Penn State/State Pen [split]


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:52 pm

jeremyp wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:1. Paterno hired Mr. Sandusky as a full-time assistant coach
2. [Paterno] made him Penn State’s defensive coordinator
3. The two men disliked each other almost from the start
4. Paterno thought Mr. Sandusky was a glory hound who wanted his job.
5. Their styles were different.

What's wrong with this picture? :shock:


Eisenhower and Patton? And we all know what happened to Patton. At least us older guys do.

??!! Eisenhower was actually a big fan of Patton's ruthlessness, because it took the pressure off him. Eisenhower was only doing the politically expedient thing when he relieved Patton of command of the 7th Army. Patton, however, continued to play a vital role in the ETO for the rest of the war and Eisenhower treated him as the go-to guy he really was. Patton was an a**h**e, to be sure, but that's what a World War requires many times.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Marlow wrote:
??!! Eisenhower was actually a big fan of Patton's ruthlessness, because it took the pressure off him. Eisenhower was only doing the politically expedient thing when he relieved Patton of command of the 7th Army. Patton, however, continued to play a vital role in the ETO for the rest of the war and Eisenhower treated him as the go-to guy he really was. Patton was an a**h**e, to be sure, but that's what a World War requires many times.


Thomas Ricks on Patton:

    I've had some fun over the last couple of weeks quoting some of Gen. George Patton's loonier comments and more repulsive observations, so it is only fair to conclude these excerpts by noting that I think Patton, for all his flaws, was a great general.

    This is his great contradiction. He hated everybody, and was spewing bile at the end of his life. Yet as a commander, he resembled Stonewall Jackson, having a great feel for the pattern of the campaign, constantly noting changes, calculating opportunities and disconcerting his enemies. For example, when he heard that Lucas would command the Anzio landing, he worried that that officer lacked sufficient drive to get to the high ground as soon as possible-a prescient concern. Likewise, in the fall of '44, he privately observed that by going quiet in the Ardennes, and using the area to post recuperating and green units, that Bradley was giving the Germans a chance to build up without being harrassed-another important bit of foresight.

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/20 ... at_captain
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
lonewolf wrote:I dunno but it suggests to me that Paterno was complicit in the cover up to protect Penn State, not to protect Sandusky.
No difference, no distinction, no excuse.


That is also my take. Sandusky was probably good at his job, which in the end was all P. cared about.

There's no doubt that he was complicit in the coverup, but I don't see how covering up protected Penn State. Syracuse hasn't taken the hit that Penn State has taken for its pedophile assistant coach. Furthermore, since Paterno put Sandusky out to the pasture soon after the 1998 incident, covering up didn't help him keep a valuable assistant on board either. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sandusky's resignation came soon after the first known incident.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby lonewolf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Good points, jazz. Eventually, of course, it did not protect Penn State. I agree Paterno probably eased Sandusky out..but still does not exonerate Paterno and the university administration.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby lonewolf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Reminds me of a non-related Patton story.
Twenty years ago, I worked with a LJ official, Bill, a rancher out around San Angelo, TX who had been a rodeo cowboy pre-WW2.
Bill, a wiry, taciturn guy, wore a belt buckle that curiously read "All Around Cowboy" ETO (European Theatre Operations) 1945. One day, changing shirts, I noted his upper body bore puncture wounds and was otherwise heavily scarred. I assumed they were battle wounds but he said, "Nope, half war, half bull."
Seems Patton had discovered him while visiting hospitals, learned of his cowboy background and when Bill returned to duty, created the position of European Rodeo Director, gave him trucks, men and confiscatory livestock authority. Bill put on rodeos all over Western Europe for the duration..never got shot again but took a few bull horns.
He was also a big time rodeo judge and was in the arena when Lane Frost was killed by a bull at 1989 Cheyenne Frontier Days.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jeremyp » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Marlow wrote:??!! Eisenhower was actually a big fan of Patton's ruthlessness, because it took the pressure off him. Eisenhower was only doing the politically expedient thing when he relieved Patton of command of the 7th Army. Patton, however, continued to play a vital role in the ETO for the rest of the war and Eisenhower treated him as the go-to guy he really was. Patton was an a**h**e, to be sure, but that's what a World War requires many times.

This report shows that Patton was much more of a loose cannon in Europe and that Eisenhower and Patton had some serious disagreements based on Patton's self destructive and egocentric behavior.
http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/ww ... neral.aspx
What happened to these best friends? Two men that once considered each other comrades were arguing about major issues. .... One must consider all of Patton's mistakes; not following orders in Sicily, slapping the two soldiers, criticizing Eisenhower in public, and the Knutsford Affairs. Patton could never keep his mouth shut long enough to allow Eisenhower to give him a position of high command. This pattern continued after Eisenhower gave Patton yet another chance as commander of the Third Army, in March of 1944. ...

By giving the Third Army to Patton, he was giving Patton another chance. Ultimately, Patton ruined his chance as commander of the Third Army. Patton ordered the killing of German POWs while surrendering because he said they could not be trusted. Patton's actions were going too far and Eisenhower could not allow this to happen for Patton was going to have to change his ways.

Typically, Patton opened his mouth again, saying that the Nazis were better than the Russians were in Late 1944. He also compared Nazis to Republicans and Democrats because Nazis only cared about themselves as do the Republicans and Democrats. Patton said of the Russians:

Hell, why do we care what those goddamn Russians think? We are going to have to fight them sooner or later, within the next generation. Why not do it now while our Army is intact and the damn Russians can have their hind end kicked back to Russia in three months? We can do it easily with the help of the German troops we have, if we just arm them and take them with us. They hate the bastards.[92]

These actions were all Eisenhower could handle; he could not cover this one up and had no choice but to relieve Patton of his command
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Tuariki » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:05 am

Marlow wrote:
jeremyp wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:1. Paterno hired Mr. Sandusky as a full-time assistant coach
2. [Paterno] made him Penn State’s defensive coordinator
3. The two men disliked each other almost from the start
4. Paterno thought Mr. Sandusky was a glory hound who wanted his job.
5. Their styles were different.

What's wrong with this picture? :shock:


Eisenhower and Patton? And we all know what happened to Patton. At least us older guys do.

??!! Eisenhower was actually a big fan of Patton's ruthlessness, because it took the pressure off him. Eisenhower was only doing the politically expedient thing when he relieved Patton of command of the 7th Army. Patton, however, continued to play a vital role in the ETO for the rest of the war and Eisenhower treated him as the go-to guy he really was. Patton was an a**h**e, to be sure, but that's what a World War requires many times.

In my 4 years at West Point in the early 1970s what seemed obvious to me that the most revered of all USMA alumni by the cadets was Patton. Mad as a meat axe but the General you wanted leading you.
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby gh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:27 pm

And now the silly collateral damage begins. Penn State football games will no longer play Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline:


<<"Sweet Caroline," which is a big fan participation song during games, is being cut because of the lyrics, more specifically the line "touching me, touching you.">>
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby tandfman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:29 pm

The former president of Penn State is now facing criminal charges.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/sport ... -case.html
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:45 am

tandfman wrote:The former president of Penn State is now facing criminal charges.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/sport ... -case.html

I find the logic impeccable:

[He] had been told of an allegation that Sandusky, a former top assistant to the longtime football coach Joe Paterno, had sexually abused a young boy. It was decided that they would approach Sandusky directly, rather than going to outside authorities. Spanier deemed this a “humane and a reasonable way to proceed,” with one caveat: “The only downside for us is if the message isn’t ‘heard’ and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it.”

It is now known that Sandusky continued to sexually abuse young boys for years after.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:00 am

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:The former president of Penn State is now facing criminal charges.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/sport ... -case.html

I find the logic impeccable:

[He] had been told of an allegation that Sandusky, a former top assistant to the longtime football coach Joe Paterno, had sexually abused a young boy. It was decided that they would approach Sandusky directly, rather than going to outside authorities. Spanier deemed this a “humane and a reasonable way to proceed,” with one caveat: “The only downside for us is if the message isn’t ‘heard’ and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it.”

It is now known that Sandusky continued to sexually abuse young boys for years after.

They were seriously delusional to think that Sandusky would quit being a pedophile just because they asked him to. And Syracuse's handling of Bernie Fine shows that they could have all survived this scandal if they had acted more responsibly, despite the fact that Jim Boeheim had his head buried in the sand IMO.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:15 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:The former president of Penn State is now facing criminal charges.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/sport ... -case.html

I find the logic impeccable:

[He] had been told of an allegation that Sandusky, a former top assistant to the longtime football coach Joe Paterno, had sexually abused a young boy. It was decided that they would approach Sandusky directly, rather than going to outside authorities. Spanier deemed this a “humane and a reasonable way to proceed,” with one caveat: “The only downside for us is if the message isn’t ‘heard’ and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it.”

It is now known that Sandusky continued to sexually abuse young boys for years after.

They were seriously delusional to think that Sandusky would quit being a pedophile just because they asked him to. And Syracuse's handling of Bernie Fine shows that they could have all survived this scandal if they had acted more responsibly, despite the fact that Jim Boeheim had his head buried in the sand IMO.


Syracuse lucked out. Sandusky affair had already started. The writing was on the wall.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby lonewolf » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:41 am

Pego wrote:[Syracuse lucked out. Sandusky affair had already started. The writing was on the wall.

Yup. That was my first and final impression too.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Daisy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 am

Lawyer trying to get a retrial. Does this sound a little like a "my dog ate my homework" excuse?
Attorney Joe Amendola said during a hearing in support of a new trial for Sandusky that problems including a broken copy machine prevented him from crafting an adequate defense for the former Penn State assistant football coach.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/mc ... 2389.story
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 am

a broken copy machine prevented him from crafting an adequate defense for the former Penn State assistant football coach.

Hysterical - Poor baby - I hope the judge laughs him out of the court.

"Yes, officer, I understand I was going 30mph over the speed limit, and I ran 2 stop lights and 3 stop signs, and was driving on the wrong side of the road, but MY WIFE changed all the pre-set radio buttons and I was trying to set them back!"
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby lonewolf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am

I think if I were facing a life sentence and my copy machine broke, I would go to Kinkos.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby gh » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:43 am

Wikipedia editors finally have a consensus of sorts on Joe Paterno's entry.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... t-comments
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:26 am

gh wrote:Wikipedia editors finally have a consensus of sorts on Joe Paterno's entry.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... t-comments

He really did so much good for Penn St (beyond his football record) that it's heart-breaking to think his legacy will be (deservedly) so negative. 409 wins (now down to 298) is grossly outweighed by even one child molested during his watch.

Religious dogma stipulates that God has judged Paterno, but his family has to live in the real world where he has been likened to a monster. Such a sad, sad case, all around. :(
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:59 am

IMO, the NCAA had no business sticking its nose in this matter at all. The was a matter for the criminal justice system and Penn State University to deal with, and the NCAA should have let them handle it just as it did for the Baylor basketball murder case. The $60 million dollar money grab was shameful, but par for the course with the amoral NCAA.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:26 am

jazzcyclist wrote:IMO, the NCAA had no business sticking its nose in this matter at all. The was a matter for the criminal justice system and Penn State University to deal with, and the NCAA should have let them handle it just as it did for the Baylor basketball murder case. The $60 million dollar money grab was shameful, but par for the course with the amoral NCAA.



I agree wholeheartedly, for once! :o
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:38 am

jazzcyclist wrote:IMO, the NCAA had no business sticking its nose in this matter at all. The was a matter for the criminal justice system and Penn State University to deal with, and the NCAA should have let them handle it just as it did for the Baylor basketball murder case. The $60 million dollar money grab was shameful, but par for the course with the amoral NCAA.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they had NOT gotten involved, I promise you there would have been a national media firestorm accusing the NCAA of looking the other way and 'not caring' about the victims!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Pego » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 pm

odelltrclan wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:IMO, the NCAA had no business sticking its nose in this matter at all. The was a matter for the criminal justice system and Penn State University to deal with, and the NCAA should have let them handle it just as it did for the Baylor basketball murder case. The $60 million dollar money grab was shameful, but par for the course with the amoral NCAA.



I agree wholeheartedly, for once! :o


So do I. Sanctions on Penn St program are beyond my comprehension. They are punishing innocent next generation.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:IMO, the NCAA had no business sticking its nose in this matter at all. The was a matter for the criminal justice system and Penn State University to deal with, and the NCAA should have let them handle it just as it did for the Baylor basketball murder case. The $60 million dollar money grab was shameful, but par for the course with the amoral NCAA.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they had NOT gotten involved, I promise you there would have been a national media firestorm accusing the NCAA of looking the other way and 'not caring' about the victims!

I don't agree that there would have been backlash against the NCAA, but so what if there was. Does that justify over-stepping their authority and making up new rules that don't exist in its bylaws, just to look sanctimonious? And what's the money grab all about anyway?
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby lonewolf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:44 pm

I don't know/remember/have an opinion of the details of NCAA involvement. I just know Paterno screwed up when he willifully ignored/covered up for Sandusky and deserves all the ignominy he earned.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:44 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:I don't agree that there would have been backlash against the NCAA, but so what if there was.

??!!
I didn't hear a whole lot of national media backlash when the NCAA DID get involved. Whatever amount of backlash there was would have paled in comparison to the sh*t the NCAA would have gotten by doing nothing! The public loves piling-on in these kinds of cases. The NCAA was just covering their 6s by implementing the sanctions they did.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:I don't agree that there would have been backlash against the NCAA, but so what if there was.

??!!
I didn't hear a whole lot of national media backlash when the NCAA DID get involved.

That doesn't mean that there would have been backlash if the NCAA didn't get involved. What's your point? And don't forget that the NCAA took several months before they took any action, and I don't recall anyone in the media demanding action. As a matter of fact, I recall several public sports figures (eg. Lou Holtz, Brent Musburger, Mike Krzyzewski) who accused the NCAA of unnecessarily piling on.
Marlow wrote:[Whatever amount of backlash there was would have paled in comparison to the sh*t the NCAA would have gotten by doing nothing! The public loves piling-on in these kinds of cases.

That's just idle speculation and conjecture. Anyway, public opinion doesn't have a thing to do with the NCAA bylaws.
Marlow wrote:[The NCAA was just covering their 6s by implementing the sanctions they did.

The NCAA was never implicated in any of this, so I don't see how you can say they were covering themselves. Conversely, the district attorney wouldn't have been covering himself if he had brought charges against Paterno if he had found out that he was paying players to play.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby runforlife » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Pego wrote: They are punishing innocent next generation.

That always happens. A coach gets caught with recruiting violations. The coach just gets another coaching job while the school endures the punishment. Not fair but that's the way it is.
runforlife
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Drake Relays: finish line - row 1

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Pego » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:03 pm

runforlife wrote:
Pego wrote: They are punishing innocent next generation.

That always happens. A coach gets caught with recruiting violations. The coach just gets another coaching job while the school endures the punishment. Not fair but that's the way it is.


I know it is. It is still wrong.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby JumboElliott » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:27 pm

Marlow wrote:Religious dogma stipulates that God has judged Paterno, but his family has to live in the real world where he has been likened to a monster. Such a sad, sad case, all around. :(

His family have been playing victim since this started. In a situation where there are actual victims that have been scarred for life I have no sympathy for them.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby JumboElliott » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:31 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:IMO, the NCAA had no business sticking its nose in this matter at all. The was a matter for the criminal justice system and Penn State University to deal with, and the NCAA should have let them handle it just as it did for the Baylor basketball murder case. The $60 million dollar money grab was shameful, but par for the course with the amoral NCAA.

As a resident of Pennsylvania and a former Penn State fan, I'm just sad the NCAA didn't go further and give the program the death penalty. If Penn State was a corporation, there is a zero percent chance that it would still exist today after the criminal conspiracy that went on.

The even more shameful thing is my governor suing the NCAA to try to get it overturned to score political points. That charade, combined with his inaction with the case while he was Attorney General was the direct catalyst for me to switch my party registration from Republican to independent.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:45 am

JumboElliott wrote:His family have been playing victim since this started. In a situation where there are actual victims that have been scarred for life I have no sympathy for them.

How are they NOT victims? They didn't do anything wrong, but have also suffered greatly - obviously no where near as badly as the young boys, but their lives have been ruined nonetheless. Their story is also a tragedy, which does nothing to diminish the tragedy of the boys and their families.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:47 am

JumboElliott wrote:As a resident of Pennsylvania and a former Penn State fan, I'm just sad the NCAA didn't go further and give the program the death penalty. If Penn State was a corporation, there is a zero percent chance that it would still exist today after the criminal conspiracy that went on.

And there is the other side of the argument, jazz. I'm not THAT draconian, but I do think the NCAA had zero choice as to whether they should get involved.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby JumboElliott » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:04 am

Marlow wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:His family have been playing victim since this started. In a situation where there are actual victims that have been scarred for life I have no sympathy for them.

How are they NOT victims? They didn't do anything wrong, but have also suffered greatly - obviously no where near as badly as the young boys, but their lives have been ruined nonetheless. Their story is also a tragedy, which does nothing to diminish the tragedy of the boys and their families.

They've injected themselves (and Paterno's damaged legacy) into the story, and because of that, there are "409" and "JVP" bumper stickers everywhere.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Marlow wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:As a resident of Pennsylvania and a former Penn State fan, I'm just sad the NCAA didn't go further and give the program the death penalty. If Penn State was a corporation, there is a zero percent chance that it would still exist today after the criminal conspiracy that went on.

And there is the other side of the argument, jazz. I'm not THAT draconian, but I do think the NCAA had zero choice as to whether they should get involved.

Zero choice? :?: I don't even know what that means. For the record, I have no sympathy for the folks who covered this up, including Paterno, but my contention is that the punishment should have been meted out by the folks with the proper authority to do it, and the NCAA didn't. I was disappointed that Penn State rolled over the way they did, because if they had challenged it in court, the NCAA wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. This is no different than the police arresting you for being late for work. I'm really shocked the you and Jumbo can't comprehend this concept.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby JumboElliott » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:14 pm

If the government was too gutless to go after them for the numerous Title IX/Clery Act violations, I have no issue with the NCAA doing it, especially because Penn State signed a consent decree.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:39 pm

JumboElliott wrote:If the government was too gutless to go after them for the numerous Title IX/Clery Act violations, I have no issue with the NCAA doing it, especially because Penn State signed a consent decree.

1) Since everyone involved was fired and/or indicted, I don't see how you can accuse the government of gutlessness, and then turn around and applaud the NCAA, who only piled on six months after the government had already dropped the hammer.

2) Your contempt for due process is unfortunate, and as long as this mindset exists, there will always be injustice perpetrated in the name of "doing the right thing". This is the same mindset of the folks who persecuted Muhammad Ali, not because of any law that he had broken, but because he was deemed insufficiently patriotic during wartime. This is just one of many examples I can give of this sort of injustice.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:51 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:This is no different than the police arresting you for being late for work.
I'm really shocked the you and Jumbo can't comprehend this concept.

A. Completely faulty analogy
B. How did it play out? That's called real life. I think you CAN understand that concept.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby JumboElliott » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:21 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:If the government was too gutless to go after them for the numerous Title IX/Clery Act violations, I have no issue with the NCAA doing it, especially because Penn State signed a consent decree.

1) Since everyone involved was fired and/or indicted, I don't see how you can accuse the government of gutlessness, and then turn around and applaud the NCAA, who only piled on six months after the government had already dropped the hammer.

2) Your contempt for due process is unfortunate, and as long as this mindset exists, there will always be injustice perpetrated in the name of "doing the right thing". This is the same mindset of the folks who persecuted Muhammad Ali, not because of any law that he had broken, but because he was deemed insufficiently patriotic during wartime. This is just one of many examples I can give of this sort of injustice.


1. I'm talking about the Federal Government. There is no question that Penn State was not Title IX compliant for well over a decade. They should have had their accreditation revoked. Like I said, if they were a corporation, they would be out of business.

2. NCAA rules are very vague. The NCAA does not issue explanations for what constitutes "lack of institutional control" but simply looking at the NCAA's "core values" in their mission statement, it's pretty clear that Penn State did violate them.

The Association - through its member institutions, conferences and national office staff - shares a belief in and commitment to:

· The collegiate model of athletics in which students participate as an avocation, balancing their academic, social and athletics experiences.

· The highest levels of integrity and sportsmanship.

· The pursuit of excellence in both academics and athletics.

· The supporting role that intercollegiate athletics plays in the higher education mission and in enhancing the sense of community and strengthening the identity of member institutions.

· An inclusive culture that fosters equitable participation for student-athletes and career opportunities for coaches and administrators from diverse backgrounds.

· Respect for institutional autonomy and philosophical differences.

· Presidential leadership of intercollegiate athletics at the campus, conference and national levels.


I italicized three examples where Penn State fell egregiously short of the NCAA's "core values".
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby bambam » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:57 am

JumboElliott wrote:1. I'm talking about the Federal Government. There is no question that Penn State was not Title IX compliant for well over a decade. They should have had their accreditation revoked. Like I said, if they were a corporation, they would be out of business.

2. NCAA rules are very vague. The NCAA does not issue explanations for what constitutes "lack of institutional control" but simply looking at the NCAA's "core values" in their mission statement, it's pretty clear that Penn State did violate them.


There's a famous quote about the NCAA'e enforcements standards:

"Whenever [Alabama/Penn State/Notre Dame/fill in the blank with major programs] has committed a violation, the NCAA puts Cleveland State on probation."
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:12 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:This is no different than the police arresting you for being late for work.
I'm really shocked the you and Jumbo can't comprehend this concept.

A. Completely faulty analogy

It's a great analogy which you seem unable to grasp.
B. How did it play out? That's called real life. I think you CAN understand that concept.[/quote]
What does this even mean? :?
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests