link a bit earlier, and Kearney goes to great pains to avoid discussing the relationship or why it's now an issue ten years later. Also, I found it curious that, despite the fact she resigned, both she and her lawyer subtlely hint at a lawsuit.
guru

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:28 am

This situation is one of total hypocrisy and is so undeserving a fate for Bev Kearney.

What did we have in 2002? We had 2 consenting ADULTS. It is none of the business of the school. of the state, of the government what 2 consenting ADULTS do in their bedroom.

The unanswered question is "After 10 years, what did Bev Kearney do to piss off her former girl friend?"

Bev Kearney's refusal to name or criticise her former girl friend only increases my admiration for her. I hope she sues the crap out of UT and gets the huge settlement she deserves. And I hope that she is able to continue coaching somewhere.

She is one Texan I do admire - even if she doesn't ride a bicycle.

I also think there is a large element of truth in jazzcyclist's pondering on what would have happened if it had been a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend.

And on the subject of hypocrisy in regards to this generic subject matter - sex - I have just arrived in Los Angeles having spent the past 5 days in that city, favoured by Favor, where prostitution is illegal, Las Vegas.

The blind hypocrisy of the USA on the sex subject was just unreal. Every street corner 2 or 3 people handing out cards for girls to visit you in your room for a $69 "hands-off" :lol: :lol: fully nude look. And of course no actual prostitution takes place following these private viewings.
Tuariki

Postby guru » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:40 am

Tuariki wrote:This situation is one of total hypocrisy and is so undeserving a fate for Bev Kearney.

What did we have in 2002? We had 2 consenting ADULTS. It is none of the business of the school. of the state, of the government what 2 consenting ADULTS do in their bedroom.

The simple fact of the matter is whether it's a boss/employee, teacher/student, or coach/athlete, the person holding the position of power has a legal - not to mention moral - responsibility not to engage in any conduct that steps over the line. It's in the UT Code of Conduct, and she agreed to abide by it when she signed her six-figure contracts(which pretty much neuters any legal action before it would get to a courtroom door).
guru

Postby tandfman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:34 am

Tuariki wrote:I also think there is a large element of truth in jazzcyclist's pondering on what would have happened if it had been a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend.

You guys apparently have not read the article carefully. She was forced to resign because she violated a university policy that required that she report any relationship with someone on her team:
UT faculty or staff members in supervisory positions must report any consensual relationship with an “employee, student and/or student employee who is directly supervised, taught, evaluated or advised by that employee.”

Since she coached only the women's team, had the athlete been male, he would not have been "directly supervised, taught, evaluated or advised" by Kearney and so she would not have violated UT policy by not reporting it.

That violation seems to have been the basis for her having to resign, and so I think it's pretty clear that nothing "would have happened if it had been a boyfriend".
tandfman

Postby Master Po » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 am

I get Tuariki's critique of the hypocrisy of sexual mores in the USA, and I concur with it, pretty much. While the USA is probably one of the world leaders in this regard, I don't think we're alone in the field of sexual hypocrisy. (Still, I feel bad for Bev Kearney and I still wonder about the circumstances that would bring this to light and bring her career to an end a decade later).

But -- all that noted -- I completely agree w guru. I have worked in colleges and universities for 30ish years, and even though it's pretty much always the case that everyone is a legal adult and is employed/enrolled by one's own consent and decisions, the relationships that faculty & administrators have with students are close and complex and so need to have clear boundaries. On here, we often worry over the ways in which collegiate athletes are taken advantage of, exploited, not compensated, etc., in a variety of ways in their athletic endeavors. This issue is actually related to those concerns. The ways in which personal relationships -- yes, between consenting adults but with different relations of power and influence -- in these environments can go wrong are many and serious. As restrictive as such policies may seem to be, I have always supported institutional guidelines that mark clearly where the boundaries are. And, in any case, as I understand the Texas policy -- it didn't prohibit a relationship; rather, it required the relationship to be disclosed. One might say that it's none of anyone else's business, but in this context, it was, and all parties were consenting to that institutional relationship.

And, as contradictory as it seems, something about this case and its timing of coming to light bugs me.
Master Po

Postby Marlow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:53 am

Master Po wrote:I get Tuariki's critique of the hypocrisy of sexual mores in the USA, and I concur with it, pretty much. While the USA is probably one of the world leaders in this regard,

Thanks for the irrelevant rant. She violated her contract, pure and simple.
Marlow

Next