Health Benefits of Walking?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Health Benefits of Walking?

Postby pinoyathletics » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:42 am

pinoyathletics

Re: Health Benefits of Walking?

Postby j-a-m » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:57 am

Talking about health benefits of simple everyday activities, another good idea is taking the stairs. It's unbelievable how many people wait for an elevator to take them up just a couple of floors.
j-a-m

Postby Vielleicht » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:57 am

j-a-m wrote:Talking about health benefits of simple everyday activities, another good idea is taking the stairs. It's unbelievable how many people wait for an elevator to take them up just a couple of floors.

Dusty stairs is a real yuck though...
Vielleicht

Postby Helen S » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:36 am

Stairs get dusty with lack of use, but should still be cleaned occasionally. It is my obsercation at work that those that need to use the stairs do not, while those that use them look like they do a lot more than that for exercise.
Helen S

Postby lonewolf » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:36 pm

I don't question conventional wisdom that walking is beneficial but a couple of weeks ago, I had a puzzling experience.
I am diabetic but am able to keep my blood sugar in the low 100s with a couple of pills and 10 mg insulin daily. I walk about three miles a days.. some days.. when the time and temperature are right.
My car was sick so after my usual breakfast, I walked four miles to the post office and back. next day, I walked six miles to the PO and one bank, following day, I walked eight miles to PO and two banks in about one hour and forty five minutes..
I thought, hey, this may be good for me so, maybe I will make this my regular routine..out of curiosity, on returning home I took my BS.. 365!! ..I took it again...400!!!!! I quit testing..six hours later it was down to 130...
It was about 100 F all three days but that was not a problem. I was not fatigued, dizzy, or nauseous and had no symptoms of low or high blood sugar.. my diabetes doc is baffled too.
lonewolf

Postby gm » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:53 am

lonewolf wrote:My car was sick so after my usual breakfast, I walked four miles to the post office and back. next day, I walked six miles to the PO and one bank, following day, I walked eight miles to PO and two banks in about one hour and forty five minutes.

Keep that up for a month and you'll be at my bank and post office in Houston... :lol:
gm

Postby Pego » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:46 pm

lonewolf wrote:I don't question conventional wisdom that walking is beneficial but a couple of weeks ago, I had a puzzling experience.
I am diabetic but am able to keep my blood sugar in the low 100s with a couple of pills and 10 mg insulin daily. I walk about three miles a days.. some days.. when the time and temperature are right.
My car was sick so after my usual breakfast, I walked four miles to the post office and back. next day, I walked six miles to the PO and one bank, following day, I walked eight miles to PO and two banks in about one hour and forty five minutes..
I thought, hey, this may be good for me so, maybe I will make this my regular routine..out of curiosity, on returning home I took my BS.. 365!! ..I took it again...400!!!!! I quit testing..six hours later it was down to 130...
It was about 100 F all three days but that was not a problem. I was not fatigued, dizzy, or nauseous and had no symptoms of low or high blood sugar.. my diabetes doc is baffled too.

Apparently it is not so unusual.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/co ... S271.short
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks, Pego. That does explain a lot (as far as I am able to understand)..The article refers to "Intense Exercise" . I deliberately did not walk fast or exert. I am much more extended when I walk half that far as fast as possible.
I may repeat the experiment.....the next time my car is in the shop. :)
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:56 am

lonewolf wrote:Thanks, Pego. That does explain a lot (as far as I am able to understand)..The article refers to "Intense Exercise" . I deliberately did not walk fast or exert. I am much more extended when I walk half that far as fast as possible.

Military march is 6 km/hr. Based on your numbers, you marched at the pace of almost 7.5 km/hr. That I consider a fairly swift exercise.
Pego

Postby gh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 am

j-a-m wrote:Talking about health benefits of simple everyday activities, another good idea is taking the stairs. It's unbelievable how many people wait for an elevator to take them up just a couple of floors.

You obviously haven't watched enough action movies: every time somebody steps into a stairwell, you know somebody is going to end up shot/stabbed/axed/garroted. :mrgreen:
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 am

Pego wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Thanks, Pego. That does explain a lot (as far as I am able to understand)..The article refers to "Intense Exercise" . I deliberately did not walk fast or exert. I am much more extended when I walk half that far as fast as possible.

Military march is 6 km/hr. Based on your numbers, you marched at the pace of almost 7.5 km/hr. That I consider a fairly swift exercise.

Perhaps lonewolf overestimated the distance that he walked because 4.5 m.p.h. (8 miles in 1:45) is definitely a brisk pace. If you saw someone walking that fast, you would think they're either exercising/power walking or in a hurry to get somewhere.
jazzcyclist

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:57 am

You may be right Jazz, I just drove it in a car and it is 7.75 miles. The PO is a quarter mile short of two miles and and one bank is an eighth of a mile more than guesstimated.. Also, not sure about the time but I left the house at about 10:05 and was home before the noon whistle blew. ... but the blood sugars were right. :)
lonewolf

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Last April, my 80-year-old father walked a mile and a half to his own open-heart surgery.

Some backstory is in order...not a bypass but to repair an aneurysm. My eccentric mother has never learned to drive, they didn't want to leave the car at the hospital for weeks, and my father wanted to burn off some jitters before the operation. Pops biked 20 to 30 miles a day right up until the operation and got back in the saddle as soon as he was given the go-ahead.
Mighty Favog

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:24 pm

I try to make my rule is that I take the stairs up (not down so much) unless there is some reason not to. My office was six floors up for 20 years and is now five floors up. If I good at a good pace it is a real push to keep from slowing down that last 24 steps (I take them in less than 60 seconds for ~120 steps). I am now a floor and a half earlier on the stress point compared to 20 years ago. Occasionally, I try to do it in under 40 seconds and that is a real push now and works better when I am not carrying a big pack..
26mi235

Postby j-a-m » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:28 pm

26mi235 wrote:I try to make my rule is that I take the stairs up

That's a good rule, and a good idea to make it a habit.
j-a-m