Silver medallist Demps to NFL for 2012

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Silver medallist Demps to NFL for 2012

Postby preston » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:30 am

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/82688 ... nfl-career

Former Florida running back Jeff Demps, who won a silver medal at the 2012 London Games as part of the men's 4x100 relay team, hopes to sign with an NFL team, NFL.com reported Tuesday.

The website, citing a source close to the former Gators star, reported that Demps has signed with an agent and is hoping to play for an NFL team this season.

Demps went undrafted after he informed teams he was pursuing track fulltime.

Demps finished his Florida career with 2,470 yards rushing and 23 touchdowns.

He had 569 yards rushing and six touchdowns last season. He also was a dangerous kickoff returner, averaging 28.8 yards per return in his four-year career.

He didn't run in the 4x100 final, where the U.S. team finished second behind Jamaica, but still received a medal for competing in the qualifying round.
preston

Re: Silver medallist Demps to NFL for 2012

Postby GDAWG » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:09 pm

I don't know how big of a loss this would be to USA Track and Field.

Tampa Bay is already interested in him:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... eff-demps/
GDAWG

Postby j-a-m » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm not surprised that he's going to give it a try. If he makes it big in the NFL in the next two or three years, sure, he'll keep doing that. If he doesn't make it big until then, he still has plenty of time to prepare for Rio 2016, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back. Besides, being a former NFL player would give him a marketing edge anyway.
j-a-m

Postby GDAWG » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Also would not be surprised if Marquise Goodwin took a similar route.
GDAWG

Postby j-a-m » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:19 pm

GDAWG wrote:Also would not be surprised if Marquise Goodwin took a similar route.

Exactly, it's a win-win for him, why not keep his options open for a while.
j-a-m

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:23 pm

j-a-m wrote:
GDAWG wrote:Also would not be surprised if Marquise Goodwin took a similar route.

Financially, I am sure it is a win for both of these guys. On the other hand, how long does a running back typically survive in the NFL? 3 years? It will be interesting to see what shape their knees are in by Spring 2015. I wish them both well.
Dave

Postby cigar95 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:54 pm

In Goodwin's case, he still has some eligibility left with the 'Horns, so we may well see him in college a while longer.
cigar95

Postby lonewolf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Goodwin looks more "football ready" than Demps but with eligibility left, I expect him to be backt at Texas this fall.
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:19 pm

j-a-m wrote:

Unless he suffers a career ending injury as has happened to so many of them.
Pego

Postby bman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:30 pm

He just isn't as good as he thought he was going to be after last year. He probably thought he was a whisker away from making the Olympic team which is why he didn't go pro last year. But he ran poorly and slipped all the way back to football. I like him a lot so I hate that it turned out this way but from my angle thats the way it looks. I'm not sure he can come back if he spends a few years in the NFL, he is too heavy and has been for a while and never will get consistently under 10 until he fixes this. If he had the ability to come back and try for Rio he would have improved at Florida and would never be making this decision.
bman

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 pm

bman wrote:He just isn't as good as he thought he was going to be after last year. He probably thought he was a whisker away from making the Olympic team which is why he didn't go pro last year. But he ran poorly and slipped all the way back to football. I like him a lot so I hate that it turned out this way but from my angle thats the way it looks. I'm not sure he can come back if he spends a few years in the NFL, he is too heavy and has been for a while and never will get consistently under 10 until he fixes this. If he had the ability to come back and try for Rio he would have improved at Florida and would never be making this decision.

Who was it that led off the semis of the 4 x 100m for the Silver Medalists?
Dutra5

Postby bman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
bman wrote:He just isn't as good as he thought he was going to be after last year. He probably thought he was a whisker away from making the Olympic team which is why he didn't go pro last year. But he ran poorly and slipped all the way back to football. I like him a lot so I hate that it turned out this way but from my angle thats the way it looks. I'm not sure he can come back if he spends a few years in the NFL, he is too heavy and has been for a while and never will get consistently under 10 until he fixes this. If he had the ability to come back and try for Rio he would have improved at Florida and would never be making this decision.

It was Demps. Did you not know or were you trying to make some kind of point? I don't have time for nonsense.
bman

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:02 pm

bman wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:

It was Demps. Did you not know or were you trying to make some kind of point? I don't have time for nonsense.

No need for the big timing there fella. We all have schedules to keep.

Do you have time to recognize he was on the Olympic Team?
Dutra5

Postby ATK » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Out of curiosity, how is Trindon Holiday doing?
ATK

Postby bman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Dutra5 wrote:No need for the big timing there fella. We all have schedules to keep.

Cute. You Jeff's friend? Sorry I offended you.
bman

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:54 pm

bman wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:No need for the big timing there fella. We all have schedules to keep.

I don't know. Seems odd to say someone didn't make the team and then find him running in the OG wouldn't you say?
Dutra5

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:55 pm

ATK wrote:Out of curiosity, how is Trindon Holiday doing?

Ran back a kick for a TD last weekend in a preseason game.
Dutra5

Postby bman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
bman wrote:

I don't know. Seems odd to say someone didn't make the team and then find him running in the OG wouldn't you say?

I think 99% of the people on this message board would not find it very odd. If you are a part of that 1%, legitimately, than I truly do not mean any disrespect, as I said at the beginning. As a show of good faith, I'll say Nesta Carter is also dissapointed in not making the team.
bman

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:05 pm

bman wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:
bman wrote:

I think 99% of the people on this message board would not find it very odd. If you are a part of that 1%, legitimately, than I truly do not mean any disrespect, as I said at the beginning. As a show of good faith, I'll say Nesta Carter is also dissapointed in not making the team.

There's no particular reason you need to explain you incorrection.
Dutra5

Postby GDAWG » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:34 pm

cigar95 wrote:

In Goodwin's case, he still has some eligibility left with the 'Horns, so we may well see him in college a while longer.

Doesn't Goodwin have one more year left?
GDAWG

Postby bman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Dutra5 wrote:There's no particular reason you need to explain you incorrection.

What does that even mean? You asked me a question and I answered it.
bman

Postby j-a-m » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:22 am

GDAWG wrote:Doesn't Goodwin have one more year left?

Goodwin has one year of eligibility left, so he's playing football at Texas this fall.
j-a-m

Postby americantrackfan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:40 pm

ESPN is reporting he is going to the Patriots :D
But I wish he stuck with track :(
americantrackfan

Postby sprintdoc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Track reality hit Jeff. Bests deal he could pull from shoe company was just shy of 6 figures a year with lots of bonus money for making teams as an individual.

Spoke with NFL agent this afternoon who said Demps will get more in his signing bonus alone than he would ever get in a full track career and more than most any track athlete will ever get this side of Bolt.

While I love seeing talented guys try their hand in track who can blame him for this. Its the choice I predicted months back and by handling this way he got chance to run Olympics and get a medal and then by making sure he didn't get drafted with his all-in announcement for track he comes into league as a free agent and negotiated with over a half dozen teams and thus got best deal. Teams always looking for a speedster, especially one with experience on a major college team.
sprintdoc

Postby cladthin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:59 pm

I really thought Demps (22) would be THE leadoff man possibly by next year's WC but likely no later than Rio if he stayed in the sport especially with Rodgers and Kimmons both at age 27. Too bad but I certainly cannot blame him for going where the $ is.
cladthin

Postby lonewolf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Yep, I would recommend anyone offered a NFL contract take it over an iffy track career...
unless you are Usain Bolt. :)
lonewolf

Postby j-a-m » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:55 am

sprintdoc wrote: Its the choice I predicted months back and by handling this way he got chance to run Olympics and get a medal and then by making sure he didn't get drafted with his all-in announcement for track he comes into league as a free agent and negotiated with over a half dozen teams and thus got best deal.

That's an interesting aspect, that he probably got a better deal by skipping the draft this way.
j-a-m

Postby vip » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:41 am

Demps may get a few more bucks in football, but that must be tempered a bit. Contracts aren't guaranteed in the NFL, which means he can get cut and never see the total dollars on his deal. And there's no coming back to track once you go football, because of the weight gain. But hey, he has a silver medal. That's probably as good as it gets for him.

Demps is probably one of those guys who isn't supremely talented for either sport, not in a superstar sense. My advice for him would be to save his money and be prepared to lean on that Florida degree, if he has it.
vip

Postby vip » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:46 am

Also, Demps should find Mike Rodgers, wherever he is, and thank him.
vip

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:54 am

vip wrote:Demps may get a few more bucks in football, but that must be tempered a bit. Contracts aren't guaranteed in the NFL, which means he can get cut and never see the total dollars on his deal. And there's no coming back to track once you go football, because of the weight gain. But hey, he has a silver medal. That's probably as good as it gets for him.

Demps is probably one of those guys who isn't supremely talented for either sport, not in a superstar sense. My advice for him would be to save his money and be prepared to lean on that Florida degree, if he has it.

Case in point is Trindon Holliday who signed a 4 year deal upon being drafted, got injured, I think received an injury settlement and was released. He's been trying to get on a roster since. I don't think he saw very much of that contract.

Plus kickoff returners have become less of a commodity in the NFL because of the new rules. If he can't do anything from the LOS, it's even possible he doesn't make the team.
Dutra5

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:44 am

Dutra5 wrote:Case in point is Trindon Holliday who signed a 4 year deal upon being drafted, got injured, I think received an injury settlement and was released. He's been trying to get on a roster since. I don't think he saw very much of that contract.

Plus kickoff returners have become less of a commodity in the NFL because of the new rules. If he can't do anything from the LOS, it's even possible he doesn't make the team.

Things are looking up for Holliday. For the second week in a row, he had a long kick return for a touchdown.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... urn-for-TD
jazzcyclist

Postby Half Miler » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:56 am

Also, despite what the front page article on Demps says, Holliday is now the fastest NFL player EVER, based on 100m times (10.00).

Of course, some dude ran 10.06 on a cinder track in back in 1964...
Half Miler

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Half Miler wrote:Also, despite what the front page article on Demps says, Holliday is now the fastest NFL player EVER, based on 100m times (10.00).

Of course, some dude ran 10.06 on a cinder track in back in 1964...

Actually, Justin Gatlin got as far as rookie camp in 2007 but didn't make the team. Hopefully, both Demps and Holliday have better luck and make the regular season roster. Based on people who have made NFL regular season rosters, Jacoby Ford (10.01) is the fastest NFL player ever. On a side note, when Justin Gatlin worked out at the Houston Texan's pro-day, his best 40 time was 4.42s, slower than both Holliday (4.34) and Ford (4.28) ran at the NFL combine.

By the way, four years ago when Demps set the high school record (10.01) at the Olympic Trials, I would have bet good money that he would run well under 10 flat before his collegiate career was over.
jazzcyclist

Postby Half Miler » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:30 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:By the way, four years ago when Demps set the high school record (10.01) at the Olympic Trials, I would have bet good money that he would run well under 10 flat before his collegiate career was over.

I'm really not surprised he didn't improve. As I recall, those quarterfinals seemed ridiculously fast, with a bunch of guys PRing, but never reaching those times again.
Half Miler

Postby BusterZanga » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Half Miler wrote:Also, despite what the front page article on Demps says, Holliday is now the fastest NFL player EVER, based on 100m times (10.00).

Jim Hines (9.95) is the fastest ever NFL player.
BusterZanga

Postby ATK » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:03 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:By the way, four years ago when Demps set the high school record (10.01) at the Olympic Trials, I would have bet good money that he would run well under 10 flat before his collegiate career was over.

Maybe not well under, but definitely at least a legal 9.99.
ATK

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:08 pm

BusterZanga wrote:

Jim Hines (9.95) is the fastest ever NFL player.

Make that 9.95A, and that's a big A
26mi235

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:33 pm

BusterZanga wrote:

Jim Hines (9.95A) is the fastest ever NFL player.

FIFY
jazzcyclist

Postby GDAWG » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:38 pm

FWIW, the minimum salary for an NFL rookie this season is $390,000 and Demps is a rookie.

He's already making more than what he would have made in Europe and the Diamond League.
GDAWG

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

GDAWG wrote:FWIW, the minimum salary for an NFL rookie this season is $390,000 and Demps is a rookie.

He's already making more than what he would have made in Europe and the Diamond League.

And remember, football players have a lot less overhead than sprinters do. They don't have to pay for coaches, trainers, travel and medical insurance and they also have pension plans paid for by the NFL.
jazzcyclist

Next