When Track Became Big

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

When Track Became Big

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:43 am

A double happy birthday today (Wednesday) to two Olympic champions with a total of four Olympic gold medals.

Our birthday pair are a total of 133 years old today. Both athletes are still alive and kicking.

One of these two is a man while the other is one year older.

Both people were born in the U.S. east of the Mississippi River.

The older of the two competed in two Olympic Games and the younger of the two set a world record in the Olympic Games.

You can rule out the hurdles with these two, however one of them competed in a field event.

North America is where both athletes won Olympic gold medals.

Asia is where the older of the two won two Olympic gold medals.

Enough clues. You can figure these two famous Olympic champions. Name both.
DoubleRBar

Re: When Track Became Big

Postby errolM » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 am

Pretty sure the man is Bob Beamon - remembered his birthday since I was about 10, sad case that I am. Does Mexico count as North America?

He's 66 (and doesn't that sound weird..), other one has to be from the Tokyo. Tyus? Or has she 4 golds (relays 64/68)?
errolM

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am

Very good, errolM, it is Wyomia Tyus and Bob Beamon with birthdays today. Yes, Mexico City is in North America and yes, Wyomia won three Olympic gold medals (two in Mexico). Bob was born one year later (in New York) and the rest is history.
DoubleRBar

Postby KDFINE » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:41 pm

I didn't realize that it was Tyus' birthday also. Since I was also born on August 29, 1946 in Queens, New York I've always felt close to Beamon. And you think you have trouble believing that Bob is 66 today!
KDFINE