2012 College Football

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

2012 College Football

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 am

The AP's preseason top 10 is:

1. USC
    2. Alabama
    3. LSU
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Oregon
    6. Georgia
    7. Florida State
    8. Michigan
    9. South Carolina
    10. Arkansas
. . . and the Coaches' Poll:

1. LSU
    2. Alabama
    3. USC
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Oregon
    6. Georgia
    7. Florida State
    8. Michigan
    9. South Carolina
    10. Arkansas

Tonight, Michigan State hosts Boise State, and tomorrow Michigan and Alabama will square off in Dallas, while Notre Dame returns to the motherland to take on Navy's Midshipmen in Dublin.

Speaking Fighting Irish, Allen Pinkett has been suspended from Irish radio for lamenting how tough it is to compete college football with student-athletes who are also good citizens.

"I've always felt like to have a successful team you've got to have a few bad citizens on the team," Pinkett said on WSCR-AM (670). "That's how Ohio State used to win all the time. They would have two or three guys that were criminals, and that just adds to the chemistry of the team. I think Notre Dame is growing because maybe they have some guys that are doing something worthy of a suspension, which creates edge on the football team.

"You can't have a football team full of choirboys. You get your butt kicked if you've got a team full of choirboys, so you've got to have a little bit of edge. But the coach has to be the dictator and the ultimate ruler. Here's my opinion: You don't hand out suspensions unless you know you've got somebody behind that guy that can make plays."

Given a chance to back off his comments, Pinkett kept going.

"I absolutely meant that," Pinkett told the radio station. "The chemistry is so important on a football team. You have to have a couple of bad guys that sort of teeter on that edge to add to the flavor of the guys that are going to always do right because that just adds to the chemistry of the football team. You have to have ... you look at the teams that have won in the past, they have always had a couple of criminals."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... son-opener
jazzcyclist

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby Pego » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:46 am

Allen Pinkett wrote:Here's my opinion: You don't hand out suspensions unless you know you've got somebody behind that guy that can make plays."

Absolute choirboy morality of Allen Pinkett.
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:52 am

This is basically the same thing Michael Irvin and Melvin Bratton said last year about the dilemma with their beloved Miami Hurricanes - "like a country club", need "one or two more thugs".

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2 ... the-u.html

During Randy Shannon's reign at Miami, he got Miami to the #1 ranking in APR (academic progress rate) among AQ-conference schools, and there was only one player arrest during his tenure (compared to 29 for Urban Meyer at Florida during the same period), and he got fired for not winning enough.
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 pm

Of course, the real moral is to have guys who have nothing else going for them but playing college football. That keeps them focused...
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:08 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Of course, the real moral is to have guys who have nothing else going for them but playing college football. That keeps them focused...

This reminds me of the cool reception that Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle got from NFL scouts when he interviewed at the NFL Combine after a year at Oxford.

Most NFL coaches and executives would be ecstatic if Myron Rolle was their son or their daughter’s date.

Drafting him is another matter.

Welcome to proof of the NFL adage: You want players to be smart, just not too smart. Rolle is an example of a gifted, driven, accomplished young man. He’s a guy who could survive and thrive without playing mankind’s version of demolition derby.

Rolle is a man with options and that makes NFL types, some of whom would be teaching P.E. in high school if not for the pro game, very uneasy.

“We’ll have to find out how committed he is,” an NFC assistant coach said, echoing the sentiment of five other NFL types leading up to this weekend’s scouting combine. “Committed” is a euphemism for desire, care, passion and whatever other combination of emotions goes into wanting to play football enough to make it a career. . . . .

“I hear all the negative things that he has too many things going on in his life,” Shaw said. “But if [the NFL] is saying that Myron Rolle is a bad example, that’s a joke. … Myron is what you want all these kids to be. Every one of these kids should want to be Myron Rolle.

“The reason I say he’s going to be a 10-year veteran is he’s a guy who is going to out-work everybody. He’s not just going to rest on his athletic ability.”

Truly, everyone should strive to be like Rolle, a Rhodes Scholar and safety from Florida State who hopes to one day become a neurosurgeon and has already started a foundation to promote physical fitness.

That said, Shaw knows from personal experience that some NFL coaches are looking for men with a little more moral flexibility. He saw that first hand when he worked for the New Orleans Saints and Mike Ditka was the head coach.

“Mike Ditka wanted a serial killer,” Shaw said, splicing humorous overstatement with a deadpan delivery. “He didn’t want a guy who had other things going on. When he was asking questions, he wanted to know what you were going to do. If your mother was sick, were you going to miss a game?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... olle022510
jazzcyclist

Postby j-a-m » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:44 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:This reminds me of the cool reception that Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle got from NFL scouts when he interviewed at the NFL Combine after a year at Oxford.

There were also some articles about this when the Dallas Cowboys drafted Morris Claiborne at the most recent draft. Now Morris Claiborne scored particularly low at that standardized test they use there, which could have easily hurt his draft chances; but the articles also talked about how a particularly high score in that test can hurt a player's chances.
j-a-m

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:58 am

Just finished watching yesterday's wrap-up. Teams that are scary good:

Bama
SC
Oregon
Okla St

They were talking up Ore's DeAnthony Thomas's speed, saying he could be one of the world's fastest over 100. Hmmm. The commentator also said that if Neon Deion had only been a sprinter, he would have won an Oly Gold. I could sorta see him beating Christie's 9.96 in 92 (Sanders would have been 25yo).
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:23 am

Marlow wrote:Just finished watching yesterday's wrap-up. Teams that are scary good:

Bama
SC
Oregon
Okla St

They were talking up Ore's DeAnthony Thomas's speed, saying he could be one of the world's fastest over 100. Hmmm. The commentator also said that if Neon Deion had only been a sprinter, he would have won an Oly Gold. I could sorta see him beating Christie's 9.96 in 92 (Sanders would have been 25yo).

Watching the Oregon game, I had the sound off, so I missed that lunacy. But the Ducks do look awesome. 7 possessions, 7TDS and only 1:32 per possession. Fast, fast fast... 50-3 and it was only half way through the 2nd quarter! Then the starters rested, otherwise it could have easily been over 100 points.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:32 am

Marlow wrote:Just finished watching yesterday's wrap-up. Teams that are scary good:

Bama
SC
Oregon
Okla St

FYI, Deion's PR is 10.26 from 1988 while he was at Florida State.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 am

Conor Dary wrote:Watching the Oregon game, I had the sound off, so I missed that lunacy. But the Ducks do look awesome. 7 possessions, 7TDS and only 1:32 per possession. Fast, fast fast... 50-3 and it was only half way through the 2nd quarter! Then the starters rested, otherwise it could have easily been over 100 points.

Don't be too impressed with teams like Oregon and Oklahoma State who can drop basketball scores on weaker opponents. LSU and Alabama can't play basketball on grass, and can only dream of scoring 80 points no matter how weak their opponents are but they would have no problem handling the likes of Oregon and Oklahoma State.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:41 am

jazzcyclist wrote:FYI, Deion's PR is 10.26 from 1988 while he was at Florida State.

Instead of 'FYI', I'd've used 'FWIW', which, in this context, means little, except that he was enormously 'talented'. We talk about genetic freaks in sports and Deion was one. Like Bo and now perhaps DeAnthony. He (DT) moves like a water bug on amphetamines.
Marlow

Postby j-a-m » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 am

jazzcyclist wrote:FYI, Deion's PR is 10.26 from 1988 while he was at Florida State.

That seems pretty good, given how many different sports he participated in.
j-a-m

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 am

jazzcyclist wrote:LSU and Alabama can't play basketball on grass, and can only dream of scoring 80 points no matter how weak their opponents are but they would have no problem handling the likes of Oregon and Oklahoma State.

Yes, they would have a 'problem'. Bama would eventually win by 2 TDs, but LSU isn't at that level this year.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Watching the Oregon game, I had the sound off, so I missed that lunacy. But the Ducks do look awesome. 7 possessions, 7TDS and only 1:32 per possession. Fast, fast fast... 50-3 and it was only half way through the 2nd quarter! Then the starters rested, otherwise it could have easily been over 100 points.

Don't be too impressed with teams like Oregon and Oklahoma State who can drop basketball scores on weaker opponents. LSU and Alabama can't play basketball on grass, and can only dream of scoring 80 points no matter how weak their opponents are but they would have no problem handling the likes of Oregon and Oklahoma State.

Of course, the season is early. And we will see.....
Conor Dary

Postby lonewolf » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:29 am

I don't know how good Okla St is but when your first team retires after the first quarter leading 35-0, second team makes it 52-0 at the half, third team 77-0 at third quarter, fourth team mops up 84-0 (or whatever it was) even as they played slow down to get it over with without scoring anymore than unavoidable. I think the announcer said OSU time of possession for first ten touchdowns was about ten minutes with longest drive requiring 1:43. Ya gotta think OSU in is not completely inept.
This embarassment was a desperation game to fill an open date after the Big 12 schedule went to hell..OSU reportedly paid Savannah State $385,000 to play because they could not find a more competitive team with an open date willing to come to Stillwater and risk taking a whupping.
lonewolf

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 am

At least Oregon played a half way decent team. Savannah State is one of the worse teams out there. These days they get paid to lose...

Over 11 seasons, Savannah State, the self-proclaimed University by the Sea, in a charming city distinguished by oak trees that sprout Spanish moss, has won 17 games, just five against Division I teams. It has changed coaches six times — once because of a death — and had nine athletic directors, including interims. It has been placed on N.C.A.A. probation twice and faced a pair of embarrassing lawsuits that claimed racial discrimination.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/31/sport ... odayspaper
Conor Dary

Postby Tuariki » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 am

USC and Oregon all the way. Of course my favourite team are the Cougars of the Palouse - WSU all the way. Trouble is ever since San Diego made the worst selection in history with Ryan Leaf there hasn't been a lot to cheer about in football terms in Pullman.

Therefore, every year I become a one-eyed biased supporter for the descendants of the Pac-8. So USC and Oregon all the way.
Tuariki

Postby Pego » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:14 pm

At this stage I usually trash talk the superiority of Big Ten. What I saw yesterday gave me no trash-talking ammunition. Michigan St looked good, perhaps Ohio St (did not see Illinois or Purdue). Everybody else lukewarm-to-cold, including my Badgers. Far from impressive, there will be tears, I am afraid :( .
Pego

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Pego wrote:At this stage I usually trash talk the superiority of Big Ten. What I saw yesterday gave me no trash-talking ammunition. Michigan St looked good, perhaps Ohio St (did not see Illinois or Purdue). Everybody else lukewarm-to-cold, including my Badgers. Far from impressive, there will be tears, I am afraid :( .

Misery loves company. I have little faith that Stanford, Florida or Florida St will live up to their pre-season poll positions. :(
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Pego wrote:At this stage I usually trash talk the superiority of Big Ten. What I saw yesterday gave me no trash-talking ammunition. Michigan St looked good, perhaps Ohio St (did not see Illinois or Purdue). Everybody else lukewarm-to-cold, including my Badgers. Far from impressive, there will be tears, I am afraid :( .

I'm not so sure about Michigan State. They returned practically everybody except their quarterback, while Boise State was decimated by the NFL, including seven defensive starters, a first-round running back and the winningest quarterback in the history of college football who will be playing on Sundays this year. Considering the game was at home, I was surprised that Michigan State had to pull it out in the last two minutes. They would have been up a creek without Le'Veon Bell.
jazzcyclist

Postby j-a-m » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:23 am

Marlow wrote:I have little faith that Stanford, Florida or Florida St will live up to their pre-season poll positions. :(

Florida State completely underperformed last season, relative to their preseason ranking, and as a reward they got another preseason top-10 ranking.
j-a-m

Postby gh » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:57 am

Kirk Herbstreit on choosing the playoff teams:

<<...I think the selection committee, they should have to sign a contract saying that they will show up every Saturday in New York, or L.A., or wherever - Phoenix, Atlanta, wherever it's going to be; maybe there are different spots where these guys can fly into - but force them to sit in a room, together, with four or five or six big, huge TVs, and sit there from noon eastern until about 2 in the morning, and watch college football. And if you cannot sign off on that, sorry, you're not gonna vote. If you don't do that, and you just watch scores and highlights late in the evening, and look at scores online, you're gonna have no clue who the real teams are and who should be rewarded at the end of the year....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/art ... z25Q21zgcX
gh

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:19 am

gh wrote:Kirk Herbstreit on choosing the playoff teams:

<<...I think the selection committee, they should have to sign a contract saying that they will show up every Saturday in New York, or L.A., or wherever - Phoenix, Atlanta, wherever it's going to be; maybe there are different spots where these guys can fly into - but force them to sit in a room, together, with four or five or six big, huge TVs, and sit there from noon eastern until about 2 in the morning, and watch college football. And if you cannot sign off on that, sorry, you're not gonna vote. If you don't do that, and you just watch scores and highlights late in the evening, and look at scores online, you're gonna have no clue who the real teams are and who should be rewarded at the end of the year....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/art ... z25Q21zgcX

If we could only be so lucky. Not gonna happen.
odelltrclan

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:52 am

I won't argue with that. Statistics really don't mean a whole lot on their own. The Chicago Tribune today had a story titled, 'Where is the defense?' and noted how few games kept their opponents under 200 yards or so. But how important is that, in say the Oregon game when the Ducks were up 50-3 with only half of the second quarter done and rested a lot of their guys for the rest of the game.
Conor Dary

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:55 am

I know a track official who is the Big 12 basketball official evaluater. He has to watch (on film/tape) every Big 12 game in its entirety, more than 400 games, and grade the officials. Doesn't seem like my dream job.
lonewolf

Postby j-a-m » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 am

gh wrote:Kirk Herbstreit on choosing the playoff teams:

Herbie's got a point there. While I don't think committee members would need to watch games together, I do think they should be expected to actually watch most of the games every weekend.
j-a-m

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:49 am

My impression as well, unfortunately. As for the Oregon game, I actually am not that impressed - it seemed like that danced through that game but it would work less well against a team like Wisconsin (a top 15-20 team), and not particularly well at all against a fast and hard-hitting team (a not real common combo, but on a national scale there are several).

Wisconsin has an almost entirely new coaching staff, with the #2 going off and taking a number of coaches with him. Remember, this is a Wisconsin team that has a (maybe) top=50 recruiting class (and is routinely 40-50 every year). I really would like to see what the SEC coaches would do with such classes and without unlimited depth. I am not sure it is the prime of their coaching skill set.
26mi235

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:14 am

26mi235 wrote:Wisconsin has an almost entirely new coaching staff, with the #2 going off and taking a number of coaches with him. Remember, this is a Wisconsin team that has a (maybe) top=50 recruiting class (and is routinely 40-50 every year). I really would like to see what the SEC coaches would do with such classes and without unlimited depth. I am not sure it is the prime of their coaching skill set.

To do well at schools that don't get the blue chips athletes, coaches can't be internet recruiters (eg. Urban Meyer, Mack Brown). Both Wisconsin and Boise State had six players drafted in this year's NFL draft, proving that there are plenty of great football players out there who are being overlooked.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:19 am

26mi235 wrote:As for the Oregon game, I actually am not that impressed

When it got to 50-10 at half, they totally took their foot off the gas. Until then it was a track meet with the gun going off for the nest race as soon as the previous one ended. Their ultra-fast play tempo (not just no-huddle - the ball is snapped within seconds of the official placing it down) pays its largest dividends in the 4th quarter when the other team's D can't can't catch their breath. I watched them wear down Stanford for the last two years. If they had gone at regular tempo, I'm convinced Luck could have beaten them, but their play-calling, team speed, and great individual talent is one thing; the tempo is the Killer App. Their clash with USC should be epic and whoever wins that . . . should . . . be playing at the end of the season. (I still think OKla St could be a big factor then also, we'll see.) I refuse to believe anyone will beat Bama though.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:49 am

Marlow wrote:When it got to 50-10 at half, they totally took their foot off the gas. Until then it was a track meet with the gun going off for the nest race as soon as the previous one ended. Their ultra-fast play tempo (not just no-huddle - the ball is snapped within seconds of the official placing it down) pays its largest dividends in the 4th quarter when the other team's D can't can't catch their breath. I watched them wear down Stanford for the last two years. If they had gone at regular tempo, I'm convinced Luck could have beaten them, but their play-calling, team speed, and great individual talent is one thing; the tempo is the Killer App.

You'll notice that in recent years, Oregon has struggled in season openers and bowl games (eg. Boise St. LSU, Ohio State, Auburn), when teams have plenty of time to get ready for their tempo. Last year LSU prepared for their showdown with Oregon as though they were going to be running a track meet. At one point late in the second half when Oregon is used to seeing their opponents' tongues dragging, the LSU defense was beating the Oregon offense back to the line of scrimmage and started mocking Darren Thomas, asking him what's taking so long.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Oregon has struggled . . . when teams have plenty of time to get ready for their tempo.

True dat. But as good as LaMichael was for the Ducks last year, DeAnthony (I see a trend here!) is a magnitude more dangerous now. There may be teams that will break the tempo, but no one will shut down their O. Outscore them . . . maybe.
Marlow

Postby Davidokun » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:23 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Boise State was decimated by the NFL, including seven defensive starters, a first-round running back and the winningest quarterback in the history of college football who will be playing on Sundays this year.

Doubtful, unless you mean Madden NFL 13.

Detroit Lions unofficial depth chart
Davidokun

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Davidokun wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Boise State was decimated by the NFL, including seven defensive starters, a first-round running back and the winningest quarterback in the history of college football who will be playing on Sundays this year.

Doubtful, unless you mean Madden NFL 13.

Detroit Lions unofficial depth chart

Okay. Let me be more precise in my language wisenheimer. Boise State was decimated by the NFL, including seven defensive starters, a first-round running back and the winningest quarterback in the history of college football who will be on NFL regular season rosters drawing full NFL salaries.

And keep in mind that Moore wasn't even one of the Broncos that was drafted in April.
jazzcyclist

Postby Davidokun » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:57 am

The way I read your original post, "playing on Sundays" refers solely to Kellen Moore. This statement piqued my interest, because the only thing I remembered about the professional phase of his career is that he was not drafted. A little research revealed that he signed a free-agent contract with the Lions, but is third-string behind the award-winning, but injury-prone, Matthew Stafford, and an experienced backup, Shaun Hill. So, as I wrote, I doubt that Moore will get to play this year.
Davidokun

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:43 am

Penn State goes down again.

By the way, what is with Auburn? They really suck. I guess Newton is that good.
Conor Dary

Postby odelltrclan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Glad to see the Pac 12 getting some nice wins.

3 new coaches this year in the South (UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State) and all with nice wins today. Arizona clobbers Oklahoma State and UCLA beats Nebraska. Arizona State has solved their disciplinary problems and drastic underachieving under Erickson and appear to have an offensive juggernaut so far. Oregon State knocks off Wisconsin.

Going to be a fun year!
odelltrclan

Postby Pego » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:26 am

odelltrclan wrote:Going to be a fun year!

Not for the Wisconsin fans. Badgers offense looks positively dreadful. It will be a mediocre season at best :( .
Pego

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:10 am

Okla St

Or not. Sorry, lonewolf.
Arizona dropped 59 on them yesterday! :shock:
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:23 am

Marlow wrote:
Okla St

Or not. Sorry, lonewolf.
Arizona dropped 59 on them yesterday! :shock:

It was foolish to guage the Cowboys based on a beatdown of a FCS team that was 1-10 last year.
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:39 am

Pego wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:Going to be a fun year!

Not for the Wisconsin fans. Badgers offense looks positively dreadful. It will be a mediocre season at best :( .

Yes, as odel says, the Pac 12 looks pretty good so far, with the Ducks leading the way. :D But sadly for Pego, the Big Ten really looks pretty dismal this season. Wisconsin wasn't so hot against a pretty ordinary OSU.
Conor Dary

Next