what's the funniest movie ever?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: what's the funniest movie ever?

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:36 pm

jeremyp wrote:Almost any of the Brit comedies made in the 50's,usually starring Peter Sellars, Terry Thomas, Ian Carmichael, Graham Stark, Alec Guiness. Actually Alec Guiness films stand out by themselves especially "Kind Hearts and Coronets," "The Ladykillers," and "The Lavender Hill Mob."
Many Boulting films were great and usually had a twofer with TT and Carmichael. "I'm All Right Jack" probably the best spoof/satire of British labour unions, with Peter Sellars as a union boss with a hitler moustache.

Guiness is also quite good in The Man in The White Suit
Halfmiler2

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:42 pm

preston wrote:
Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and for sheer stupidity I put History of the World, Part 1 9"It's good to be the king!") over the Producers - which is just a better movie, but not necessarily funnier/sillier to me.

High Anxiety also deserves a mention as a parody of Hitchcock films - Brooks gets stabbed in the shower by a disgruntled hotel employee with a rolled-up newspaper! And he gives a talk at a shrinks' convention with large pictures behind him on the stage: Freud, Jung, and ... Dr. Joyce Brothers!
Halfmiler2

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 pm

I suggest that the original version of The In-Laws with Peter Falk and ALan Arkin deserves to be on any list. Serpentine, serpentine!
Halfmiler2

Postby bad hammy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Dude, The Big Lebowski.
bad hammy

Postby odelltrclan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:47 pm

I wouldn't claim that Ace Ventura When Nature Calls is among the funniest of all time, but it has one of the funniest scenes (to me of course) of all time. Went and saw it during lunch of a workday and laughed so hard at the scene of the mechanical Rhino that I almost asphyxiated myself. I don't think I have ever come close to that with any other scene from any other movie.
odelltrclan

Postby KDFINE » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:19 am

I've seen some top ten titles already by others here. But if I had to name just one it is "The Producers," the best of Mel Brooks' movies, and I'm not talking about his latter musical. I rate it the best because it was his most original. Just about all his other movies are spoofs, which are "too easy" to get laughs out of.

I think another good related topic could be what are the funniest non-Englsih language films, to see where we find cross cultural humor. I think Italian films might lead the lists.
KDFINE

Postby Vince » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 am

My tastes seem to have evolved.....when I watched a movie like Blazing Saddles originally it was very funny, but now it just seems corny. The ones that seem to keep me laughing now are Beverly Hills Cop and Napoleon Dynamite.
Vince

Postby Daisy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 am

A bit of a tangent, for some reason I have never found Mike Myers funny. Since I don't see any of his movies listed here I guess I'm not the only one?
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Master Po wrote:Even though "what's funny" is a radically individual thing,

Indeed - I do not endorse this list as 'great cinema' but as the things that really made me laugh!

10. Happy, Texas – broad farce
9. Hitch – Will Smith and Kevin James - Dream Team
8. The Hangover – crude but effective
7. Bridesmaids – see #8 and Kristen Wiig!
6. Dodgeball – Vince Vaughn!
5. Fish Named Wanda – Kevin Kline!
4. Juno - "I mean I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans can I get into?"
3. A Shot in the Dark – Peter Sellers!
2. Dr. Strangelove – Peter Sellers!!
1. When Harry Met Sally – Billy Crystal!!! ("I'll have what she's having.')
Marlow

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Vince wrote:My tastes seem to have evolved.....when I watched a movie like Blazing Saddles originally it was very funny, but now it just seems corny. The ones that seem to keep me laughing now are Beverly Hills Cop and Napoleon Dynamite.

I agree. What I found funny as a teenager and 20's isn't quite so anymore. I ranted and raved about Monty Python and the Holy Grail only to have my wife and kids roll their eyes and quickly exit the room after buying the DVD. Part of it might actually depend on the mood you were in when you watched the movie and who you were with.

A couple that I like that have not been mentioned are Planes, Trains & Automobiles ("those aren't pillows!") and Uncle Buck.
odelltrclan

Postby gh » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm shocked that we got this far into the thread and nobody mentioned Buster Keaton. Coincidentally, as part of my regular great-movie-watch-group, we did The General last night (1926).

Not roll-in-the-aisles stuff, but very-very funny in its own way.

(Track connection: part of it was filmed in Eugene, the majority in Cottage Grove, just a few miles down the road) (and what great miler went to high school there?)
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:04 pm

gh wrote:I'm shocked that we got this far into the thread and nobody mentioned Buster Keaton. Coincidentally, as part of my regular great-movie-watch-group, we did The General last night (1926).

Not roll-in-the-aisles stuff, but very-very funny in its own way.

(Track connection: part of it was filmed in Eugene, the majority in Cottage Grove, just a few miles down the road) (and what great miler went to high school there?)

Oy vey. I mentioned The General in my off hand list earlier. And Dyrol Burleson went to high school in Cottage Grove, where of course part of Animal House was filmed.

Master Po wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Off hand, I would list:
Duck Soup
Airplane!
Naked Gun
Dr. Strangelove
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Life of Brian
Animal House
The General

Even though "what's funny" is a radically individual thing, I endorse conor's list entirely, and would add to it some exemplars from Mel Brooks (The Producers, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles).
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:07 pm

ahhh.... I searched the thread for "Keaton" not "General"
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:43 pm

gh wrote:ahhh.... I searched the thread for "Keaton" not "General"

You probably thought I meant The General with Brendan Gleeson, about a violent Dublin gangster who was involved with the Ulster Volunteer Force, a real bunch of nice guys. It was funny. Especially when I saw in England. It had the crowd in stitches. :lol:
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:07 pm

odelltrclan wrote:.. I ranted and raved about Monty Python and the Holy Grail only to have my wife and kids roll their eyes and quickly exit the room after buying the DVD. ...

I was a huge fan of the Monties, but at this point, the only movie that retains its humor is The Meaning Of Life ("every sperm is sacred....."

Come to think of it, I never made it all the way through Life of Brian even when I was a big fan back in the day.
gh

Postby ed gee » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
ed gee

Postby tandfman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:13 am

Marlow wrote:1. When Harry Met Sally – Billy Crystal!!! ("I'll have what she's having.')

Maybe the funniest line in the history of film. But that does not mean that the movie was all that funny.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:27 am

tandfman wrote:
Marlow wrote:1. When Harry Met Sally – Billy Crystal!!! ("I'll have what she's having.')

Maybe the funniest line in the history of film. But that does not mean that the movie was all that funny.

I show it every year in my film class and they still think it's hilarious, despite being over 20 years old. Its humor goes way beyond pratfalls and guffaws. Dodgeball, Hangover, etc., are funny in a laugh-out-loud-way, but WHMS is funny in a sustained and engagingly memorable way. I can watch every scene year after year and still laugh - that's pretty special when 99% of all humor depends on the surprise factor.
Marlow

Postby Pego » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 am

Nobody mentioned Johnny Dangerously. Maureen Stapleton as Ma Kelly steals the show.
To her daughter-in-law - "I go both ways."
Pego

Postby gh » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:19 am

fargin icehole!
gh

Postby preston » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:36 am

Pego wrote:Nobody mentioned Johnny Dangerously. Maureen Stapleton as Ma Kelly steals the show.
To her daughter-in-law - "I go both ways."

Agreed. Hilarious movie.
preston

Postby Flumpy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:39 am

The funniest movie ever is Todd Solandz's 'Happiness'.

It's wildly offensive and yet hilarious at the same time. You find yourself laughing at the most disturbing moments. It's probably my favourite film.

I remember first seeing it in New York in 1999. Mump and I fell about laughing throughout whilst the rest of the American audience just looked at us appalled. I don't think many people 'got' it.

I once watched it on DVD and when it finished watched it all over again.

It's amazing.

The two other films that made me literally fall off my seat laughing are 'Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan' which is so funny it hurts. You can't believe what you're watching. He should have won the Oscar.

Also 'South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut'. My jaw hit the floor about 2 minutes in and stayed dropped throughout.
Flumpy

Postby skiboo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:46 am

Not the funnniest ever but definitely hilarious, "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".
skiboo

Postby cullman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:06 am

gh wrote:fargin icehole!

lousy cork soaker!
cullman

Postby bekayne » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 am

Flumpy wrote:The funniest movie ever is Todd Solandz's 'Happiness'.

It's wildly offensive and yet hilarious at the same time. You find yourself laughing at the most disturbing moments. It's probably my favourite film.

"We're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you."
"But I'm not laughing."
bekayne

Postby tandfman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:53 pm

No Woody Allen movies mentioned yet? Not sure which one I'd pick, but some of his early movies were very, very funny.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:10 pm

tandfman wrote:No Woody Allen movies mentioned yet? Not sure which one I'd pick, but some of his early movies were very, very funny.

He's been virtually unwatchable since Annie Hall (1977), with very few exceptions (Midnight in Paris was bearable). I refuse to go to any more of his or Adam Sandler's (who is now totally unfunny).
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Sleeper is fun. Great line about how much his Polaroid stock must be worth....
Conor Dary

Postby cladthin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:20 pm

1)Fletch
2)Big Lebowski
3)Night Shift, Office Space
Last edited by cladthin on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cladthin

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Probably mentioned already, and Black Comedy to be sure, but my favorite is Dr. Strangelove.
dukehjsteve

Previous