WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now closed)


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby j-a-m » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:03 am

guru wrote:Prepare for more Washington gridlock the next four years.

Gridlock, while most people seem to consider it a bad thing, is really an integral part of a system of checks and balances.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby mump boy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:05 am

j-a-m wrote:
DrJay wrote:In Colorado, today we voted on Amendment 64, which would legalize posession of small amounts of marijuana for fun purposes, not just medical reasons (we already did that latter one) and would direct the state to tax wholesale sales of the drug:

http://www.regulatemarijuana.org/s/regu ... l-act-2012

"yes" leads 54% to 46% early returns

Now this is some good news and a major victory for common sense.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/col ... d=17652774


Eek don't tell Marlow !!
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby mump boy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:26 am

I'm obsessed with Fox news

When they're not avoiding the issue by reporting on Tiger Mums, Chris Wallace's wife's book on chicken or School Nurses, they are making excuses

In Fox world he won because of 'the touchy feely thing' and because the 'mainstream media were right in their polling and this led to people to follow the polls' :-S It was also a weak win (tell that to Bush 2000)

Oh and it's all Bill Clinton's doing !! they're holding him up as some hero of bipartisanship but Obama 'doesn't have a bipartisanship bone in his body' :roll:
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby mump boy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 am

Fox News, the gift that keep on giving

"They're at it again !! BLACK PANTHERS were turning up at polling stations" :shock: :lol:
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:51 am

All of the other, right-of-Romney candidates would have had a stronger base, of which maybe three voted for Obama, (well, maybe half a percent in states that mattered) and would have lost a significantly larger portion of the independent and cross-over Democrats. Palin would have been (one of) the Democrat's dream opponents. It is true that she would have lost less of the female vote, but not really that much and would have significant losses to more than out-weigh that advantage.

Contrary to the right-wing view, the Republicans did not lose the election because they abandoned their principles, but because of those ideological principles. To wit, note that they lost several senate seats in states where Romney had substantial majorities like Indiana and Missouri.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16337
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby j-a-m » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:59 am

guru wrote:They held the House,

And GOP still has the majority of governors.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:09 am

j-a-m wrote:
guru wrote:They held the House,

And GOP still has the majority of governors.


Yes, because there are a bunch of low-population, relatively rural states in the central plains and the mountain areas. However, as populations grow and composition change these things seem to be changing. Arizona might soon be a swing state, Colorado is and New Mexico has gone a half step past that point. Nevada also went for Obama despite having one of the largest Mormon populations. Eventually Texas will also come into play, if you can grasp the implications of that, at least if the Democrats can come up with an effective immigration policy not hamstrung by labor.

As an addendum, the popular vote is now 2,500,000 margin (out of 116,000,000, or 2+%) for Obama and may change by another million due to the location of the remaining votes to be counted. So much for a 'narrow' victory without a popular-vote mandate'.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16337
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby tandfman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 am

26mi235 wrote:As an addendum, the popular vote is now 2,450,000 margin for Obama and may change by another million due to the location of the remaining votes to be counted. So much for a 'narrow' victory without a popular-vote mandate'.

On the other hand, had Obama won the presidency and actually lost the popular vote, there might have been a bi-partisan movement to get rid of the electoral college. IMHO, that would be a good thing.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:35 am

shivfan wrote:I think a lot of non-Americans are like me right now...breathing a huge sigh of relief.

With the exception of the Israelis and the Pakistanis according to polls.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:40 am

j-a-m wrote:
aaronk wrote:As the one lonely voice who proclaims that SARAH PALIN would have been declared President-Elect tonight...had she run

Not sure if she would've won, but I agree that she would've had a better chance than Romney. Despite all the rhetoric to the contrary, Romney was just too similar to the current President.

I think Romney's problem is that the folks in the middle didn't trust him based on his flip-flopping. No one knew why he stood. If he had campaigned for the last two years like he campaigned in the last two weeks, as the governor of Massachusetts who passed healthcare and supported abortion rights and gay rights, he would have beaten Obama, but then he wouldn't have gotten the nomination.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:58 am

mump boy wrote:He's a pragmatist and if he's played hardball there would be no healthcare act at all.

US specifically have a system that calls for compromise from all sides, unfortunately only one side have any intention of doing so at the moment, as moderate republicans are held to ransom crazies who would rather lose than give an inch. Someone is going to have to stand up to them soon or there won't be a Republican party that can win elections of any significants at all !!

I don't think you fully understand the American system. During Obama's first two years in office, he had a filibuster-proof majaority. When LBJ pushed through civil rights, segregationists filibustered until the bitter end, and when push came to shove, LBJ called Richard Russell and had this famous exchange with him:

    LBJ: Dick, you've got to get out of my way. I'm going to run over you. I don't intend to cavil or compromise.

    Russell: You may do that. But by God, it's going to cost you the South and cost you the election.

    LBJ: If that's the price I've got to pay, I'll pay it gladly.

The bottom line is that civil rights was 100 times more contentious than healthcare but LBJ was willing to spend all the polical capital he had and put all his chips in the middle of the table IN AN ELECTION YEAR.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 am

26mi235 wrote:I also disagree to an extent with Jazz on the mosque; it can be a mistake of wisdom for the siting of the mosque if they are dealing continually with people' perceptions in a way that interferes with what they are trying to accomplish.

Chris Christie didn't pull any punches when confronting the Islamophobes.
Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie on Thursday slammed the anti-Muslim “crazies” who have raised objections to his nomination of a Muslim lawyer to become a state Superior Court judge.

“Ignorance is behind the criticism of Sohail Mohammad,” Christie said in response to a reporter’s question at a Thursday press conference. “Sohail Mohammad is an extraordinary American who is an outstanding lawyer and played an integral role in the post-September 11th period in building bridges between the Muslim American community in this state and law enforcement.”

Critics have used the very track record Christie cited to depict Mohammad, an Indian-American, as a radical unfit for the bench. Steve Emerson’s Investigative Project on Terrorism in January derided Mohammad as a “longtime mouthpiece for radical Islamists”. Emerson traced Mohammad’s career back to his work as an immigration lawyer on behalf of Arab men who were detained after 9/11.

Christie pointed out that many people were wrongly arrested during that time, and that none of Mohammad’s post-9/11 clients were charged with crimes of terrorism. Christie added that Mohammad set up “dozens of meetings” between government and law enforcement officials and members of the Muslim-American community to build lines of trust.

A reporter asked Christie a question about Shariah law, which only fired up the governor’s frustration. “Shariah law has nothing to do with this at all. It’s crazy. It’s crazy. The guy is an American citizen … and has never been accused of doing anything but honorably and zealously acquitting the oath he took when he became a lawyer…. This Shariah law business is crap. It’s just crazy. And I’m tired of dealing with the crazies. It’s just unnecessary to be accusing this guy of things just because of his religious background…. I’m happy that he’s willing to serve after all this baloney.”


http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/08/gov-ch ... -mohammad/

Why can't Obama be this assertive when dealing with these nutjobs?
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:17 am

mump boy wrote:Eek don't tell Marlow !!

Not a problem at all. I live 1500 miles away. It's not coming to my neck of the woods any time soon.

My take-away from this election is the same as kuha's: the Republican Party is broken and, for the common good, needs radical fixing. America's strength is the 2-party system - conservatives and progressives (liberal is a misidentification). The Reps are moribund in the mid-20th Century, which was a good time, but the national consciousness has been irreversibly raised and there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. I want the Reps to have a viable national platform, but as time goes by and their platform stays stuck in the past, they're just going to lose more and more credibility. I could vote for a TRUE moderate Rep (my choice for the House is one) if s/he had some tether to reality, but Mitt drank the Kool-Aid of the wing-nuts of the party and it cost him the election.

While Obama is my choice, I am frustrated with his leadership right now, as I was with Jimmy Carter. It's almost as if he's too good a man to be a good President. On the other hand, Mitt offered me zero of substance. America deserves (needs!) strong positive visionary leadership. In my lifetime, Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Clinton (and to some degree Obama) did that. FDR was that in spades. The rest . . . not so much.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby preston » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 am

jazzcyclist wrote:...During Obama's first two years in office, he had a filibuster-proof majaority. ...


Not exactly true. It's not like Joe Lieberman (CT), Ben Nelson (NE) or Blanche Lincoln (AR) who was looking at the demographics in Arkansas were "on board" from the beginning. Add in Bart Stupak and others in the House and Obama presided over a majority of democrats who were not "loyal" to his agenda. (Stupak retired after holding "Obamacare" hostage to make abortion tougher even thouh Hyde was still law). Also, remember that Kennedy passed and they no longer had the votes.

jazzcyclist wrote:...The bottom line is that civil rights was 100 times more contentious than healthcare but LBJ was willing to spend all the polical capital he had and put all his chips in the middle of the table IN AN ELECTION YEAR.

Realistically, yes, but metaphorically no. Healthcare to the fringe is no different than civil rights because they're STILL fighting that war. I read yesterday a theme that I've read several times over the last few years: the belief that President Obama is not legitimate. One woman is quoted as saying that she is "tired of him flying in MY airplane!" Comparing LBJ and Obama and the situations they faced is night and day, imo.

One other thing: it is easy to blame the Republicans but I put the blame squarely on Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes. They created a nihilism among republicans that Limbaugh and talk radio could never reach; making the Fox view point legitimate, but woefully inacurate at the most liberal definition of the word acurate. Add in Drudge, Red State and others ... in shorter: the republicans will be under no compulsion to be civil or compromise. Sensible republicans will have to break away from the hate meanstest imposed upon republican candidates.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby mump boy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
mump boy wrote:He's a pragmatist and if he's played hardball there would be no healthcare act at all.

US specifically have a system that calls for compromise from all sides, unfortunately only one side have any intention of doing so at the moment, as moderate republicans are held to ransom crazies who would rather lose than give an inch. Someone is going to have to stand up to them soon or there won't be a Republican party that can win elections of any significants at all !!

I don't think you fully understand the American system. During Obama's first two years in office, he had a filibuster-proof majaority. When LBJ pushed through civil rights, segregationists filibustered until the bitter end, and when push came to shove, LBJ called Richard Russell and had this famous exchange with him:

    LBJ: Dick, you've got to get out of my way. I'm going to run over you. I don't intend to cavil or compromise.

    Russell: You may do that. But by God, it's going to cost you the South and cost you the election.

    LBJ: If that's the price I've got to pay, I'll pay it gladly.

The bottom line is that civil rights was 100 times more contentious than healthcare but LBJ was willing to spend all the polical capital he had and put all his chips in the middle of the table IN AN ELECTION YEAR.


I do understand the system but he was trying to be conciliatory as he had run his campaign on that basis. I totally agree in hindsight he should have gone hell for leather but he obviously thought that the Reps might want to act like grown ups !!
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby j-a-m » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:30 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I think Romney's problem is that the folks in the middle didn't trust him based on his flip-flopping. No one knew why he stood.

Yes, he flip-flopped a lot, as did the previous losing candidates McCain and Kerry. All three won the primaries in part because they were considered the mainstream candidate, all three kept flip-flopping, all three lost the general election. Maybe there's a pattern there.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:14 am

Marlow wrote:[While Obama is my choice, I am frustrated with his leadership right now, as I was with Jimmy Carter. It's almost as if he's too good a man to be a good President. On the other hand, Mitt offered me zero of substance. America deserves (needs!) strong positive visionary leadership. In my lifetime, Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Clinton (and to some degree Obama) did that. FDR was that in spades. The rest . . . not so much.

You summed up my sentiments exactly. Amen Marlow!
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby preston » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:20 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:[While Obama is my choice, I am frustrated with his leadership right now, as I was with Jimmy Carter. It's almost as if he's too good a man to be a good President. On the other hand, Mitt offered me zero of substance. America deserves (needs!) strong positive visionary leadership. In my lifetime, Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Clinton (and to some degree Obama) did that. FDR was that in spades. The rest . . . not so much.

You summed up my sentiments exactly. Amen Marlow!

Kennedy, may he rest in peace, was given a lot of credit for things he didn't do - it was a benefit of being assassinated (and I don't mean "benefit" that it was good). We now know that he taped everyone's conversations in the White House; he wasn't nearly as strong on Missiles in Cuba; and he MLK and other civil rights leaders were incredibly frustrated by his pace. Again, he wasn't the strong President some make him out to be. My point, I guess, is that all of these men must make compromises because it's the essence of a strong democracy. Obama needs to be cut a little slack (though I agree with jazz and Marlow).
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby Pego » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:22 am

I don't know if it means anything, but I think it is interesting that neither Romney nor Ryan carried their own state.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby kuha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:27 am

Marlow wrote:My take-away from this election is the same as kuha's: the Republican Party is broken and, for the common good, needs radical fixing. America's strength is the 2-party system - conservatives and progressives (liberal is a misidentification). The Reps are moribund in the mid-20th Century, which was a good time, but the national consciousness has been irreversibly raised and there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. I want the Reps to have a viable national platform, but as time goes by and their platform stays stuck in the past, they're just going to lose more and more credibility. I could vote for a TRUE moderate Rep (my choice for the House is one) if s/he had some tether to reality, but Mitt drank the Kool-Aid of the wing-nuts of the party and it cost him the election.

While Obama is my choice, I am frustrated with his leadership right now, as I was with Jimmy Carter. It's almost as if he's too good a man to be a good President. On the other hand, Mitt offered me zero of substance. America deserves (needs!) strong positive visionary leadership. In my lifetime, Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Clinton (and to some degree Obama) did that. FDR was that in spades. The rest . . . not so much.


Well stated. The Repub party is just severely damaged now and desperately needs to reinvent itself. Think about it: We have a 7.9 unemployment rate; something like 55% of the population says the country "is on the wrong track"; and depending on how you measure it, more than 50% of the public claims to "hate" the ACA. The incumbent is a black man with a weird name who perhaps 20% of the population "thinks" is a radical Muslim, business-busting, nation-hating, illegitimate alien. And there are media outlets that enthusiastically feed these pathetic delusions. AND YET, the Repub nominee still fails! If there was ever a "gimme" election, one would have THOUGHT it was this one.

These were not "normal" circumstances, and this can't be seen as a "normal" loss. The Repubs are an ill-fitting coalition of plutocrats, honest small businessmen, (rhetorical, at least) budget hawks, military adventurers, Any Randian Libertarians, anti-science folks, nativists, religious fundamentalists, racists (yes), extreme social conservatives, and a few other odds and ends. A good percentage of this amalgamation is either very backward looking or pretty purely ideological. I'm all for a sane and responsible "conservative" party, but we haven't had one in quite a while. And that's a real loss for the country.

I'm certainly less disappointed than Marlow with O's performance to date, given the astonshing barriers he had to deal with. But I certainly would like to see a more efficient and effective process in the next 4 years.
kuha
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby j-a-m » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:35 am

26mi235 wrote: because of those ideological principles.

It depends on which principles you're talking about. The GOP candidates in Missuori and Indiana lost because of their social conservative views on abortion. The GOP candidate in Arizona, on the other hand, may be one of the most consistent fiscal conservatives, based on his opposition to earmarks; and he won.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby Pego » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:45 am

kuha wrote:
Well stated. The Repub party is just severely damaged now and desperately needs to reinvent itself. Think about it: We have a 7.9 unemployment rate; something like 55% of the population says the country "is on the wrong track"; and depending on how you measure it, more than 50% of the public claims to "hate" the ACA. The incumbent is a black man with a weird name who perhaps 20% of the population "thinks" is a radical Muslim, business-busting, nation-hating, illegitimate alien. And there are media outlets that enthusiastically feed these pathetic delusions. AND YET, the Repub nominee still fails! If there was ever a "gimme" election, one would have THOUGHT it was this one.

These were not "normal" circumstances, and this can't be seen as a "normal" loss. The Repubs are an ill-fitting coalition of plutocrats, honest small businessmen, (rhetorical, at least) budget hawks, military adventurers, Any Randian Libertarians, anti-science folks, nativists, religious fundamentalists, racists (yes), extreme social conservatives, and a few other odds and ends. A good percentage of this amalgamation is either very backward looking or pretty purely ideological. I'm all for a sane and responsible "conservative" party, but we haven't had one in quite a while. And that's a real loss for the country.

I'm certainly less disappointed than Marlow with O's performance to date, given the astonshing barriers he had to deal with. But I certainly would like to see a more efficient and effective process in the next 4 years.


I am one of those "really disappointed" (more by the Congress than the President, but both), but I fully agree with everything you said above.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby j-a-m » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:54 am

kuha wrote:The Repubs are an ill-fitting coalition of

Isn't that inherent in a two party system?
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:57 am

preston wrote:Not exactly true. It's not like Joe Lieberman (CT), Ben Nelson (NE) or Blanche Lincoln (AR) who was looking at the demographics in Arkansas were "on board" from the beginning. Add in Bart Stupak and others in the House and Obama presided over a majority of democrats who were not "loyal" to his agenda.

I don't think folks like Liberman and Nelson were any more recalcitrant than folks like Ross Barnett and George Wallace, who IMO were even more dug-in, but LBJ still broke them. In March 1965, LBJ called Wallace up to the White House for some "recalibration" on the issue of voting rights. Of course Wallace went in with the attitude that nothing LBJ could do would make him back down. However, at the end, Wallace backed down just like all the rest and when he got back to Alabama he told an aide that if LBJ had kept him in the Oval Office any longer he would have had him marching for civil rights.
preston wrote:Realistically, yes, but metaphorically no. Healthcare to the fringe is no different than civil rights because they're STILL fighting that war. I read yesterday a theme that I've read several times over the last few years: the belief that President Obama is not legitimate. One woman is quoted as saying that she is "tired of him flying in MY airplane!" Comparing LBJ and Obama and the situations they faced is night and day, imo.

I agree with there not being a comparison, because Republicans today are only working to overturn a healthcare law through the democratic process, they aren't openly defying the U.S. Constituion and federal laws and court orders. Even their voter suppresion efforts are being done using the tools of democracy, not at by violence the way it was done in in the 1960's. Remember, civil rights often had to be enforced at gunpoint by sending in federal troops and U.S. Marshalls and it wasn't uncommon for entire counties to be put under de facto military occupation to enforce the law.

preston wrote:One other thing: it is easy to blame the Republicans but I put the blame squarely on Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes. They created a nihilism among republicans that Limbaugh and talk radio could never reach; making the Fox view point legitimate, but woefully inacurate at the most liberal definition of the word acurate. Add in Drudge, Red State and others ... in shorter: the republicans will be under no compulsion to be civil or compromise. Sensible republicans will have to break away from the hate meanstest imposed upon republican candidates.

There may not have been any right-wing media riling up the rejectionists the way FOX News and Limbaugh do today, but it wasn't needed since the segregationist politicians themselves did it themselves in stadiums and convention halls that would make Hitler blush.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:03 am

aaronk wrote:As the one lonely voice who proclaims that SARAH PALIN would have been declared President-Elect tonight...had she run...I am hesitant to state my reasons...

You should have quit while you were pondering...
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:06 am

preston wrote:Kennedy, may he rest in peace, was given a lot of credit for things he didn't do - it was a benefit of being assassinated (and I don't mean "benefit" that it was good). We now know that he taped everyone's conversations in the White House; he wasn't nearly as strong on Missiles in Cuba; and he MLK and other civil rights leaders were incredibly frustrated by his pace. Again, he wasn't the strong President some make him out to be.

Well said. I let my parents and an uncle listen to some of those tapes once it made them nauseous when they got to hear firsthand how weak he was on civil rights, and how willing he was to accomodate the segregationsts in the interest of maintaining/restoring calm.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 am

DrJay wrote:On FOX, Sarah Palin said "It's a perplexing time for us..." if things continue likely the early trends are showing. What's so perplexing about losing, about the electorate voting for the other guy's platform? When that happens, you lost. Pretty simple.

Sarah perplexed? Again? Say it ain't so.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:13 am

j-a-m wrote:
aaronk wrote:As the one lonely voice who proclaims that SARAH PALIN would have been declared President-Elect tonight...had she run

Not sure if she would've won, but I agree that she would've had a better chance than Romney. Despite all the rhetoric to the contrary, Romney was just too similar to the current President.

Totally disagree. The electorate is moderate with fringe elements. None of the GOP candidates looked moderate in the primaries, and Sarah would have looked right of them. Romney had to move to the middle (etch-a-sketch) to win. Any Presidential candidate has to! The GOP doesn't get it, yet, but Clinton did and hence the recent Democrat successes. Congress on the other hand can be filled to the brim with whackos.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:17 am

tandfman wrote:
26mi235 wrote:As an addendum, the popular vote is now 2,450,000 margin for Obama and may change by another million due to the location of the remaining votes to be counted. So much for a 'narrow' victory without a popular-vote mandate'.

On the other hand, had Obama won the presidency and actually lost the popular vote, there might have been a bi-partisan movement to get rid of the electoral college. IMHO, that would be a good thing.

That should have happened in 2000 but didn't. Why? Small states love it. You can be a game breaker! Without it the media would focus on the North East, West Coast, Great lakes, and leave out the south and the mid west.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby j-a-m » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26 am

jeremyp wrote:Romney had to move to the middle

Four years ago they said that about McCain, four years before that they said it about Kerry, and it keeps not working out too well. Now at least three consecutive elections were lost by the candidate who was more of a flip-flopper than his oppponent. Maybe voters would appreciate some consistency in a candidate's opinions.

In terms of strategy, Obama's biggest weakness was the unpopularity of his healthcare law. And Romney was the one candidate who couldn't focus his campaign on that issue, because he did essentially the same back when he was Governor.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:37 am

Now that the election is over, I really hope that Obama will quit treating Benjamin Netanyahu with kid gloves. If ever there was a world leader who needs to be put in his place, it's him. To quote Bill Clinton after his first encounter with Bibi, "Who the fuck does he think he is? Who's the fucking superpower here?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... mney_.html
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby preston » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:44 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Now that the election is over, I really hope that Obama will quit treating Benjamin Netanyahu with kid gloves. If ever there was a world leader who needs to be put in his place, it's him. To quote Bill Clinton after his first encounter with Bibi, "Who the fuck does he think he is? Who's the fucking superpower here?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... mney_.html

ABSOLUTELY! He's up for election in about 3 months, it would be wise for Israel to vote him out.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:46 am

j-a-m wrote:
jeremyp wrote:Romney had to move to the middle

Four years ago they said that about McCain, four years before that they said it about Kerry, and it keeps not working out too well. Now at least three consecutive elections were lost by the candidate who was more of a flip-flopper than his oppponent. Maybe voters would appreciate some consistency in a candidate's opinions.

In terms of strategy, Obama's biggest weakness was the unpopularity of his healthcare law. And Romney was the one candidate who couldn't focus his campaign on that issue, because he did essentially the same back when he was Governor.

The problem with the GOP is they either move from right field to the middle or as McCain, Romney from the middle to the right to the left. Kerry never moved much. As to the health care law or stimulus, or bank bail out, or most of Obama's programs they were very poorly sold to the public. In fact what surprises me most about this election is that Obama won while doing a p poor job of selling his position, and that could only be due to Romney being viewed as even vaguer.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:50 am

preston wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Now that the election is over, I really hope that Obama will quit treating Benjamin Netanyahu with kid gloves. If ever there was a world leader who needs to be put in his place, it's him. To quote Bill Clinton after his first encounter with Bibi, "Who the fuck does he think he is? Who's the fucking superpower here?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... mney_.html

ABSOLUTELY! He's up for election in about 3 months, it would be wise for Israel to vote him out.

Israel has sold out to the far right and Bibi needs them and they need him. I agree that now that Obama has won he needs to get bolder. Israel for one, Cuba another (end the sanctions), and a bold plan to cut the deficit while keeping the necessary military cuts, a plan to shore up medicare (everybody pays more, rich opt out).
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 am

jeremyp wrote:
aaronk wrote:As the one lonely voice who proclaims that SARAH PALIN would have been declared President-Elect tonight...had she run...I am hesitant to state my reasons...

You should have quit while you were pondering...


Miss Half-Term! The funniest thing here. We all need a laugh... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 am

kuha wrote:
The Repub party is just severely damaged now and desperately needs to reinvent itself.


Good luck with that. The Republican Party on the national level has primarily one interest and that is the very, very wealthy pay little or no taxes. And has long as the Koch brothers and their ilk are funding the GOP that is not going to change.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby Pego » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:03 am

preston wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Now that the election is over, I really hope that Obama will quit treating Benjamin Netanyahu with kid gloves. If ever there was a world leader who needs to be put in his place, it's him. To quote Bill Clinton after his first encounter with Bibi, "Who the fuck does he think he is? Who's the fucking superpower here?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... mney_.html

ABSOLUTELY! He's up for election in about 3 months, it would be wise for Israel to vote him out.


Nothing would please me more.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby preston » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:04 am

jeremyp wrote:Israel has sold out to the far right and Bibi needs them and they need him. I agree that now that Obama has won he needs to get bolder. Israel for one, Cuba another (end the sanctions), and a bold plan to cut the deficit while keeping the necessary military cuts, a plan to shore up medicare (everybody pays more, rich opt out).

The real "red line" needs to be the abandonment/dismantling of settlements AND the removal of nuclear weaponry from Israel. (the big "wink" needs to end) As long as Israel has a weapon, Iran will never stop trying to get one. Sanctions be damned.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:06 am

jeremyp wrote:Israel has sold out to the far right and Bibi needs them and they need him. I agree that now that Obama has won he needs to get bolder.

If I were Obama, I would go to Israel and meet with opposition leaders such as Shelly Yachimovich and ask what he can do to help them politically? After Bibi's meddling in our politics since Obama was elected, including appearing in anti-Obama TV commercials, which ran in south Florida, I think turnabout is fair play.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE ELECTION? (now open)

Postby Cooter Brown » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:18 am

Who knew that running an anti-immigrant, anti-woman, anti-middle & working class, anti-gay, anti-science, anti-minority, pro-war, pro-theocracy platform would result in colossal failure?

About the only demographic the GOP doesn't offend on at least some level is the aging and shrinking rich fat white guys demographic.
Last edited by Cooter Brown on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cooter Brown
 
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Austin

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests