Tell Iaaf to stop screwing up their site.

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Tell Iaaf to stop screwing up their site.

Postby fasttrack85 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:46 am

They have switched over to a new format and now alot of valuable information is missing. For example they no longer show the date when a seasons best occured for a specific athletes. Obsessed track fans love all the data they can get, I know I do. So please let your voice be heard if you agree.

Here is the link to contact them

http://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/contact-us
fasttrack85

Re: Tell Iaaf to stop screwing up their site.

Postby j-a-m » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:01 am

fasttrack85 wrote:They have switched over to a new format and now alot of valuable information is missing.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday for the first time, really a change for the worse.
j-a-m

Postby fasttrack85 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 am

Please let them know that. Dont stay silent voice your opinion to the link that I sent you.
fasttrack85

Postby toyracer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:12 am

Message sent, thanks for pointing this out.
toyracer

Postby gh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 am

y ou can always look right here, of course

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index. ... yyear=2012
gh

Postby fasttrack85 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:14 am

gh wrote:y ou can always look right here, of course

boooo trackandfieldnews is missing wind info.
fasttrack85

Postby athleticshushmail » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:43 pm

I've heard that in the past, it was possible to order dvds of iaaf events from them, through their website. Has anybody had experience with that? Thanks.
athleticshushmail

Postby 18.99s » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Their new "Top Lists" page is really confusing to navigate.

http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists/index.html
18.99s

Postby Pelpa » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:04 pm

gh wrote:y ou can always look right here, of course

niiiiiiiiiiice.
Pelpa

Postby Tuariki » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:34 pm

They are missing heaps of stuff. Check out athlete bios.
Must be time to send Diack off with the setting sun if he allows this sort of backwardness to happen on his watch.
Tuariki

Postby Tuariki » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Their lists are all screwed up. When you click on Olympic records, World Youth Bests etc all you get are the world records - nothing changes.

Maybe Scott Forstall also headed up the IAAF design while screwing up Apple's GPS MAP application.
Tuariki

Postby nianchengyu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Many valuable links disappears,as for introduction of athletes,adding some big photos are not a bad thing but no height ,weight and simple accounts.What is more ,no major events videos and individual marks of combined events anymore although we can see most of them in other spots.
nianchengyu

Postby preston » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:35 am

Tuariki wrote:They are missing heaps of stuff. Check out athlete bios.
Must be time to send Diack off with the setting sun if he allows this sort of backwardness to happen on his watch.

Diack? Hersch, Coe and Bubka are VP's!!! They are just as culpable. It is so unfortunate that the next president of our sport will NOT be from outside of the IAAF council.

Tuariki wrote:Maybe Scott Forstall also headed up the IAAF design while screwing up Apple's GPS MAP application.

Seriously, doubtful. The "look and feel" experience is closer -if not identical- to the new Windows 8 than anything Apple has ever done. I thought it was a promotional experiment.
preston

Postby tandfman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 am

fasttrack85 wrote:They have switched over to a new format and now alot of valuable information is missing. For example they no longer show the date when a seasons best occured for a specific athletes.

Did they ever? I don't recall that info being part of the athlete bios in the old format.
tandfman

Postby gh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:24 am

preston wrote:
Tuariki wrote:They are missing heaps of stuff. Check out athlete bios.

Diack? Hersch, Coe and Bubka are VP's!!! They are just as culpable.......

Just as culpable, indeed. And that culpability is.... ZERO!

If the upper management of [insert any major company here, which is what the IAAF is] is micromanaging the everyday operations of their organization to that level, that in itself would be cause for getting the boot, not "letting it happen on their watch."

Remind me to send a note off to Mr. Obama and tell him that I think the first thing he should be doing when his new term starts is to upgrade the way that the Forest Service is presenting Smokey The Bear. What the hell is he thinking?!

I would also note—having lived through multiple iterations thereof—that you can't offer a major design revamp of anything (website, magazine, menu) without having the boo-birds come out in knee-jerk force, making it sound as if there's a true revolution afoot when in reality our old friends the silent majority are content to go with the flow.

having said that.... I have to admit that I think the IAAF labored mightily here and brought forth a mouse. My instant impression on the new look was that it rechannels the credits from a '60s TV cartoon like The Pink Panther. But hey, I don't really care what something looks like so long as it's functional.

But I agree that some functionality has been lost. And that's beyond the usual "I can't find anything" that afflicts us all when confronted with something different. Fortunately, it's still a work in progress, and we can hope that as the kinks are worked out it will continue to serve all well.

(disclaimer of sorts: I've been on a first-name basis with Seb, Sergey & Bob for years/decades, so if you think that might cast doubt on my journalistic integrity here, so be it.) (Diack, on the other hand, wouldn't know me if I fell in his soup)
gh

Postby lionelp1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:24 am

An excellent site but different, but as with all changes you have to adapt to what you have been doing and searching for on the previous site. I personally can do without the Facebook and Twitter stuff.!!

Enjoying the Top Lists but its different to the last time. A slight difference I could do without is that the top lists are either all time( an improvement) or yearly, but of performances rather than performers... got to rely now on Tilastopaja for top lists of performers but the list of athletes on the new IAAF site seems longer than before..

Results list is fine and can now easily follow the top meets of the various years. Biogs are not so good ??
lionelp1

Postby fasttrack85 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:10 pm

tandfman wrote:
fasttrack85 wrote:They have switched over to a new format and now alot of valuable information is missing. For example they no longer show the date when a seasons best occured for a specific athletes.

Did they ever? I don't recall that info being part of the athlete bios in the old format.

Yes they did under progressions it used to show the season best for each athlete wind the wind and exact date and location. Now they no longer show the date. I dont get idiotic decisions. They should be figuring out how to give the fans more not less.
fasttrack85

Postby fasttrack85 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 pm

I dont know what the heck you guys are all talking about. The new site is shit no questions asked. I don't care about Mac or Windows 8 blah blah blah. I want my information that i use to get that's it. I dont care if the graphics are pink, purple, italic, or roman. I feel they should be putting on more and more info as time goes by.

Leaving out the date is very important. I have used IAAF to come to solid conclusions about how some elite athletes train and what the results are like. For example looking at Carmelita and Sanya's old progressions info you can tell they are late peakers. You can tell some sprinters follow a long to short if you see a solid 400 time in April/May and a soli d 100 time in Aug/Sept. It is little things like that. Am i the only one who gives a damn?

I would send them 300 emails if i had the tie to create 300 different usernames. I need your guys help. That is like the bible of trackandfield and they cant start getting creative and spontaneous with things that have been solid and reliable for a long time.

Once again contact them here and tell them to quit their shit.

http://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/contact-us
fasttrack85

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:35 am

I finally found time to visit the site and check out a few things of my interest. Navigation is incomparably faster. What I am missing is a direct link to fantasy, it needs to be typed in Search. I am wondering if they still offer it next year.
Pego

Postby tandfman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:18 am

Pego wrote:I finally found time to visit the site and check out a few things of my interest. Navigation is incomparably faster. What I am missing is a direct link to fantasy, it needs to be typed in Search. I am wondering if they still offer it next year.

It's incomparably faster once you get the hang of it. I was very comfortable with the old site because I knew how to navigate it and get to the things I regularly looked for. This will take a little time, I suspect. In the meantime, I too have found the Search function to be a useful way to find things.
tandfman

Postby gh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:03 am

fasttrack85 wrote:....
Leaving out the date is very important. I have used IAAF to come to solid conclusions about how some elite athletes train and what the results are like. For example looking at Carmelita and Sanya's old progressions info you can tell they are late peakers. You can tell some sprinters follow a long to short if you see a solid 400 time in April/May and a soli d 100 time in Aug/Sept. It is little things like that. Am i the only one who gives a damn? ...

You're probably one of very few. One thing you need to understand is that for a website to be effective and appealing to a wide group of general fans (which is where the traffic comes from, not from those with special interests), the rule of KISS—keep it simple stupid—is very much in play.

If you want hardcore number crunching, you'll need to consider paying for a subscription to a pure stats site like Tilastopaja, or All-Athletics.
gh

Postby toyracer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:37 am

I sent in a note of complaint about the missing info, and received a reply to the effect that it is a work in progress.
toyracer

Postby gh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:17 am

and now something that has me up in arms as well (because I think it's of import to more than just a small group of hardcores): the archive of past Olympic and World Champs results no longer shows series in the field events or the Q/q system of IDing qualifiers from one round to another (track and field).
gh

Postby preston » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 am

gh wrote:and now something that has me up in arms as well (because I think it's of import to more than just a small group of hardcores): the archive of past Olympic and World Champs results no longer shows series in the field events or the Q/q system of IDing qualifiers from one round to another (track and field).

Welcome to the darkside, gh; now you only have to find a place to point the finger...

You see, whether it's a new competitor or new fan, past results matter. Past results offers context and the historical value needed for understanding the sport. The results (yes, when they took place...even to the day) are important; just like in baseball. If this is just a mistake, then it's a mistake, but for someone to think that this information is not important -and leave it out figuring it was only hogging up space in the database- would be a clear signal that they don't understand this sport. (Hell, if it were up to me, I would have surface [cinder, grass, Mondo, Chevron, etc] added to every track result.)
Last edited by preston on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preston

Postby Daisy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 am

In this computer age there is no reason not to have the slimmed down version and then one click away the 'HD' version. Why do we have to settle for either/or?
Daisy

Postby Jon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 pm

fasttrack85 wrote:they no longer show the date when a seasons best occured for a specific athletes
They do - it's in the right-hand column:
http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/jamaica/us ... rogression
Jon

Postby Jon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:36 am

gh wrote:and now something that has me up in arms as well (because I think it's of import to more than just a small group of hardcores): the archive of past Olympic and World Champs results no longer shows series in the field events or the Q/q system of IDing qualifiers from one round to another (track and field).
Click on the '>' in the very first column on the left-hand side, and it expands to show their series. And to see the qualifiers, click on the 'summary' tab just above the results.
Jon

Postby preston » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:10 am

Jon wrote:
Click on the '>' in the very first column on the left-hand side, and it expands to show their series. And to see the qualifiers, click on the 'summary' tab just above the results.

Jon, don't know if you're making excuses for the webdesigner but this is the most impossible website I've ever used. No Hyperbole! It's like the IAAF paid the the person by how many clicks it takes the user to find the simplest information. It's horrible!

Of course, when you have IAAF VP's who don't even write emails...then the user experience of the website might not be of much concern.
preston

Postby fasttrack85 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:06 am

Jon wrote:
fasttrack85 wrote:they no longer show the date when a seasons best occured for a specific athletes

I actually wrote them about that. They replied and agreed when I told them it made no sense to take away info that was already there. Voila it is back. Always speak up and make your voice heard.
fasttrack85

Postby toyracer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:39 pm

fasttrack85 wrote:
Jon wrote:

I actually wrote them about that. They replied and agreed when I told them it made no sense to take away info that was already there. Voila it is back. Always speak up and make your voice heard.

That's exactly what I wrote them about as well. Nice to see that they kept their word (their reply to me said they were working on it).
toyracer

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:47 am

I noticed this awful development a few weeks ago and waited for corrections to be made. Looks like no-one is listening! Why can't they just stick with old format.
jeremyp

Postby skiboo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm

I absolutley loathe the new site. It is unreliable, you click on junior lists and get by default the senior 100 meter lists, never mind what you were searching for. Not only that, the new site is UGLY and just plain stupid. They can take this new site and go to hell. :D
skiboo

Postby gh » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:37 am

You can get the proper lists, but it's not easy, that's for sure. Need to do multiple button clicks to get to the Juniors, but it's doable.
gh

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:11 am

gh wrote:You can get the proper lists, but it's not easy, that's for sure. Need to do multiple button clicks to get to the Juniors, but it's doable.

I'm gald about that, I wa sgiving up on using it. You would think, visual issues aside, that the searches and links would function correctly and accurately. What jker took their money to screw that up?
eldanielfire

Postby fasttrack85 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 pm

I just realized the top lists only have the seasons best for each athletes instead of all the marks. It looks like that is something they did on purpose and plan to keep. Does anyone know where on the site i can find the old list with all the marks for the year? If they dont have it then we should attack them.
fasttrack85

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:23 pm

fasttrack85 wrote: If they dont have it then we should attack them.

Attack them? I think someone is getting a little carried away.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby fasttrack85 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:36 pm

I am armed and dangerous. One wrong move and someone is getting hurt.
fasttrack85

Postby Pego » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:18 pm

fasttrack85 wrote:I am armed and dangerous. One wrong move and someone is getting hurt.

Dirty Harry :wink: ?
Pego

Postby toyracer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:33 pm

fasttrack85 wrote:I just realized the top lists only have the seasons best for each athletes instead of all the marks. It looks like that is something they did on purpose and plan to keep. Does anyone know where on the site i can find the old list with all the marks for the year? If they dont have it then we should attack them.

They messed with that as well?

- sigh -

Okay, one more email to write.

Edit: good thing I checked: the info is still there. The default display is "best by athlete", simply select "all" and you get the full list for the year etc.
toyracer

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:12 am

Can't find anything I want to view on the new website. :( Can anyone find the PDF athlete biographies from the Olympics?
nevetsllim

Next