Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am

Daisy wrote:edit: and now the NYTimes has picked up the ball too.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/10 ... tweet.html

NYTimes was just running a story written by the AP.
tandfman

Postby slowjo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:03 am

I check out twitter about once a week and rarely tweet anything (who cares what I had for lunch..okay Squackee does but besides him?) .

I did eliminate about 90% of the track athletes I followed because their narcissitic tweets made me start to really dislike them. Also eliminated those who post Jesus talk all day long. I want to stay a fan of some of those people on the track so not reading their inane posts might help.
8-)

Not that I was ever a Jones fan.
slowjo

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:04 am

Daisy wrote:
decafan wrote:Daisy, if you read my first response to tandfman, you will see his original post in a quote. The part you agree with was added later as an edit.

Ah, I missed that edit.

You missed it because it didn't (and still doesn't) show as an edit. For the past couple of years, it's been the case that if you edit your own post before anyone has responded to it, the fact that you've edited it does not appear.

In this case, I read what I wrote and I immediately realized that it could have sounded harsh, which I did not intend. So I edited it. decafan must have grabbed the quote in that short period of time (probably less than a minute) when the unedited version was visible.
tandfman

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:14 am

slowjo wrote:I did eliminate about 90% of the track athletes I followed because their narcissitic tweets made me start to really dislike them. Also eliminated those who post Jesus talk all day long. I want to stay a fan of some of those people on the track so not reading their inane posts might help.
8-)

I follow a whole bunch of athletes, and I've found the same thing. A lot of them tweet many times a day, telling the world what they're having for lunch, with whom they're going to dinner or a party, and lots of other petty details of their life about which I couldn't care less. But I don't dislike them because of this. They are young people, chatting with their friends in a medium that many of them use for that kind of interchange these days. Yes, some of their posts are inane. And some of them are imperfect in matters of spelling and grammar. So what? Is any of that a reason not to stay a fan? Not to me.

As for the Jesus talk, it's interesting to see which athletes go out of their way to retweet bible quotes, thank Jesus for all sorts of things, and otherwise share their religious beliefs. Some Olympic champions and medalists do that. It's part of their lives, and in some cases probably a part of their success.
tandfman

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:17 am

slowjo wrote:I check out twitter about once a week and rarely tweet anything (who cares what I had for lunch..okay Squackee does but besides him?) .

I did eliminate about 90% of the track athletes I followed because their narcissitic tweets made me start to really dislike them. Also eliminated those who post Jesus talk all day long. I want to stay a fan of some of those people on the track so not reading their inane posts might help.
8-)

I have never done twitter, and can see I haven't missed anything.

Jesus talk all day?....ugh.
Some of these people have got to be incredibly boring to be around.
Last edited by Conor Dary on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 am

gh wrote:
tandfman wrote:... But the picture of him in a wheelchair might have given her a clue.....

Have you actually looked at his picture? Like so many Twitter handles it's an unrecognizable blob, and even if you double-click it, it's not readily apparent what's up.

I assumed that the reporter who wrote that story had looked at it. Writing such a story without looking at it would be irresponsible.

gh wrote:Merely confirming the sorry state of modern journalism. Make that "journalism"

Yup!
tandfman

Postby decafan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:20 am

Conor Dary wrote:
slowjo wrote:I check out twitter about once a week and rarely tweet anything (who cares what I had for lunch..okay Squackee does but besides him?) .

8-)

Just once I would like to hear an athlete say some version of this after a loss:

REPORTER: So what happened out there today?
ATHLETE: Beats me. I did everything right. This one is on Jesus- talk to him.
decafan

Postby Fortis4Eva » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 am

decafan wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:

8-)

Just once I would like to hear an athlete say some version of this after a loss:

REPORTER: So what happened out there today?
ATHLETE: Beats me. I did everything right. This one is on Jesus- talk to him.

Maybe Tyson Gay after the men's 100m in London
"I tried man. I tried my best. I just came up short."
Fortis4Eva

Postby guru » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 am

gh wrote:
guru wrote:Currently, there are 46 news agencies running this story(via Google search). My guess would be none of them are motivated by being "Lolo haters"....

Merely confirming the sorry state of modern journalism. Make that "journalism"

Now on front page of ESPN.com, and overall count up to 122 news outlets
guru

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:31 am

People who did/do not like Lol will jump all over this..those who do not even know who she is will be swayed by the missleading headline which was obviously intended to arouse ire whether the "journalist" knew her or not.

This was her characteristically flippant reply to an anonymous interenet "stalker" with no malice intended.
Lolo apologized, LeGrande understood the mistake and accepted her apology.

No story here..except as an example of the fallacy of the cliche that "there is no such thing as bad publicity."
lonewolf

Postby Dutra5 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:52 am

The only issue...if it even is one....that I would have is, based on what I've read about it, Lolo tweeted something regarding that she was now going to get buried for this before she issued the apology. With that said...I find a LOT of young people self centered enough to not find this surprising.
Dutra5

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:53 am

guru wrote:Now on front page of ESPN.com, and overall count up to 122 news outlets

Schadenfreude doesn't become you guru.
jazzcyclist

Postby slowjo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:01 pm

I do not expect pithy comments and wisdom on Twitter! What I get tired of is say Sanya RR retweeting every nice thing tweeted to her, making sure everyne knows how rich she is etc. I guess I believe that is unbecoming to praise yourself and to talk about how much you have. It is unseemly to me.

Then there are the athletes who complain about the smallest thing-people who are among the most privileged on earth.

I like tweets that are funny, informative and interesting-they are out there!

People can tweet about Jesus all day-I just said I get sick of it so I drop them. If they inpsire others, fine.
slowjo

Postby marknhj » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:51 pm

[quote="lonewolf"
Lolo apologized, [quote]

Actually, she immediately played the victim card and still is. A wise man once advised me to avoid victims at all costs and in my experience he was absolutely correct.

When she became unbearable prior to the Olympics I deleted her, as I did with a jumping group who kept posting jesus tweets. However, I find twitter to be a fabulously efficient source for the latest news, articles, sports scores, links to a plethora of otherwise unknown-to-me outlets of information, and a very fun way to see inside people. If you are select in who you follow, it's a fantastic medium.
marknhj

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:51 pm

I don't understand why anyone who follow anyone on twitter or anywhere for that matter. Maybe Warren Buffett, but any of these track people? What a bunch of bores. If Pre had been twittering and I was following it daily I probably would have been sick of him too.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby marknhj » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Conor Dary wrote:I don't understand why anyone who follow anyone on twitter or anywhere for that matter. Maybe Warren Buffett, but any of these track people? What a bunch of bores. If Pre had been twittering and I was following it daily I probably would have been sick of him too.

Yet you appear to spend all day, everyday, on this board. Do you agree that many people wouldn't understand that?
marknhj

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Conor Dary wrote:I don't understand why anyone who follow anyone on twitter or anywhere for that matter. Maybe Warren Buffett, but any of these track people? What a bunch of bores. If Pre had been twittering and I was following it daily I probably would have been sick of him too.

I feel the same way you do. The people who I would be interested in aren't the types to waste time twittering. I suppose it might be interesting to see what they're saying during a global championship meet, but after the meet was over I would have no interest in hearing what they have to say.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 pm

marknhj wrote:

Yet you appear to spend all day, everyday, on this board. Do you agree that many people wouldn't understand that?

What's so unusual about a track nut posting on a message board with other track nuts about track and field?
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:25 pm

marknhj wrote:

All day? I check in now and then during the day while doing other things. And besides folks here aren't telling me Jesus stories or how much money they make or what they had for lunch, which sounds what twitter is about.

And besides people write, at least the ones I bother to read, using capital letters, in complete sentences. Even paragraphs!

I consider my experience here a mini blog. Commenting on interesting ideas. Primarily because there are, for the most part, interesting commentators here, including yourself. It is similar to an interesting conversation with worthwhile people.

If twitter is like that, than there you go..but it doesn't sound like it. Sounds more like getting harassing phone calls...hey look at me... :lol:
Conor Dary

Postby marknhj » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Conor Dary wrote: If twitter is like that, than there you go..but it doesn't sound like it. Sounds more like getting harassing phone calls...hey look at me... :lol:

So you mean you're being critical and judgmental about something you have little experience with?
marknhj

Postby marknhj » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:02 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
marknhj wrote:

What's so unusual about a track nut posting on a message board with other track nuts about track and field?

You missed my point.
marknhj

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:58 pm

marknhj wrote:
Conor Dary wrote: If twitter is like that, than there you go..but it doesn't sound like it. Sounds more like getting harassing phone calls...hey look at me... :lol:

So you mean you're being critical and judgmental about something you have little experience with?

Me, judgmental? Actually I am not, in this case. In fact it is something I just never think about. I know people use it, but what time I do spend on the internet seems more than enough.

but if u mean i don't want to read all no caps and abbreviations...well, yea...LOL
Conor Dary

Postby j-a-m » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Conor Dary wrote:I don't understand why anyone who follow anyone on twitter or anywhere for that matter.

Twitter's become relevant enough that it makes sense for journalists to follow the athletes whose sport they cover.
j-a-m

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:39 am

j-a-m wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I don't understand why anyone who follow anyone on twitter or anywhere for that matter.

Twitter's become relevant enough that it makes sense for journalists to follow the athletes whose sport they cover.

Yes, I could see it for professional reasons.
Conor Dary

Postby aaronk » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:49 am

lonewolf wrote:People who did/do not like Lol will jump all over this..those who do not even know who she is will be swayed by the missleading headline which was obviously intended to arouse ire whether the "journalist" knew her or not.

This was her characteristically flippant reply to an anonymous interenet "stalker" with no malice intended.
Lolo apologized, LeGrande understood the mistake and accepted her apology.

No story here..except as an example of the fallacy of the cliche that "there is no such thing as bad publicity."

I agree 100%!!

No story here, except for the "Bash Lolo" crowd!!

And I ain't one of THEM!!!
aaronk

Postby guru » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:56 am

aaronk wrote:
No story here, except for the "Bash Lolo" crowd!!

And I ain't one of THEM!!!

C'mon in - the water's warm :P
guru

Postby jjk4ever » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:40 am

I'm a huge supporter of women's sports but something I have notice both from athletes and journalists covering them that many seem to expect the coverage to always be positive and helping to "build the sport". For example Serena Williams bristled at a question at the USO saying they "the questioner" should be building her up not being negative. Agree with the earlier post that the true sports journalist shouldnt be selling the sport or the athlete.

Its been said that the most loving thing you can be with a person is honest. I think the same applies to sports and sports coverage.
jjk4ever

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:44 am

jjk4ever wrote:Its been said that the most loving thing you can be with a person is honest. I think the same applies to sports and sports coverage.

Sport is de facto JUST FOR FUN, so what's the point of harsh criticism?
Every time I watch a group of talking heads on ESPN going at it, I have to laugh! Dudes, it's just a game. WHY SO SERIOUS?!
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 am

Marlow wrote:Dudes, it's just a game. WHY SO SERIOUS?!

It's a multibillion dollar industry too.
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 am

Marlow wrote:
jjk4ever wrote:Its been said that the most loving thing you can be with a person is honest. I think the same applies to sports and sports coverage.

Sport is de facto JUST FOR FUN, so what's the point of harsh criticism?
Every time I watch a group of talking heads on ESPN going at it, I have to laugh! Dudes, it's just a game. WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Basically because most sports writers are complete idiots outside of their domain, and even there a lot of them are challenged. And the more famous they are the more vacuous they come. Especially the general sports writer.
Conor Dary

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:38 am

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:Dudes, it's just a game. WHY SO SERIOUS?!

It's a multibillion dollar industry too.

Yes, but that's the business side of it, not the 'playing' side (of course the two are inter-related, but a game is still a game). Criticizing athletes and coaches for what they should or should not have done is (99% of the time) not at all business-related; it's just ego-involvement as to the outcome! The ESPN talking heads act as if what they are saying has some actual relevance to something IMPORTANT, but it most decidedly does NOT (other than our emotional investment).

Conor Dary wrote:Basically because most sports writers are complete idiots

I'm unable to refute that statement . . . :wink:
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:19 am

Marlow wrote:Criticizing athletes and coaches for what they should or should not have done is (99% of the time) not at all business-related

Tell that to the bookies. :wink:
Daisy

Postby br » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:35 am

Lolo going to be on the Katie Couric show today on ABC. Check your local listings.
br

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:01 am

br wrote:Lolo going to be on the Katie Couric show today on ABC. Check your local listings.

I'd rather watch reruns of last week's weather on the Weather Channel than that...ugh.
Conor Dary

Postby sprintzfan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks br, I'll try to check it out.
sprintzfan

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 am

Conor Dary wrote:
br wrote:Lolo going to be on the Katie Couric show today on ABC. Check your local listings.

I'd rather watch reruns of last week's weather on the Weather Channel than that...ugh.

I appreciate br's post for those track fans who are into that sort of stuff, but I pretty much feel the same way you do and I'm a Lolo fan. However, I would feel the same way if Couric was interviewing Usain Bolt. There are very few athletes who I find interesting enough to make me want to sit down and watch someone like Couric do a softball interview. The only reason why I was interested in the Oprah-Marion Jones interview was because I knew they were going to talk about drugs. I wish Gabe Jennings had become a middle distance superstar because his interviews were must-see TV.
jazzcyclist

Postby sprintzfan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:38 am

"Softball" interviews of people who hold no place of power, responsibiity or authority in society don't bother me jazz. I say this assuming that I'm interpreting your use of the term "softball" correctly.

I like lots of serious things. But I like trivial, fun things too.

Athletes and their personalities (everyone has a personality of course, even if it's a boring personality) for the most part just constitute fun for me. Fall into my category of "guilty pleasure", curiosity stuff.

Rightly or wrongly I never feel like I am compromising or short changing my more serious or "intellectual" side, by indulging in trivial stuff like paying attention to what some athletes say and do away from the playing surface.

I know very few truly successful or highly intelligent people, who don't have for themselves a few guilty pleasures.
sprintzfan

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Sprintzfan don't get me wrong. If I'm flipping channels and stumble across a softball interview of an athlete who I like, I'll watch it, but it's not must-see TV for me. I DVR HBO's Real Sports every month and I always watch the hard pieces (investigative news stories) and skip past the fluff pieces (profiles of successful sports figures).
jazzcyclist

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 pm

I get you jazz. Totally understand what you're saying about watching that kind of programming.

Hey, I did get to see Lo Lo on Couric. All I can say is that Lo Lo really doesn't have a clue. She comes across to me as TOTALLY sheltered and basically completely ignorant of the world in which she lives. I really do wonder, if she ever even watches the news. Seriously. I'm not saying that to be funny. She really does strike me as one of those folks, who couldn't even tell you who is running for President right now. A person who just doesn't follow news events, and other "serious" stuff. Non-entertainment, non-sports stuff. I get no indications from her, that she has so much as a clue, as to why various people have been crtical of her and her career.

She has totally personalized it. Like she is some high school athlete being "hated on" by cheerleaders or something. She doesn't seem to me to have a clue about the history of the country. Femimism. Sexism. Colorism. Or anything else. To her this isn't about any longstanding issues at all. It is just people being mean to her.

I know what I'm saying about her sounds harsh, but I swear I don't mean it that way. I think I feel more sorry for her being so ill prepared for the celebrity she currently enjoys, than I am angry or disgusted with her for being so naive and uninformed about serious issues in our society. And various historical struggles.

Now who I do have disdain for after watching that show is Katie. :x

I thought the way Katie handled the matter was shameful. Katie is old enough, and worldly enough, to understand some of the Lo Lo controversy, even if she doesn't agree with it. But instead of trying to help make sense of some of it for Lo Lo, she just fed into Lo Lo's "poor me", victim mentality about this entire thing.

That's my take on the show. Take Care. :)
sprintzfan

Postby guru » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 am

Jones derides Michigan QB Denard Robinson, stating on ESPN's Gameday Saturday that he couldn't beat her in a race(much less Usain Bolt).

http://www.nesn.com/2012/11/lolo-jones- ... video.html

Robinson's PR is 10.44...
guru

PreviousNext