GreatNorthRun and Philly Halfmarathon...my reports

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

GreatNorthRun and Philly Halfmarathon...my reports

Postby albertostretti1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:32 pm

http://www.albertostretti.org/2012/09/g ... thrun.html

About GreatNorthRun

http://www.albertostretti.org/2012/09/p ... ia-hm.html

About Philly HalfMarathon

waiting for your opinions??u liked these races??...thanks
albertostretti1

Re: GreatNorthRun and Philly Halfmarathon...my reports

Postby tandfman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Let me give you some friendly advice. I will not read web pages iike those. No matter how interested I may be in the subject, I won't read anything where the layout of the content makes the text difficult to read.

Two suggestions:

1 - Put a vertical space (hit Enter) between paragraphs. (And keep the paragraphs reasonably short.)

2 - Put two horizontal spaces (hit the space bar twice) between sentences.

Try that and I think you'll see how much easier it is to read.

Good luck.
tandfman

Postby gh » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:13 pm

tandfman wrote:...

That's typewriter-based thinking. With modern computer technology and proportional-spaced fonts, the rule is never to double-space anywhere.
gh

Postby albertostretti1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:02 am

Thanks very much for advice!!...i will do my best to learn and appy your suggests!!...thanks again
albertostretti1

Postby tandfman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 pm

gh wrote:
tandfman wrote:...

That's typewriter-based thinking. With modern computer technology and proportional-spaced fonts, the rule is never to double-space anywhere.

I can live with a single space after sentences. Mr. Stretti's stuff, in many cases, had no space at all.

The more important point was the vertical space between paragraphs. That seriously affects readability.
tandfman

Postby Anthony Treacher » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:35 pm

Try to suspend your disbelief arising from the poor formatting and imperfect English. Yes I liked these pieces. There was something very attractive. And I think I found it. Writing about running is also about communicating the feeling of the event. Here Alberto Stretti has succeeded. If you really want to know what the athletics personalities did and more during the Great North Run and the Philadelphia Half Marathon, you will read these pieces to the finish. Alberto's writing is also unpretentious, not condescending and not judgemental of the athletes. That is unusual here and elsewhere. Well done.
Anthony Treacher

Postby tandfman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:50 am

Anthony Treacher wrote:Try to suspend your disbelief arising from the poor formatting and imperfect English.

It's not a matter of disbelief, nor is it a concern about imperfect English. I just find that long, bunched together paragraphs like that are very difficult to read.

I suppose I could copy those things, paste them into Word, and re-format them. If doing so would truly enrich my life, I might bother doing that. But getting good insights into two late-season road races is not enough incentive for me. Sorry.

And, BTW, I do that all the time. When I see web pages that are not presented graphically in a user-friendly way, I just don't read them, almost no matter what the content is or how interested I may be in the subject matter.
tandfman

Postby lonewolf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 am

Sometimes, this forum resists my attempts at formatting paragraphs and insists on compressing everything into one paragraph. :?
lonewolf

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 am

tandfman wrote:
Anthony Treacher wrote:Try to suspend your disbelief arising from the poor formatting and imperfect English.

It's not a matter of disbelief, nor is it a concern about imperfect English. I just find that long, bunched together paragraphs like that are very difficult to read.

I suppose I could copy those things, paste them into Word, and re-format them. If doing so would truly enrich my life, I might bother doing that. But getting good insights into two late-season road races is not enough incentive for me. Sorry.

And, BTW, I do that all the time. When I see web pages that are not presented graphically in a user-friendly way, I just don't read them, almost no matter what the content is or how interested I may be in the subject matter.

I agree completely. There is plenty enough to read without having to bother with stuff that is hard to look at. I had the same reaction when I went to the site. It isn't worth it.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.