What's up with JW?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: What's up with JW?

Postby mal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:00 am

True, I don't think it has anything to do with his racing history. I think white guys mature later, so 25 - 32 is prime. Physiology says males can maintain strength out to 35. He's not worn out.

Gatlin and Reynolds got older, and came back strong, but I believe it was the mental targets that kept them competitive, not the fact that they may have been wrapped in cotton wool for a cople of years. And I am sure they worked hard in the interim, not at current levels, but they didn't go to Eagles games and tailgate.

JW had a couple of niggles, but nothing life threatening. I think its more what's in his head. The comment that he still wants to break 43 is a way to try jolly up his motivation, but I am not sure that's enough for him.

Perhaps he should do the Rocky thing and move to Siberia?

I see athletes who win, make money, then get comfy, then hang around cos there is too much money. And wonder why they finish in the pack and not at the front.

You need desperation and wonder to make it to the top. Once those are gone its tough to squeeze a couple of extra yards out of yourself.
mal

Postby ATK » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:26 am

mal wrote:JW had a couple of niggles, but nothing life threatening. I think its more what's in his head. The comment that he still wants to break 43 is a way to try jolly up his motivation, but I am not sure that's enough for him.

If you would have said that back in May I would have agreed with you but then this article popped up before trials.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/t ... place.html
ATK

Postby EPelle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:01 am

For perspective on the wear and tear on Wariner's legs, it might be worth drawing a dotted line to 100m averages in his race. Wariner's seasonal best 4x100m averages were ca. 10,98/10,90/10,86/10,95, respectively, in his sub-44 seasons. Since his last sub-44 season (2008), he's averaged 11,15/11,03/11,22/11,24 seasonal bests averages from 2009-2012. He'll need 10,7475 on average to reach his goal of sub-43. If viewed strictly from a 100m perspective, it doesn't seem plausible that a sprinter can go from four-consecutive seasons averaging 11,16 to the 10,7-range whilst previously not having ever run faster than 10,86 -- and that being just once...six seasons back. There's likely a woman sprinter outlier who's achieved just that. Perhaps not. At any rate, I don't see Wariner averaging 4x100m at his dream pace given the above.

Wariner's 43,45 was 0,26 seconds faster than the sum of the top four women's 100m times that season (43,71). For all intents and purposes, Wariner peaked that season, shaving off an average of 0,04 seconds per 100m from the 43,62 he ran in 2006. It's truly going to be in his dreams to reach that level of sprinting again. But, it's not impossible.
EPelle

Postby mal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:25 am

ATK wrote:
mal wrote:JW had a couple of niggles, but nothing life threatening. I think its more what's in his head. The comment that he still wants to break 43 is a way to try jolly up his motivation, but I am not sure that's enough for him.

If you would have said that back in May I would have agreed with you but then this article popped up before trials.

When I said I was not sure it was enough. I meant enough to get him over his hump.

I think that article confirms that he has other things in his life. He is all at sea. Focus seems to be lost. It is competing in importance. Seems like he is over his time in the sun. IHe needs to find something to reframe his interest if he wants to be the man again. I don't think he's physically incapable. I think he can get there, but he has to find a reason in himself to get there. Packing a kids lunch and attending PTA meetings are drains at that level. You grow up and grow out of the top echelon.
mal

Postby user4 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:01 am

mal wrote:
ATK wrote:If you would have said that back in May I would have agreed with you but then this article popped up before trials.

I think that article confirms that he has other things in his life. He is all at sea. Focus seems to be lost. It is competing in importance. Seems like he is over his time in the sun. IHe needs to find something to reframe his interest if he wants to be the man again. I don't think he's physically incapable. I think he can get there, but he has to find a reason in himself to get there. Packing a kids lunch and attending PTA meetings are drains at that level. You grow up and grow out of the top echelon.

mal nails it. I never met an athlete that did better while taking on all kinds of extra family luggage. In those cases where marriage does improve an athlete it is in cases where the spouse allows greater focus on the track and greater support of the athlete. Not the other way around. As the great governor of the state of Texas used to say: Stick a fork in 'em.
user4

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 am

A tweet from JW:

>>Jeremy Wariner‏@Jwariner

Lincoln Kai Wariner was born Oct 9, 2012. 6.5lbs. 19 3/4. 12:51am<<

Congratulations!
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 am

tandfman wrote:A tweet from JW:
>>Jeremy Wariner‏@Jwariner
Lincoln Kai Wariner was born Oct 9, 2012. 6.5lbs. 19 3/4. 12:51am<<
Congratulations!

Let that be the incentive he needs to figure out where he went off the rails and how to get himself back on track. He's not old enough to be over the hill.
Marlow

Postby ATK » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Marlow wrote:He's not old enough to be over the hill.

Arguable in his event. especially at a time like now.
ATK

Postby jainny » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:00 am

Hello
Greetings to all members of this community.I am jainny from India.I am new member here..
nice to meet you all…….
Thanks
----------------
dainik bhasker
jainny

Postby gh » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 am

welcome!
gh

Postby slowcat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Related to JW and age. I am surprised that there has been no mention of Mike Larrabee. He was unable to make the Olympic team in 1956 or 1960 but while working several jobs in 1964 ran his best and won two golds in Tokyo. At 31 years of age, he still had the desire and not the early awards.
slowcat

Postby user4 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:20 pm

slowcat wrote:Related to JW and age. I am surprised that there has been no mention of Mike Larrabee. He was unable to make the Olympic team in 1956 or 1960 but while working several jobs in 1964 ran his best and won two golds in Tokyo. At 31 years of age, he still had the desire and not the early awards.

Larrabee at 30 had not run at the elite to 10 level for 8 years straight going into 1964:

1955: 10th
1957: 2nd
1964: 1st

There is alot of wear and tear that happens with training and racing at the peak level for 8 years... Wariner has put those miles on the car and they dont come off with age.
user4

Previous