The 20' (and beyond) PV

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: The 20' (and beyond) PV

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Dave wrote:Uselses clearing 16' looked a lot more like a straight pole vaulter than a modern vaulter. I didn't look really carefully, but it didn't look like he had a lot of pushoff. His biggest gain was from a higher handhold rather than any sort of released energy from the pole pushing him up.

Indeed. The most arresting visual aspect of a fb vault vs. a stiff pole is the arc the body describes. In a straight vault the body swings up and then 'falls' over the bar with little 'trajectory'. In a fb vault there is a much more pronounced arc characterized by the angle of the push-off as the body is still ascending.

Anyone remember this dude?

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corb ... 9b8b62bfc4

My jaw dropped when I saw him vault; he looked like he was being THOWN over the bar when he vaulted; he was just along for the ride. Never seen anything like it till Bubka started doing it too.
Marlow

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Marlow wrote:
Dave wrote:Uselses clearing 16' looked a lot more like a straight pole vaulter than a modern vaulter. I didn't look really carefully, but it didn't look like he had a lot of pushoff. His biggest gain was from a higher handhold rather than any sort of released energy from the pole pushing him up.

Indeed. The most arresting visual aspect of a fb vault vs. a stiff pole is the arc the body describes. In a straight vault the body swings up and then 'falls' over the bar with little 'trajectory'. In a fb vault there is a much more pronounced arc characterized by the angle of the push-off as the body is still ascending.

Anyone remember this dude?

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corb ... 9b8b62bfc4

My jaw dropped when I saw him vault; he looked like he was being THOWN over the bar when he vaulted; he was just along for the ride. Never seen anything like it till Bubka started doing it too.

Who is it?
Dave

Postby El Toro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Dave wrote: And if that jump was really at 17', he should have gotten 17'6 that day.

I doubt it was 17' as the clip is described clearly as:
Pennel pole vaults for the benefit of newsreel cameramen, shortly after setting the new record.

Sounds like a safe height to me.
El Toro

Postby kuha » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:21 pm

I missed that the first time around--and did think he was blasting way over 17 feet.
kuha

Postby Per Andersen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Dave wrote:

Who is it?[/quote]
Claus Schiprowski
Per Andersen

Previous