Brave New World is here

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Brave New World is here

Postby Pego » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:29 am

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:and we're overdue a mag pole flip! :shock:
The loss of the magnetic field on Mars billions of years ago put paid to life on the planet if there ever was any, scientists say.

Oh dear . . .

One problem with that statement. There is no correlation with extinction events and magnetic flips that I am aware of.

I love the phrase "scientists say." :evil:
Pego

Postby bambam » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 am

Pego wrote:You are lucky. Lonewolf, tandfman and I still love you.

I never loved Marlow. I like him. But I never loved him.
bambam

Postby bambam » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:15 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:You are lucky. Lonewolf, tandfman and I still love you.

"So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." - Carl Spackler (and me)

:D

The full soliloquoy which I keep in my pocket of my white coat at work, to look at on bad days, to cheer me up:

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a 10,000 foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga. So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I also keep this one from Seinfeld to cheer me up on bad days, from George Costanza and marine biologist episode:

The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli. I got about 50 feet out, and suddenly, the great beast appeared before me. I tell ya’, he was 10 stories high if he was a foot. As if sensing my presence, he let out a great bellow. I said, “Easy, big fella!” And then, as I watched him struggling, I realized something was obstructing his breathing. From where I was standing I could see directly into the eye of the great fish.
bambam

Postby bambam » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:17 am

Marlow wrote:"So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." - Carl Spackler (and me)

A little basketball trivia about this quote. Jay Bilas, former Duke basketball player, and ESPN analyst, told me when he was playing and being interviewed after games, he always threw this quote into whatever he said at some point, trying to get it published. He said it never worked.
bambam

Previous