Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby toyracer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:24 am

j-a-m wrote:
toyracer wrote:The representatives for the Olympic games just happened to be chosen from the results.

And in years without a major championship the fields at Nationals just happen to be much weaker...


Agreed, but that doesn't diminish the fact that Bolt lost at the national trials, twice, this year, and he was running to win.
Last edited by toyracer on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby Marlow » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:31 am

Tuariki wrote:3. It is not that difficult to go undefeated if you only compete twice.

TAFNY!!!!
Yeah, and he cherry-picked those meets - ducking the opposition by only showing up for the USA OT and the OG. (the WR was sooooo a fluke!) :lol:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21075
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:42 am

Marlow wrote:
Tuariki wrote:3. It is not that difficult to go undefeated if you only compete twice.

TAFNY!!!!
Yeah, and he cherry-picked those meets - ducking the opposition by only showing up for the USA OT and the OG. (the WR was sooooo a fluke!) :lol:

Rudisha also set a WR and won the Kenya OT and OG.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby tandfman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 am

Obviously, if you say that someone who competed only twice during the year can never be the AOY, then you're saying that no decathlete or marathoner should ever be considered. I'm not sure everyone would agree.

The problem with Merritt as AOY, even if he does set the WR this week, is that he lost two Diamond League races and false started in two others. Rudisha and Eaton also got WRs this year, but Rudisha lost only once and Eaton not at all. Merritt, of course, competed in more meets than Rudisha and Eaton combined.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby Marlow » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Rudisha also set a WR and won the Kenya OT and OG.

And Rudisha is indeed an awesome athlete. As I said before, it's sad that amazing athletes like Rudi and Bolt can't win AOY because they happened to lose on smaller stages, but that's how the AOY game is played. But . . . if Eaton does not win it, yeah, I can live with that too, even as much as I think he should win it.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21075
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 am

EPelle wrote:
Dave wrote:Let's see Mr. Rudisha pick up a shot or a vaulting pole.

Again? He's done the decathlon thing once. Turned into a sprinter.


Seriously? How did it turn out?
Dave
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby tgs3 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:54 am

tandfman wrote:Obviously, if you say that someone who competed only twice during the year can never be the AOY, then you're saying that no decathlete or marathoner should ever be considered. I'm not sure everyone would agree.


Two competitions is a little on the low side, even for decathletes. Most of them will end up doing 3 decathlons this year. Some will even do as many as 5.

However, I do think indoor events should count for AOY voting, so I'd have no problem with Eaton as AOY.
tgs3
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:19 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby Flumpy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:43 pm

tgs3 wrote:However, I do think indoor events should count for AOY voting, so I'd have no problem with Eaton as AOY.


But they don't count. It's not the same event.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby mump boy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Flumpy wrote:
tgs3 wrote:However, I do think indoor events should count for AOY voting, so I'd have no problem with Eaton as AOY.


But they don't count. It's not the same event.


AOY isn't based on one event, wouldn't count towards Dec No1

I think it should count and if it did i would have no problem with him being AOY
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby Flumpy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Good point.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby Tuariki » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:04 pm

tandfman wrote:Obviously, if you say that someone who competed only twice during the year can never be the AOY, then you're saying that no decathlete or marathoner should ever be considered. I'm not sure everyone would agree.

You should read what I said. I have never said Eaton, or anyone else with only 2 comps, should not be considered as AOY. However, I am saying that where someone like Rudisha has 9 comps then I would not penalise Rudisha for his latest loss in comparison to Eaton. And while I personally favour Rudsiha for AOY I would not have any problems if Eaton wins.

tandfman wrote:The problem with Merritt as AOY, even if he does set the WR this week, is that he lost two Diamond League races and false started in two others. Rudisha and Eaton also got WRs this year, but Rudisha lost only once and Eaton not at all. Merritt, of course, competed in more meets than Rudisha and Eaton combined.

If we compare Merrit only to the comps that Eaton competed in OT and OG then both were undefeated but Eaton is rated higher because of the WR. If Merrit sets a WR in the next week or so then does his overall record offset Eaton? IMO it would. I guess IYO it won't. No problem with that. In such circumstances Rudisha, Eaton and Merritt would all be a worthy winner of AOY.
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:10 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Tuariki wrote:3. It is not that difficult to go undefeated if you only compete twice.

TAFNY!!!!
Yeah, and he cherry-picked those meets - ducking the opposition by only showing up for the USA OT and the OG. (the WR was sooooo a fluke!) :lol:

Rudisha also set a WR and won the Kenya OT and OG.


And he beat the defending World Champion both times, right? The comment is the Eaton only competed twice.

Bolt has a foot in the bucket because he is only 1-1 in both his events versus another individual whom he refused to race on any other occasion. This is one of the costs of ducking -- and in my mind ought to be imposed as much as possible to show the cost of doing so. My guess is that if Bolt had raced the Beast 5-6 more times he would have a couple more defeats.
Ducking so that you do not lose to keep your record clean means that your record is thin, and Bolt's is decidedly thin with a mere single victory over his top opponent in each event -- note that Eaton beat is primary opponent twice in his two competitions.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby mump boy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:14 am

26mi235 wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Tuariki wrote:3. It is not that difficult to go undefeated if you only compete twice.

TAFNY!!!!
Yeah, and he cherry-picked those meets - ducking the opposition by only showing up for the USA OT and the OG. (the WR was sooooo a fluke!) :lol:

Rudisha also set a WR and won the Kenya OT and OG.


And he beat the defending World Champion both times, right? The comment is the Eaton only competed twice.


Youo don't get bonus points for beating 'the defending world champion' !!

How can Rudisha compete with that anyway ? he is the defending World Champ :?
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby tandfman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am

Tuariki wrote:If Merrit sets a WR in the next week or so then does his overall record offset Eaton? IMO it would. I guess IYO it won't. No problem with that. In such circumstances Rudisha, Eaton and Merritt would all be a worthy winner of AOY.

I agree. My comments were not meant to suggest that the choice is at all clear.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby dbirds » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 am

Given comments on wAOY thread does it hurt Eaton that he was 3rd in LJ at Walnut?

Was he now? That is enough for me. DR is the Man!

I am not sure if you're being facetious or not.

One way or the other, a very deserving athlete is going to come in second here.

Very serious. In fact Eaton should run a DL 1500 to prove how tough he is....

But seriously, DR is the man. That Oly 800 is one for the ages.


And Eaton's 9039 WR in the rain is not??

So, if Rudisha had run a 400 and finished 4th then Eaton would be ahead??

Finally, Eaton also has a heptathlon WR to his credit. Sure, it's not the same as a deca but it's a legit event and he won it and broke a WR. The fact that the event favors him is not a knock on the event - it's a compliment to him. Did Rudisha or Merritt break an indoor WR this year? All 3 are awesome (Bolt too) but Eaton should win. He could not have done more this year!
dbirds
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby gh » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 am

dbirds wrote:.... but Eaton should win. He could not have done more this year!


Well, actually he could. Skipping Götzis so close to the OT was the right choice. If he were to show up at Talence in a couple of weeks and win with a mid-8000s score, I suspect he'd become a pretty clear choice for a lot of people.

I'm still leaning towards him even with only the pair of meets. (and bringing up the indoor heptathlon, at least in terms of T&FN's AOY award, is a waste of time. The mark will not be on his cv and the voting instructions will contain usual boilerplate regards the ignoring of such events)
gh
 
Posts: 46294
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby tm71 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 am

i think it has been made clear that the indoor heptathlon, indoor 800 and indoor 60 hurdles do not count in considering the AOY. Rudisha had some great sequence of marks in addition to his WR at the olympics. However, Eaton has practically been perfect winning the OT by almost 700 points over the world champion and breaking the 11 yr old WR, then winning the OG by 200 points over the defending world champion and the best the world had to offer. Both of his scores were in the top 8 performances ever, so the only thing Eaton did not do was break his WR from the trials at the olympics. Or post another big score in a meaningless early season meet. The comment that he would lose to mediocre club level atheltes in most of the event is totally ignorant. His 8.23 long jump at the trials would have put him on the us team and would have given him silver in london (had he repeated it). Even his long jump mark in london would have been good enough to give him three more jumps in the final.
tm71
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby j-a-m » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:29 pm

gh wrote:I'm still leaning towards him even with only the pair of meets.

How about the following argument in favor of Eaton: He's won convincingly not only in good conditions, but also in the rain. When Rudisha ran in the rain, he didn't win, indicating he's not equally great under adverse conditions.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby tm71 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:45 pm

j-a-m wrote:
gh wrote:I'm still leaning towards him even with only the pair of meets.

How about the following argument in favor of Eaton: He's won convincingly not only in good conditions, but also in the rain. When Rudisha ran in the rain, he didn't win, indicating he's not equally great under adverse conditions.


to add to this, some of the events eaton competes in can severely be affected by the rain (such as high jump, hurdles, discus, pole vault).
tm71
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby mump boy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:24 pm

tm71 wrote:i think it has been made clear that the indoor heptathlon, indoor 800 and indoor 60 hurdles do not count in considering the AOY. Rudisha had some great sequence of marks in addition to his WR at the olympics. However, Eaton has practically been perfect winning the OT by almost 700 points over the world champion and breaking the 11 yr old WR, then winning the OG by 200 points over the defending world champion and the best the world had to offer. Both of his scores were in the top 8 performances ever, so the only thing Eaton did not do was break his WR from the trials at the olympics. Or post another big score in a meaningless early season meet. The comment that he would lose to mediocre club level atheltes in most of the event is totally ignorant. His 8.23 long jump at the trials would have put him on the us team and would have given him silver in london (had he repeated it). Even his long jump mark in london would have been good enough to give him three more jumps in the final.


WHo cares that he beat 'the defending world champion' it's totally irrelevant. Harting, Rudisha, Bolt, Farah either are the world champ or beat him as well.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby toyracer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:35 pm

gh wrote:and bringing up the indoor heptathlon, at least in terms of T&FN's AOY award, is a waste of time. The mark will not be on his cv and the voting instructions will contain usual boilerplate regards the ignoring of such events


gh, I honestly don't know hence I ask; why?
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:57 pm

To me also, the multi events are ones that cannot be competed very often. Eaton showing up and scoring 8500 [does anyone here really think that an 8500 Deca is anywhere close to a 6600 Hept; the one has been done once, the other possibly 100 times] at Talence is worth a lot less than beating the WR in the closest thing to a decathlon you can imagine. I can hardly think of a competition that would be more of an anticlimax than another decathlon. He may have one the OT with the largest margin ever, and did it by defeating the defending WC and the defending OC.

Here, we are not talking about the event top performer, but the AOY, and setting a WR in an event competed at the WIC, and in fact doing it at the WIC, seems particularly relevant rather than something to be absolutely ignored.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby mump boy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:00 am

I don't get why multi eveners are seemingly getting a free pass from competing ?

As GH said there are other opportunities for AE to compete (and win large prize money). Gotzis was a month before trials, Multistar a month before that and Decastar a Month after London, but he has seemly chosen not to. Why is anyone who has achieved all they need to this year still competing ? Why didn't everyone just go home after London ?

Obviously i don't expect them to compete week in week out like other events but if they don't even take part in those that are available to them, then i can't compare them fairly to athletes who have competed 5 times as much and may have 1 loss. If we think Eatons achievements this year are superior to everyone else's (there is of course an argument for this) that's fine but others shouldn't be marked down for losing when competing a lot more frequently
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby gibson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:05 am

there should be no penalty to rudisha what so ever for losing at seasons end in less than great conditions (for him).

say tiger woods wins 6 tournaments by 5 or 10 strokes and then finishes second by one in the last event of the season in the rain.....

say it was bolt and he blew away the competition by the equivalent rushida did this year (1-2 seconds) = 0.2 seconds in the 100. then loses in the rain for the first time by 0.01 to a guy he squashed all year???

you get the picture.
gibson
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:57 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby DecFan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:34 am

Surely we can all agree on two points:

1) A loss for someone who competes only 2x in a year is more important than a loss for someone who competes many more times. Had Eaton lost either of his decathlon competitions this year, he would not be in consideration at all for AOY, regardless of the greatness of his other performance.

2) A loss is worse than a win, or not competing. Duh. Rudisha's record is unquestionably blemished by losing to Aman. Certainly an argument can be made that his season still merits AOY, but a loss is still a loss.
DecFan
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby DecFan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 am

Here are some statistics for the extent to which Rudisha's and Eaton's WRs are superior to past performances in their events:

WR superiority to 2nd best performer ever:
Rudisha: 0.20%
Eaton: 0.14%

WR superiority to average of next 5 best performers ever:
Rudisha 0.80%
Eaton 1.36%

WR superiority to average of next 10 best performers ever:
Rudisha 1.15%
Eaton 2.02%

WR superiority to average of next 5 best PERFORMANCES ever:
Rudisha 0.59%
Eaton 1.07%
(Note: Performances by someone other than Rudisha/Eaton)

WR superiority to average of next 10 best Performances ever:
Rudisha 0.86%
Eaton 1.60%

# of next 10 best performers beaten this year:
Rudisha: 5 (#4 Amos, #6 Kaki, #9 Borzakovsky, #10 Kitum, #11 Aman)
Eaton: 3 (#2 Sebrle, #7 Clay, #10 Hardee)

# of top 10 performances all time Rudisha/Eaton have in 2012, excluding their previous years' results
Rudisha 3 (#1, #4, #8)
Eaton 2 (#1, #8)
DecFan
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby marknhj » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 am

DecFan wrote:Duh. Rudisha's record is unquestionably blemished by losing to Aman. Certainly an argument can be made that his season still merits AOY, but a loss is still a loss.


What nonsense. It isn't a blemish on his outstanding season at all.

Anyone who has a clue about the real world of elite track and field takes most post-Olympic results that are below expectations with a very large pinch of salt. In fact, it I cared one cent about AOY (guess what, I don't care for any subjective rankings of athletes), I'd vote for all post-Games results to be barred from consideration.
marknhj
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby DecFan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:30 am

marknhj wrote:
DecFan wrote:Duh. Rudisha's record is unquestionably blemished by losing to Aman. Certainly an argument can be made that his season still merits AOY, but a loss is still a loss.


What nonsense. It isn't a blemish on his outstanding season at all.

Anyone who has a clue about the real world of elite track and field takes most post-Olympic results that are below expectations with a very large pinch of salt. In fact, it I cared one cent about AOY (guess what, I don't care for any subjective rankings of athletes), I'd vote for all post-Games results to be barred from consideration.


What nonsense. And how contrary to TaFNews' system over all these decades of taking head to head results seriously.

There's no question that a late season win/loss is less important than a mid-season win/loss; I buy the "very large pinch of salt" argument. But to say late season results are of absolutely no importance in judging the quality of an entire season of work? So if Eaton were to show up at Talence and win in 8700+, that should have no impact on AOY voting? Or flip the results of Zurich around: If Rudisha had won that race in low 1:41, that should have no impact on AOY voting? What nonsense.
DecFan
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby kuha » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Got to agree that the WHOLE season does have importance. One can weight the Olympics appropriately, but it cannot be the only meet that matters.
kuha
 
Posts: 9010
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby j-a-m » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Great athletes compete to win; not so great athletes compete not to lose.

So shouldn't voters base their considerations mostly on wins, and less on losses?
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby j-a-m » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm

And how about this: The real value of wins versus losses is in the predictive value, i.e. if the athlete were to compete next week against the best in the world, how likely is he or she to win?

Eaton has dominated the competiton both times, and both in sunshine and rain. So while two competitions is not much, it is in this case enough in terms of predictive value.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby marknhj » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:04 pm

kuha wrote:Got to agree that the WHOLE season does have importance. One can weight the Olympics appropriately, but it cannot be the only meet that matters.


To the athletes it is.

As I said, a post-Olympic loss in an Olympic year should never be held against an outstanding athlete who has produced an incredible result in an Olympic Final. Especially when you are comparing an out-of-this-world individual event performance with multi-event performances.

What multi-event athletes achieve is fantastic, fabulous, and occasionally incredible, but they are stringing together a series of mostly average or below average marks in the context of world class performance. To me it's simply not the same as running a sub-1:41 800m which almost requires a word beyond "excellence".
marknhj
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby mump boy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:13 pm

DecFan wrote:Surely we can all agree on two points:

1) A loss for someone who competes only 2x in a year is more important than a loss for someone who competes many more times. Had Eaton lost either of his decathlon competitions this year, he would not be in consideration at all for AOY, regardless of the greatness of his other performance.

2) A loss is worse than a win, or not competing. Duh. Rudisha's record is unquestionably blemished by losing to Aman. Certainly an argument can be made that his season still merits AOY, but a loss is still a loss.


I don't think a loss is worse than not competing, in fact i think coming 2nd is better than not taking part
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:28 pm

mump boy wrote:

I don't think a loss is worse than not competing, in fact i think coming 2nd is better than not taking part


Just like Tennyson's

Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby Tuariki » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:29 pm

marknhj wrote:
kuha wrote:Got to agree that the WHOLE season does have importance. One can weight the Olympics appropriately, but it cannot be the only meet that matters.


To the athletes it is.

As I said, a post-Olympic loss in an Olympic year should never be held against an outstanding athlete who has produced an incredible result in an Olympic Final. Especially when you are comparing an out-of-this-world individual event performance with multi-event performances.

What multi-event athletes achieve is fantastic, fabulous, and occasionally incredible, but they are stringing together a series of mostly average or below average marks in the context of world class performance. To me it's simply not the same as running a sub-1:41 800m which almost requires a word beyond "excellence".

I definitely agree with paragraphs 1 and 3. In regards to paragraph 2 I don't think you can discount post Olympic performances totally but as in the case of Rudisha you have to look at the context of the whole season; and in his case I would not hold his last loss against him at all in comparing him to Eaton.
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby j-a-m » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:26 am

gibson wrote:there should be no penalty to rudisha what so ever for losing at seasons end in less than great conditions (for him).

Question is, what is the explanation for Rudisha's loss:
- Not comfortable running in rain, then it should count against him; or
- ran only with the goal of improving the WR, even though that increased the risk of losing, i.e. had he run to "only" win that day, he would've and it shouldn't count against him then.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 am

No mulligans in track are there? If you run and lose, deal with it. I am sure he was not thinking anything about AOY going into the meet. Does any athlete really? Maybe their event rankings but not AOY. And I am sure he was motivated by his pay for participating to be there so if he loses he loses, it is part of his body of work. He may still get AOY. If that was the only loss of the year, it does not taint him much.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:53 am

j-a-m wrote:
gibson wrote:there should be no penalty to rudisha what so ever for losing at seasons end in less than great conditions (for him).

Question is, what is the explanation for Rudisha's loss:
- Not comfortable running in rain, then it should count against him; or
- ran only with the goal of improving the WR, even though that increased the risk of losing, i.e. had he run to "only" win that day, he would've and it shouldn't count against him then.


If the weather is going to be an issue for Rudisha, then it certainly cuts both ways. Rudisha loses his race because of weather and Eaton sets a world record in terrible conditions. Eaton comes out way ahead on that one.
Dave
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby kuha » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 am

marknhj wrote:
kuha wrote:Got to agree that the WHOLE season does have importance. One can weight the Olympics appropriately, but it cannot be the only meet that matters.


To the athletes it is.

As I said, a post-Olympic loss in an Olympic year should never be held against an outstanding athlete who has produced an incredible result in an Olympic Final. Especially when you are comparing an out-of-this-world individual event performance with multi-event performances.

What multi-event athletes achieve is fantastic, fabulous, and occasionally incredible, but they are stringing together a series of mostly average or below average marks in the context of world class performance. To me it's simply not the same as running a sub-1:41 800m which almost requires a word beyond "excellence".


OK, I'll debate this. To the WINNING athletes, or to those (Leo M) who have performed better than expected, yes, the Olympics certainly will have a high likelihood of being the only meet that "really matters." But for ALL the rest of the athletes, particularly for those who performed below expectations, that's clearly not true and it should not be true. (If it was, then every 4 years would see one "meaningful" day of competition per event--a situation that would end my interest in the sport.)

And by no means should my view be seen as somehow dissing Rudisha. I give him enormous credit for putting himself on the line in ANY post-Olympic meets. Unlike some, I actually did think that there was "some" chance of him getting beaten--in any of the meets this year.

So: a) all the leading meets "count", with the OG weighted appropriately; b) Rudisha was so brilliant in the top meet of the year that, for me, his Zurich loss doesn't change the fact that he's still the top male performer for the year.
kuha
 
Posts: 9010
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY??

Postby dbirds » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Well, actually he could. Skipping Götzis so close to the OT was the right choice. If he were to show up at Talence in a couple of weeks and win with a mid-8000s score, I suspect he'd become a pretty clear choice for a lot of people.

I'm still leaning towards him even with only the pair of meets. (and bringing up the indoor heptathlon, at least in terms of T&FN's AOY award, is a waste of time. The mark will not be on his cv and the voting instructions will contain usual boilerplate regards the ignoring of such events)


There is NO reason for Eaton to compete in Talence. He was won gold and set the WR. He started the season early - setting the heptathlon record and he is earning more $ marketing himself and the deca in the States than competing. Injury is a possibility after a long season.

Once again, the heptathlon should have some weight for decathletes. They only compete 2-4 times a year and a heptathlon is 70% of a deca. Give it 10% or something just like a relay leg should count a little bit. Maybe a tiebreaker or something.

Defeating Clay, Suarez and Hardee should count for something as it shows he beat the top competition. Not that Rudisha didnt but it can't be overlooked or ignored.

Any way you look at it, Rudisha was amazing and so was Eaton. Eaton had probably the best year a decathlete could have a should win by a slight margin over Rudisha with Harting, Merritt, Farah and Bolt close behind.
dbirds
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests