Russia's Beijing medal hopes •

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Russia's Beijing medal hopes •

Postby bushop » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:01 am

Which Russians will win all these medals?

Russia Must Be 1st at Athletics Worlds - Official
02/11/2012
“The national team should take the first place at these championships,” federation chief Valentin Balakhnichev said, adding that Russia's team would prepare "at a very high level".
Last edited by bushop on Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
bushop

Re: Russia's Moscow medal hopes • We're #1

Postby bushop » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:02 am

Daegu World Championship medalists:

01.) Anastasiya Kapachinskaya (400 metres)
02.) Mariya Savinova (800 metres)
03.) Natalya Antyukh (400 metres hurdles)
04.) Yuliya Zaripova (3000 metres steeplechase)
05.) Olga Kaniskina (20 kilometres walk)
06.) Anisya Kirdyapkina (20 kilometres walk)
07.) Anna Chicherova (high jump)
08.) Svetlana Feofanova (pole vault)
09.) Olga Kucherenko (long jump)
10.) Mariya Abakumova (javelin)
11.) Tatyana Lysenko (hammer)
12.) Tatyana Chernova (heptathlon)
13.) Yuriy Borzakovskiy (800 metres)
14.) Valeriy Borchin (20 kilometres walk)
15.) Vladimir Kanaykin (20 kilometres walk)
16.) Sergey Bakulin (50 kilometres walk)
17.) Denis Nizhegorodov (50 kilometres walk)
18.) Aleksey Dmitrik (high jump)

World Championship top-12:

T&F News World Championship top-10 pick:
Last edited by bushop on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bushop

Postby bushop » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:02 am

2012 Olympic medalists....

01.) Sergey Kirdyapkin (50 kilometres walk) gold
02.) Ivan Ukhov (high jump) gold
03.) Mariya Savinova (800 metres) gold
04.) Ekaterina Poistogova (800 metres) bronze
05.) Natalya Antyukh (400 metres hurdles) gold
06.) Yuliya Zaripova (3000 metres steeplechase) gold
07.) Women (4x400 metres) silver
08.) Elena Lashmanova (20 kilometres walk) gold
09.) Olga Kaniskina (20 kilometres walk) silver
10.) Anna Chicherova (high jump) gold
11.) Svetlana Shkolina (high jump) gold
12.) Yelena Isinbayeva (pole vault) bronze
13.) Yelena Sokolova (long jump) silver
14.) Yevgeniya Kolodko (shot put) silver
15.) Darya Pishchalnikova (discus) silver
16.) Tatyana Lysenko (hammer) gold
17.) Tatyana Chernova (heptathlon) bronze
Last edited by bushop on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bushop

Postby bushop » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:03 am

prospects ...
bushop

Postby t_monk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 am

Chichirova - HJ
Antyukh - 400mH
Zarapova - 3000 ST
Savinova - 800
Abakumova - JT
Ukhov - HJ
Lysenko - HT
Krivoshopka - 400
Sokolova - LJ
Isinbaeva - PV
Chernova - Hept
Lashmanova - Walks
Male walker

All those are gold medal prospects and not necessarily long shots either. That would be 13 gold medals...
t_monk

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 pm

t_monk wrote:Chichirova - HJ
Antyukh - 400mH
Zarapova - 3000 ST
Savinova - 800
Abakumova - JT
Ukhov - HJ
Lysenko - HT
Krivoshopka - 400
Sokolova - LJ
Isinbaeva - PV
Chernova - Hept
Lashmanova - Walks
Male walker

All those are gold medal prospects and not necessarily long shots either. That would be 13 gold medals...

Add to that the woman's Discuss, woman's marathon and woman's relays. I have no doubt that the Russin girl's will come out on top by some distance even with a few misses there (the jumps can go in either direction on the day) and it will help the Jamaican's will eat into the American's medal counts where the USA is traditionally strong in the sprints.

It makes you wonder what the men are doing, besides being distracted by the best looking women in sport.
eldanielfire

Postby andyjgt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Could (on a VERY good day! - and a bad one for Lavillenie) win the vault (Starodubtsev?)
Maybe Morgunov in the LJ (well he has jumped further than Rutherford's OG winning distance and matched Greg's PB), Menkov could medal too
Iordan or Tarabin in the JT (if Walcott can...)
VERY long shot...Shubenkov at 110H (could deffo get a medal though)
Maybe even HT (Zagornyi on a good day/Litvinov even?!)

Very much doubt there'll be five golds out of that, but there's a good chance of four medals, maybe even five.

ETA: Again it won't be gold, but Borza could yet (though I doubt it) have a last hurrah with another bronze, and the men's 4x4 team could win one too. (Hope Kruglyakov is on that team - Round-timbers of the Valentinas indeed!)
andyjgt

Postby fasttrack85 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 am

I really hope Krivoshapka gets her shit together. I think Sanya needs to be forced back into sub 49 territory again.
fasttrack85

Postby az2004 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 am

men are too busy making big bucks palying hockey and soccer

nov 14 usa plays russia in russia, i;ll take russia by a couple goals

fabio capello is their coach
az2004

Postby bushop » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Putin: Russia Hoped for Better at London 2012
06/11/2012
"Now it's extremely important to take measures that will help our athletes succeed and be worthy representatives of Russia at the world's sporting arenas," Putin said.
bushop

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:07 am

I was just thinking, what could be the most likely outcomes that would have a raging Putin shoot the entire Russian Athletics team in a rage

Chichirova - HJ - A fully fit Blanka Vlašić should be fully capable of beating her in a competition that can always go a few different ways and who knows it Tia Hellebaut might still ahve it. Also 21 year old Brigetta Barrett likes genunely to be the next big thing in High Jump.
Antyukh - 400mH - Demus is always capable of winning here. It can really go either way and Antyukh once she emotionally earned the gold seemed to lose the focus in her post Olympic races.
Zarapova - 3000 ST - IMO close to unstoppable when fit.
Savinova - 800 - By some way the most consistent championship performer and her ability to judge where she should be and when to go for it in the 800m is sublime. I doubt she will blow it but who knows what Caster Semenya will do when she learns how to judge the race (and no I don't think she blew it on purpose)
Abakumova - JT - Up agains the bets of all time. Will need Barbara Spotakova to underperform really.
Lysenko - HT - Hopefully Anita Wlodarczyk or Betty Heidler will best her.
Krivoshopka - 400 - Seems to be knocking on the door, as have been a few other Russian 400m runners, but never seesm to glue it together in championship finals.
Sokolova - LJ
Isinbaeva - PV - If she gets back to her best she is unbeatable. However I feel she won't and Suhr has ner number. Also Da Silver looks veyr good, she seems to be the woman who can transfer her pure speed into the height best and if she gets technically better who knows.
Chernova - Hept - If Ennis performs Chernova can't seem to keep glueing PBs toethe rin one Heptathlon like Britain's golden girl can. I should say while 2013 may be a bit earily for her Kristina Savitskaya looks like she may well out do Chernova in the future but has possible the biggest competitive depth of competition at a similar age group in ages with Johnson-Thompson, Ikauniece, Schippers, Dadic, even Broersen. Let us not forget a possible return to form for Nataliya Dobrynska next year as well.
Lashmanova - Walks - Can only be beate by another Russian so safe there.

Ukhov - HJ -IMO Russians only T&F male favorite. It's not too much to think there is a big group who could upset the odds.
eldanielfire

Postby gh » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:20 am

eldanielfire wrote:...
Abakumova - JT - Up agains the bets of all time. Will need Barbara Spotakova to underperform really.....

The WR holder is not going to be a problem: Špotáková is pregnant and won't compete in 2013.
gh

Postby Gabriella » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:48 am

eldanielfire wrote:I Chernova - Hept - If Ennis performs Chernova can't seem to keep glueing PBs toethe rin one Heptathlon like Britain's golden girl can. I should say while 2013 may be a bit earily for her Kristina Savitskaya looks like she may well out do Chernova in the future but has possible the biggest competitive depth of competition at a similar age group in ages with Johnson-Thompson, Ikauniece, Schippers, Dadic, even Broersen. Let us not forget a possible return to form for Nataliya Dobrynska next year as well.

I fear we have seen the last of Dobrynska after her London disaster. Seh can come back, she proved that indoors in Istanbul, but I wonder whether she has the fight in her now.

On the heptathlon, as Chernova is defending champion Russia can have four women. You would think Savitskaya, Bolshova, Kurban and Boginskaya will fight for the remaining three spots. Savitskaya does look like a future medalist, but her improvement was so great this year she may even threaten in 2013.
Gabriella

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:56 am

Gabriella wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:I Chernova - Hept - If Ennis performs Chernova can't seem to keep glueing PBs toethe rin one Heptathlon like Britain's golden girl can. I should say while 2013 may be a bit earily for her Kristina Savitskaya looks like she may well out do Chernova in the future but has possible the biggest competitive depth of competition at a similar age group in ages with Johnson-Thompson, Ikauniece, Schippers, Dadic, even Broersen. Let us not forget a possible return to form for Nataliya Dobrynska next year as well.

I fear we have seen the last of Dobrynska after her London disaster. Seh can come back, she proved that indoors in Istanbul, but I wonder whether she has the fight in her now.

On the heptathlon, as Chernova is defending champion Russia can have four women. You would think Savitskaya, Bolshova, Kurban and Boginskaya will fight for the remaining three spots. Savitskaya does look like a future medalist, but her improvement was so great this year she may even threaten in 2013.

I was thinking the very same thing, but the half dozen genuine quality of 18-21 year olds in the Heptathlon making big jumps looks ridiculous, a bit of a global golden generation. The future Heptathlon medalists will simply be those who over come their weak spots. Ikauniece (shot put and long jump), Schippers (her jumps and 800m),Savitskkaya (long jump and possibly her Javelin) and Johnson-Thompson (her throws and long jump) also made big leaps and are posting outragious scores for young heptathletes. i fear the rather uninformed British commenattors ar already looking at KJT as the next big 7 event thing when other young Heptathletes by my observations are progressing a tad faster and have less weaknesses. Laura Ikauniece in particular looks like she has something about her, that ability to really push herself in every event and seems to be developing in near identical pace to Savitskaya. I can see even recent scores for Heptathlon bronze medals simply not being close to what is needed in the near future.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:02 pm

gh wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:...
Abakumova - JT - Up agains the bets of all time. Will need Barbara Spotakova to underperform really.....

The WR holder is not going to be a problem: Špotáková is pregnant and won't compete in 2013.

I completely forgot about that :lol:
eldanielfire

Postby mump boy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:43 pm

eldanielfire wrote:The future Heptathlon medalists will simply be those who over come their weak spots. Ikauniece (shot put and long jump), Schippers (her jumps and 800m),Savitskkaya (long jump and possibly her Javelin) and Johnson-Thompson (her throws and long jump)

I don't think the LJ is a weak spot for the WJ champion :?
mump boy

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:51 pm

mump boy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:The future Heptathlon medalists will simply be those who over come their weak spots. Ikauniece (shot put and long jump), Schippers (her jumps and 800m),Savitskkaya (long jump and possibly her Javelin) and Johnson-Thompson (her throws and long jump)

Other heptathlon athletes around her age are jumping a tad further at the moment in competition. I'm not doubting her ability seeing as she could already realistically be competiting in the actual long jump (I know she is divided on which direction to go in), but as we know doing it in isolation and doing it in the Heptathlon are two different beasts.
eldanielfire

Re: Russia's Moscow medal hopes • 18 medals

Postby bushop » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:45 am

Russian Moscow 2013 medal plan is revealed
"In Moscow we intend to win gain 18 medals, 6-8 of them – gold..."
bushop

Postby GDAWG » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 am

Russia has a decent chance for second place. However, Russia is like Jamaica, Ethiopia and Kenya.....not strong in every aspect of the sport like the United States is. We all know that Jamaica's strengths is in the shorter sprints and hurdles. Except for Shubenkov, that part of the sport is a weakness for Russia. Obviously, Ethiopia and Kenya are very strong in the distance events.

First place is not realistic for Russia in Moscow until they address their weakness.
GDAWG

Postby Jon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am

eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Other heptathlon athletes around her age are jumping a tad further at the moment in competition. I'm not doubting her ability seeing as she could already realistically be competiting in the actual long jump (I know she is divided on which direction to go in), but as we know doing it in isolation and doing it in the Heptathlon are two different beasts.
I don't think KJT's long jump in London was really indicative of what she's like as a competitor in that event within a hep. When she scored 6248 in Kladno earlier in the year, she jumped 6.41m which was within just 5cm of her PB at the time. When she won the world youth title in 2009, she added 14cm to her LJ PB within that heptathlon. And earlier in 2012 she added 11cm to her indoor long jump PB in a three-event multis competition.

She's still a bit young to truly judge if the LJ is a problem event for her within a heptathlon, but based on what she's done so far I wouldn't worry about it. Her 6.19m in London was just a blip. Everything else about her past record (based on PBs set at major champs) shows that she's a pretty good competitor all-round.
Jon

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:29 am

bushop wrote:Russian Moscow 2013 medal plan is revealed
"In Moscow we intend to win gain 18 medals, 6-8 of them – gold..."

6-8 Gold.

I'm guessing the most likely golds are:

Women's High Jump
Men's High Jump (2 or 3 challengers there)
Women's Steeplechase
Women's 800m (Two good challengers there)
Women's Javelin
Hammer Throw (sadly)
Women's walks
Men's Walks

The strong other possibilities are women's 400m hurdles, Women's Pole Vault, women's 400m, Women's shot putt and the men's triple jump. Outside bets (some way outside) would be the men's 110m hurdles, Women's Long Jump, men's Long jump, Heptathlon and the women's 400m relay.

Oh and the women's 1500m, because it seems anybody can wake up, have breakfast beat the drug testers and get a gold on any given day at the moment. I think the 2011 world champs contained almost a completely different finalist list than the 2012 Olympics.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 am

GDAWG wrote:Russia has a decent chance for second place. However, Russia is like Jamaica, Ethiopia and Kenya.....not strong in every aspect of the sport like the United States is. We all know that Jamaica's strengths is in the shorter sprints and hurdles. Except for Shubenkov, that part of the sport is a weakness for Russia. Obviously, Ethiopia and Kenya are very strong in the distance events.

First place is not realistic for Russia in Moscow until they address their weakness.

I don't think this is true exactly, if anything Russia is starting to win in more diverse ways than the USA.

An important point is that a number of the USAs gold last time came from athletes who just won't expect to win gold now. It also doesn't help that the carribean nations are increasingly eating into the USAs strengths in short distances but not Russia's strenths. I'm not sure Jeter, Demus, Phillips, Taylor, Williams and Simpson will bring the gold back like they did in 2011, where as Russia's gold medalists are as good as ever (if motivated) and have added things like the men's long jump, high jump, triple jump and hurdles to threaten and the women's 400m hurdles and throws have improved. I would only expect the heptathlon to be the area they slip back in.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:48 am

Jon wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:
I don't think KJT's long jump in London was really indicative of what she's like as a competitor in that event within a hep. When she scored 6248 in Kladno earlier in the year, she jumped 6.41m which was within just 5cm of her PB at the time. When she won the world youth title in 2009, she added 14cm to her LJ PB within that heptathlon. And earlier in 2012 she added 11cm to her indoor long jump PB in a three-event multis competition.

She's still a bit young to truly judge if the LJ is a problem event for her within a heptathlon, but based on what she's done so far I wouldn't worry about it. Her 6.19m in London was just a blip. Everything else about her past record (based on PBs set at major champs) shows that she's a pretty good competitor all-round.

I wasn't intending to use that comment as a judgement of her long term development, just where she is now. She has lots of potential. My main concern is that during 2012, while KJT made big jumps some of her rivals roughly her age made bigger ones by the time of the Olympics. Though we'll see I see that Laura Ikauniece has suffered training problems due to illness this winter and in good news split up from her boyfriend :D
eldanielfire

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm

I'm taking the under.
JumboElliott

Postby Fortius19 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:48 pm

eldanielfire wrote:Chichirova - HJ - A fully fit Blanka Vlašić should be fully capable of beating her in a competition that can always go a few different ways and who knows it Tia Hellebaut might still ahve it.

I'm pretty sure Hellebaut retired. Again.
Fortius19

Postby iain » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:56 pm

andyjgt wrote:Could (on a VERY good day! - and a bad one for Lavillenie) win the vault (Starodubtsev?)
Maybe Morgunov in the LJ (well he has jumped further than Rutherford's OG winning distance and matched Greg's PB), Menkov could medal too
Iordan or Tarabin in the JT (if Walcott can...)
VERY long shot...Shubenkov at 110H (could deffo get a medal though)
Maybe even HT (Zagornyi on a good day/Litvinov even?!)

Very much doubt there'll be five golds out of that, but there's a good chance of four medals, maybe even five.

ETA: Again it won't be gold, but Borza could yet (though I doubt it) have a last hurrah with another bronze, and the men's 4x4 team could win one too. (Hope Kruglyakov is on that team - Round-timbers of the Valentinas indeed!)

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. Apparently he got busted at the Russian Indoor Champs :(
iain

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Fortius19 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:Chichirova - HJ - A fully fit Blanka Vlašić should be fully capable of beating her in a competition that can always go a few different ways and who knows it Tia Hellebaut might still ahve it.

I'm pretty sure Hellebaut retired. Again.

I made that post months before she retired. Again ;)
eldanielfire

Postby Jon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 pm

eldanielfire wrote:My main concern is that during 2012, while KJT made big jumps, some of her rivals roughly her age made bigger ones by the time of the Olympics.
I've continued this over on this thread as it seemed more fitting! ;-)
Jon

Postby Fortius19 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 pm

eldanielfire wrote:I made that post months before she retired. Again ;)

Ahhhhh, missed that. :oops:
Fortius19

Re: Russia's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 21

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 am

How will the Russians be #1?

2012:
Olympic medalists:
01) Sergey Kirdyapkin (50k w) gold
02) Ivan Ukhov (HJ) gold
03) Mariya Savinova (800m) gold
04) Ekaterina Poistogova (800m) bronze
05) Natalya Antyukh (400m h) gold
06) Yuliya Zaripova (steeple) gold
07) women (4x400m) silver
08) Tatyana Petrova Arkhipova (marathon) bronze
09) Elena Lashmanova (20k w) gold
10) Olga Kaniskina (20k w) silver
11) Yevgeniya Kolodko (SP) silver
12) Anna Chicherova (HJ) gold
13) Svetlana Shkolina (HJ) bronze
14) Yelena Isinbayeva (PV) bronze
15) Yelena Sokolova (LJ) silver
16) Tatyana Lysenko (HT) gold
17) Tatyana Chernova (hept) bronze

Olympic top-12:
01) Yuriy Borzakovskiy (800m) 12th
02) men (4x400n) 5th
03) Igor Yerokhin (50k w) 5th
04) Sergey Bakulin (50k w) 6th
05) Andrey Silnov (HJ) 12th
06) Dmitry Starodubtsev (PV) 4th
07) Yevgeny Lukyanenko (PV) 5th
08) Aleksandr Menkov (LJ) 11th
09) Lyukman Adams (TJ) 9th
10) Maksim Sidorov (SP) 11th
11) Kirill Ikonnikov (HT) 5th
12) Aleksandra Fedoriva (200m) 12th
13) Antonina Krivoshapka (400m) 6th
14) Elena Arzhakova (800m) 6th
15) Tatyana Tomashova (1500m) 4th
16) Ekaterina Kostetskaya (1500m) 9th
17) Olga Golovkina (5k) 9th
18) Tatyana Dektyareva (100m h) 11th
19) women (4x100m) 12th
20) Albina Mayorova (marathon) 9th
21) Anisya Kirdyapkina (20k w) 5th
22) Irina Gordeeva (HJ) 10th
23) Anna Nazarova (LJ) 5th
24) Lyudmila Kolchanova (LJ) 6th
25) Victoria Valyukevich (TJ) 8th
26) Tatyana Lebedeva (TJ) 10th
27) rina Tarasova (SP) 8th
28) Mariya Bespalova (HT) 11th
29) Maria Abakumova (JT) 10th
30) Kristina Savitskaya (hept) 8th

T&F News Moscow WC medal picks:
01) Sergey Shubenkov (110m h)
02) Valeriy Borchin (20k walk)
03) Sergey Kirdyapkin (50k walk)
04) Ivan Ukhov (HJ)
05) Aleksandr Menkov (LJ)
06) Dmitriy Tarabin (JT)
07) Antonina Krivoshapka (400m)
08) Mariya Savinova (800m)
09) Yuliya Zaripova (steeple)
10) Yelena Lashmanova (20k walk)
11) Olga Kaniskina (20k walk)
12) women (4x400m)
13) Anna Chicherova (HJ)
14) Svetlana Shkolina (HJ)
15) Yelena Isinbaeva (PV)
16) Yelena Sokolova (LJ)
17) Irina Gumenyuk (TJ)
18) Tatyana Lysenko (HT)
19) Mariya Abakumova (JT)
20) Tatyana Chernova (hept)
21) Kristina Savitskaya (hept)
bushop

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:34 am

2012:
Olympic medalists:
02) Ivan Ukhov (HJ) gold

Olympic top-12:
02) men (4x400n) 5th
19) women (4x100m) 12th

04) Ivan Ukhov (HJ)
05) Aleksandr Menkov (LJ)
06) Dmitriy Tarabin (JT)
07) Antonina Krivoshapka (400m)
08) Mariya Savinova (800m)
09) Yuliya Zaripova (steeple)
12) women (4x400m)
13) Anna Chicherova (HJ)
14) Svetlana Shkolina (HJ)
15) Yelena Isinbaeva (PV)
16) Yelena Sokolova (LJ)
17) Irina Gumenyuk (TJ)
18) Tatyana Lysenko (HT)
19) Mariya Abakumova (JT)
21) Kristina Savitskaya (hept)
bushop

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:19 pm

01) Sergey Shubenkov (110m h) -Interesting pick. I like SS but not sure he is medal ready. Syaing that 110m is inconsistent for many athletes.
04) Ivan Ukhov (HJ) - It might even be another Russian high jumper, they have a few who could medal.
05) Aleksandr Menkov (LJ) - Probably the favourite now for gold.
06) Dmitriy Tarabin (JT) -Looks good recently
07) Antonina Krivoshapka (400m) - F##k knows what any Russian 400m will do?
08) Mariya Savinova (800m) - No Jelimo or Seymenya. I expect Postigova to medal as well.
09) Yuliya Zaripova (steeple) - Should be fav, but the competition is increasing.
12) women (4x400m)- Dead cert silver.
13) Anna Chicherova (HJ) - Fav for gold with Barett
14) Svetlana Shkolina (HJ) -Yup - though with barett looking so good all it takes is one inspired performance or a Vlasic return to form to know one of the 2 Russians off the podium.
15) Yelena Isinbaeva (PV)- WHo knows, if she has regained her consistency.
16) Yelena Sokolova (LJ) - Darya may have the current title of best Russian LJ.
17) Irina Gumenyuk (TJ) Maybe?
18) Tatyana Lysenko (HT) I hate to say yes to the drug cheat.
19) Mariya Abakumova (JT) Is having a socking poor season in terms of consistency. WIth no Spotikova I'd put her gold fav, but now I honestly think is could slip out of the medals.
21) Kristina Savitskaya (hept)- Witht he German girls not so hot I can see the two Russians in medal places. However Laura Ikeuince was very close with Savitskaya last year, so who knows who out of them has developed faster (LI was ill over the winter though ruining some of her training)
eldanielfire

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:14 pm

eldanielfire wrote:How will the Russians be #1?
01) Sergey Shubenkov (110m h) -Interesting pick. I like SS but not sure he is medal ready. Syaing that 110m is inconsistent for many athletes....etc.

Very nice... who would you add that T&F News did not pick?
bushop

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 pm

bushop wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:How will the Russians be #1?
01) Sergey Shubenkov (110m h) -Interesting pick. I like SS but not sure he is medal ready. Syaing that 110m is inconsistent for many athletes....etc.

Very nice... who would you add that T&F News did not pick?

No idea, as I said it is a field that looks like it could be whomever does it on the day. I'll be more certain of who I'd pick when I see the rounds.
eldanielfire

Postby Gabriella » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:05 am

eldanielfire wrote:20) Tatyana Chernova (hept)
21) Kristina Savitskaya (hept)- Witht he German girls not so hot I can see the two Russians in medal places. However Laura Ikeuince was very close with Savitskaya last year, so who knows who out of them has developed faster (LI was ill over the winter though ruining some of her training)

The heptathlon has been piss poor so far this season, so we may be in for a shock result come Moscow, good or bad. The event has been progressing nicely since 2009, with a record number of women over 6000 pts last year, but 2013 has seen no women over 6500 yet! :shock:

Savitskaya's Cherboksary performance was intriguing. I am inclined to believe she did not push herself and did enough to win, as she had no real competition at all. She hasn't competed since and I would not be surprised if she turns up in Moscow in 6600+ form, enough to get on the podium. Chernova has made no secret of the fact that she has been a bit injured and not in her best form. She competes at the Universiade in Kazan next, so it will be interesting to see how she has progressed. Are we back to the inconsistent pre 2011 Chernova? Ennis is a complete :?: with no outdoor performances yet. But she can be below form and still win, such is the poor standard in 2013. But this is a real opportunity for someone else to step up here, a bit like in 2008. On that note, where is Dobrynska?
Gabriella

Postby bushop » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm

2012:
Olympic medalists:
02) Ivan Ukhov (HJ) gold

Olympic top-12:
02) men (4x400n) 5th
19) women (4x100m) 12th

off the list:
Ivan Ukhov (HJ)
Svetlana Shkolina (HJ)
Yelena Sokolova (LJ)
Kristina Savitskaya (hept)

04) Aleksandr Menkov (LJ)
05) Dmitriy Tarabin (JT)
06) Antonina Krivoshapka (400m)
07) Mariya Savinova (800m)
08) Yuliya Zaripova (steeple)
09) Yelena Lashmanova (20k walk)
10) Olga Kaniskina (20k walk)
11) women (4x400m)
12) Anna Chicherova (HJ)
13) Yelena Isinbaeva (PV)
14) Irina Gumenyuk (TJ)
15) Tatyana Lysenko (HT)
16) Mariya Abakumova (JT)
17) Tatyana Chernova (hept)
bushop

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:40 am

bushop wrote:How will the Russians be #1?

off the list:
Ivan Ukhov (HJ)
Svetlana Shkolina (HJ)
Yelena Sokolova (LJ)
Kristina Savitskaya (hept)

04) Aleksandr Menkov (LJ)
05) Dmitriy Tarabin (JT)
06) Antonina Krivoshapka (400m)
07) Mariya Savinova (800m)
08) Yuliya Zaripova (steeple)
09) Yelena Lashmanova (20k walk)
10) Olga Kaniskina (20k walk)
11) women (4x400m)
12) Anna Chicherova (HJ)
13) Yelena Isinbaeva (PV)
14) Irina Gumenyuk (TJ)
15) Tatyana Lysenko (HT)
16) Mariya Abakumova (JT)
17) Tatyana Chernova (hept)

Give how the season changes, and predictions from the start to the championships this season must have seen some of the most topsy turvey changes in a long while. I put in bold my locks for a medal and likely gold, underline those I think are unlikely and italicised those who are maybe 50/50 for a medal.

I'd also consider (if they are there) as outside bets for a medal:

Yekaterina Koneva (impressive TJ win in London DL)
Yekaterina Kostetskaya
Natalya Antyukh (Olympic Gold medalist afterall)
ekaterina poistogova
Tatyana Petrova-Arkhipova
Liliya Shobukhova
Ruslan Samitov
Vladimir Krasnov

There are a few more that slipped outside my mind.
eldanielfire

Postby bushop » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:56 pm

2012:
Olympic medalists:
02) Ivan Ukhov (HJ) gold

off the list:
Valeriy Borchin (20k walk)
Yuliya Zaripova (steeple)

01) Sergey Shubenkov (6th 110m h)
02) Andrey Ruzavin (3rd 20k walk)
03) Denis Strelkov (5th 20k walk)
04) Sergey Kirdyapkin (1st 50k walk)
05) Mikhail Ryzhov (8th 50k walk)
06) Ivan Noskov (9th 50k walk)
07) men's 4x400m (6th)
08) Ivan Ukhov (5th high jump)
09) Aleksandr Shustov (8th high jump)
10) Aleksandr Menkov (1st long jump)
11) Aleksey Fyodorov (6th triple jump)
12) Maksim Sidorov (8th shot put)
13) Sergey Litvinov (6th hammer)
14) Dmitriy Tarabin (3rd javelin)
15) Antonina Krivoshapka (2nd 400m)
16) Kseniya Ryzhova (8th 400m)
17) Mariya Savinova (1st 800m)
18) Yekaterina Poistogova (2nd 800m)
19) Yelena Kotulskaya (9th 800m)
20) Yekaterina Sharmina (4th 1500m)
21) Svetlana Podosyonova (9th 1500m)
22) Natalya Aristarkhova (5th steeple)
23) Olga Golovkina (10th 5k)
24) Yelena Lashmanova (1st 20k walk)
25) Anisya Kirdyapkina (2nd 20k walk)
26) Vera Sokolova (5th 20k walk)
27) Olga Kaniskina (10th 20k walk)
28) women 4x100m (7th)
29) women 4x400m (2nd)
30) Anna Chicherova (1st high jump)
31) Svetlana Shkolina (3rd high jump)
32) Yelena Isinbaeva (2nd pole vault)
33) Anastasiya Savchenko (6th pole vault)
34) Yelena Sokolova (3rd long jump)
35) Darya Klishina (4th long jump)
36) Lyudmila Kolchanova (9th long jump)
37) Yekaterina Koneva (3rd triple jump)
38) Irina Gumenyuk (4th triple jump)
39) Alsu Murtazina (9th triple jump)
40) Yevgeniya Kolodko (5th shot put)
41) Irina Tarasova (8th shot put)
42) Tatyana Lysenko (2nd hammer)
43) Anna Bulgakova (4th hammer)
44) Oksana Kondratyeva (5th hammer)
45) Gulfiya Khanafeyeva (8th hammer)
46) Mariya Abakumova (2nd javelin)
bushop

Postby bushop » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:15 pm

01) Antonina Krivoshapka (400m) bronze
02) Sergey Shubenkov (110h) bronze
03) Aleksandr Ivanov (20k walk) gold

01) Yelena Sokolova (3rd long jump) 9th (3rd Russian)

01) Mariya Savinova (1st 800m)
02) Yekaterina Poistogova (2nd 800m)
03) Yelena Lashmanova (1st 20k walk)
04) Anisya Kirdyapkina (2nd 20k walk)
05) women 4x400m (2nd)
06) Anna Chicherova (1st high jump)
07) Svetlana Shkolina (3rd high jump)
08) Yelena Isinbaeva (2nd pole vault)
09) Yekaterina Koneva (3rd triple jump)
10) Tatyana Lysenko (2nd hammer)
11) Mariya Abakumova (2nd javelin)
12) Andrey Ruzavin (3rd 20k walk)