Someone Can Explain Track

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Someone Can Explain Track

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Happy birthday today (Saturday) to two Olympic champions. Both athletes won two Olympic gold medals in their career.

One of the two athletes was born 104 years ago this day while the other is 56 years today. The older of the two died at the age of 58.

The younger athlete was married and divorced. The older athlete was never married.

Born in an Olympic year, the younger champion has two sons and two daughters. The older person went to the University of Michigan.

Besides the two Olympic gold medals, the younger athlete also has two Olympic silver medals.

Both athletes come from English speaking nations.

None of their four Olympic gold medals has anything to do with the hurdles. You can eliminate the field events also.

World records are part of both athletes' history.

Name both of these famous Olympic champions.
DoubleRBar

Re: Someone Can Explain Track

Postby Daisy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:14 pm

I think the younger athlete could be Seb Coe, although I didn't realise he had four kids, so that might be wrong.

edit: And now I'm sure, after noticing the "Someone Can" in the title of the thread. But I have no idea about ET.
Daisy

Postby tandfman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:22 pm

DoubleRBar wrote:The younger athlete was married and divorced.

Seb Coe was married and divorced, but has re-married and is currently married to his second wife.
tandfman

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Daisy, you are correct. It is Seb Coe who turns 56 today. Now, who is the other Olympic gold medalist who died at the age of 58 and won his gold medals in Los Angeles?
DoubleRBar

Postby EastBayprepoftheweek67 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Eddie Tolan.
EastBayprepoftheweek67

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Nice job, EastBayprepoftheweek67. Happy birthday today to Eddie Tolan. Of course you know that Eddie Tolan won the 1932 100 and the 200 in Los Angeles. Eddie went to the University of Michigan on a football scholarship, however he concentrated on track after a knee injury from football. Wouldn't it have been easier if he just concentrated on track in the first place and skipped the football?
DoubleRBar