Fiction With Footnotes

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Fiction With Footnotes

Postby KDFINE » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:40 am

I was going to post on "What Are You Reading Now" but figured this could be a new thread. I am reading Josh Bazell's second novel "Wild Thing" having read the first, "Beat the Reaper" a few weeks back. They are about a doctor, formerly a mob hitman, in the witness protection program. Bazell is a doctor. The novel's are augmented with footnotes, often medical, that add to the story line. The only other fiction writer I'm aware of who used this technique was George-MacDonald Fraser in his "Flashman" novels, works of historical fiction. Any other examples of footnotes in fiction out there that folks could recommend?
KDFINE

Re: Fiction With Footnotes

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 am

I remember seeing them by several sci-fi authors, but when I googled it, I got an avalanche of examples!

http://www.miskatonic.org/footnotes.html
Marlow

Re: Fiction With Footnotes

Postby KDFINE » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:32 am

Thanks. I'm not into Sci-Fi but I'll ask my nephew who is, and he is also a high school English teacher. The examples I gave appear to be truthful footnotes that help move the story along. When the original "Flashman" was published there were reviewers who thought it was a real memoir rather than a work of (historical) fiction.
KDFINE