50's Baseball Nicknames

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Anyone over 60 is excluded from this, as it is too easy for them !

Who are these ballplayers ? First and last names.

The Man
Shot Gun
Vinegar Bend
Moose
Whitey
Red
Scooter
Pee Wee
Duke
Yogi
Smokey
The Lip
Country
dukehjsteve

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:58 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:Anyone over 60 is excluded from this, as it is too easy for them !

Who are these ballplayers ? First and last names.

The Man
Shot Gun
Vinegar Bend
Moose
Whitey
Red
Scooter
Pee Wee
Duke
Yogi
Smokey
The Lip
Country

You don't have to be 60, but close helps, to know all those names.

I did meet Bill 'Moose' Skowron a couple of years ago. Saw Smokey Burgess pinch hit for the same White Sox team Moose was first baseman for. Saw Leo the Lip Durocher managing the Cubs in the 60's. I will leave the rest for others, some are pretty obvious.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Davidokun » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:21 pm

"The Man" = Stan Musial
"Scooter" = Phil Rizzuto

How about "The Reading Rifle"?
Davidokun

Postby Master Po » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Well, I am not in the 60 & over group, but at a glance I know many of these for sure, and think I know almost all of them. But rather than list answers & perhaps ruin it for others who might be thinking about these names, I'll mention that I do not know "Shot Gun" at all. Never heard that one. I wonder if it will even be familiar when someone answers it on here.
Master Po

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Master Po wrote:Well, I am not in the 60 & over group, but at a glance I know many of these for sure, and think I know almost all of them. But rather than list answers & perhaps ruin it for others who might be thinking about these names, I'll mention that I do not know "Shot Gun" at all. Never heard that one. I wonder if it will even be familiar when someone answers it on here.

Hints on Shot Gun:

Played outfield for the Brooklyn Dodgers
Alliterative
dukehjsteve

Postby KDFINE » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:39 pm

With apologies for misspellings:
Musial
Shuba
Meisel
Skowron
Ford
Schoendienst
Rizzuto
Reese
Snider
Berra
Burgess
Durocher
Slaughter

The Reading Rifle was also know as Skoonj (for scungeli). I obviously know it but am not saying.
How about Suitcase and the Mad Monk?
KDFINE

Postby Master Po » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:03 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:
Master Po wrote:Well, I am not in the 60 & over group, but at a glance I know many of these for sure, and think I know almost all of them. But rather than list answers & perhaps ruin it for others who might be thinking about these names, I'll mention that I do not know "Shot Gun" at all. Never heard that one. I wonder if it will even be familiar when someone answers it on here.

Hints on Shot Gun:

Played outfield for the Brooklyn Dodgers
Alliterative

I always learn something here ... George Shuba -- never heard of him, but having just read his Wiki entry (which I'll take as authoritative for this purpose), he turns out to be a very interesting journeyman (good lord I hope I can use that word here :) ) --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Shuba
"Shuba is often remembered for his symbolic role in breaking down Major League Baseball's tenacious 'color barrier'. While playing for a farm team in the 1940s, Shuba offered a congratulatory handshake to rival team player Jackie Robinson, who went on to become the first African American to play in a major league since the late 19th century. The moment was captured in a well-known photograph."
Master Po

Postby lonewolf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:05 pm

I am not eligible ..but I never heard of Shotgun.
lonewolf

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:25 am

I'm younger than the "eligible" however I was aware of George Shuba from reading "The Boys of Summer" in my youth. My parents were Brooklyn Dodger fans and I am well read on their history.

Whitey could apply to Whitey Lockman as well...and it wouldn't shock me to find that there are more with the same nickname. Again, with parents who were Dodger fans, it's not surprising that I'd be aware of who was on base when Bobby Thomson hit his HR that seems to aggravate my dad to no end. :lol:

Track connection....Bobby Thomson is the uncle of Bob Andrews and Bob Andrews is the father of Robbie Andrews.
Dutra5

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:26 am

Shuba played some right field for the Dodgers, and had a great arm... ergo the alliterative " Shotgun."

And her's the easiest Dodger of all:

Preacher

And a Giant, later a brief Dodger:

The Barber

And we still have not heard first names for a lot of the guys correctly identified by their last names.
dukehjsteve

Postby cullman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:49 am

"The Barber" is Sal Maglie who was the other pitcher in Don Larsen's World Series perfect game.
cullman

Postby Master Po » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:17 pm

"Preacher" Roe (Elwin Charles Roe). I knew the last name, but just looked up the first/middle names.

And I didn't know Sal Maglie was the other pitcher in Larsen's perfect game.
Master Po

Postby KDFINE » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:45 pm

I suffer from brain lock as I am over 60 (cannot believe it though) yet still replied. I am sorry and am going into self imposed exile for a while except if someone guesses the identity of The Reading Rifle a.k.a scungill (sp?). I threw out the names Suitcase and the Mad Monk. Hints. Suitcase was so-named because he played for a lot of teams. The Mad Monk once got in a fight with Jackie Robinson, and later became his teammate. I'll re-emerge if someone gets these and needs kudos. I believe that Sal Maglie tossed a 2 or 4 hitter in the World Series game that he lost to 2 - 0 to Don Larsen's 97 pitch perfect game.
KDFINE

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Suitcase I believe is Suitcase Simpson, but that's all I remember about him. That scoonje deal is ringing faint bells but they are too faint !
dukehjsteve

Postby gh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm too old, but am among those who never heard of Shot Gun... which to me, by the way, would suggest a scattershot arm, not capable of making accurate throws.

Also from that era, roughly

Junior
The Say Hey Kid
Fergie
gh

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:35 pm

gh wrote:I'm too old, but am among those who never heard of Shot Gun... which to me, by the way, would suggest a scattershot arm, not capable of making accurate throws.

Junior
The Say Hey Kid
Fergie

Say Hey Kid is too easy to merit an answer... # 24

Only Fergie I can think of is Jenkins, Cubs pitcher.

Junior is another Dodger ... Jim Gilliam
dukehjsteve

Postby tandfman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:41 pm

gh wrote:I'm too old, but am among those who never heard of Shot Gun... which to me, by the way, would suggest a scattershot arm, not capable of making accurate throws.

Junior
The Say Hey Kid
Fergie

According to Shuba's wiki page "Shotgun" had to do with hitting line drives, not throwing.

A few more:

Slats
Rapid Robert
The Big Cat
tandfman

Postby KDFINE » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Dukehjsteve you are right about Harry "Suitcase" Simpson, a well traveled, much traded outfielder.
KDFINE

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:52 am

tandfman wrote:

Junior
The Say Hey Kid
Fergie

According to Shuba's wiki page "Shotgun" had to do with hitting line drives, not throwing.

A few more:

Slats
Rapid Robert
The Big Cat

Slats Marty Marion
Rapid Robert Bob Feller
The Big Cat Harry Brecheen ( sp ? )
dukehjsteve

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:45 am

dukehjsteve wrote:
Only Fergie I can think of is Jenkins, Cubs pitcher.

Short for Ferguson.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Cardinal outfielder Rip R.......
dukehjsteve

Postby tandfman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:34 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:Slats Marty Marion
Rapid Robert Bob Feller
The Big Cat Harry Brecheen ( sp ? )

Right on the first two. But Harry The Cat Brecheen was not The Big Cat. The Big Cat was not a pitcher.
tandfman

Postby cullman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:58 pm

The Big Cat is/was slugger Johnny Mize. My personal favorite nickname is Hill Billy Billdilli(sp?). :)

Who is Killer?
edit: Who is Bullet Bob?
Last edited by cullman on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cullman

Postby cullman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:Cardinal outfielder Rip R.......

Ripulski...played for my Red Sox too.
cullman

Postby cullman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Dutra5 wrote:...Again, with parents who were Dodger fans, it's not surprising that I'd be aware of who was on base when Bobby Thomson hit his HR that seems to aggravate my dad to no end. :lol:

Russ Hodges did the memorable radio broadcast but who was the TV announcer? Bonus points...what was the name of the baseball expert on the $64,000 Question who correctly answered, 'Who was on base and what were the circumstances when Bobby Thomson hit his "Shot Heard Round The World" '

Dutra...dj...Bueller? Anybody?
cullman

Postby tandfman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 am

cullman wrote:The Big Cat is/was slugger Johnny Mize.

Correct

cullman wrote:Who is Killer?

OJ Simpson? :)
tandfman

Postby lonewolf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:23 am

Harmon Killebrew =Killer
lonewolf

Postby Dutra5 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:12 pm

cullman wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:...Again, with parents who were Dodger fans, it's not surprising that I'd be aware of who was on base when Bobby Thomson hit his HR that seems to aggravate my dad to no end. :lol:

Russ Hodges did the memorable radio broadcast but who was the TV announcer? Bonus points...what was the name of the baseball expert on the $64,000 Question who correctly answered, 'Who was on base and what were the circumstances when Bobby Thomson hit his "Shot Heard Round The World" '

I know Ernie Harwell did the TV broadcast. My dad insists Eddie Stanky should have been called out for crossing the basepaths prior to Thomson making it around.
Dutra5

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 am

Nobody has bothered to say Clint Hartung, so here it is.
dukehjsteve

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:37 am

Dutra5 wrote:
cullman wrote:

I know Ernie Harwell did the TV broadcast. My dad insists Eddie Stanky should have been called out for crossing the basepaths prior to Thomson making it around.

I remember back in 1967, WGN's Jack Brickhouse interviewing Durocher when he was manager of the Cubs and Stanky was managing the White Sox about that homer. Durocher went on about Stanky jumping all over him and he couldn't get away from him and all. Pretty funny.
Conor Dary

Postby KDFINE » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:41 am

Others nicknames from the 50s were that I remember (and don't have to look up):
Paw Paw
The Yankee Killer
Mandrake the Magician

There are two classes of nicknames. There are the names that were in common usage so you'd have to perhaps scratch your head to think of the ballplayer's given name, like Yogi Berra, Duke Snider or Rip Repulski, and there are the nicknames like I've just listed above: so and so Paw Paw so and so.
KDFINE

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:36 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:
cullman wrote:

I remember back in 1967, WGN's Jack Brickhouse interviewing Durocher when he was manager of the Cubs and Stanky was managing the White Sox about that homer. Durocher went on about Stanky jumping all over him and he couldn't get away from him and all. Pretty funny.

Not funny to my dad. :lol:
Dutra5

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:40 am

KDFINE wrote:Others nicknames from the 50s were that I remember (and don't have to look up):
Paw Paw
The Yankee Killer
Mandrake the Magician

There are two classes of nicknames. There are the names that were in common usage so you'd have to perhaps scratch your head to think of the ballplayer's given name, like Yogi Berra, Duke Snider or Rip Repulski, and there are the nicknames like I've just listed above: so and so Paw Paw so and so.

Frank Lary was the Yankee Killer.

Bringing it back to Thomson's home run....Don Mueller was Mandrake. He was injured sliding into third base right before the HR and was replaced by the aforementioned Clint Hartung.
Dutra5

Postby KDFINE » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 am

Dutra5. Correct for both the Yankee Killer and Mandrake.
KDFINE

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Bobby Thomson hit his "Shot Heard Round The World" '

I know Ernie Harwell did the TV broadcast. My dad insists Eddie Stanky should have been called out for crossing the basepaths prior to Thomson making it around.[/quote]

I remember back in 1967, WGN's Jack Brickhouse interviewing Durocher when he was manager of the Cubs and Stanky was managing the White Sox about that homer. Durocher went on about Stanky jumping all over him and he couldn't get away from him and all. Pretty funny.[/quote]

Not funny to my dad. :lol:[/quote]

My Dad worked at Grumman Aircraft in suburban NY and was a BIG Giant fan. His best memory of that afternoon is being at work, everyone in the world listening to the radio. When Thomson parked it, one rabid Dodger fan in my Dad's office was so upset he threw his battery radio out a 3 story window !
dukehjsteve

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:51 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:
My Dad worked at Grumman Aircraft in suburban NY and was a BIG Giant fan. His best memory of that afternoon is being at work, everyone in the world listening to the radio. When Thomson parked it, one rabid Dodger fan in my Dad's office was so upset he threw his battery radio out a 3 story window !

My dad was a mounted patrolman with NY's Finest and, since I was not yet born I'm not sure of the full story, my dad fell off his horse at one point injuring his back enough to pull limited duty for quite a long time. I often wondered if the two events were related :lol:

BTW...the Dodgers moved out of Brooklyn a few months prior to me being born. My mom has always said with a big smile that "they lost the Dodgers but gained a son that year". With the same smile she says "she's not sure they got the better deal". I guess you have to be of Irish descent to treat that as a joke. :lol:
Dutra5

Postby gh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 pm

I was a huge Killebrew fan, partially because from an early age I was huge for the underdogs (and the Senators with Pascual,Ramos, Allison and Killer were about as underdogish as you could get) but also becuase he was from Idaho, which in the late '50s was one of two states I had ever visited!

Didn't he set a record for the most homers ever with fewest ribbies? As in, most homers (49 or so?) with fewer than 100 RBI. ????
gh

Postby JayIsMe » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:35 am

Not quite 60 myself but close. Spent my elementry school years in LA between 1959-65, a good time to be a dodger fan. I remember my teacher rolling the TV into the classroom so we could watch the 63 series opener against the yankees. Koufax was my favorite player (a lefty like me) and he just killed em. I got most of the nicknames above, recognized a bunch more after somebody else answered.

Here's a couple from the 60s-
The Dominican Dandy (just had an anniversary of sorts)
Stretch

and one from a little farther back-
Three Fingers
JayIsMe

Postby KDFINE » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:31 am

Three Fingers was not a little further back, but a LOT further back!
KDFINE

Postby cullman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:24 pm

JayIsMe wrote:Here's a couple from the 60s-
The Dominican Dandy (just had an anniversary of sorts)
Stretch

Juan Marichal and Willie McCovey! How about Baby Bull.
cullman

Next