Argo

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Argo

Postby jeremyp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:06 am

Must see movie of the year! Affleck pulls off another stellar feat of movie making. People were clapping at the end, and near the end as well. Based on a true story Affleck adds some fictional drama to make it an on the edge of your seat tense last half hour, and I think that's fine. Hey it's the movies and you can do what you want. If you don't like it? Argo......yourself.
jeremyp

Re: Argo

Postby Marlow » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:22 am

Going to see it tomorrow. Saw Seven Psychopaths today and walked out at the 45-minute mark, though I thought about it much sooner. It''s not at all 'entertaining' (so it's a bad movie) and as a film, it's as much 'cinematic art' as a Buddhist monk setting himself on fire is 'performance art' . :evil:
Marlow

Postby gh » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 am

60 Minutes had a good feature on the nuts & bolts of the escape plan a few months back.
gh

Postby Marlow » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:05 am

Saw it today: As the 75-word Reviewer sez:

If the real story underlying this Ben-Affleck directed and starred story about smuggling diplomats out of the Iran Hostage Crisis situation was even half as intense as this film portrays it to be, WOW! As the tag-line goes in explaining how the CIA got the operation approved: “As bad ideas go, this is by far the best bad idea we have.” The suspense will have your heart pumping at max-capacity for the whole last hour!
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:36 am

Marlow wrote:Saw it today: As the 75-word Reviewer sez:

If the real story underlying this Ben-Affleck directed and starred story about smuggling diplomats out of the Iran Hostage Crisis situation was even half as intense as this film portrays it to be, WOW! As the tag-line goes in explaining how the CIA got the operation approved: “As bad ideas go, this is by far the best bad idea we have.” The suspense will have your heart pumping at max-capacity for the whole last hour!

For the true, and not nearly as tense, story:
https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for- ... /art1.html

Affleck adds fictional stuff for the tense airport scenes, but it doesn't really matter as he manages to get every inch of drama possible. In order to do so he bails on an important aspect of the story, don't worry no spoiler coming, in order to get the airport scenes to work. Later on this!
jeremyp

Postby kuha » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Just saw it. A wonderfully entertaining movie, and highly recommended--but I'd guess the real story was slightly less dramatic. I laughed at the "science" of the takeoff scene, however.
kuha

Postby jhc68 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 pm

I agree... it is a great Hollywood movie. All kinds of gimmicks, short-cuts, simplifications and exaggerations but fabulous story telling.
Without starting a political firestorm here I feel compelled to relate the words of the clueless folks sitting in front of me in the theater who, seeing the hostages clearing Iranian airspace, called out, "Thank you Ronald Reagan!"
Say what?
jhc68

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:45 am

jhc68 wrote:I agree... it is a great Hollywood movie. All kinds of gimmicks, short-cuts, simplifications and exaggerations but fabulous story telling.
Without starting a political firestorm here I feel compelled to relate the words of the clueless folks sitting in front of me in the theater who, seeing the hostages clearing Iranian airspace, called out, "Thank you Ronald Reagan!"
Say what?

On the other hand, his win two months prior had to give the the Iranians pause that a 'cowboy' was about to live in the White House. :shock:
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am

Marlow wrote:
jhc68 wrote:I agree... it is a great Hollywood movie. All kinds of gimmicks, short-cuts, simplifications and exaggerations but fabulous story telling.
Say what?

On the other hand, his win two months prior had to give the the Iranians pause that a 'cowboy' was about to live in the White House. :shock:

January 28 1980 Carter was still firmly ensconced in the White House, and congratulated Mendez there. Then Carter pulled us out of the Olympics, I refused to vote for him, and naturally he lost the election. :D
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:37 am

Now the Canadians are having their problems with the facts of the story. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... d-straight
Basically the CIA and Mendez( Affleck's character) played second fiddle to the work done by the Canadians.
jeremyp

Postby Helen S » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:51 am

JeremyP- Could you give us a reference for this info? It is not terribly surprising, and laughably saddening.
Helen S

Postby jeremyp » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:25 am

Helen S wrote:JeremyP- Could you give us a reference for this info? It is not terribly surprising, and laughably saddening.

Which info? Ohio? http://current.com/1n8cgkc. Also Harper's Index.
jeremyp

Postby kuha » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Turns out there were even more "liberties" taken with the historical record than most of us might have thought. I'm frankly not surprised at all. For better or worse, an entertaining film has no need or responsibility to be factually accurate. It's our problem if we confuse movie making with history telling.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:47 pm

I thought the story was wrong. Contrary to some reports it was relatively widely known at the time, and I remember the Canadians having a big part.

All pretty weird. Only a year before our Pan Am flight on the way to Delhi stopped in Tehran. We were there for about 6 hours. And we were all glad to get out of there.
Last edited by Conor Dary on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

former Canadian ambassador not thrilled with the representation:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... d-straight
gh

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:53 pm

kuha wrote: It's our problem if we confuse movie making with history telling.

Wait what?! You mean Abraham Lincoln was NOT a Vampire Hunter?! :shock:
Marlow

Postby kuha » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Marlow wrote:
kuha wrote: It's our problem if we confuse movie making with history telling.

Wait what?! You mean Abraham Lincoln was NOT a Vampire Hunter?! :shock:

I have no idea. I'll have to use the google to answer that one.
kuha