meanwhile, just down the road from T&FN offices

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

meanwhile, just down the road from T&FN offices

Postby gh » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:16 am

live stream of the final Endeavour flyby (due in an hour).... people flooding the area by the thousands.
gh

Re: meanwhile, just down the road from T&FN offices

Postby gh » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 am

gh

Postby br » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:59 am

Did you see it go by? It should be over L.A. at about 11:30 am. I will watching from the roof of my office located a couple miles from JPL.
br

Postby mcgato » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:05 am

When the shuttle came to NYC, it flew by my office a couple of times. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera handy. Pretty cool. I work in New Jersey, right by the Hudson River a little north of Manhattan, and the plane flew up the Hudson, turned around, then flew back south towards JFK airport (I think it was that one). I missed the barge take it to the aircraft carrier, where it sits now. Damn work got in the way.
mcgato

Postby gh » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:43 am

Well it was worth playing hookey for a couple of hours and walking a few miles down onto the levees in San Francisco Bay. My photo posted on T&FN's Facebook page.
gh

Postby JRM » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:55 pm

I was at the foot of the runway at LAX. We got treated to two fly-overs (one before it went to Orange County, one when it came back) before it came in for a landing. Having lived in SoCal for 11 years, I've always wanted to see a shuttle landing at Edwards AFB. Every time it happened, though, I was unable to get out there in time. Better late than never, I suppose.

A bitter sweet day for the space program.

The good thing is: in two weeks, we get to do this again and watch it be towed to the California Science Center!
JRM

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:30 pm

JRM wrote:The good thing is: in two weeks, we get to do this again and watch it be towed to the California Science Center!

On the NBC News tonight, they had a report of the furor over the cutting down of FOUR HUNDRED trees so that the Shuttle can be brought down the road from LAX to the CSC.
dukehjsteve

Postby JRM » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:37 pm

I took my daughter to see Endeavour roll down Crenshaw Blvd in LA yesterday. We watched it crawl by about 10 metres in front of us. An absolutely incredible piece of engineering.

The LA Times has a great photoblog here, for those who weren't privy to the event (or the non-stop news coverage):

http://framework.latimes.com/2012/10/12 ... our-2/#/46
JRM

Postby gh » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:56 am

quip on a local radio station: "If they had added a Merccedes hood ornament, tinted windows and tires with spinning chrome rims, no one would ever have noticed the shuttle rolling through downtown Los Angeles"
gh