WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now closed)

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 am

preston wrote:
jeremyp wrote:Israel has sold out to the far right and Bibi needs them and they need him. I agree that now that Obama has won he needs to get bolder. Israel for one, Cuba another (end the sanctions), and a bold plan to cut the deficit while keeping the necessary military cuts, a plan to shore up medicare (everybody pays more, rich opt out).

The real "red line" needs to be the abandonment/dismantling of settlements AND the removal of nuclear weaponry from Israel. (the big "wink" needs to end) As long as Israel has a weapon, Iran will never stop trying to get one. Sanctions be damned.

Amen! Obama wouldn't even have to do anything proactive to stop settlement building. All it would take would be for him to withhold his veto at the U.N. the next time a settlement resolution is put on the table and the Israelis would kick Bibi to the curb faster than you can say Iranian nukes.
jazzcyclist

Postby Daisy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 am

Cooter Brown wrote:Who knew that running an anti-immigrant, anti-woman, anti-middle & working class, anti-gay, anti-science, anti-minority, pro-war, pro-theocracy platform would result in colossal failure?

I guess that is one way to look at it. In contrast, I was wondering how they could do so well.
Daisy

Postby Pego » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:44 am

Wall Street seems displeased today.
Pego

Postby aaronk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 am

Conor Dary wrote:
jeremyp wrote:
aaronk wrote:As the one lonely voice who proclaims that SARAH PALIN would have been declared President-Elect tonight...had she run...I am hesitant to state my reasons...

You should have quit while you were pondering...

Miss Half-Term! The funniest thing here. We all need a laugh... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heh.
Apparently, people on this board either don't know how to read, or are blinded to the truth.
(Except for J-A-M, and 1 or 2 others!)
So let me TRY to educate you, by telling the TRUTH about Sarah Palin, and some SOURCES of the truth.

1. It was NOT a "half-term". She was in office 2 years and 7 months and 22 days, which is just shy of TWO-THIRDS of her term, not half!

2. Why did she resign!! So MANY misconceptions about this. But all you need do to find the TRUTH is to read Chapter Five of her 3,000,000-selling memoir, "Going Rogue", the chapter title being "The Thumpin'". In one chapter, she DETAILS EXACTLY why she resigned!!

3. Is she an "idiot"? She's been an avid reader since she was 5 years old. She sought to improve the quality of education in Alaska while Governor. She wrote (Yes, SHE wrote them!!) 2 books, 100's of Facebook Notes, and many Tweets, not to mention op-eds in major newspapers and magazines.

4. She "lacks foreign policy experience"! Funny, they must have MISSED that about Obama in 2008!! While Governor, Sarah met with many foreign trade ministers, visited her Alaskan troops in Kuwait, Iraq, and at Camp Landstuhl, and in 2011, had a private dinner meeting in Israel with Prime Minister Netanyahu. Also, in a speech in Denver in 2011, she outlined a 5-point Doctrine for the Use of American Military Force. Also, the general consensus is that she OUT-debated Biden in their 2008 debate, even though Joe was Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and had 36 years in the Senate!!

5. She's a know-nothing on issues of consequence. Huh?? She spoke out, in speeches, FB Notes, op-eds, and interviews (Too many to list here!!) on Quantatative Easing, N. Korea, Iran, Egypt, Obamacare, Energy Independence, the US being "downgraded", the Constitution, the budget (or lack thereof!!), the trillion dollar debt and deficits, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, our border and immigration problem and on and on!! As noted, she laid out a Doctrine on our military, and another 5-point Doctrine on our economy (in her Indianola, Iowa speech on Sept 3, 2011).

6. She said "You can see Russia from my house!". NOPE!! Tina Fey said that. Sarah said "You can see Russia from land here in Alaska!". And THAT is TRUE!! (Look up Big and Little Diomedes Islands!!)

Continued in the next post.
aaronk

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:51 am

Daisy wrote:
Cooter Brown wrote:Who knew that running an anti-immigrant, anti-woman, anti-middle & working class, anti-gay, anti-science, anti-minority, pro-war, pro-theocracy platform would result in colossal failure?

I guess that is one way to look at it. In contrast, I was wondering how they could do so well.

Because about 40 per cent or so of the country would have voted for the GOP no matter who the candidate was. Even Miss Half-Term.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby JRM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:55 am

On the statistical side of things, Nate Silver's model proves to be virtually flawless. He was 50 for 50 on his state predictions, and the popular vote tally is looking good too.
JRM

Postby JRM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Daisy wrote:

Because about 40 per cent or so of the country would have voted for the GOP no matter who the candidate was. Even Miss Half-Term.

Well, it's probably more appropriate to say that a significant portion would have voted against Obama (the real motivation).
JRM

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:59 am

JRM wrote:On the statistical side of things, Nate Silver's model proves to be virtually flawless. He was 50 for 50 on his state predictions, and the popular vote tally is looking good too.

Sam Wang at PEC did excellent also. With even more confidence. He had the chances of an Obama win at near 99% for about 10 days or so.

The popular vote is Obama 51.1% to Romney 48.9%. Again, this exactly matches my prediction, which was state polls with a little Bayesian help from national polls.

http://election.princeton.edu/

About 3 weeks ago I stopped reading the pundits, etc. And only paid attention to Silver and Wang. So I was pretty relaxed yesterday morning.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby aaronk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:01 am

Continued from previous post.

7. She had an 88% approval rating, the highest of any Governor in the USA.

8. As Governor, she took on...and BEAT...the Big Three oil companies. (Read the book "Sarah Takes On Big Oil" by Kay Cashman and Kristen Nelson, or see the Steve Bannon documentary movie, "The Undefeated" from 2011, for a detailed account!) She passed AGIA and ACES, which paved the way for the largest private sector infrastructure project in N.American history, and for returning a large chunk of oil profits back to the people who deserved it, the Alaskan people! She also passed the most sweeping ethics bill in Alaskan history, helping to clean up what had been one of the most corrupt governments in America!!

9. "Game Change", the movie, is one big fat LIE!! Want the TRUTH about the 2008 campaign?? Read Chapter Four of "Going Rogue"! It's right there before your eyes, written by the central character herself!

10. There's so much more. She NEVER banned books from the Wasilla library, or even TRIED to! She followed the Alaska Constitution to the letter, as evidenced by her rejecting a repeal of a law allowing benefits for gay and lesbian couples. (BTW, one of her lifetime friends is a lesbian!!)

11. And finally (Though there's TONS more I could reveal!!), she, a Republican, fought against, and defeated, the Republicans in Alaska more often than she did Democrats!! She beat a 3-term incumbent Republican for Mayor. She beat a 20 year Senate vet, and incumbent Republican Governor in the primary in 2006. She, as Chairwoman of AOGCC, caused Randy Ruedrich, Commission member AND Alaska state GOP party Chairman, to resign AND be fined the largest fine against a public official in Alaska's history.
Last edited by aaronk on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronk

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 am

Daisy wrote:

Zackly!!

kuha wrote:there are media outlets that enthusiastically feed these pathetic delusions.

Oh MAN, I can't wait to see how Jon Stewart mercilessly skewers Fox News (sic) tonight!!! :lol:
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:05 am

Pego wrote:Wall Street seems displeased today.

There are many lists now circulating of the biggest winners and losers from the election; oddly, however, none of the lists I’ve seen mentions just how bad this result is for Wall Street’s Masters of the Universe.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:07 am

Marlow wrote:
Daisy wrote:

Zackly!!

kuha wrote:there are media outlets that enthusiastically feed these pathetic delusions.

Oh MAN, I can't wait to see how Jon Stewart mercilessly skewers Fox News (sic) tonight!!! :lol:

Especially Rove's meltdown on Fox...hee, hee,...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/0 ... ll-in-play
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:14 am

well, between reading all these messages here, and finding out that every Facebook friend I have is now a deep political thinker, there goes half my morning!
gh

Postby kuha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:20 am

aaronk wrote:11. And finally (Though there's TONS more I could reveal!!)

To be as charitable as possible, I think not. She is yesterday's media flurry, nothing more. Her "moment" was brief and is long gone; she has no politcial future at all on the national stage.
kuha

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 am

Conor Dary wrote:Especially Rove's meltdown on Fox...hee, hee,...

There's also a link there to Sarah Palin's take (disappointed!) and BOY does she look different! Has she lost a ton of weight? Was she sick?
Marlow

Postby gh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:28 am

DrJay wrote:F....
In Colorado, today we voted on Amendment 64, which would legalize posession of small amounts of marijuana for fun purposes, not just medical reasons (we already did that latter one) and would direct the state to tax wholesale sales of the drug:

http://www.regulatemarijuana.org/s/regu ... l-act-2012

"yes" leads 54% to 46% early returns

a tweet I saw <<With Colorado legalizing marijuana, Peyton Manning's decision to buy 21 Papa Johns franchises is more brilliant than I gave him credit for>>
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:49 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned but it was surprising how little the supposed GOP money advantage with the Citizen's United played out.

Karl Rove Sets Billionaires’ Money On Fire: Karl Rove was the bogeyman that powered thousands of Democratic fundraising emails to supporters. And they had reason to be scared. Exploiting new rules under Citizens United and a general outpouring of disgust for Obama from the nation’s richest citizens, Rove raised hundreds of millions of dollars from mega-donors, much of it anonymously.

Now he has to explain to the billionaires why their unprecedented spending earned them — nothing. For all the money spent, there’s still a Democratic president and, almost as unbelievably, a net gain in the Senate.

Just that thought would have been enough for Democrats, but Rove happened to be on live TV as the results were called on FOX News for Obama. In an epic on-air tantrum, he refused to acknowledge Obama had won, sending anchor Megyn Kelly walking off-set to ask the network’s vote analysts to explain for him why tipping point Ohio was lost to Romney. Democrats will be replaying this clip for years to cheer them up in their darker moments.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/ ... hp?ref=fpa
Conor Dary

Postby DrJay » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:58 am

gh wrote:
DrJay wrote:F....
In Colorado, today we voted on Amendment 64, which would legalize posession of small amounts of marijuana for fun purposes, not just medical reasons (we already did that latter one) and would direct the state to tax wholesale sales of the drug:

http://www.regulatemarijuana.org/s/regu ... l-act-2012

"yes" leads 54% to 46% early returns

a tweet I saw <<With Colorado legalizing marijuana, Peyton Manning's decision to buy 21 Papa Johns franchises is more brilliant than I gave him credit for>>

We have had medical marijuana legal for a number of years, with dispensaries having sprouted like weeds all over the place. I guess legalization of pot for everyone over 18 will put the dispensaries out of business, though that may take legalization at the federal level.
DrJay

Postby TN1965 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:00 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
shivfan wrote:I think a lot of non-Americans are like me right now...breathing a huge sigh of relief.

With the exception of the Israelis and the Pakistanis according to polls.

Only the right half of Israel. The left half was afraid Romney victory would give Netanyahu momentum in their election.
TN1965

Postby mump boy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:09 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Now that the election is over, I really hope that Obama will quit treating Benjamin Netanyahu with kid gloves. If ever there was a world leader who needs to be put in his place, it's him. To quote Bill Clinton after his first encounter with Bibi, "Who the fuck does he think he is? Who's the fucking superpower here?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... mney_.html

^ x10
mump boy

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 am

Netanyahu's undoing may be trying to do everything he could to get a Romney victory. Obama is not likely to forget. It reminds me of the UK's To Play the King the second in the House of Cards political trilogy, where the King Charles character tries everything to make sure the villain Francis Urquart loses the next election. FU wins and the King has to abdicate.
Conor Dary

Postby mump boy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:15 am

aaronk wrote:
3. Is she an "idiot"? She's been an avid reader since she was 5 years old.

But what newspapers did she read ? :lol:
mump boy

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 am

JRM wrote:On the statistical side of things, Nate Silver's model proves to be virtually flawless. He was 50 for 50 on his state predictions, and the popular vote tally is looking good too.

He had me sweating Virginia until the end! As I said earlier this election was a foregone conclusion in the last month unless ALL the polls were wrong, and the media did it's best to keep that hush, hush!
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:36 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Daisy wrote:

Zackly!!

Especially Rove's meltdown on Fox...hee, hee,...

I loved Megyn's "long" walk to confront the unrepentant nerds!
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics ... esk/58777/
jeremyp

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 am

tandfman wrote:
26mi235 wrote:As an addendum, the popular vote is now 2,450,000 margin for Obama and may change by another million due to the location of the remaining votes to be counted. So much for a 'narrow' victory without a popular-vote mandate'.

On the other hand, had Obama won the presidency and actually lost the popular vote, there might have been a bi-partisan movement to get rid of the electoral college. IMHO, that would be a good thing.

I my humble opinion, this is both very naive (it will NEVER happen) and a really bad idea.

It completely ignores the central and critical compromise of the Constitution. Tell me how in the world you think that 23 of the 35 smallest states are going to chose to have less political power?

In addition it is a really bad idea; currently, if there is voting fraud the effects are completely limited to a single state rather than affecting the singular total. In addition, such a rule provides an incentive to the state to have as many votes as possible. Finally, bad weather or such in a state means that the whole state loses power, and given the November timing, that means the northern portion of the country.
26mi235

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:39 am

Yea, it was like something out of SNL.
Conor Dary

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 am

aaronk wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
jeremyp wrote:
aaronk wrote:As the one lonely voice who proclaims that SARAH PALIN would have been declared President-Elect tonight...had she run...I am hesitant to state my reasons...

You should have quit while you were pondering...

Miss Half-Term! The funniest thing here. We all need a laugh... :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. It was NOT a "half-term". She was in office 2 years and 7 months and 22 days, which is just shy of TWO-THIRDS of her term, not half!
Thanks! The clarification makes all the difference. A quitter is a quitter. And one who quits their constituency for personal gain is the worst quitter.

3. Is she an "idiot"? She's been an avid reader since she was 5 years old. She sought to improve the quality of education in Alaska while Governor. She wrote (Yes, SHE wrote them!!) 2 books, 100's of Facebook Notes, and many Tweets, not to mention op-eds in major newspapers and magazines.
She is certainly not an idiot but she manages to come across as one and that's a problem.

4. She "lacks foreign policy experience"! Funny, they must have MISSED that about Obama in 2008!! While Governor, Sarah met with many foreign trade ministers, visited her Alaskan troops in Kuwait, Iraq, and at Camp Landstuhl, and in 2011, had a private dinner meeting in Israel with Prime Minister Netanyahu. Also, in a speech in Denver in 2011, she outlined a 5-point Doctrine for the Use of American Military Force. Also, the general consensus is that she OUT-debated Biden in their 2008 debate, even though Joe was Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and had 36 years in the Senate!!
Wow she's a foreign policy wonk! I saw that debate! She did not win, she simply did not lose!

5. She's a know-nothing on issues of consequence. Huh?? She spoke out, in speeches, FB Notes, op-eds, and interviews (Too many to list here!!) on Quantatative Easing, N. Korea, Iran, Egypt, Obamacare, Energy Independence, the US being "downgraded", the Constitution, the budget (or lack thereof!!), the trillion dollar debt and deficits, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, our border and immigration problem and on and on!! As noted, she laid out a Doctrine on our military, and another 5-point Doctrine on our economy (in her Indianola, Iowa speech on Sept 3, 2011).
As a rich opiner she can afford to get neocon's to write her stuff for her.

6. She said "You can see Russia from my house!". NOPE!! Tina Fey said that. Sarah said "You can see Russia from land here in Alaska!". And THAT is TRUE!! (Look up Big and Little Diomedes Islands!!)
Which was her comment about her foreign policy experience, Duh!

Continued in the next post.
jeremyp

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 am

26mi235 wrote:

In addition it is a really bad idea; currently, if there is voting fraud the effects are completely limited to a single state rather than affecting the singular total. In addition, such a rule provides an incentive to the state to have as many votes as possible.

Voter fraud is a non existent problem. The big problem at the moment is states trying to limit voters they don't like.

Personally I think we should go to a popular vote. But the main priority at the moment should be having consistent voting procedures and rules across the country, which we do not have at the moment.

http://www.salon.com/2012/06/25/penn_re ... omney_win/
Conor Dary

Postby preston » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:23 am

It seems that democrats will definitely have to be more moderate (sorry, jazz and Marlow). I just looked at the senate contests for 2012 and though both parties have a bit to defend the Democrats are more vulnerable - and if they want to control the house they won't be able to overreach, which is probably why you won't see serious filibuster reform.

Republicans are defending 13 seats and Democrats will defend 20. Of the 20 Democrats up for reelection in 2014, 7 are in "red states" (AK, AR, LA, MT, NC, SD, WV) and 2 are in the very "purple" but trending Blue VA and CO. Senator-elect Heidkamp joins Bachus, but...he may have a tough reelection. Also, If Kerry gets the SoS, then there has to be a special election for that seat and again in 2014 (can you hear Scott Brown stirring). There will be no President Obama coat-tails for these candidates and Dems tend to do awful in mid-term elections. Incumbents will be voting to protect their backs unless they can get every republican incumbent and candidate to state their honest views on rape.

President Obama's legacy for big things will grow, but without senate control he will have serious difficulty getting his SCOTUS nominations through a Vitter or Sessions filibuster. All that said, changing demographics and the right candidate for Dems in 2016 (Clinton? Castro?) could lead to pressure on republican candidates in red states.
preston

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:25 am

j-a-m wrote:Four years ago they said that about McCain, four years before that they said it about Kerry, and it keeps not working out too well. Now at least three consecutive elections were lost by the candidate who was more of a flip-flopper than his opponent. Maybe voters would appreciate some consistency in a candidate's opinions.

In terms of strategy, Obama's biggest weakness was the unpopularity of his healthcare law. And Romney was the one candidate who couldn't focus his campaign on that issue, because he did essentially the same back when he was Governor.

For one thing, Romney had a track record of saying whatever was expedient, which made his positions questionable (whether that was really his position). To think that Romney moving toward the middle did not help him is to fundamentally misunderstand the whole process this year. The only point in the campaign where he narrowed the gap was in the first debate where he caught Obama off guard by saying he was 'not-Romney', that is, taking decidedly different positions on major issues. After a while that wore off and the odds when back up to 75% Obama from mid50s to 60%.

And, Romney was by far the most moderate of the major Republican candidates (Huntsman was probably the best but had no chance as the better-known and better-financed Romney had that 'space'.

As for much of the country hating the health care law, I think that is a lot of rhetoric and not particularly close to the truth. In fact, much of the opposition is from the same people who wanted the conservative Republicans and did not sway a lot of votes one net because I think that there were independents that broke both ways on that, especially those that looked at it themselves rather than listening to the Fox News, WSJ Editorial page version.

The Independents give you the notion that the economy etc did hurt Obama, but not terribly.

If you look closely, I think that you will find that the Obama team did their homework on the ground game and closed up all of the Republican advantage on that score, despite rules that made it a bit harder in a number of states.
26mi235

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 am

Aaronk, I applaud you for coming into the lion’s den. I think people like you need to be heard from lest folks on this board forget that there are many Americans who share your views. I won’t critique your post because I think you and I view reality and absorb news so differently, that nothing constructive would come from me debating you. However, I must point out to you that everyone on this board likely observed Palin’s 2008 performance with their own ears and eyes, including the Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson interviews, and formed their opinions accordingly, and therefore, reading her books and tweets has a zero percent chance of changing those opinions. I would also surmise that you’re spinning your wheels trying to convince folks that Game Change was just a fairytale concocted by former McCain staffers out of spite. I hope you have a good day but I also want to leave you with this quote from Euripides:

Man’s most valuable trait is a judicious sense of what not to believe.
jazzcyclist

Postby kevinsdad » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:33 am

Conor Dary wrote:
But the main priority at the moment should be having consistent voting procedures and rules across the country, which we do not have at the moment.

[/quote]

My favorite tweet from last night: "No matter what happens, I'm just proud to live in a country where our voting process resembles a Moroccan marketplace."

Seriously, the hours' long wait and other difficulties people encountered in trying to vote last night, many due to incompetence and others the result of deliberate attempts to suppress the votes of certain groups of voters, are a national disgrace.
kevinsdad

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 am

Conor Dary wrote:Voter fraud is a non existent problem. The big problem at the moment is states trying to limit voters they don't like.

Personally I think we should go to a popular vote. But the main priority at the moment should be having consistent voting procedures and rules across the country, which we do not have at the moment.

I think 26mi made a good point about the lilelihood of small states voting for a system that would give them less power.
jazzcyclist

Postby TN1965 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:43 am

26mi235 wrote: Palin would have been (one of) the Democrat's dream opponents.

To paraphrase Robert Reich, 1% chance of Palin victory is worse than 50% chance of Romney victory.

So I am glad Palin has no chance for the GOP nomination.
TN1965

Postby TN1965 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:49 am

kuha wrote: Think about it: We have a 7.9 unemployment rate; something like 55% of the population says the country "is on the wrong track"; and depending on how you measure it, more than 50% of the public claims to "hate" the ACA. The incumbent is a black man with a weird name who perhaps 20% of the population "thinks" is a radical Muslim, business-busting, nation-hating, illegitimate alien. And there are media outlets that enthusiastically feed these pathetic delusions. AND YET, the Repub nominee still fails! If there was ever a "gimme" election, one would have THOUGHT it was this one.

On the other hand, the Democratic campaign managers seem to understand the electoral math (actually "arithmetic") much better than the GOP counterpart. They know where to focus their resources based on the polling data. The Republicans look like they are the "faith-based" party even on election campaigns.
TN1965

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:52 am

As we suspected all along Romney is secretly a Kenyan!http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20240532
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 pm

preston wrote:It seems that democrats will definitely have to be more moderate (sorry, jazz and Marlow).

Hey, I get it, and Obama, in his victory speech, acknowledged that the only way out of the mess we're in is BIpartisan moderacy. Despite Mitt's disparagement of the 47% of the electorate, we get that almost 48% of the vote was for NOT-Obama! (57 MILLION people!) If we don't 'reenfranchise' as many as we can, we're sunk.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:14 pm

Marlow wrote:Hey, I get it, and Obama, in his victory speech, acknowledged that the only way out of the mess we're in is BIpartisan moderacy. Despite Mitt's disparagement of the 47% of the electorate, we get that almost 48% of the vote was for NOT-Obama! (57 MILLION people!) If we don't 'reenfranchise' as many as we can, we're sunk.

Bi-partisan with whom exactly? This guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc

Sorry but bi-partisanship with the crazies in the GOP is a loser for Obama which he learned last year.

http://www.tnr.com/book/review/bob-wood ... f-politics
Conor Dary

Postby mcgato » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:22 pm

That's the main reason that I got a good night's sleep last night. I went to bed at about 10 ET, after seeing that Silver's model had predicted every state correctly up to that point. I figured that I would wake up to pretty much what his predictions said.

Here is a nice xkcd strip about it. He had mentioned Silver in Monday's mouse-over.
http://xkcd.com/1131/
mcgato

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 pm

From Adam Gopnick in New Yorker on the eve of the election.

We have arrived, this morning, at the true moneyball moment in American electoral politics, where the fight is not just between candidates but also between two ways of predicting the future, analytic and impressionistic. Nate Silver has Obama’s chances of reëlection around a ninety-per-cent certainty; Sam Wang, of the “Princeton Consortium”—though exactly who consorts with him in Princeton is unclear, the idea of consorting, electorally, is too winning not to relish—has Romney’s odds even longer than that. Note that they are not saying that the election will be over in a hour or anything like that; on the contrary, they predict that what is, historically, a close race, will remain one, with at most a couple of percentage points dividing the two men. What they are saying is that, short of a statistical miracle, it can only end one way. (My colleague John Cassidy has more on why.) What the pro-pundit class is saying, on the other hand, is that no one really knows, it will be a long night, it could go either way, and the rest of the usual excited—and, if you don’t care too much about the future of the country, exciting—chatter.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/n ... z2BZQ7DjpG
jeremyp

PreviousNext