Two Jamaican Athletes test positive [old story resolved]


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Two Jamaican Athletes test positive [old story resolved]

Postby Fortis4Eva » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:00 pm

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=40294
Two Jamaican athletes have been tested positive for banned substances.

They are: Dominique Blake and Ricardo Cunningham, an 800m runner.

Cunningham was tested positive for the substance pseudoephedrine.

It was not immediately clear for what substance Blake tested positive.

Blake went to the Olympics as part of the 4X400m relay team but did not run.

Cunningham however did not qualify to go to the Olympics.
Fortis4Eva
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:26 am
Location: Atlanta by way of Kingston Jamaica

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby shivfan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:54 am

Dominique Blake...wasn't her father that Mr Blake who was supposedly involved with a certain Posse that allegedly was involved in a different type of drug trade?

According to this, it's her second violation:

http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/sports/2-j ... substances
shivfan
 
Posts: 2591
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:10 am

On the "Things Not T&F" forum, there's a Tyler Hamilton thread started by bambam that I would recommend which gives some insight on how athletes stay ahead of the drug testers, and the consensus is that modern-day drug tests are really de facto IQ tests, because sophisticated dopers do their own in-house testing and only the stupid get caught nowadays.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby Fortis4Eva » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:11 am

shivfan wrote:Dominique Blake...wasn't her father that Mr Blake who was supposedly involved with a certain Posse that allegedly was involved in a different type of drug trade?

According to this, it's her second violation:

http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/sports/2-j ... substances

Yes this is her second violation and yes her father is/was that Mr Blake ...... so she's looking at a life ban and the other athlete a possible 2 yr ban.
Fortis4Eva
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:26 am
Location: Atlanta by way of Kingston Jamaica

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby shivfan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:28 am

I see it's more than "supposedly" and "allegedly", since Mr Blake was convicted....

More on the Blake family here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/world ... blake.html
shivfan
 
Posts: 2591
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby Pego » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 am

Fortis4Eva wrote:
shivfan wrote:Dominique Blake...wasn't her father that Mr Blake who was supposedly involved with a certain Posse that allegedly was involved in a different type of drug trade?

According to this, it's her second violation:

http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/sports/2-j ... substances

Yes this is her second violation and yes her father is/was that Mr Blake ...... so she's looking at a life ban and the other athlete a possible 2 yr ban.


2 years for pseudoephedrine :shock: ?
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby Blues » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:43 am

Pego wrote:
Fortis4Eva wrote:
shivfan wrote:Dominique Blake...wasn't her father that Mr Blake who was supposedly involved with a certain Posse that allegedly was involved in a different type of drug trade?

According to this, it's her second violation:

http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/sports/2-j ... substances

Yes this is her second violation and yes her father is/was that Mr Blake ...... so she's looking at a life ban and the other athlete a possible 2 yr ban.


2 years for pseudoephedrine :shock: ?


Well, it's UP to 2 years, but my guess is that it'll be more like 6 months or less... I read he tested "marginally higher" than the allowable levels of pseudoephedrine that would occur from the recommended medical dosages of the popular nasal decongestant...

I think Dominique Blake's worst case scenario may also seem like overkill to some people, at least to those who feel that the penalties for stimulants may be excessive at times... She faces a possible lifetime ban for first testing positive for ephedrine in 2006, and, according to the Jamaica Gleaner, testing positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine this time..
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby j-a-m » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:02 am

Blues wrote: I think Dominique Blake's worst case scenario may also seem like overkill to some people, at least to those who feel that the penalties for stimulants may be excessive at times... She faces a possible lifetime ban for first testing positive for ephedrine in 2006, and, according to the Jamaica Gleaner, testing positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine this time..

Yes, it would be a minor infraction resulting in excessive punishment; that also takes credibility away from the fight against doping.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby Blues » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:09 am

I wonder when the Jamaican authorities found out about Dominique Blake testing positive at the Jamaican Senior Championships/Olympic Trials in late June, since she still went to London as a 4x4 alternate in August... I also wonder if the fact that she didn't run in the London 4x4 heats was pure luck and would have happened anyway, or if it was an intentional decision by the Jamaican coaches because they'd been made aware of her positive test result... Had she run in the heats I assume Jamaica's 4x4 bronze would be at risk.
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby toyracer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:01 am

Fortis4Eva wrote:
shivfan wrote:Dominique Blake...wasn't her father that Mr Blake who was supposedly involved with a certain Posse that allegedly was involved in a different type of drug trade?

According to this, it's her second violation:

http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/sports/2-j ... substances

Yes this is her second violation and yes her father is/was that Mr Blake ...... so she's looking at a life ban and the other athlete a possible 2 yr ban.


The other athlete Cunningham apparently declared the medication he was taking on the relevant form (T.U.E.). Supposedly the only reason that this has registered as an A.A.F. is because the level was found to be just over the expected maximum (ie he took a slightly higher dosage, 2.5 Tbsp instead of 2) for pseudoephedrine and JADCO is being careful and following procedure. I've heard that the expectation is a public warning, since the medication was declared before competition.
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby toyracer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:10 am

Blues wrote:I wonder when the Jamaican authorities found out about Dominique Blake testing positive at the Jamaican Senior Championships/Olympic Trials in late June, since she still went to London as a 4x4 alternate in August... I also wonder if the fact that she didn't run in the London 4x4 heats was pure luck and would have happened anyway, or if it was an intentional decision by the Jamaican coaches because they'd been made aware of her positive test result... Had she run in the heats I assume Jamaica's 4x4 bronze would be at risk.


Jamaica's bronze would have been at risk had she run.

Interestingly, she has a bronze medal even though she didn't run. For whatever reason, LOCOG gave all six medals to the team after they finished third, and the team members that ran gave Blake the sixth medal because she was in the relay pool and had been upset about not being allowed to run in the semi-final. On her official website there is a picture of her biting the medal.

I've read conflicting reports about the substance that triggered her A.A.F. but either one is enough for a ban period which means that she is looking at a lifetime ban having served nine months for an A.A.F. six years ago.
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby Pego » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 am

Blues wrote:She faces a possible lifetime ban for first testing positive for ephedrine in 2006, and, according to the Jamaica Gleaner, testing positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine


This is equivalent to hanging a serf for stealing a loaf of bread. Welcome to Middle Ages.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 pm

toyracer wrote:Interestingly, she has a bronze medal even though she didn't run. For whatever reason, LOCOG gave all six medals to the team after they finished third, and the team members that ran gave Blake the sixth medal because she was in the relay pool and had been upset about not being allowed to run in the semi-final. On her official website there is a picture of her biting the medal.

If the Jamaican team received six medals, that would had to have been the result of a clerical error or misunderstanding on someone's part. Since they ran only five different runner (one sub in the final), they should have received only five medals--the four presented to the finalists on the podium, plus one for the woman who ran the semi but not the final.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby toyracer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 pm

tandfman wrote:
toyracer wrote:Interestingly, she has a bronze medal even though she didn't run. For whatever reason, LOCOG gave all six medals to the team after they finished third, and the team members that ran gave Blake the sixth medal because she was in the relay pool and had been upset about not being allowed to run in the semi-final. On her official website there is a picture of her biting the medal.

If the Jamaican team received six medals, that would had to have been the result of a clerical error or misunderstanding on someone's part. Since they ran only five different runner (one sub in the final), they should have received only five medals--the four presented to the finalists on the podium, plus one for the woman who ran the semi but not the final.


Agreed. But the fact remains that they did receive six from LOCOG and the five who actually ran in the relays gave the sixth medal to Blake.

http://www.dominiqueblake.com/
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 pm

toyracer wrote:
tandfman wrote:
toyracer wrote:But the fact remains that they did receive six from LOCOG and the five who actually ran in the relays gave the sixth medal to Blake.

http://www.dominiqueblake.com/

That may be. But the fact remains that she is no more a bronze medalist than I would be if I bought a bronze medal from some athlete who was selling it on eBay.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby gh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 pm

what's the over-under on her biting the medal again at the Penn State ceremony?
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby toyracer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:48 am

tandfman wrote:
toyracer wrote:
tandfman wrote:
toyracer wrote:But the fact remains that they did receive six from LOCOG and the five who actually ran in the relays gave the sixth medal to Blake.

http://www.dominiqueblake.com/

That may be. But the fact remains that she is no more a bronze medalist than I would be if I bought a bronze medal from some athlete who was selling it on eBay.


Again, agreed. Officially she isn't listed as one anywhere credible (probably only on her own website).
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby Blues » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:38 am

Pego wrote:
Blues wrote:She faces a possible lifetime ban for first testing positive for ephedrine in 2006, and, according to the Jamaica Gleaner, testing positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine


This is equivalent to hanging a serf for stealing a loaf of bread. Welcome to Middle Ages.


I could be wrong, but I think the chances are pretty good that she won't end up with a lifetime ban... IAAF's rules for second offense penalties are tiered, as shown if we scroll to page 77 in the link below... I don't know if her 9 month ephedrine penalty in 2006 fell under the category of "Reduced Sanction" or of "No Significant Fault", but there's still room for a significantly more lenient sanction than a lifetime ban, depending on what the facts behind her most recent positive test turn out to be.. And even if neither of her offenses were/are deemed to be worthy of reduced santions by the involved authorities, the penalty for a second offense can still be as little as an 8 year ban, although 8 years would still probably end most elite athletes' careers..

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/06/28/8 ... nglish.pdf
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby Blues » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 am

toyracer wrote:
That may be. But the fact remains that she is no more a bronze medalist than I would be if I bought a bronze medal from some athlete who was selling it on eBay.


Again, agreed. Officially she isn't listed as one anywhere credible (probably only on her own website).


Surely you're not questioning Penn State's credibility.... :wink:

"Blake, a member of Penn State's NCAA Champion 4x400 in 2008, also had a successful London experience, earning a bronze medal as a member of Jamaica's 4x400 relay pool."

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/c-tra ... 12aaa.html

EDIT- I just noticed that tandfman already mentioned this yesterday regarding Penn State in the Things Not T&F thread, but I'll keep it in this thread too since it's relevant to the previous discussion.
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:21 am

tandfman wrote:
toyracer wrote:
tandfman wrote:
toyracer wrote:But the fact remains that they did receive six from LOCOG and the five who actually ran in the relays gave the sixth medal to Blake.

http://www.dominiqueblake.com/

That may be. But the fact remains that she is no more a bronze medalist than I would be if I bought a bronze medal from some athlete who was selling it on eBay.


Hey, there is one on sale now! Of course I was only 2 when it was awarded, so I don't think anyone will believe me, but what the hey...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPIC-WINNER- ... 1c1cee8a00
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Blues wrote:
"Blake, a member of Penn State's NCAA Champion 4x400 in 2008, also had a successful London experience, earning a bronze medal as a member of Jamaica's 4x400 relay pool."



There is always: "...he also serves who only stands and waits.." However, in this case her standing and waiting (being available) would not have availed them.

However, for two relatively minor infractions she might get an overly large penalty.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby Blues » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 am

Here's a related story from the Jamaica Gleaner... It may be nothing, but it'll be interesting to see if any changes in JADCO come from WADA's visit.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2012 ... sure4.html
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby guru » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:35 am

tandfman wrote:
toyracer wrote:Interestingly, she has a bronze medal even though she didn't run. For whatever reason, LOCOG gave all six medals to the team after they finished third, and the team members that ran gave Blake the sixth medal because she was in the relay pool and had been upset about not being allowed to run in the semi-final. On her official website there is a picture of her biting the medal.

If the Jamaican team received six medals, that would had to have been the result of a clerical error or misunderstanding on someone's part. Since they ran only five different runner (one sub in the final), they should have received only five medals--the four presented to the finalists on the podium, plus one for the woman who ran the semi but not the final.



Dee Dee Trotter wound up with a Beijing 4x4 gold without running.

http://instagram.com/p/RIk-rBy7Eh/ (Beijing middle medal)
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby mal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Apparently then you can medal a couple of shot putters in your pool if the first four are fast enough and stay healthy.
mal
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:03 pm

guru wrote: Dee Dee Trotter wound up with a Beijing 4x4 gold without running.

http://instagram.com/p/RIk-rBy7Eh/ (Beijing middle medal)

She may have had them in her hand, but were they hers? It doesn't say that in the instagram thing, her USATF bio doesn't suggest that she won a medal in Beijing, and there's nothing about it on her own website.

That photo was apparently taken at an event where there could have been other medalists there. I think I'll need better evidence than that before I believe she actually received a medal for an event she didn't run (although that apprently did indeed happen with Blake in London).
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby guru » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:23 pm

tandfman wrote:
guru wrote: Dee Dee Trotter wound up with a Beijing 4x4 gold without running.

http://instagram.com/p/RIk-rBy7Eh/ (Beijing middle medal)

She may have had them in her hand, but were they hers? It doesn't say that in the instagram thing, her USATF bio doesn't suggest that she won a medal in Beijing, and there's nothing about it on her own website.



Considering she didnt run, I wouldnt expect her, or USATF, to exactly advertise that she got one. But the fact is the US only ran five in 2008, and it's possible they gave her the sixth medal, if it slipped through the cracks in the same manner as Blake's did this year. It's certainly conceivable since Trotter did check in to run the prelim, and was a last-second scratch.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:36 pm

I suppose anything is possible, but she clearly is not shown in the official results of the prelim. If she did get an medal somehow, it would have been an error, just as Blake's medal was the result of an error. In any event, this is the first I've heard of that,
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby gh » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 pm

See story on front page: Blake gets 6 years! (wonder if IAAF or WADA have ever downgraded a sentence by a federation that went over their normal penalty?)
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive [old story resolved]

Postby shivfan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:57 pm

'Ken Pantry, chairman of the panel, said that after hearing her arguments, the panel "unanimously decided Miss Blake did not satisfy the panel to its comfortable satisfaction that the substance entered her body without an intention to enhance sporting performance." Accordingly, Pantry said, "we decided that the sanction of ineligibility would be six years commencing today." Blake was sixth in the women's 400 in 51.83 seconds at the Jamaican Olympic trials in the meet where she tested positive. She had also competed for her homeland at the Commonwealth Games and last year's World Indoor Championships. Patrick Foster, Blake's attorney, said Blake will probably appeal the ban. "I am not surprised by the sanction that was imposed but I am disappointed," Foster said. "It's clear to me that they didn't take into account crucial issues. I think we had sufficient evidence, to at least, justify a penalty far less than six years." Ricardo Cunningham, an 800m runner who tested positive for the prohibited substance pseudo-ephedrine at last year's Olympic trials, escaped with only a reprimand.'
shivfan
 
Posts: 2591
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive [old story resolved]

Postby toyracer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:15 am

shivfan wrote: Ricardo Cunningham, an 800m runner who tested positive for the prohibited substance pseudo-ephedrine at last year's Olympic trials, escaped with only a reprimand.'


That went as I had posted earlier:

toyracer wrote:The other athlete Cunningham apparently declared the medication he was taking on the relevant form (T.U.E.). Supposedly the only reason that this has registered as an A.A.F. is because the level was found to be just over the expected maximum (ie he took a slightly higher dosage, 2.5 Tbsp instead of 2) for pseudoephedrine and JADCO is being careful and following procedure. I've heard that the expectation is a public warning, since the medication was declared before competition.
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 13 guests