Wisconsin Adidas Invitational

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Wisconsin Adidas Invitational

Postby Mighty Favog » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:46 pm

There's plenty to talk about here, including a massive "oops" when some of the timing chips failed. On the men's side, Stanford's win was unexpected and Iona came through well too. Lalang ran even faster than last year, and Cal Poly's freshman Laura Hollander stunned with a huge course record.

But what really struck me was Wisconsin's men. They lost to two Big Ten teams, which hasn't happened in any meet since 2001. They finished 17th, and I can't say with any certainty when last they finished so far down in a meet; it could be 1980.

Mo Ahmed didn't run, as Mick Byrne is playing it close to the vest as to whether he'll redshirt or not (and maybe he doesn't even know yet). Reed Connor ran and well but was unattached, as Byrne says he'll probably redshirt if Ahmed does.

If you score Connor for Wisconsin, they're basically even with Michigan for 7th. If you figure Ahmed for third (after Lalang and Sambu) and score him, the Badgers are still only 4th.

Wisconsin has streaks of 13 straight Big Ten titles and 10 straight Great Lakes regional titles. Those could end this year.
Mighty Favog

Re: Wisconsin Adidas Invitational

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 pm

The gal from Cal Poly essentially led the entire way and had no one with her after the first little bit. Saina ate up some of the gap on the final finish but it never looked like she would catch her. I think she said she went to Marina in southern California. The course is about 75m short of 6km, but it was still a course record by more than 20 seconds (although this is the fastest it has ever been because it has been very dry). 55th was 24:01, there were 316 in the Men's race and 326 in the Women's race.

It was cool but sunny and pleasant with only a modest breeze. I think that there was a glitch with the power generator (there is not yet a permanent building there and so they used a generator that apparently went off-line. They had to go to the dual video for the backup, I think, although I was busy with other things, so I do not know for sure.

The men's race really exploded after 4.5 and especially after 5.5 kilometers. Some guys who were very near the front at 3km finished back at 200++, although with 230 breaking 25minutes, that is not too surprising.

If Mo Ahmed and Connor both run they take third by about 12 points over Oklahoma, and are only 30 out of first. This was the most important NCAA race of the year outside of the NCAA championships because it will have the biggest effect on who gets in to the champs and who have a big enough margin for error that they can rest a few guys at Regionals (or have them run hard tempo).
26mi235

Postby DoubleRBar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Laura Hollander has made a sensational transition from high school to college cross country. She went to high school in Southern California (Huntington Beach Marina) and was a very good high school runner. Keep it going.
DoubleRBar

Postby aaronk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:28 am

First, let's correct an error!!
The date listed on the front page all week in the "results" area said the meet was to be October 13th!!
Since the races were on the 12th, I guess they had it wrong all week!!
Now, on to a few "significant" finishers in the women's 6K.

Of course, there's the FROSH (!!!) winner, Laura Hollander, who ran 19:33.
But two other Frosh weren't far behind.
Second frosh was Sarah Collins, overall 6th, in the time of 19:50.
Third frosh was Cayla Hatton, overall 14th, in the time of 20:02.
(In a post-race interview on Flo-Track, Cayla said she was sick pre-race, so was very happy to have run as well as she did!!)

Two of the best-ever HS steeplers, ran okay, but it's apparent they should stick to steepling for the time being!!
Maddie Meyers, a frosh, finished 114th overall, her time 20:53.
The HSR holder, Brianna Nerud, finished 163rd overall, time of 21:09.

Finally, a mention must be made of the 308th finisher overall, time of 22:41.
Why?
Her name is Brianna Jackucewitz.
Ring a bell??
In 2004, as a 7th grader, she ran a "Frosh class" record in the indoor 5000, time of 16:43.02!!
That time wasn't broken until last year....by a "real" frosh!!
Does anyone know where she's been since 2004??
Was she injured??
Did she run competitively at all??
She's listed as a Junior (class).
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:59 am

Addendum to my above post:

I Googled Brianna Jackucewitz, and discovered a 6 minute speech she gave at Harvard in Feb of this year.
She spoke of her running career, its ups and downs, and why she's continuing to run.

She had a series of injuries her first 3 years at Harvard.
She recounted her record-setting 5K as a 13 year old in 2004.
While not blaming her father, she called her father a "madman"!!!
She said she'd been running since age 6, and that it was part of her life.
She said she'll continue to run, and race.

Hopefully injury-free!!!
aaronk

Postby tandfman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:40 am

aaronk wrote:Two of the best-ever HS steeplers, ran okay, but it's apparent they should stick to steepling for the time being!!
Maddie Meyers, a frosh, finished 114th overall, her time 20:53.
The HSR holder, Brianna Nerud, finished 163rd overall, time of 21:09.

Is your implication that good steeplers don't have to be good distance runners? Not sure I agree.
In any event, I wouldn't write off these freshmen (or any other freshmen) based on a single cross country race at the dawn of their college careers. We've no idea what they did this summer, where they are in their training cycle, etc.
tandfman