RIP: Boo Morcom

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

RIP: Boo Morcom

Postby dj » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:45 am

dj

Re: RIP: Boo Morcom

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:30 am

When I started competing in Masters T&F up north back in the day, he was a fixture at indoor meets, whipping up on younger whipper-snappers. I had several very nice conversations with him - what a great guy.
Marlow

Postby DoubleRBar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Sorry to hear about Boo's death. I often wondered what he would have done in London (1948) without his ankle injury. He still finished in sixth place. He will be missed.
DoubleRBar

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:42 pm

I got to know Bo when I was on the Penn track & field team in the early 1970s. He had been a tenured member of the Penn Phys.Ed department but Penn decided to eliminate the department before I got there. So they made Boo the head of intramurals and since he was a national-level masters competitor in the pole vault, he would train with the pole vaulters during practice. Penn always had good vaulters and decathletes and Boo taught them a lot about the pole vault.

When Penn started its women's track & field team in 1976, Bo served as its first coach for a year or two. It certainly helped get a program off the ground to have a former Olympic women's coach at the start.

One hobby that Boo loved was collecting bottles of all shapes and sizes. I wonder what happened to his vast collection.

A colorful and eccentric guy, a great competitor, and a teacher. One of those people that they broke the mold when he was born. May he rest in peace.
Halfmiler2