Cabrera close to baseball's Triple Crown

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Cabrera close to baseball's Triple Crown

Postby DrJay » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:22 am

I'm surprised how little attention this has gotten. With only four regular season games remaining, Detroit's Miguel Cabrera leads the AL in batting average and RBIs and yesterday tied Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers (who have five games remaining) for the HR lead. There have been only 13 batting Triple Crowns since 1900, the last by the Yaz in 1967, though he tied with Harmon Killebrew for the HR title:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_triple_crown

Plus, this year there have been three perfect games and a 4 home run game (by Hamilton.)
DrJay

Re: Cabrera close to baseball's Triple Crown

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:38 am

It is getting quite a lot of attention. During the Sox game on Fox, they would cut back to Cabrera every time he came to bat.

The downside with Cabrera is he shares the same name with Mr. Positive. I wonder how many people are confused over the matter?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:52 am

Conor Dary wrote:The downside with Cabrera is he shares the same name with Mr. Positive. I wonder how many people are confused over the matter?

That's not the only down-side . . .
Marlow

Postby j-a-m » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 am

DrJay wrote:I'm surprised how little attention this has gotten.

Several teams still battling for playoff spots; that takes some of the attention away.
j-a-m

Postby j-a-m » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:51 am

Marlow wrote:That's not the only down-side . . .

Don't know what you're referring to; what I do know is that Cabrera's not nearly a lock for MVP, with Trout being that much better in the Wins above Replacement category.
j-a-m

Postby gh » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:00 pm

from the SF Chron's baseball notes column this morning <<-- Carl Yastrzemski, the last man to win a Triple Crown (1967), is following all the hubbab on Miguel Cabrera's Triple Crown pursuit. Times were a bit different in '67. Yaz said he wasn't aware he led all three categories until the day after the season, when he read it in the newspaper.>>
gh

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:06 pm

gh wrote:Times were a bit different in '67. Yaz said he wasn't aware he led all three categories until the day after the season, when he read it in the newspaper.>>

I'm calling BS. I followed baseball back then and EVERYBODY knew he was on track.
Marlow

Postby gh » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:05 pm

no, all the geeks knew he was on track; who thinks baseball players can even read? :twisted:
gh

Postby cullman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Yaz was more concerned with getting the Red Sox to the World Series in 1967. The Sox were in a virtual 3 way tie with the Tigers and Angels for the pennant on the last day.
cullman

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Yaz's Triple Crown had a tiny asterisk; he tied with somebody else in one of the categories, I think it was HR's.

Just checked it myself... Killebrew tied him in HR's.
dukehjsteve

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:51 pm

gh wrote:no, all the geeks knew he was on track; who thinks baseball players can even read? :twisted:

Back in 1967, every red-blooded male was a baseball geek. That probably was the very year when T&F eclipsed baseball in my consciousness. As baseball fell away, the NFL replaced it, and now I'm over that (mostly).
Marlow

Postby gh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:54 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Yaz's Triple Crown had a tiny asterisk; he tied with somebody else in one of the categories, I think it was HR's.

Just checked it myself... Killebrew tied him in HR's.

Unlike track, baseball ( and most other sports?) don't shoot themselves in the foot by diminishing the biggest accomplishments with asterisks (the stupid short-lived Maris decision aside).

They've figured out how to market numbers.

ps--i plead guilty to being part of the gang that has learned how to minimalize apparent T&F numbers, although in the case of Mexico City silliness, I'll do that to my death.
gh

Postby gh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:56 pm

and Cabrera does it!

awesome stuff for a numbers geek! (and the 12 Detroit Tigers fans left :-)
gh

Postby cullman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Pretty amazing considering the focus has been on Mike Trout and Josh Hamilton for most of the season.
cullman

Postby gh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 pm

and how 'bout them A's? first team ever to be 5 games out w/ 9 to go and win. (at least that's what the radio said)
gh

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:31 pm

gh wrote:from the SF Chron's baseball notes column this morning <<-- Carl Yastrzemski, the last man to win a Triple Crown (1967), is following all the hubbab on Miguel Cabrera's Triple Crown pursuit. Times were a bit different in '67. Yaz said he wasn't aware he led all three categories until the day after the season, when he read it in the newspaper.>>

Yaz was also in the middle of a pennant race which, IIRC, went down to the last day of the season. Throw in the fact that he was busy hitting .417 in September and stats were generally only printed in the newspaper...which he may not have read anyway....and it's not hard to believe.
Dutra5

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:33 pm

In Cabrera's situation, baseball fans of the current generation don't look at batting average and RBI's with the same deity those of us a little....um....older do. So the Triple Crown in itself doesn't mean much to them.
Dutra5

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:11 pm

gh wrote:and how 'bout them A's? first team ever to be 5 games out w/ 9 to go and win. (at least that's what the radio said)

The infamous 1964 Phillies were 5 1/2 games in front with 12 to go and blew it. Of course, in those days, there were no wild cards to fall back on.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby cullman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Also it was the second consecutive year that the American League had a Triple Crown winner. Oriole Frank Robinson had one in 1966 after being considered old and washed up by the Cincinnati Reds.
cullman

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Somewhat interesting stats related to the above is that the very next year, Yaz won the batting crown again with a, get ready for this.... .301 ! Lowest winning average in either league in 112 seasons, by a whopping .12, from 1901-2012. That's 224 winners. Related note is in Robinson's triple crown in '66, he batted .316... 3rd lowest average ever. ( Gwynn .313 in "88 2nd lowest. )
dukehjsteve

Postby dj » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Yaz's .301 was in '68, the "Year of the Pitcher." It was the year Bob Gibson had a 1.12 ERA and Denny McLain won 31 games, causing MLB to lower the pitcher's mound the next year.

Not only did Yaz win the triple crown, he also led the AL in hits and runs scored--part of baseball's original offensive triple crown along with batting average, and before home runs and runs batted in had become integral parts of baseball offense.

That five-way title has been achieved only five other times in MLB history. So even after I give you Tip O'Neill in the American Association in 1887, who were the other four (no one has ever done this twice)?
dj

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:29 am

I'll guess Mantle in 1956 for one of them.
dukehjsteve

Postby dj » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:52 am

dukehjsteve wrote:I'll guess Mantle in 1956 for one of them.

Good guess, but no. Harvey Kuenn led the AL with 198 hits in '56.

By the way, I know the answer to the question, but I have to look up the various disqualifiers, like Kuenn.

Another clue: All four guys predate Mantle.
dj

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:57 am

Napolean Lajoie in 1901
Ty Cobb in 1909
Rogers Hornsby in 1922
Joe Medwick in 1937
Dutra5

Postby gh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:48 pm

j-a-m wrote:

Don't know what you're referring to; what I do know is that Cabrera's not nearly a lock for MVP, with Trout being that much better in the Wins above Replacement category.

Not being contentious here, but how many people know about WAR, or care? I often wonder how much the trendy new Sabremetrics numbers have really penetrated the average fan of the game (which is all I can consider myself).
gh

Postby dj » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:48 am

gh wrote:
j-a-m wrote:

Not being contentious here, but how many people know about WAR, or care? I often wonder how much the trendy new Sabremetrics numbers have really penetrated the average fan of the game (which is all I can consider myself).

They've probably penetrated the average fan more than the average voter, as the voters are older than the average fans.
dj