50's Baseball Nicknames


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:28 pm

cullman wrote:
JayIsMe wrote:Here's a couple from the 60s-
The Dominican Dandy (just had an anniversary of sorts)
Stretch

Juan Marichal and Willie McCovey! How about Baby Bull.


Orlando Cepeda.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:55 pm

It is indeed Orlando Cepeda!

Lots of Giants and Dodgers fans but I guess no Stinkees fans. Nobody has figured out who "Bullet Bob" is...he played for that other New York team in the 50s.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:55 am

cullman wrote:It is indeed Orlando Cepeda!

Lots of Giants and Dodgers fans but I guess no Stinkees fans. Nobody has figured out who "Bullet Bob" is...he played for that other New York team in the 50s.



Is that Bob Turley ?
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 am

Yes it is. Bob Turley had 2 wins and a save in Games 5, 6 and 7 on three consecutive days and was named the 1958 World Series MVP.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby Davidokun » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:46 pm

gh wrote:Didn't he set a record for the most homers ever with fewest ribbies? As in, most homers (49 or so?) with fewer than 100 RBI. ????

I looked it up on the MLB Web site. In 1963, Killebrew hit 45 home runs with 96 RBI, which established a new record for most home runs in a single season with less than 100 RBI. The previous record holder was Mickey Mantle. Killebrew's record has since been matched by Barry Bonds, then surpassed by Alfonso Soriano.

All-time leaders:

Code: Select all
Player             Team        Year   HR   RBI
----------------------------------------------
Alfonso Soriano    Nationals   2006   46   95
Harmon Killebrew   Twins       1963   45   96
Barry Bonds        Giants      2003   45   90
Hank Aaron         Braves      1969   44   97
Davey Johnson      Braves      1973   43   99
Matt Williams      Giants      1994   43   96
Duke Snider        Dodgers     1957   40   92
Mickey Mantle      Yankees     1958   42   97
Mickey Mantle      Yankees     1960   40   94
Rico Petrocelli    Red Sox     1969   40   97
Hank Aaron         Braves      1973   40   96
Darrell Evans      Tigers      1985   40   94
Ken Griffey, Jr.   Mariners    1994   40   90
Adam Dunn          Reds        2006   40   92
Adrian Gonzalez    Padres      2009   40   99


Killebrew hit 49 twice, in 1964 and 1969, with 111 and 140 RBI, respectively.
Davidokun
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:31 am
Location: Brea, California

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm late seeing this thread (too much time spent on track!).

The last names are the easy part of the question, here are the first names of the people whose names haven't been identified yet:

The Man -Stanley Frank Musial
Shot Gun--didn't know this one
Vinegar Bend-Wilmer Mizell
Whitey-Edward Charles Ford
Red-Albert Schoendienst
Scooter-Phil Rizzuto
Pee Wee-Harold Reese
Duke-Edwin Snider
Yogi-Lawrence Peter Berra
Smokey-Forrest Burgess
The Lip-Leo Durocher
Country-Enos Slaughter
Reading Rifle-Carl Furillo
Mad Monk-Russ Meyer
Paw Paw--don't know

I also don't know the $64,000 Question question.

Here are some quiz questions of mine:

Why was Orlando Cepeda called the Baby Bull, and what was his nickname that teammates used?

Other nicknames:
Kitten
Kitty
Ducky
Minnie
Rocky
Ozark Ike
Daddy Wags
Ding Dong
Put Put
Oisk
Turk (two of them that I can think of)
The Walking Man
Doctor Strangeglove (but not known by that until after the movie)
Deacon
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Minnie ( Orestes ) Minoso
Turk Lown (sp? )

Rocky Bridges

Oisk Carl Erskine
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby KDFINE » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:56 pm

DJ. Correct for the Mad Monk and the Reading Rifle (a.k.a. Skoonj). I'm over 60 so i won't answer any of the names put up by others (unless they are still up there for another 3 weeks or so). I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan and a fan of Furillo and can honestly say that I was unaware of his nicknames until I came across them in the Baseball Encyclopedia. Going through it made me realize that a lot of ballplayers had often obscure nicknames.
I'm happy to see that "Paw Paw" is still on the board. i was aware of it when he played.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:18 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:Minnie ( Orestes ) Minoso
Turk Lown (sp? )

Rocky Bridges

Oisk Carl Erskine


But what were the first names for Minoso, Lown and Bridges? The full name for another Turk?

There was also a Rocky Nelson, but I don't remember his first name, so you're working on the Rocky I know!
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 pm

dj wrote:Why was Orlando Cepeda called the Baby Bull, and what was his nickname that teammates used?

His father's nickname was Perucho aka The Bull. I believe Orlando's teammates called him Cha Cha.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby gh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 pm

don't forget "Big Klu" (painfully obvios)
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 am

cullman wrote:
dj wrote:Why was Orlando Cepeda called the Baby Bull, and what was his nickname that teammates used?

His father's nickname was Perucho aka The Bull. I believe Orlando's teammates called him Cha Cha.


Correct on both.
What's the answer on your $64,00 Question? I know What's on second, so I should ask Who's the answer? But Who's on first!
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:01 am

gh wrote:don't forget "Big Klu" (painfully obvios)



And he cut off the sleeves of his jersey to show off his muscles....
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby tandfman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:34 am

dj wrote:I'm late seeing this thread (too much time spent on track!).

The last names are the easy part of the question, here are the first names of the people whose names haven't been identified yet:

The Man -Stanley Frank Musial
Shot Gun--didn't know this one
Vinegar Bend-Wilmer Mizell
Whitey-Edward Charles Ford
Red-Albert Schoendienst
Scooter-Phil Rizzuto
Pee Wee-Harold Reese
Duke-Edwin Snider
Yogi-Lawrence Peter Berra
Smokey-Forrest Burgess
The Lip-Leo Durocher
Country-Enos Slaughter
Reading Rifle-Carl Furillo
Mad Monk-Russ Meyer
Paw Paw--don't know

I also don't know the $64,000 Question question.

Here are some quiz questions of mine:

Why was Orlando Cepeda called the Baby Bull, and what was his nickname that teammates used?

Other nicknames:
Kitten
Kitty
Ducky
Minnie
Rocky
Ozark Ike
Daddy Wags
Ding Dong
Put Put
Oisk
Turk (two of them that I can think of)
The Walking Man
Doctor Strangeglove (but not known by that until after the movie)
Deacon

There is no such thing as too much time spent on track!

Shuba's first name was correctly identified as George early in the thread.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:09 am

Who was an "astronomical" outfielder for the Cardinals in the late 50's, then for the Dodgers ?
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:35 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Who was an "astronomical" outfielder for the Cardinals in the late 50's, then for the Dodgers ?


Astronomical got me to think of John Blue Moon Odom. But wasn't he a pitcher and more in the 70's with the A's.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Who was an "astronomical" outfielder for the Cardinals in the late 50's, then for the Dodgers ?


Wally Moon?
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:24 am

dj wrote:What's the answer on your $64,00 Question? I know What's on second, so I should ask Who's the answer? But Who's on first!

I did a little research through my archives because something didn't seem right about this piece of trivia that bar room baseball buffs have been throwing around for decades. :? The show was in 1955 and the playoff game was in 1951 which would make the incident pretty fresh in the minds of any Dodger or Giants fan.

Anyhow the answer is Myrtle Power, a 71 year old grandmother and Brooklyn Dodgers fan. She won $32,000 by correctly answering:
"The official record books list seven players (as of 1955) who are credited with over 3,000 hits during their careers in the Major Leagues. Ty Cobb heads the list with 4 191 hits garnered in his 24 years of play. Name the remaining 6 players with a lifetime total of 3,000 or more hits."
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 am

...Rocky Colavito is another Rocky and Daddy Wags is Leon Wagner.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:16 pm

dj wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:Who was an "astronomical" outfielder for the Cardinals in the late 50's, then for the Dodgers ?


Wally Moon?



dj got it !
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby KDFINE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:04 am

Since the last post was nearly a week ago I suppose I can bring myself back from my self-imposed exile and interject some hints to still unanswered questions.
I know the answers to:
Kitten - a "perfect" pitcher;
Ducky - HOF from the 30s & 40s;
The Walking Man - almost as many bases on balls as hits;
Dr. Strangeglove - a power hitting first baseman;
and of course, since I posted him, Paw Paw, a Yankee Killer in his own right, he was for a while a teammate of the "Yankee Killer" Frank Lary.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:16 am

KDFINE wrote:Since the last post was nearly a week ago I suppose I can bring myself back from my self-imposed exile and interject some hints to still unanswered questions.
I know the answers to:
Kitten - a "perfect" pitcher;
Ducky - HOF from the 30s & 40s;
The Walking Man - almost as many bases on balls as hits;
Dr. Strangeglove - a power hitting first baseman;
and of course, since I posted him, Paw Paw, a Yankee Killer in his own right, he was for a while a teammate of the "Yankee Killer" Frank Lary.



Is "Kitten" Harvey Haddix ?
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:22 am

dukehjsteve wrote:
KDFINE wrote:Since the last post was nearly a week ago I suppose I can bring myself back from my self-imposed exile and interject some hints to still unanswered questions.
I know the answers to:
Kitten - a "perfect" pitcher;
Ducky - HOF from the 30s & 40s;
The Walking Man - almost as many bases on balls as hits;
Dr. Strangeglove - a power hitting first baseman;
and of course, since I posted him, Paw Paw, a Yankee Killer in his own right, he was for a while a teammate of the "Yankee Killer" Frank Lary.



Is "Kitten" Harvey Haddix ?


Yes.

And the nicknames are restricted to players in the 1950s, so Ducky Medwick (originally Ducky Wucky, but media members tended to drop the Wucky) is not correct.
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby KDFINE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:39 am

DJ. As soon as you rejected Medwick it clicked with me as to who the Ducky of the 50s was. He was a light hitting powerless utility infielder, who nonetheless managed to play 19 years in the big league (which surprised me when I just looked him up). If I hadn't have had his baseball card as a kid I probably would have forgotten him.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 am

KDFINE wrote:DJ. As soon as you rejected Medwick it clicked with me as to who the Ducky of the 50s was. He was a light hitting powerless utility infielder, who nonetheless managed to play 19 years in the big league (which surprised me when I just looked him up). If I hadn't have had his baseball card as a kid I probably would have forgotten him.


And his link to T&F is . . . ?
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:19 am

JayIsMe wrote:and one from a little farther back- Three Fingers


Mordecai Three-Finger Brown. Got his hand caught in a feed chopper on the family farm as a youth. Pitched mostly for the Cubs, on their last World Series winning team in 1908.

Includes pics of his hand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordecai_Brown
DrJay
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:20 am

Who was "Doggie"?
Last edited by DrJay on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:31 am

The Destroyer?
Last edited by DrJay on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am

Blue Moon?
DrJay
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

Spaceman?
DrJay
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 am

DrJay wrote:Blue Moon?



Odom.
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 am

The Hawk?
DrJay
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 am

2 more 50's, but don't ask me their first names... I don't know them:

Peanuts

Puddin'Head
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 am

DrJay wrote:The Hawk?


Harrelsen
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 am

Slats
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:03 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:
DrJay wrote:The Hawk?


Harrelsen


More than one Hawk. I was thinking Clay "The Hawk" Carroll, 1970s reliever for the Reds. His 37 saves in 1972 was an NL record.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:41 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:
DrJay wrote:Blue Moon?



Odom.


I already got that one....
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby KDFINE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:36 pm

The Hawk was from the 60s not the 50s.
I know Puddin' Head. He played 3rd base, and was one of the first baseball cards that I got.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby KDFINE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Ducky's link to T&F? I haven't a clue. I guess I'll cheat and look him up on Wikipedia but I won't ruin it by giving his name on this board (for now).
I know Peanuts but don't know his real first name.
The baseball encyclopedia lists him as Peanuts and gives his given name in small print.
Another from the 50s was Chico. The BB encyclopedia lists him that way, and gives his given name in small print. This one should be relatively easy.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:50 pm

KDFINE wrote:Ducky's link to T&F? I haven't a clue. I guess I'll cheat and look him up on Wikipedia but I won't ruin it by giving his name on this board (for now).
I know Peanuts but don't know his real first name.
The baseball encyclopedia lists him as Peanuts and gives his given name in small print.
Another from the 50s was Chico. The BB encyclopedia lists him that way, and gives his given name in small print. This one should be relatively easy.



Chico's gotta be Carrasquel.. and I always have assumed that was his real name.
( Boy I dug deep into the head for this one ! )
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests