Music: the greatest generation.

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Music: the greatest generation.

Postby lovetorun » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Just as in Tom Brokaw's vision of the greatest generation I believe there was a period...bascially the 1960's and 70's that produced the greatest music. Some of the artist of that time are still currently performing, or at least were performing for 30-35 years...evidence of their quality and appeal. For example: Neil Diamond, Elton John, Seals and Crofts, Carol King, John Denver, Bread/David Gates, Don McLean,The Eagles, James Taylor, Glen Campbell, the Carpenters, Chicago et al.

When I go to you tube to listen to music, I find myself going to these artists and the like...most of the music of today IMHO can't compare to these artists.
lovetorun

Re: Music: the greatest generation.

Postby lonewolf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:30 pm

I agree, although my tastes run more to Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, George Jones .. The 80s did produce Ricky Van Shelton, probably the best voice of the lot.
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Bach, Handel and Scarlatti were all born in 1685. It doesn't get any better than that. :)
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:45 am

Although I am a nominal Flower Child of the 60s, and my musical tastes were set then (and the early 70s), I have always been struck by the præternatural confluence of careers that happened in 1984. These acts were all reaching the pinnacle of their creativity and success:

Michael Jackson
Bruce Springsteen
Prince
Van Halen
Billy Idol
Police
Tina Turner
Madonnna
Marlow

Postby Pego » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:23 am

tandfman wrote:Bach, Handel and Scarlatti were all born in 1685. It doesn't get any better than that. :)

Yep, plus the next two hundred years not too shabby. After that... :evil: .
Pego

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:33 am

tandfman wrote:Bach, Handel and Scarlatti were all born in 1685. It doesn't get any better than that. :)

I don't know about that. Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn were all contemporaries.

As for the 60's and 70's, they were fun days and great times to listen to AM radio. These days it seems like it is all music written for, and by, 11 year old girls. Dreadful stuff.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:44 am

Pego wrote:
Yep, plus the next two hundred years not too shabby. After that... :evil: .

Conor Dary wrote:I don't know about that. Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn were all contemporaries. As for the 60's and 70's, they were fun days and great times to listen to AM radio. These days it seems like it is all music written for, and by, 11 year old girls. Dreadful stuff.

Musical tastes are so funny. I know identical twins who disagree on what's good!
Classical Music is awesome - it puts me to sleep every night. Rock music wakes me up every day and sustains me through the day. Pandora rocks! :D
Marlow

Postby KDFINE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:06 am

Give me a good fugue to get me going in the morning.
KDFINE

Postby dj » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:27 am

Conor Dary wrote:

Mozart was a contemporary of the 1685 trio, but only as a very young child. Beethoven was not a contemporary, he was Haydn's pupil, and only after Haydn had already turned 60. And Haydn was only in his early years of composition by the time Bach, Handel and Scarlatti had died.

If you meant Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn were contemporaries only of each other, that would be true for Haydn with each of the other two. But Mozart died before Beethoven arrived in Vienna. Beethoven had planned to study with Mozart and wound up studying with Haydn and Antonio Salieri. This was before Beethoven had received any significant acclaim as a composer.
dj

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:29 am

Beatles, Led Zepplin, Stevie Wonder, Beach Boys,Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, Procol Harem, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Lynard Skinner, Neil Young, Steve Miller, Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Cream,Joe Cocker, James Brown, Bee Gees are ALL better then whatever is the top act today and history will prove me right, said they old foggie
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:12 am

Wanna nuther seminal year? In 1969

Beatles did their roof-top concert and released Abbey Road.
Rolling Stones released Let It Bleed.
The Who released Tommy.
Led Zepp released LZI and LZ II
Hendrix was getting arrested
Morrison was getting arrested
Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan released an album together
Chicago debuted
Elvis made his Las Vegas comeback
Simon & Garfunkle were big
Pink Floyd were big
Jackson 5 debuted
Credence Clearwater Revival released Bayou Country
Crosby, Stills & Nash released CSN
Blind Faith (Clapton, Baker & Winwood) formed

and lastly

Woodstock.

(and I graduated from HS and went to college and lost something I didn't necessarily want.)
Marlow

Postby TN1965 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:03 am

Marlow wrote:Although I am a nominal Flower Child of the 60s, and my musical tastes were set then (and the early 70s), I have always been struck by the præternatural confluence of careers that happened in 1984. These acts were all reaching the pinnacle of their creativity and success:

Michael Jackson
Bruce Springsteen
Prince
Van Halen
Billy Idol
Police
Tina Turner
Madonnna

You forgot to add...

Lionel Richie.
Phil Collins.
Sade.
Culture Club.

By the way, MJ, Prince and Madonna were all born in 1958, IIRC.
TN1965

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:07 am

Lionel Richie - no
Phil Collins - yes
Sade - no
Culture Club -no
(not that I'm a fan of Madonna)
Marlow

Postby Blues » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 am

Marlow wrote:Wanna nuther seminal year? In 1969

Beatles did their roof-top concert and released Abbey Road.
Rolling Stones released Let It Bleed.
The Who released Tommy.
Led Zepp released LZI and LZ II
Hendrix was getting arrested
Morrison was getting arrested
Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan released an album together
Chicago debuted
Elvis made his Las Vegas comeback
Simon & Garfunkle were big
Pink Floyd were big
Jackson 5 debuted
Credence Clearwater Revival released Bayou Country
Crosby, Stills & Nash released CSN
Blind Faith (Clapton, Baker & Winwood) formed

and lastly

Woodstock.

(and I graduated from HS and went to college and lost something I didn't necessarily want.)

Great era... That was a time when there were many instrumental virtuosos to admire, especially for a guitar player like myself... Today it seems like it's primarily the vocalists who are most popular...

Although I was just a kid and I'd never heard of him at the time, 1969 was also the year that one of my favorite electric Blues artists, "Magic Sam", died of a heart attack at the height of his career at age 32.. His "West Side Soul" album is one of my stranded on an island music choices.
Last edited by Blues on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blues

Postby cullman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:39 am

Pick any year in the 1930s:
Jerome Kern
Irving Berlin
Cole Porter
Richard Rodgers
Lorenz Hart
Oscar Hammerstein
Robert Johnson...
cullman

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:51 am

All songs written before 1955 or after 1965 are no good.

(That's age 12-22 for me.)
dukehjsteve

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:01 am

dukehjsteve wrote:All songs written before 1955 or after 1965 are no good.
(That's age 12-22 for me.)

I can dig it.
Did you feel the Beatles' ushering in of the British Invasion and its profound effect on rock'n'roll (essentially turning it into 'Rock') RUINED pop music forever?
Marlow

Postby TN1965 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 am

Marlow wrote:Wanna nuther seminal year? In 1969...

And next year the Beatles and S&G broke up, Diana Ross left the Supremes, and Eddie Kendricks left Temptations...
TN1965

Postby TN1965 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:07 am

Marlow wrote:Lionel Richie - no
Phil Collins - yes
Sade - no
Culture Club -no
(not that I'm a fan of Madonna)

At least I had the decency not to include Duran Duran on that list...
TN1965

Postby kuha » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 am

Hmmm... My taste runs more to:

late 1960s: Yardbirds; Kinks; Cream; Jack Bruce; Miles Davis
1970s: Stooges; Ramones; Sex Pistols; Clash; Talking Heads; Elvis Costello; Jeff Beck; Allman Bros
1980s: Bad Brains; The Replacements; The Minutemen; X; Black Flag; Killing Joke; Mudhoney; New Order; Smiths; Suicidal Tendencies; Big Audio Dynamite; Phillip Glass
1990s: Fugazi; Helmet; Incubus; Luscious Jackson; Morphine; Melvins; Dinosaur Jr; and a long-sustained rediscovery of 1950s-60s jazz
2000s: Amy Winehouse; Martin, Medeski, & Wood; etc.

No Madonna here.
Last edited by kuha on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:48 am

dj wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:

Mozart was a contemporary of the 1685 trio, but only as a very young child. Beethoven was not a contemporary, he was Haydn's pupil, and only after Haydn had already turned 60. And Haydn was only in his early years of composition by the time Bach, Handel and Scarlatti had died.

If you meant Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn were contemporaries only of each other, that would be true for Haydn with each of the other two. But Mozart died before Beethoven arrived in Vienna. Beethoven had planned to study with Mozart and wound up studying with Haydn and Antonio Salieri. This was before Beethoven had received any significant acclaim as a composer.

You are right dj. I was a little loose with the term contemporary.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:50 am

TN1965 wrote:
Marlow wrote:Wanna nuther seminal year? In 1969...

And next year the Beatles and S&G broke up, Diana Ross left the Supremes, and Eddie Kendricks left Temptations...

Hey, don't forget Altamont, Dec 6, 1969, when the decade came crashing down.

I also ran in my second marathon that day, the North Central Marathon.
Conor Dary

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:47 am

Conor Dary wrote:[Hey, don't forget Altamont, Dec 6, 1969, when the decade came crashing down.I also ran in my second marathon that day, the North Central Marathon.

So did I (second marathon, same race!) around 2:52.

How did this get this far without mentioning Bob.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby marknhj » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:31 pm

There are great bands and there is great music to enjoy in every decade. Unless your ears are closed to new experiences or your habit so ingrained, and your imagination so inhibited, you cannot not listen to your personal favorite oldies.
marknhj

Postby Cooter Brown » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:42 pm

All i get from this thread is that there's some old mofo's on this forum. Track is gonna be dead in 20 years.
Cooter Brown

Postby gm » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Cooter Brown wrote:All i get from this thread is that there's some old mofo's on this forum. Track is gonna be dead in 20 years.

Guess it's a good thing I hadn't already posted my love for ancient chants and bagpipe music :lol:
gm

Postby kuha » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:52 pm

marknhj wrote:There are great bands and there is great music to enjoy in every decade. Unless your ears are closed to new experiences or your habit so ingrained, and your imagination so inhibited, you cannot not listen to your personal favorite oldies.

It's totally true. All it takes is interest enough to do a little searching and then simply listening.
kuha

Postby bad hammy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:41 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:Beatles, Led Zepplin, Stevie Wonder, Beach Boys,Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, Procol Harem, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Lynard Skinner, Neil Young, Steve Miller, Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Cream,Joe Cocker, James Brown, Bee Gees are ALL better then whatever is the top act today and history will prove me right, said they old foggie

What he said, from another foggie. Speaking of foggies, add John Fogarty to any list of great 60s rockers . . .
bad hammy

Postby aaronk » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:39 pm

bad hammy wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:Beatles, Led Zepplin, Stevie Wonder, Beach Boys,Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, Procol Harem, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Lynard Skinner, Neil Young, Steve Miller, Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Cream,Joe Cocker, James Brown, Bee Gees are ALL better then whatever is the top act today and history will prove me right, said they old foggie

What he said, from another foggie. Speaking of foggies, add John Fogarty to any list of great 60s rockers . . .

Um.....anybody heard of a guy named Bob Dylan??

Just sayin'!!
aaronk

Postby JayIsMe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Hard to argue with anybody's list, although I'm partial to Marlow's 1969 list just because I graduated high school a few years after he did. The '30s list is great too, and that's without mentioning guys like Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Chick Webb, or any of the later big band stuff. Marknhj is right about every decade having great music up to a point, but there is a point. I've had this argument with my kids and I maintain that the biggest difference between popular music then and now is that most of those guys, even a lot of the rock guys, were classically trained MUSICIANS. I mean, Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson could really play. Sometime around the early 90s (maybe around the time of grunge rock?) just about any 3-chord garage band could get a record deal and air time, and a lot of them did. It's been mostly downhill for me since then. I've got no beef against rap- it's just a different form and a lot of the lyric is really clever- but there's no melody to the 'music' anymore.
JayIsMe

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:45 pm

JayIsMe wrote: I've got no beef against rap- it's just a different form and a lot of the lyric is really clever- but there's no melody to the 'music' anymore.

To me, that means it's not music.
tandfman

Postby Pego » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:17 am

tandfman wrote:
JayIsMe wrote: I've got no beef against rap- it's just a different form and a lot of the lyric is really clever- but there's no melody to the 'music' anymore.

To me, that means it's not music.

My concept of hell is being locked in a room painted by DeKooning, listening to rap, with a smell of Subway.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:39 am

Pego wrote:My concept of hell is being locked in a room painted by DeKooning, listening to rap, with a smell of Subway.

Ooooh - fun game: my hell is being locked in a room with (painter), (music genre), (restaurant smell).

I go - Hell is being locked in a room painted by Thomas Kincade, listening to soft jazz, with the smell of Olive Garden. :D
Marlow

Postby lovetorun » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:14 am

kuha wrote:
marknhj wrote:There are great bands and there is great music to enjoy in every decade. Unless your ears are closed to new experiences or your habit so ingrained, and your imagination so inhibited, you cannot not listen to your personal favorite oldies.

It's totally true. All it takes is interest enough to do a little searching and then simply listening.

marknhj and kuha...this is a good point...and probably the best attitude if we really want to enjoy music, both past and present. But I still maintain that, for me, the 60's, 70's type music isn't prevalent today.

But this has been fun seeing all the responses...
lovetorun

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:15 am

Salvatore Dali, rap, curry.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:32 am

lonewolf wrote:Salvatore Dali

Surprise, surprise (not) - my favorite artist! :D
Marlow

Postby preston » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 am

Pollock, bluegrass or acid rock, pig farm
preston

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:51 am

I'm reminded of the joke about how they came up with a new form of music that combines country with rap and called it crap . . .
bad hammy

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:My concept of hell is being locked in a room painted by DeKooning, listening to rap, with a smell of Subway.

Ooooh - fun game: my hell is being locked in a room with (painter), (music genre), (restaurant smell).

preston wrote:Pollock, bluegrass or acid rock, pig farm

Ha! I imagine few us choose to eat at a pig farm.
Marlow

Postby preston » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 am

Marlow wrote:
Marlow wrote:

preston wrote:Pollock, bluegrass or acid rock, pig farm

Ha! I imagine few us choose to eat at a pig farm.

Marlow, I didn't follow you because I believe you got it wrong. I don't believe that Pego meant the restaurant; I believe he meant the underground travel medium (and the general nausea it can ellicit). Now, you may have known that and changed the "game" to your criteria; however, I made my contrasts in the spirit of Pego not Marlow. You're welcome to switch to follow us; I think ours is better, anyway.

Also, did you notice that "lonewolf" only dealt with the smell and not from where the smell came?
preston

Next