Left Behind

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Left Behind

Postby KDFINE » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:54 pm

I finally got electricity back today, Friday, just before noon. So, I missed out on election day's free speech forums. I would have had something to say about some of the topics particularly about global warming, since I don't ever recall a hurricane hitting New York this late in the year.
KDFINE

Re: Left Behind

Postby Marlow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:02 pm

KDFINE wrote:since I don't ever recall a hurricane hitting New York this late in the year.

It's all about trends and cumulative data, not one-off storm systems. This was the mildest hurricane season in Florida in a LONG time. We're now in unseasonably cold weather here. Is a new Ice Age upon us?

That said . . . what happened in the Arctic this summer . . . :shock:

[Am I about to get banned again? I've lost track of what's 'political' these days! :D]
Marlow

Postby gh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:36 pm

global warming has never been an unacceptable topic here; doesn't require a free-speech period in which to address it.

One of our longest and most popular threads is on that very subject. (nobody has added to it in a month or so)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23600

But as Marlowe says, one isolated odd incident does not a trend make. (I'm a firm believer in global warming, but I think most of the experts agreed that Sandy can't be directly pegged to that)
gh

Postby KDFINE » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:56 pm

My attempted point was that I've been off the grid due to the storm, and thus missed my opportunity to put my 2 cents in on a few topics on Tuesday. I'll just have to wait until July 4th. Of course I had more pressing concerns on Tuesday than sounding off.
KDFINE

Postby BruceFlorman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:57 am

A tweet earlier this week from Daily Beast writer David Frum:
Horrible possibility: if the geeks are right about Ohio, might they also be right about climate?
BruceFlorman