Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:21 am

jhc68 wrote:I keep thinking: Who the hell is Jere Longman? An obscure writer very few people have ever heard of before writing a cheap hatchet job about a high profile athlete? One who trots out an even more obscure "expert" from the University of Western Ontario to support the purely personal opinions that the NYT decided to publish?

Then, too, I keep thinking who are these people who keep posting pathetic mewlings about Lolo's virginity or her intention to cry? What do they know about it and why do they care?

I wouldn't call Longman an obscure writer. He has been with the NYTimes quite a long time.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Mighty Favog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am

If ever there were a time in this sport for the phrase don't hate the playa, hate the game, this is it. Jones has figured out how to make a good living in a sponsor-driven sport, and in my estimation she does it on more than mere physical appearance. (And even if she did, she's obeying the laws of the marketplace--it's going to take a bigger stage than T&F to change those laws.) If there is a criticism to level it's at the 99% of track & field pros who think their only job is to show up and win.

David Oliver is a very good-looking man, knows it and uses it to his advantage, and is in commercials airing during these Olympics despite not making the team. Nobody talks about that.
Mighty Favog

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:00 am

Mighty Favog wrote:

David Oliver is a very good-looking man, knows it and uses it to his advantage, and is in commercials airing during these Olympics despite not making the team. Nobody talks about that.

If only he Tebowed, then LJ would be off the hook.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:34 am

A few observations:

1) The NYT article is what was brought by theToday show's Savannah Guthrie when she interviewed Lolo. The NYT article is what's being talked about on ESPN, national talk radio and major newspapers and news websites across the country. Without the New York Times, this story doesn't have legs and stays at the level of message board and facebook gossip.

2) Though Lolo was hurt by the Kournikova comparison, she probably would not have been offended if someone compared her to Sharipova. However, I think some track fans reject the idea that track even needs a Sharipova, and may have been turned off even if someone as accomplished as Allyson Felix presented herself in the media the way Lolo does. These folks are also turned off by the social media and the way young folks use it these days, while Lolo embraces it. This doesn't bother me.

3) Some folks also feel that Lolo is guilty of TMI, especially with regards to her virginity. These folks were equally turned off when Tebow talked about his virginity. They think its innappropriate to reveal so much about yourself for the whole world to hear, especially with regards to sex.
jazzcyclist

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:36 am

Adriana S wrote:The only thing Lolo can be blamed for is the whole "virginity" thing.

I think if she had kept that one to herself, then the media downfall wouldn't be as harsh.

As a track fan this is where my irritation with the entire situation lies. In my office, no one pays attention to the sport except during Olympic years. The first mention of the sport came shortly after Lolo's virginity comments and this prior to her making the team in the first place. Basically the comments were from the men as you might expect and from the women that it was just a bit TMI.

My issue with the entire episode is that she was presented as one of the faces of the team which I feel was miscast considering the athletes in her own event who were better than she and quite predictable to challenge for a win that Lolo was unlikely to.

The NYT article was meanspirited in my opinion however I thought her wimpering, teary or whatever anyone wants to call it response to it only lent further credence to the article instead of her letting it roll off her back, dismissing it or whatever one wishes to call that.

She ran a great race in the final and she should have simply stated that instead of trying to present her "side" of the story.
Dutra5

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 am

sprintzfan....your enthusiasm is appreciated....for your sake I hope the site does not begin to charge by the word :lol:
Dutra5

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Dutra5, I appreciate your comments and understand where you're coming from and I agree with you about TMI. I wish the media in general, and NBC in particular, hadn't slighted Harper the way they did, as though Lolo had been America's best hurdler over the last couple of years. There were folks that I work with who believed that Lolo was the gold medal favorite, but I set them straight a couple of months ago when the hype started. As for the NYT piece, remember it was Guthrie who brought it up, not Lolo, and she obviously doesn't have thick enough skin to let stuff like that roll off her back, which isn't surprising since she's not a politician or A-list celebrity who is used to dealing with tabloid gossip about themselves.
jazzcyclist

Postby sprintzfan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Dutra5 wrote:sprintzfan....your enthusiasm is appreciated....for your sake I hope the site does not begin to charge by the word :lol:

Yeah, I know. I type too fast and talk too much. :oops: :wink:
sprintzfan

Postby SevenOf Nine » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:01 pm

When you play with fire sometimes you will get burnt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxKKlqoZSBc
SevenOf Nine

Postby Pelpa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:24 pm

SevenOf Nine wrote:When you play with fire sometimes you will get burnt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxKKlqoZSBc

These are all the things I have been trying to say.
Pelpa

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:38 am

The one thing I agree with ios that Lolo needs thicker skin. She's not the first athlete that people hated on. In her interview with Lewis Johnson after her heat, she seemed so discombobulated, it's amazing she was able to get through the race. Carl Lewis was hated on throughout his career, but he never let it affect him. The Williams sisters have also had to deal with haters, of a more insidious variety than that directed at Lolo. Look at Gabby Douglas, there were many people, Black women nonetheless, who were hatin' on her because they didn't like her hair. Ignore the haters Lolo.
jazzcyclist

Postby slowjo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:57 am

Great discussion about Jones on CNN this morning.

Basically they said that Jones expects the US media to be a cheerleader and not reporters. They felt that the NY Times article while harsh was fair-they guy who wrote it has followed and reported on women's sports for over 20 years-and at a time when it was not popular. He has a lot of respect, experience and persepective.

I think they hit the nail on the head-the press is not there to promote brand Jones.
slowjo

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 am

slowjo wrote:Great discussion about Jones on CNN this morning.

Basically they said that Jones expects the US media to be a cheerleader and not reporters. They felt that the NY Times article while harsh was fair-they guy who wrote it has followed and reported on women's sports for over 20 years-and at a time when it was not popular. He has a lot of respect, experience and persepective.

I think they hit the nail on the head-the press is not there to promote brand Jones.

But you've also admitted to a hatred of Jones in the past. Most neutral observers who feel that Jones is fair game also concede that Longman went too far.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:36 am

This use of the word 'hatred' is becoming a broken needle. Who really cares anymore? Fortunately it is over.

That CNN is still on this idiotic story shows more of the level that they have sunk than anything else.
Conor Dary

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:40 am

I just watched CNN piece. Since I'm a longtime Christine Brennan hater, I won't comment on her commentary, but here's the link to the video:

http://reliablesources.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... rip-media/

Also here's the take from the NYT Ombudsman:

The article by Jere Longman appeared under the Olympics-coverage “In the Rings” signature, which The Times uses to signify that the article is a point-of-view piece and not straight news coverage. This means, in The Times’s style, that the writer has some latitude to insert his own perspective.

I have written in the past about problems that arise with this approach, which sometimes translates into too much opinion appearing in the news columns. In this particular case, I think the writer was particularly harsh, even unnecessarily so.

I queried the sports editor about it, and his response was that “One person’s harsh is another person’s tough minded,” and that the writer, “while acknowledging Jones’s accomplishment and qualities of perseverance and candor, thinks this female athlete fell short.”

I believe writers like Jere Longman, who does have a long and worthy track record at The Times, should have some room to express their hard-earned perspective. But this piece struck me as quite harsh and left me, along with others, wondering why the tone was so strong.

http://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... too-harsh/
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:45 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I just watched CNN piece. Since I'm a longtime Christine Brennan hater,

Hate, hate, hate....Everything is so black and white. I never watch CNN because it is all nonsense, Fox lite. Who cares what some moron there says?
Last edited by Conor Dary on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conor Dary

Postby sprintzfan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:46 am

jazzcyclist wrote:The one thing I agree with ios that Lolo needs thicker skin. She's not the first athlete that people hated on. In her interview with Lewis Johnson after her heat, she seemed so discombobulated, it's amazing she was able to get through the race. Carl Lewis was hated on throughout his career, but he never let it affect him. The Williams sisters have also had to deal with haters, of a more insidious variety than that directed at Lolo. Look at Gabby Douglas, there were many people, Black women nonetheless, who were hatin' on her because they didn't like her hair. Ignore the haters Lolo.

GREAT post jazz!!! Really well stated! I concur 1,000%. Not 100, 1,000! :)
sprintzfan

Postby sprintzfan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:52 am

Conor Dary wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:I just watched CNN piece. Since I'm a longtime Christine Brennan hater,

Hate, hate, hate....I never watch CNN because it is all nonsense, Fox lite. Who cares what some moron there says?

Agree with this characterization of CNN btw. Fox lite is nice. MSNBC is "Fox left" imo. But Fox lite is a good one for CNN. I'm gonna steal that one from you CD. :)

But unlike you CD, I still do watch all three networks though. Not a whole lot but some. Because as a bit of a politics junkie I like to keep up on the mood of the electorate. And I do think the 3 cable news channels, and talk radio too, influences how voters think.

But I totally understand why you or anyone else, would totally avoid CNN. It's irks me often times. Didn't years ago. (1990s I guess.) But the past 10 years or so I've lost a lot of respect for them.
sprintzfan

Postby sprintzfan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 am

As for Brennan on "Reliable Sources" this morning, I switched away from the Gold Medal basketball game, (and ALMOST missed LeBron's game sealing three pointer as a result :? ) just to hear her. And I agreed with about 80 or 90% of what she had to say about Lo Lo and this particular controversy.

What I didn't respest is how clearly (clear to me) she was protecting aka refusing to comment candidly on Jere Longman, that author of the NYT article subjet of this thread. She made it clear, that just because he is a colleague and long time friend/associate, she wouldn't be honest condemn his take on Lo Lo as the unnecessarily mean and personal attack it was in many places. I think Brennan would only characterize the story as "tough."

I don't like that kind of personal bias. Particularly for someone who has always come across to me, as a vocal advocate of "women's rights."

Brennan didn't have to totally slam the guy. But she could have been a lot more honest and critical about the tone he took.

She should have had the guts imo, to be more critical of the tone of Longman's piece. The tabloid-like tone.
sprintzfan

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:33 am

Here's ESPN's Israel Gutierrez' take on Sports Reporters this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZJ46jZeyWs
jazzcyclist

Postby slowjo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:46 pm

I do not hate Lolo Jones.

I hate mass murderers, child molesters and loud lawn movers on a Sunday morning.

You sound like you suffer from the same complex she has.

Don't like what someone says so call them haters.I
slowjo

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:52 pm

slowjo wrote:I do not hate Lolo Jones.
I hate mass murderers, child molesters and loud lawn movers on a Sunday morning.

I thought that was a dumb remark by Jazz. When Jazz says mojo hates LJ...you know he has jumped the shark.
Conor Dary

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm only referring what you said about yourself. I don't want a pissing contest with you.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Conor Dary wrote:

I thought that was a dumb remark by Jazz. When Jazz says mojo hates LJ...you know he has jumped the shark.

You don't have the moral authority to talk about "jumping that shark" after some of you Penn State commentary.
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:06 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:

You don't have the moral authority to talk about "jumping that shark" after some of you Penn State commentary.

I still stand by all my Penn State commentary, if you don't mind.

I just thought it was idiotic to say mojo hated LJ. Mojo, one of the sweetest people here.

I once sent a nasty comment her way once, which I apologized for, but still regret.
Conor Dary

Postby slowjo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:29 pm

I have no idea what what comment you made Conor or even the apolgy (and whatever it was no need to dredge it up).

I rarely hold a grudge...life is just too darn short and we all say things we regret.

As for being sweet...well not always! :oops:

But hating an athlete is just beyond my comprehension...tired of, ashamed of (drug cheats -not L Jones!) exasperated by (ones I coach) oh yes!
slowjo

Postby guru » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Jones strikes again, telling quadriplegic former Rutgers football player Eric LeGrande he needs to "get checked for a concussion. clearly u've been hit in the head" to challenge her to a race.

Yikes...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... r/1609691/
guru

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:26 am

Missleading headline.. she had no idea who he was..
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:30 am

lonewolf wrote:Missleading headline.. she had no idea who he was..

I'm sure you're right. But the picture of him in a wheelchair might have given her a clue. Or she could have Googled him.

Bottom line: she surely meant no harm, but she could have been more careful.
tandfman

Postby decafan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:35 am

tandfman wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Missleading headline.. she had no idea who he was..

The picture of him in a wheelchair might have given her a clue. Or she could have Googled him.

Give me a break. No reasonable person would think this. Lolo has over 300k followers and gets random tweets ALL the time. You expect her to research each person? She was clearly joking. She treated him like a normal person having fun talking smack. I have zero problem with this exchange.

You Lolo haters are reaching on this one. This is a non story.
decafan

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:37 am

I am not a Lolo hater.
tandfman

Postby decafan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 am

tandfman wrote:I am not a Lolo hater.

My apologies. You are an unreasonable person with no sense of humor and in lock-step with the Lolo haters on this particular matter. But definitely NOT a Lolo hater.
decafan

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 am

tandfman wrote:she surely meant no harm, but she could have been more careful.

decafan wrote:You are an unreasonable person with no sense of humor

Mmm, his comment seems reasonable to me. I think the difference here is that some people just don't use, or follow twitter. I guess twitter has a culture where her response is within the boundaries of normal?

I have to echo tandfman here, with respect to being 'more careful'. She should realise by now that her tweets will be taken out of context.
Daisy

Postby gh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 am

tandfman wrote:... But the picture of him in a wheelchair might have given her a clue.....

Have you actually looked at his picture? Like so many Twitter handles it's an unrecognizable blob, and even if you double-click it, it's not readily apparent what's up. The day that vetting photos before you respond to a Tweet is the day that whole enterprise goes away.

It's meant (and used) for quick repartee.

I'm not sure what kind of reaction you think a runner is supposed to have to "wanna race me?" Adn in this case, what kind of response was LeGrand looking for?

I think the lolo haters are simply having a field day with an unfortunate chain of events. To call her insensitive in these circumstances is ludicrous.
gh

Postby decafan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:38 am

Daisy wrote:
tandfman wrote:she surely meant no harm, but she could have been more careful.

decafan wrote:You are an unreasonable person with no sense of humor

Mmm, his comment seems reasonable to me. I think the difference here is that some people just don't use, or follow twitter. I guess twitter has a culture where her response is within the boundaries of normal?

I have to echo tandfman here, with respect to being 'more careful'. She should realise by now that her tweets will be taken out of context.

Daisy, if you read my first response to tandfman, you will see his original post in a quote. I believe the part you agree with was added later as an edit. At least I didn't see it in his original post. But for what it's worth, I still think it is unreasonable to ask her to essentially NOT partake in the fun twitter banter with someone she took as a fan having fun. Which, by the way, he was.
decafan

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:44 am

decafan wrote:Daisy, if you read my first response to tandfman, you will see his original post in a quote. The part you agree with was added later as an edit.

Ah, I missed that edit.
decafan wrote:But for what it's worth, I still think it is unreasonable to ask her to essentially NOT partake in the fun twitter banter with someone she took as a fan having fun. Which, by the way, he was.

I totally agree. I detest the tabloid culture where celebrities have absolutely no privacy. Worse, more often than not, they are painted in a bad or unflattering light. Unfortunately, though, it is a reality.

edit: and now the NYTimes has picked up the ball too.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/10 ... tweet.html
Daisy

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:01 am

gh wrote:I'm not sure what kind of reaction you think a runner is supposed to have to "wanna race me?" Adn in this case, what kind of response was LeGrand looking for?

I think the lolo haters are simply having a field day with an unfortunate chain of events. To call her insensitive in these circumstances is ludicrous.

Amen! 8-)
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:09 am

Currently, there are 46 news agencies running this story(via Google search). My guess would be none of them are motivated by being "Lolo haters".

Jones can't have it both ways - if she wants people to pay attention to her, she shouldnt be surprised when she's called on the carpet for insensitive - or flat-out stupid - remarks, whether they're products of a brain cramp or not. And as the article noted, it's not so much what she said, but how she responded once she was made aware of LeGrand's situation.
guru

Postby gh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:18 am

guru wrote:Currently, there are 46 news agencies running this story(via Google search). My guess would be none of them are motivated by being "Lolo haters"....

Merely confirming the sorry state of modern journalism. Make that "journalism"
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:19 am

guru wrote:Currently, there are 46 news agencies running this story(via Google search). My guess would be none of them are motivated by being "Lolo haters".

Jones can't have it both ways - if she wants people to pay attention to her, she shouldnt be surprised when she's called on the carpet for insensitive - or flat-out stupid - remarks, whether they're products of a brain cramp or not. And as the article noted, it's not so much what she said, but how she responded once she was made aware of LeGrand's situation.

To a certain point I agree with you. Celebrity is a double-edged sword. As an old friend once said, once you're important enough in this world to make the cover of Parade and have Time doing fluff pieces on you, you're also important enough to make the cover of the National Enquirer and have the New York Times doing hit pieces on you.
jazzcyclist

PreviousNext