HSI and John Smith athletes.?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

HSI and John Smith athletes.?

Postby Rustyjaguar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:58 am

Who all is John Smith coaching now ? I know he has Walter Dix, Ryan Bailey, and Richard Thompson. Who else? Does anyone know how Walter is doing from his injury? Hope he comes back in great shape .I hope Bailey continues to improve under Smith. Would be nice to see a rematch of that 4x100 with Jamaica, excpet have a healthy Dix in the line up on third. You could have Gatlin, Gay, Dix, and Bailey. Man, I wished Demps would have chosen track too . He could have been outstanding under Smith. Similar Body types in Bolden, Greene , and Drummond did well under Smith.
Rustyjaguar

Re: HSI and John Smith athletes.?

Postby sprintdoc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:56 am

Not sure who John Smith is coaching going forward. Have heard some athletes are leaving and go elsewhere after less than successful or injury plagued seasons.
sprintdoc

Postby Speedster » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:45 am

Seems short sighted to me for someone to leave after one year with a coach unless there was a serious breakdown in the relationship. It usually takes two seasons to properly judge if they are successful or not, particularly if there are injuries at play.

From what I remember, Smith also has Jason Richardson, Carmelita Jeter and Blessing Okagbare.
Speedster

Postby 18.99s » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 am

Speedster wrote:Seems short sighted to me for someone to leave after one year with a coach unless there was a serious breakdown in the relationship. It usually takes two seasons to properly judge if they are successful or not, particularly if there are injuries at play.

However, the training program is partially the cause of the injuries or lack thereof. If an athlete believes the particular style/volume/intensity of training caused their injuries, it would be logical for them to find another coach.
18.99s

Postby fourjz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28 am

18.99s wrote:
Speedster wrote:Seems short sighted to me for someone to leave after one year with a coach unless there was a serious breakdown in the relationship. It usually takes two seasons to properly judge if they are successful or not, particularly if there are injuries at play.

However, the training program is partially the cause of the injuries or lack thereof. If an athlete believes the particular style/volume/intensity of training caused their injuries, it would be logical for them to find another coach.

So if an athlete gets hurt it's the Coach's fault,and or they have a bad coach ?
fourjz

Postby j-a-m » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 pm

fourjz wrote:So if an athlete gets hurt it's the Coach's fault,and or they have a bad coach ?

It depends, it may or may not have to do with the training program; and I consider a world class athlete capable of determining just that after an entire season with a coach.
j-a-m

Postby Speedster » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:08 am

From everything I've read the HSI programme is intense but I guess that could be said of a lot of coaches. And like all coaches, Smith has had success and some athletes that haven't responded to his training, for whatever reason.

He's done we'll recently (he's had a long career) with athletes like Greene, Miller, Jeter who have come to him as established athletes on the US team and turned them into gold medalists.
Speedster

Postby berkeley » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Perri Shakes-Drayton.
berkeley

Postby mal » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:46 am

fourjz wrote:
18.99s wrote:

So if an athlete gets hurt it's the Coach's fault,and or they have a bad coach ?

I would say that the coach has as much to do with it as the athlete. If the coach is truly building the athlete towards something, then yes. Managing the athlete's preparation is critical to success. Managing recovery is as important as planning workouts. Chosing races and race strategy is critical to success.
That's why they have coaches. Its real easy to run athletes into the dirt. Its also easy to find a champion if you get all talent. Selecting the right coach is important. Not all athletes get to the same place the same way.
mal