Drake Relays

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Drake Relays

Postby Daisy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:21 am

I heard a rumor that the Jamaicans may have the Drake Relays in their schedule for next year? Has anyone else heard of this?
Daisy

Re: Drake Relays

Postby Halfmiler2 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Not for high school competition. Drake allows only in-state competition because that is what the high school coaches of Iowa want.
Halfmiler2

Postby Daisy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Not the high schoolers but the world class ones.
Daisy

Postby Blues » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:34 pm

If it's true, there sure will be a lot of disappointed Jamaican fans (and a lot of disappointed non-Jamaican fans like me) that attend the Penn Relays, unless Jamaica splits their elite teams and sends half to each meet. That would still lead to some disappointment though, since the field at Penn would obviously be diluted, assuming that both meets continue to be on the same weekend as usual, and assuming that the elite relays occur on Saturday at Drake like they do at Penn.
Blues

Postby az2004 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:59 am

des moines isn't ready for 25000 jamaicams

if usa vs world includes drake, i could see that, there are more than enough jamaicans to fill relays slots at drake and penn

the hs angle at penn needs not be overlooked

the jamaicans hs champs is done and they will usally be the faves

checkout the next jamaican stud

i thik kansas state picked upa 45 400 meter hs jamaican from their trip last year
az2004

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 am

az2004 wrote:des moines isn't ready for 25000 jamaicams

I doubt if there would be anywhere near the Jamaican presence at Drake as there is at Penn. Many of the Penn Jamaicans are currently living in Philadelphia or within 150 miles of Philadelphia (including New York and Washington). They would not be likely to be interested in traveling to Des Moines, even if there were room for them, which there is not.
tandfman

Postby fourjz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 pm

tandfman wrote:
az2004 wrote:des moines isn't ready for 25000 jamaicams

I doubt if there would be anywhere near the Jamaican presence at Drake as there is at Penn. Many of the Penn Jamaicans are currently living in Philadelphia or within 150 miles of Philadelphia (including New York and Washington). They would not be likely to be interested in traveling to Des Moines, even if there were room for them, which there is not.

Des Moines can't handle 250 Jamaicans.ha ha! :lol:
fourjz

Postby dwandy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Its about time another option is on the table. I would definitely support. There are plenty Jamaicans in close proximity to Des Moines than Philly and would showup with their usaly zest in support of team Jamaica like they always do regardless of locafion.
dwandy

Postby harvtrack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:39 pm

With the Big-12 meet scheduled for the week after Drake and Penn will those schools involved in either of those meets choose to stay home? Seems like Drake will be hurt more than Penn. Certainly not good news for either meet.
harvtrack

Postby Blues » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:07 pm

harvtrack wrote:With the Big-12 meet scheduled for the week after Drake and Penn will those schools involved in either of those meets choose to stay home? Seems like Drake will be hurt more than Penn. Certainly not good news for either meet.

Rats... Penn is definitely losing Texas Tech and TCU this year according to the schools' 2012-2013 track and field schedules, and most likely Texas too, although the spring schedule for UT doesn't seem to be posted yet, as is the case with a few other Big 12 schools.. (Last year the Longhorns men attended Penn while the women competed at Drake.) Finally there's a reason for me to be glad that Texas A&M moved to the SEC, since Penn won't be losing the Aggies.. :wink:

Drake is no longer listed on Baylor's schedule for 2013, and Kansas didn't compete at either relays last year and isn't scheduled to in 2013. I guess the other Big 12 schools will probably follow suit and skip traveling to the relays meets the weekend before Big 12 Outdoors as well.
Blues

Postby j-a-m » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 am

harvtrack wrote:With the Big-12 meet scheduled for the week after Drake and Penn will those schools involved in either of those meets choose to stay home? Seems like Drake will be hurt more than Penn. Certainly not good news for either meet.

Anyone know why 2013 Big 12s are scheduled a week earlier than this year?
j-a-m

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 am

When is the Regional meet? Teams often want enough of a break between the meets and they might have moved it to get more time or the Regional is earlier. On the other hand, it can get pretty warm in some parts of the Big 12 and that might be part of the reason. Some other 'warm' leagues are early also.
26mi235

Postby Halfmiler2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:28 am

It could also be an issue of when Final Exams are scheduled at a majority if Big 12 schools. Or it could be a sceduking issue for the host site.

In the east, the IC4A/ECAC meet is now always two weeks before the NCAA regional meets. Depending on how the calendar falls in a particular year, there are two or three open weekends between Penn and the IC4A/ECAC meet. Those are the weekends available for league meets such as the Big East, Atlantic 10, and Heptagonals (Ivy League), etc. - except for the ACC which has their league meet in April with the warmer weather further south. In a perfect world, I am sure every coach would like the schedule to have two weeks between big meets throughout the season. But we are not in a perfect world.

If the Big 12 problem continues long-term, I wonder if Drake would consider moving a week earlier? The Big 12 matters a lot to the meet, but a change could only happen if the Drake alumni weekend would also change since alumni are a big part of their subscription base. Drake and Penn may, however, both be better off on the same weekend since they both already operate near capacity in the entries they can handle.
Last edited by Halfmiler2 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halfmiler2

Postby gh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:31 am

Regionals are May 24-25.

By definition these days they are two weekends before the NCAA.

Similarly, Conference meets have to be over two weeks before that. (so for most schools it's a month that consists of Conference/off/Regionals/off/NCAA)
gh

Postby Blues » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:23 am

Halfmiler2 wrote:It could also be an issue of when Final Exams are scheduled at a majority if Big 12 schools. Or it could be a sceduking issue for the host site.

In the east, the IC4A/ECAC meet is now always two weeks before the NCAA regional meets. Depending on how the calendar falls in a particular year, there are two or three open weekends between Penn and the IC4A/ECAC meet. Those are the weekends available for league meets such as the Big East, Atlantic 10, and Heptagonals (Ivy League), etc. - except for the ACC which has their league meet in April with the warmer weather further south. In a perfect world, I am sure every coach would like the schedule to have two weeks between big meets throughout the season. But we are not in a perfect world.

If the Big 12 problem continues long-term, I wonder if Drake would consider moving a week earlier? The Big 12 matters a lot to the meet, but a change could only happen if the Drake alumni weekend would also change since alumni are a big part of their subscription base. Drake and Penn may, however, both be better off on the same weekend since they both already operate near capacity in the entries they can handle.

Most of the Big 12 schools do have their finals the following week, but concomitant finals for some schools haven't always caused a change in the meet schedule previously... If that's the reason I guess it's a good cause though... The last time the Big 12 meet caused teams, including Texas, to skip Penn was in 2004, when the Big 12 meet for whatever reason was also scheduled for the week after Penn rather than 2 weeks after.. I guess there's also a chance that Baylor, the host site in 2013, had a say in the scheduling as was mentioned previously, and Baylor's finals start on Wednesday following the 2013 Big 12's and include finals on the following Saturday. Don't know whether that has anything to do with the choice of dates or not...
Blues

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 am

As I recall, Big 12 has had a Fri-Sat-Sun conference meet to accomodate Missouri's finals schedule..dunno if MU gone will change that.
lonewolf

Postby j-a-m » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:45 am

lonewolf wrote:As I recall, Big 12 has had a Fri-Sat-Sun conference meet to accomodate Missouri's finals schedule..dunno if MU gone will change that.

It's scheduled May 3-5, which is Fri-Sun again, so that part hasn't changed.
j-a-m

Postby j-a-m » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:46 am

Blues wrote: Drake is no longer listed on Baylor's schedule for 2013, and Kansas didn't compete at either relays last year and isn't scheduled to in 2013. I guess the other Big 12 schools will probably follow suit and skip traveling to the relays meets the weekend before Big 12 Outdoors as well.

Yeah, according to the Baylor website, "For only the second time since 1990, Baylor will miss the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa by taking an open weekend on April 27 to prepare to host the conference’s championships, May 3-5."
j-a-m

Postby j-a-m » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:50 am

gh wrote:Regionals are May 24-25.

By definition these days they are two weekends before the NCAA.

Similarly, Conference meets have to be over two weeks before that. (so for most schools it's a month that consists of Conference/off/Regionals/off/NCAA)

And Big 12s used to be two weeks before Regionals, now they're three weeks before (May 3-5). That essentially extends the period during which student athletes have to peak by one week; and that which seems to make it more difficult for them, doesn't it?
j-a-m