Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby guru » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Strong start to the series' penultimate summer. Walt's plan to deal with Gus' computer - and it's surveillance footage of the lab - at the police evidence room was ingenious.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 am

Interesting article in today's NYTimes about that electromagnetic thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/16/arts/ ... l?ref=arts
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:34 am

And also in the New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... g-bad.html

And in the Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ad/259860/

Rare praise and adulation for a TV show watched only by the cognoscente.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby guru » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:54 pm

It's going to be interesting to see where this hidden Cayman bank account of Gus', revealed behind the picture broken in the magnet melee, goes
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby gh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 pm

guru wrote:Strong start to the series' penultimate summer. Walt's plan to deal with Gus' computer - and it's surveillance footage of the lab - at the police evidence room was ingenious.


not remotely ingenious; I've seen it before. I think by Sipowicz and the David Caruso character early in NYPD Blue.

They had a camera/computer they needed erased, so they went to a shop and bought the biggest magnet they could find and chucked it through a store window. It then got tagged as evidence and put in the locker, and poof.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby guru » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Of course the problem for Walt's crew, unlike the scenario you describe from NYPD Blue - they didnt have access to the evidence room. Best part was Walt really giving the magnet the juice - tilting the truck against the wall of the police station lol
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:30 pm

gh wrote:
guru wrote:Strong start to the series' penultimate summer. Walt's plan to deal with Gus' computer - and it's surveillance footage of the lab - at the police evidence room was ingenious.


not remotely ingenious; I've seen it before. I think by Sipowicz and the David Caruso character early in NYPD Blue.

They had a camera/computer they needed erased, so they went to a shop and bought the biggest magnet they could find and chucked it through a store window. It then got tagged as evidence and put in the locker, and poof.


I remember that. It was pretty funny.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby j-a-m » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:43 am

jeremyp wrote: watched only by the cognoscente.

Don't even know what that word means; watching it nonetheless...
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:06 am

j-a-m wrote:
jeremyp wrote: watched only by the cognoscente.

Don't even know what that word means; watching it nonetheless...

It's O.K. Rabble allowed as well! :D
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby gh » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 pm

<<...The fifth and final season of one of the greatest shows in television history...>>

An over-the-top review by a local reviewer who usually looks at more "classy" things

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/B ... 702570.php
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby gh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:52 am

oooo! lots to catch up on since the Oly break!
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby guru » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:54 am

gh wrote:oooo! lots to catch up on since the Oly break!



Brother, wait until you get to this week's episode(#5 - Dead Freight). Perhaps the best episode yet, with an ending that will shock you - even for this show.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:38 am

guru wrote:
gh wrote:oooo! lots to catch up on since the Oly break!



Brother, wait until you get to this week's episode(#5 - Dead Freight). Perhaps the best episode yet, with an ending that will shock you - even for this show.


Glad you gave a spoiler alert as I am catching up with TV shows since Olys. I think I read somewhere that Gilligan said: "Walt is going to start out as Mr. Chips and end up as Scarface."
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby j-a-m » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:29 pm

guru wrote:Brother, wait until you get to this week's episode(#5 - Dead Freight). Perhaps the best episode yet, with an ending that will shock you - even for this show.

Or as they say, "the episode you can't afford to miss" ... agreed, probably best episode yet.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby JRM » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:29 pm

j-a-m wrote:
guru wrote:Brother, wait until you get to this week's episode(#5 - Dead Freight). Perhaps the best episode yet, with an ending that will shock you - even for this show.

Or as they say, "the episode you can't afford to miss" ... agreed, probably best episode yet.


I have to say, though, between the electromagnetic truck in the season opener and what happened this episode, the "A-Team / MacGyver" stuff is getting to be a bit much.
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby gh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 pm

j-a-m wrote:
guru wrote:Brother, wait until you get to this week's episode(#5 - Dead Freight). Perhaps the best episode yet, with an ending that will shock you - even for this show.

Or as they say, "the episode you can't afford to miss" ... agreed, probably best episode yet.


mega-dittos! Channeling the best of Ocean's 11, and then turning into something worthy of Tarantino. Catching up on 3 episodes on short order after London return was indeed a treat.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby guru » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:03 pm

guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 am

Great spot on review in the New Yorker.
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/t ... n_nussbaum
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby guru » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Holy crap!
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby lonewolf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:57 am

I have not seen an episode of "Breaking Bad". I was intrigued by the comments of BB addicts to the point of considering trying to catch up the plot.
Nope. The review is enough for me. Glad I missed it.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby gh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:49 pm

guru wrote:Holy crap!


In spades!

Do you know how long a 10 months it's gonna be from next Sunday night until the final 8 episodes?! (episodes which have long been in the can of course) (bastards)
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:51 am

gh wrote:
guru wrote:Holy crap!


In spades!

Do you know how long a 10 months it's gonna be from next Sunday night until the final 8 episodes?! (episodes which have long been in the can of course) (bastards)


Apparently in keeping with Walt's descent he will have a nuclear weapon by then. The question now is for us to guess the manner of his demise. Some guesses: 1. Skyler cuts his nuts off. 2. Jessie comes back and cooks up a batch with nitro in it. 3. His brother in law kills him and takes over the business, dumps his wife, and marries Skyler.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jhc68 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:59 am

Lonewolf, you'd have to start from the first episode and work forward. The show is like a 50 hour movie that ratchets up with each episode. Dropping in as you did for one of the last chapters without following the situations and the character development would not be an appealing experience, as you found out!
jhc68
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby lonewolf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Yep, I'll just let this one go.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby gh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:29 pm

for the few bucks that retrieval of some sort costs, allow me to insist... go for it!
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby lonewolf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Its the 50 hours that scares me off. :)
Maybe I will have more time to kill this winter.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 am

It is on netflix streaming. I may give it a go since it seems to be popular here. When I was in Eugene last fall, the folks I stayed with were big fans of Battlestar Galatica on Scifi. I hadn't even heard of it, but watched the first couple of episodes and found it so fascinating I ended up watching the entire series in about 2 weeks on netflix.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby gh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:15 pm

lonewolf wrote:Its the 50 hours that scares me off. :)
Maybe I will have more time to kill this winter.


Here's the good news; it's actually only about 40 hours, since the sans-commercials episodes only last 45-50 minutes :mrgreen:
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:00 am

Conor Dary wrote:It is on netflix streaming. I may give it a go since it seems to be popular here. When I was in Eugene last fall, the folks I stayed with were big fans of Battlestar Galatica on Scifi. I hadn't even heard of it, but watched the first couple of episodes and found it so fascinating I ended up watching the entire series in about 2 weeks on netflix.


I agree about BSG. I got it on Netflix because metacritic was high on it. I'd seen 1 episode of the original U.S. series and was not sure about trying it again. The Canadians did a bang up job and it ended up being our favorite ongoing series. Then we tried "Friday Night Lights" for the above mentioned reason and fell in love with that.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby gh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 am

Canadians had nothing to do with BG other than provide cheap sights to film, as with lots of TV shows that require exteriors.

Vancouver doubles for San Francisco a lot; they key is when you look across what purports to be San Francisco Bay and can see snow on the mountains.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby j-a-m » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 am

jeremyp wrote:Then we tried "Friday Night Lights" for the above mentioned reason and fell in love with that.

Friday Night Lights was such a great show. At least now one of the actors is also part of Breaking Bad ...
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:16 pm

gh wrote:

Vancouver doubles for San Francisco a lot; they key is when you look across what purports to be San Francisco Bay and can see snow on the mountains.


I remember watching one movie a while back that was suppose to be in Chicago and in the background were mountains.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Speaking of Canada, someone has a sweet tooth.

    Quebec Whodunit: 1/4 of Province’s Syrup Reserves Go Missing

    Forget about the upcoming election in Quebec, the big news out of the province is the huge breach of the province’s strategic reserve of maple syrup.

    Sticky-fingered thieves made off with almost 30 million Canadian dollars (US$30.4 million) worth of maple syrup from a reserve warehouse in rural Quebec, the provincial body responsible for managing the production of maple syrup said late Thursday. That’s more than a quarter of the province’s extra supply—stored each year to protect producers’ from the ups and downs of global supply and demand.

http://blogs.wsj.com/canadarealtime/201 ... o-missing/
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby gh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:21 pm

Heisenberg must've figured out how to use maple syrup as a precursor for meth production.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:26 pm

gh wrote:Canadians had nothing to do with BG other than provide cheap sights to film, as with lots of TV shows that require exteriors.


According to IMDB it was filmed entirely in Canada. I erred as to who was behind it, yet there were many Canadian actors in it. Sky TV, a British company did the TV series after the initial first episodes. Many of the directors were not American.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby JRM » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 pm

jeremyp wrote:
gh wrote:Canadians had nothing to do with BG other than provide cheap sights to film, as with lots of TV shows that require exteriors.


According to IMDB it was filmed entirely in Canada. I erred as to who was behind it, yet there were many Canadian actors in it. Sky TV, a British company did the TV series after the initial first episodes. Many of the directors were not American.


Yes, BSG had a predominantly Canadian (and British) cast, save for Edward James Olmos and a few others, and was effectively a Canadian production. It wasn't simply the location. Noted Canadian actors include Col Tigh, Boomer, Tyrol, Six, Helo/Agathon, Gaeta, most of the Cylons, Dr. Cottle, etc.... Apollo and Baltar were Brits, and of course Adama was EJO (whom I had the opportunity to see speak at Pomona College in 2003, but skipped -- because at that point I only knew him as Lt. Castillo from Miami Vice...). President Roslin is also American, more noted for her Oscar nominated role in "Dances with Wolves," and my claim-to-fame with her is being on the same Southwest Airlines flight from LA-Philadelphia a few Xmases ago (and having quite a long and pleasant conversation, as she was doing her Christmas cards).

Also, I went to Vancouver for a conference in 2005 (at the height of the series), and was delighted to stay in a hotel immediately adjacent to the Caprica high command building!
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby j-a-m » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:53 pm

gh wrote:Heisenberg must've figured out how to use maple syrup as a precursor for meth production.

Heisenberg would've stolen a smaller amount, replaced it with water, and nobody would've discovered the theft yet.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Good article from LA Times about Gilligan and end of season.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... 4913.story
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby JRM » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:04 am

Interesting conclusion to the "season," although I suppose it could be seen coming since the beginning of the show. It'll be a looong wait until next summer!
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:06 pm

That scene in the storeage shed with a mountain of money was classic. He's rich on paper, and that's it. He can't/won't spend it. If only Skyler would take 1/3 of it and split with the child!
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests