1972 Olympics on ESPN Classic

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

1972 Olympics on ESPN Classic

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 am

This week ESPN Classic is showing 3 half hour shows from ABC's 1972 track coverage, with one on Shorter's marathon win, one on the 100 debacle and another that includes Wottle's 800.

I remember watching them all live. Still amazing that Robert Taylor was able to run as well as he did in that quarter final on no warmup.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: 1972 Olympics on ESPN Classic

Postby user4 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:44 am

Everytime i watch Wottle in that 800m final I think to myself, what in the world is going on in his head as he jogs back there some 20 yards back at 300m.
user4

Postby tm71 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 pm

i have been watching it. i was only 18 months old when those games took place. i had seen parts of the documentaries on spitz, the basketball final and the tragedy in the village in the past, but not some of the other events. jim mckay did a decent job calling the track and field races. certainly better than anything uncle tom hammond could muster !
tm71

Postby sprintzfan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Hey Conor I came here tonight to check and see if you guys knew about this. And I had you in mind specifically. I figured if anyone here was interested in it, it would be you. Based on age and your apparent interest in a variety of things historical. (Zapruder film, Neil Armstrong etc..)

Last night was the first night I caught them doing Track. Saw earlier ones on Olga Korbut and stuff but noTrack. Another Track one comes on in 3 hours.

Take it easy. Glad everyone here has been informed about it.
sprintzfan

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:40 am

The marathon, which was 40 years ago yesterday, was fun to watch again. I thought the telecast was kind of quaint. Chris Schenkel, who knew zero about marathons, calmly describing the race as it goes through a park. Jim McKay was enthusiastic and then the over caffeinated Erich Segal is humorous.

The part where Shorter and Segal are on a jog discussing Shorter's life was interesting. Especially when his father comes up in the conversation and weird, in light of what we now know what their relation was really like.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.