what's up with the sleazy ads?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

what's up with the sleazy ads?

Postby uakari » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:00 pm

what's up with the sleazy ads on the sides of this website?

today i got one that said "meet iranian girls." it used to be girls from dominican republic, brazil, philippines, colombia, ukraine. i'm told google ads are "intelligent" and they are targeted to my interests. really?????? what have i been browsing lately?
uakari

Re: what's up with the sleazy ads?

Postby gh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:05 pm

anybody else ever seen such? First I've heard of it.
gh

Postby j-a-m » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Didn't know there were ads on this website; guess my ad blocker works.
j-a-m

Postby cladthin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:24 pm

I've seen them too. I've definitely seen the Phillipines ad.
cladthin

Postby ExCoastRanger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 pm

The flickering (almost disorienting) Asics ads are annoying enough.
Internet/website/forum adverts are a relatively new thing, and I get that website owners/administrators need to make a buck and are still experimenting with what works, but I stop visiting when I get continuous pop-ups, scrolls, or (in the case of this particular Asics ad) distracting, almost siezure-inducing flashing animation. I just don't need to get pissed off a little bit each time I open a window or view a topic.
ExCoastRanger

Postby kuha » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:28 am

ExCoastRanger wrote:The flickering (almost disorienting) Asics ads are annoying enough.

Hugely annoying.
kuha

Postby LopenUupunut » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:37 am

A non-distracting ad likely wouldn't work :)
LopenUupunut

Postby Powell » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:46 am

cladthin wrote:I've seen them too. I've definitely seen the Phillipines ad.

You know that the ads appear on your computer based on what other web sites you visit? Seriously, that's how it works.
Powell

Postby cladthin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:09 am

Powell wrote:

You know that the ads appear on your computer based on what other web sites you visit? Seriously, that's how it works.

I do understand the "smart" concept and that's how the ads are supposed to work (sent to those based upon apparent preferences) but it's obvious to me that it's not working for I've not been to any other sites remotely like those.
cladthin

Postby KDFINE » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:30 am

I'm totally in agreement about the flickering ads. Does anyone remember the movie "The Andromeda Strain" where the flickering lights set off a seizure in one of the scientists (or was it an astronaut - vaguely remember it as a woman?) I keep expecting to have a fit myself!
KDFINE

Postby kuha » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:37 am

LopenUupunut wrote:A non-distracting ad likely wouldn't work :)

Meaning that it wouldn't make me hate both the MEDIUM and the MESSAGE?
kuha

Postby Powell » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:47 am

cladthin wrote:I do understand the "smart" concept and that's how the ads are supposed to work (sent to those based upon apparent preferences) but it's obvious to me that it's not working for I've not been to any other sites remotely like those.

That's what they all say :roll:

Seriously, the connection could be less obvious. You might have visited some website related to the Phillipines, or whatever.
Powell

Postby gh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:02 am

yeah, they're not smart enough to necessarily target you down to the nubbins. If you're on a page that has a bunch of discussion of headlines that mention steroids, or HGH, for example, it's not strange if supplement Ads start popping up, even if you've never opened any of the threads.

Needless to say, unless an Ad is truly in bad taste here and generates a landslide of complaints, you simply have to learn to ignore it. Sorry, but that's the reality of the medium.
gh

Postby cladthin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:21 am

Powell wrote:
cladthin wrote:I do understand the "smart" concept and that's how the ads are supposed to work (sent to those based upon apparent preferences) but it's obvious to me that it's not working for I've not been to any other sites remotely like those.

That's what they all say :roll:

Seriously, the connection could be less obvious. You might have visited some website related to the Phillipines, or whatever.

Yeah, you really have me pegged. :roll:

Nothing that I'm aware of related to Phillipines etc. so I have no idea why the ads are popping up.
cladthin

Postby guru » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 am

gh wrote:yeah, they're not smart enough to necessarily target you down to the nubbins.

Actually, they are. When you visit just about any page, you get a nice cookie deposited on your computer that says you've been there(unless you have configured your computer to prevent it). Then, when you visit a site like this with Flash advertisements, they are customized exactly to you. For example, in the last week I have been shopping for some bike components. Sure enough, at various sites(including this one), if I haven't cleared my cache, I get bike shop ads
guru

Postby cladthin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:25 pm

guru wrote:
gh wrote:yeah, they're not smart enough to necessarily target you down to the nubbins.

Actually, they are. When you visit just about any page, you get a nice cookie deposited on your computer that says you've been there(unless you have configured your computer to prevent it). Then, when you visit a site like this with Flash advertisements, they are customized exactly to you. For example, in the last week I have been shopping for some bike components. Sure enough, at various sites(including this one), if I haven't cleared my cache, I get bike shop ads

Definitely something I do very often and largely just to keep the computer running at a decent speed-clearing out/deleting temp. internet files.
cladthin

Postby j-a-m » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:29 pm

guru wrote:Actually, they are. When you visit just about any page, you get a nice cookie deposited on your computer that says you've been there(unless you have configured your computer to prevent it). Then, when you visit a site like this with Flash advertisements, they are customized exactly to you. For example, in the last week I have been shopping for some bike components. Sure enough, at various sites(including this one), if I haven't cleared my cache, I get bike shop ads

Isn't that really creepy, how companies track you and what sites you visit after theirs?
j-a-m

Postby guru » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:37 pm

j-a-m wrote:Isn't that really creepy, how companies track you and what sites you visit after theirs?

Depends. It's helpful sometimes, but easy enough to prevent by adjusting your privacy settings.
guru

Postby guru » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:40 pm

cladthin wrote:
guru wrote:

Definitely something I do very often and largely just to keep the computer running at a decent speed-clearing out/deleting temp. internet files.

And if you run Google Chrome as your browser, just use the Incognito mode and it automatically deletes all that for you when you close.
guru

Postby j-a-m » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:56 pm

guru wrote:but easy enough to prevent by adjusting your privacy settings.

Yeah, I do that; just surprised that relatively few people seem to do it.
j-a-m

Postby uakari » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:07 pm

since my secret marriage to roman sebrle, i'm not interested in women. well, that was the case even before that, so i don't see how "intelligent" google is. i also got at one point ads for "cheap telephone calls" to kenya, nigeria, etc. maybe because of the african athletics element here. i've also used to get ads for technical schools -- what the heck.

when i go to yahoo for my email account, i used to get ads for dating women over 50. i get tons of obama ads lately -- how did they figger i'm a secret big-government communist muslim abortionist??????

now, when i think of it, i'm really insulted. all the sleazy ads for meeting girls in ukraine, domin. rep., brazil etc. -- does google think i'm some old loser dude who cannot meet girls?
Last edited by uakari on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uakari

Postby toyracer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 am

Oddly, I don't see any of these ads and I'm not using any ad blocking software or extensions with Firefox.
toyracer

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:04 am

The latest is an AT&T ad that shows up as a small box on the left side of the home page when I open it. It blocks most of the headline section. It disappears after 10 seconds or so, but in the meanwhile, there's nothing I can do about it--no way to x out of it before it's ready to go.

A new way to teach me patience, I suppose.
tandfman

Postby bad hammy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:20 am

Google 'Flash block' and your browser (chrome, firefox, IE). There are easy to install free browser extensions that block all of those Adobe Flash-based ads. Instead, where the flash video would be you have a box with an F in it that you can click on if you want to see the flash stuff. Great idea, works beautifully.
bad hammy

Postby gh » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:45 am

tandfman wrote:The latest is an AT&T ad that shows up as a small box on the left side of the home page when I open it. It blocks most of the headline section. It disappears after 10 seconds or so, but in the meanwhile, there's nothing I can do about it--no way to x out of it before it's ready to go.

Yeah, we're well aware of it, and trying to effect a fix. Nothing is simple with website displays.
gh

Postby uakari » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:49 am

for my work computer, i have NoAds (blocks pop ups) and AdBlocker (works great to block the short 15 sec. ads on the nbcolympics video streaming). but for my home Mac, these don't seem to work. what do you suggest for Macs?
uakari

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 am

uakari wrote:what do you suggest for Macs?

Replace them with PCs. :)
tandfman

Postby polevaultpower » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:45 am

I've honestly been visiting T&FN less because of the extremely annoying Asics ad. I can't wait for it to go out of rotation.
polevaultpower

Postby Cooter Brown » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:16 am

Firefox + Ad Blocker is the way to go. I didn't even realize there were ads on this site until I checked it on someone else's PC a few years ago.
Cooter Brown

Postby bad hammy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:10 am

Cooter Brown wrote:Firefox + Ad Blocker is the way to go. I didn't even realize there were ads on this site until I checked it on someone else's PC a few years ago.

Excellent - thanks for the tip!
bad hammy

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:52 pm

gh wrote:
tandfman wrote:The latest is an AT&T ad that shows up as a small box on the left side of the home page when I open it. It blocks most of the headline section. It disappears after 10 seconds or so, but in the meanwhile, there's nothing I can do about it--no way to x out of it before it's ready to go.

Yeah, we're well aware of it, and trying to effect a fix. Nothing is simple with website displays.

I just did "ctlr -" [control key and hit the "-" key]; that n=knocks the font size down and it no longer covers anything. :)
26mi235

Postby toyracer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:52 am

Cooter Brown wrote:Firefox + Ad Blocker is the way to go. I didn't even realize there were ads on this site until I checked it on someone else's PC a few years ago.

I concur, although even without ad blocker plus I didn't have pop ups, just the asics ad. Now that's gone too.
toyracer

Postby wineturtle » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Poster ponoyathletics posts links to a Philippine base blog site that might drive the mailorderbride ads.
wineturtle

Postby lonewolf » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:49 pm

I get loud intrusive audio at random times..don't know what they are pitching..
lonewolf

Postby aaronk » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Fuck this!!!

For the past two days, I've gotten those intrusive "XBox" ads with their obnoxious bullshit BLARING into my headphones while I'm trying to read something on the front page....or checking out the results of the 5th Avenue mile!!

Why all of a sudden?? We went months without this crap!!!
I'm outta here until this SHIT ENDS!!!!!
aaronk

Postby EPelle » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:47 pm

The FlashBlock Chrome extension can kill the flash adverts. No more annoying sounds, videos or other movable flash-based objects.
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:35 am

aaronk wrote:Fuck this!!!

For the past two days, I've gotten those intrusive "XBox" ads with their obnoxious bullshit BLARING into my headphones while I'm trying to read something on the front page....or checking out the results of the 5th Avenue mile!!

Doesn't your computer have a mute button? That's what it's for.
tandfman

Postby Blues » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:04 pm

aaronk wrote:Fuck this!!!

That EA Sports/X Box ad is definitely annoying, and I'm surprised it repeatedly pops up automatically like that on a legitimate website like this one.. I had to deal with the ad blaring repeatedly every couple minutes as I tried to listen to the online radio broadcast of my team's NFL game, since I was also trying to browse the T&FN site simultaneously.. I couldn't even find a prompt to close the ad to stop it from drowning out the NFL broadcasters in the middle of a play every few minutes.. And to make matters worse, I not only had my game broadcast interrupted by the ad repeatedly, but I had to deal with my team getting completely and utterly spanked by the Cardinals at the same time... :evil:
Blues

Postby gh » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:01 pm

it appears there's a glitch in the programming. It's supposed to boot in mute mode (as are all ads on our site), and if you look in the middle of the Ad you'll see a button to turn the sound on, except it's already on. You need to turn the sound on (even though it already is), which then gives you the mute button, which works then when you click it.

Helluva way to run a railroad I know.
gh

Postby bushop » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:04 pm

gh wrote:Helluva way to run a railroad I know.

As long as there is enough revenue generated to keep T&F News rolling I don't care what pops-up on my screen. I can hit mute and scroll past adds.
bushop

Next