Roc

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Roc

Postby DoubleRBar » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:06 am

Happy 50th birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion with two Olympic golds. Born in Vienna, our birthday athlete was also pretty good at another sport.

A graduate of a university founded in 1787, this athlete was a NCAA champion, a Goodwill Games champion, as well as a world record holder.

Gene Kelly (Singing' in the Rain) and Bill Cullen (The Price is Right) both graduated from the same university as our birthday athlete.

Over 28,000 students attend the school our birthday person attended.

This is not the first time we have celebrated this athlete's birthday.

Don't look to the field events for our birthday person's name.

Who is this champion turning 50 years today?
DoubleRBar

Re: Roc

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:40 am

The college founded in 1787 scares me a bit, but I'll take a shot at Roger Kingdom. But did Pittsburgh ( the city ) even exist then, or was it still Fort Duquesne ?!

But I'll stick with Kingdom. Nothing wrong with a guess is there ?
dukehjsteve

Postby DoubleRBar » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:51 am

Happy birthday today to Roger Kingdom and congratulations, dukehjsteve. Kingdom, of course, won the 110 hurdles in Los Angeles and in Seoul. Nice work, dukehjsteve. By the way, Roger set his world record at the Weltklasse in Zurich. The 2012 version of that meet comes this Thursday. Any world records this Thursday?
DoubleRBar

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 am

DoubleRBar wrote:Happy birthday today to Roger Kingdom and congratulations, dukehjsteve. Kingdom, of course, won the 110 hurdles in Los Angeles and in Seoul. Nice work, dukehjsteve. By the way, Roger set his world record at the Weltklasse in Zurich. The 2012 version of that meet comes this Thursday. Any world records this Thursday?

I say Aries Merritt 12.85
dukehjsteve

Postby cladthin » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:59 pm

DoubleRBar wrote:Happy 50th birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion with two Olympic golds. Born in Vienna, our birthday athlete was also pretty good at another sport.

A graduate of a university founded in 1787, this athlete was a NCAA champion, a Goodwill Games champion, as well as a world record holder.

Gene Kelly (Singing' in the Rain) and Bill Cullen (The Price is Right) both graduated from the same university as our birthday athlete.

Over 28,000 students attend the school our birthday person attended.

This is not the first time we have celebrated this athlete's birthday.

Don't look to the field events for our birthday person's name.

Who is this champion turning 50 years today?

As someone above guessed, this must be Roger Kingdom-Vienna, Ga.

Sorry, missed the answer provided above. As I recall seeing years ago, there is a sign at the rest area off of I-75 that mentions RK coming from Vienna.
cladthin

Postby DoubleRBar » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:24 pm

Yes, Vienna, Georgia. Wouldn't it be nice to see a new world record Thursday in the 110 hurdles?
DoubleRBar

Postby cladthin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:15 am

DoubleRBar wrote:Yes, Vienna, Georgia. Wouldn't it be nice to see a new world record Thursday in the 110 hurdles?

If conditions are good, it could very well go. It would be a great way to cap what has been a career year/season for Merritt.
cladthin