Joannie!

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Joannie!

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:37 am

One of my all-time favorite athletes is Joannie Benoit! (who DOESN'T love her?!)
I enjoyed the home-page-linked article. A few excerpts:

Q. reasons you run?
A. It's just part of who I am. It wakes me up and makes me feel good and become more productive and more focused after I run. And it gets me outdoors where I love to be. It wakes up all of my senses and makes me feel refreshed.

Q. Are there still times when you replay in your mind the Olympic marathon?
A. I oftentimes think how my life would have been different if that hadn't happened, but it's given me many opportunities to stay with what makes me the happiest and engaged in a way that I think helps others realize their dreams and recognize the importance of staying physically fit throughout one's lifetime.

Q. In the Olympic marathon you took off early and I wondered whether that was planned or whether it just happened? Was that your strategy?
A. I never have a strategy. I just run the way I feel and I was boxed-in in the pack and wasn't running very efficiently. I've always maintained that you have to run your own race.

I love you, Joannie!!!
Marlow

Re: Joannie!

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:05 pm

We have all seen "special moments" in T&F, on television or in person, but for me, it is hard to beat Joanie entering the Coliseum in 1984. And many times when I'm out running towards a finish line in some silly road or trail race, that's the image I put in my brain to emulate.
dukehjsteve