Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Adriana S » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 pm

On The New York Times calling her the "Anna Kournikova of track":

"They didn't even do their research, calling me the Anna Kournikova of track. I have the American record. I am the American record holder indoors, I have two world indoor titles. Just because I don't boast about these things, I don't think I should be ripped apart by media."

She continued:

"I think it was crazy just because it was two days before I competed, and then the fact that it was from a U.S. media, they should be supporting our U.S. Olympic athletes and instead they just ripped me to shreds."

I give her my utmost respect. Glad she's defending herself :wink:
Last edited by Adriana S on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adriana S

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Grazerism » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Good for you, Lolo! That article was really a hatchet job.
Grazerism

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:51 pm

I agree with Lolo. I get tired of her publicity but it is the media that set her up and obviously, they can turn on you in a second. Shame on them.
odelltrclan

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Damn! In talking about her just yesterday on this message board I used the AK analogy just to help make my point. Didn't know until that the NYT had gone there already, And pissed her off doing so.

From Lo Lo's defense of herself, sounds like it isn't the best analogy to make. Not a totally fair analogy. But there is still some similarity there.

I'm not saying I expect Lo Lo to admit to that similarity, but I think it's there.

Sounds to me like Lo Lo is in absolute denial and self delusion, in terms of what has been happening to her media attention wise the past few years.

I"m beginning to wonder who her professional advisors are. Her lawyers, her publicists etc.. Because I'm getting the sense that there aren't many older, wiser more worldly people, helping her to understand all that is happening to her right now.

It's like she's caught in a storm, without the smallest umbrella.

p.s. I'll go look for that NYT piece and link it here if I find it. If someone else finds it before me, please do the same.
sprintzfan

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:59 pm

sprintzfan

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:11 pm

I think the whole idea of The New York Times doing this type of hitjob on an athlete is strange. It's not like Lolo is some politcal figure, business leader or government official; she has no criminal record and she doesn't wear her religion or politics on her sleeve, a la Muhammad Ali and Tim Tebow. For them to get into this sort Mean Girls stuff seems beneath a newspaper its stature. I'm sure Lolo can handle the hatin' when it's done on message boards and facebook, but how many of us wouldn''t be rattled if The New York Times was hatin' on us? Probably the only thing worse is if 60 Minutes does a hitjob on you.

Here's what other journalists are saying about The New York Times' hitjob on Lolo:
Jeré Longman’s takedown of the track star as overexposed, cynical, ‘dissolute,’ and even less than talented was a misguided, over-the-top, personal attack that had more to do with the writer’s dislike for the Olympics than anything the athlete has done, says David Roth.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... nfair.html
the New York Times published one of the nastiest profiles I've ever seen of an athlete, or really anyone, an indictment of the media presence of hurdler Lolo Jones.

. . . . there's something deeply strange about condemning a competitor for doing what it takes to fund a rigorous training program and to stay financially afloat.

. . . . in a classy move, she comforted Brigitte Foster-Hylton, the Jamaican hurdler who was considered a medal contender but suffered the same fate Jones did in Beijing, tripping on a hurdle and ending her dream of ascending the podium. Posing with slightly fewer clothes on than she wears in competition doesn't seem to have harmed Jones' capacity for empathy. But it appears that those pictures, and the way Jones tells the story of her own life, diminished Longman's critical faculties.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_ci ... rong_.html

Now we are all mad at Lolo, but why? when, at a fundamental level, all she’s trying to do is win at the game of life, as it’s presently constructed. She wasn’t gifted her Olympic spot; she earned on the track. Going broke to give a few critics and fans comfort in her character will lead her down similar paths that athletes who don’t realize what sports really is nowadays: entertainment. America eats its young and needs a fresh face constantly, and for women in particular, this reality is always prevalent. So hopefully Jerè Longman can fix his face and find it in his heart to root for an American athlete regardless of however many tasteless commercials she appears in over the next week or so.

http://frugivoremag.com/2012/08/the-new ... hey-right/
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Yahoo sports summed it up perfectly

Jones is right that the New York Times went too far in the article. She is a more accomplished athlete than it gave her credit for.

However, it is not the job of the media to support athletes. It is the job of the media to cover the sport, both good and bad. She had no problem posing for magazine covers and doing interviews to promote herself before the Olympics. She can't be angry now when she has less than golden results.
guru

Postby j-a-m » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Would it make sense to compare indoors in track to doubles in tennis?
j-a-m

Postby gh » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:21 pm

I don't think Longman has ever liked track, and his ongoing coverage of the sport through the years shows it. He's one of the i-only-like-to-write-dirt bunch.
gh

Postby Grazerism » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 pm

replying to j-a-m;

NO! The indoor hurdles, for both men and women, have always attracted the best: Colin Jackson, David Oliver, on down the list. Lolo's titles are huge individual accomplishments.
Grazerism

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:25 pm

guru wrote:Yahoo sports summed it up perfectly

Jones is right that the New York Times went too far in the article. She is a more accomplished athlete than it gave her credit for.

However, it is not the job of the media to support athletes. It is the job of the media to cover the sport, both good and bad. She had no problem posing for magazine covers and doing interviews to promote herself before the Olympics. She can't be angry now when she has less than golden results.

Not only have there been plenty of other athletes who have posed almost nude for ESPN's body issue (eg. Serena Williams, Candace Parker, Abby Wambach), but there have been many who have posed completely nude (eg. Amy Acuff, Stacy Dragila), but I don't recall the New York Times ever going after them.
jazzcyclist

Postby j-a-m » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:28 pm

Grazerism wrote:The indoor hurdles, for both men and women, have always attracted the best: Colin Jackson, David Oliver, on down the list. Lolo's titles are huge individual accomplishments.

Including this year, when both Pearson and Merritt also competed indoors.
j-a-m

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:29 pm

j-a-m wrote:Would it make sense to compare indoors in track to doubles in tennis?

I don't think so. The bottom line is that Lolo was ranked #1 in the world in 2008 and has won many meets on the DL circuit in her career, while Kournikova never sniffed #1 and never won ANY singles tournament in her career. And remember that tennis players get 16 shots at Grand Slam titles in a four-year period while track & field athletes only get three shots at global titles in that same time frame.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby Daisy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:32 pm

I thought she was the media darling. We're just talking about one negative article here, right? Not sure what the fuss is about.
Daisy

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:33 pm

Daisy wrote:I thought she was the media darling. We're just talking about one negative article here, right? Not sure what the fuss is about.

It's The New York Times, that's what the fuss is about.
jazzcyclist

Postby Grazerism » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:33 pm

uh, this article was in the NEW YORK TIMES!
Grazerism

Postby j-a-m » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
j-a-m wrote:Would it make sense to compare indoors in track to doubles in tennis?

I don't think so.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well; just wanted to double-check.
j-a-m

Postby Daisy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Daisy wrote:I thought she was the media darling. We're just talking about one negative article here, right? Not sure what the fuss is about.

It's The New York Times, that's what the fuss is about.

It's one writer who happens to be able to publish in the New York Times. 'The media' is not against her and it's not 'the media' that is comparing her to AK. It's one writer.
Daisy

Postby Grazerism » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Because the article was published in the NYT, it carries a special weight. The NYT is certainly a key player in "the media".
Grazerism

Postby Daisy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Grazerism wrote:Because the article was published in the NYT, it carries a special weight. The NYT is certainly a key player in "the media".

Certainly this article will be seen by more people. But it just seems like one person with an axe to grind. Seems a little odd to tar the whole media with the same brush, especially after they have been presenting her in such a positive light for the last 6 months.
Daisy

Postby j-a-m » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:57 pm

gh wrote:I don't think Longman has ever liked track, and his ongoing coverage of the sport through the years shows it. He's one of the i-only-like-to-write-dirt bunch.

Don't know anything about the guy, but this article is quite annoying.
j-a-m

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Daisy wrote:
Grazerism wrote:Because the article was published in the NYT, it carries a special weight. The NYT is certainly a key player in "the media".

Certainly this article will be seen by more people. But it just seems like one person with an axe to grind. Seems a little odd to tar the whole media with the same brush, especially after they have been presenting her in such a positive light for the last 6 months.

I'm not tarring the whole media with one brush. I even linked three articles in which they defended Lolo against the NYT hit piece. Don't you think it's odd that the NYT would go after an athlete in manner more befitting some gossip tabloid?
jazzcyclist

Postby lonewolf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:09 pm

I do not read the NYT and never heard of this Longman turd. What are his credentials? How many Olympic gold medals does he have?
If I was not already a Lolo admirer this hatchet job would make me one.
lonewolf

Postby Daisy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:I'm not tarring the whole media with one brush.

I was not talking about you, I was referring to the Lolo quotes that Adriana S posted.

Just because I don't boast about these things, I don't think I should be ripped apart by media.

I think it was crazy just because it was two days before I competed, and then the fact that it was from a U.S. media, they should be supporting our U.S. Olympic athletes and instead they just ripped me to shreds.

jazzcyclist wrote:Don't you think it's odd that the NYT would go after an athlete in manner more befitting some gossip tabloid?

I'm guessing these things slip through now and then. It's one writer as far as I can tell, not the might of the NYTimes against Lolo.
Daisy

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

I don't know the person who wrote the article either, but the article has a mean tone to it that I don't think is really necessary. I think there are several VERY good points and historical comparisons in the article. Points and comparisons that I think could have been made, without the overal snide tone of the article.

As for the Kournikova comparison that by the way wasn't made by the New York Times reporter, but a woman being interviewed in this article. I think the way that comparison is made in the article of completely reasonable, and essentially a very good point!

When I compared Lo Lo to AK yesterday, I wasn't aruging that the two are identical in their respective sport achievement level. I was making the point that in both cases, the bulk of the attention they received is due to certain things about their looks, NOT due to anything in particular about their "game."

Personally, from what I noticed, I think AK had more of this "sex symbol" non actual talent based attention going on than Lo Lo does. But I think Lo Lo has it too.

Let me throw out another such person. I don't follow NASCAR super closely, but from what I have noticed, Danica Patrick has not been very successful. Actually has not won many races in either Indy or stock car racing. (Has she ever won any race?) Yet I see her face constantly on television. In one capacity or another.

Now once again, I'm not sure what happens, if you put Danica's accomplishments alongside AK's or Lo Lo's. But regardless of who should be judged the most accomplished of all of them, I think a strong dose of "sex sells" results in all three of these women being much better known, than a woman with the same credentials but a "less sexy" look would be known.

Again. Some might not give a hoot about this type of double standard. But I bet the vast majority who don't care about this have daughters who are very good at what they do, but perhaps very over weight or otherwise non-glamorous.

I think the overall issue this article brings up, is an issue that merits being discussed and analyzed some. It's a FAIRNESS issue. And athough we don't live in a perfect world where all unfairness where never disappear, that doesn't mean we are doing something stupid and worthless to analyze and think about any fairness issue some.

Other than the mean tone, I think in several ways this is a good article. I'd advise any young female relative of mine to read it. So they could grow up being able to make a wise and knowing choice, regarding what role if any they wanted their sex appeal to play in their career success.
sprintzfan

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Here is how I'd like to have men on this message board, reading this thread, think about this overall issue.

Consider this hypothetical.

Several of my black American female friends, find Ryan Bailey to be a very attractive man.

So with this in mind, say if instead of mostly white men covering Olympic Track and Field, it was predominately black women doing it. And in races like the 100 meters, instead of paying attention to Tyson Gay or Justin Gatlin, the lion's share of the media attention this Olympics had been on Ryan Bailey.

Now if this had happened, I don't think you nor I are gonna pick up signs, and start picketing NBC studios. But at the same time I do think we would find it odd and very stupid. And probably get irrated by it. Many of us in the very least would point out the absurdity of NBC focusing on the third best American 100 meter man over the other two. And we'd probably talk some about how the black women at NBC were letting their hormones, drive their coverage. Not focusing on the athletes based on their athletic merits.

See my point?

We as men are so used to sex and physical attactiveness being a big part of how women's sports are marketed to us, we just accept it as a given. We don't give one second of thought to whether it's fair or healthy. Whether a great "ugly" female athlete deserves to be as respected and marketed just much as Charles Barkley's fat ugly azz. :wink: In my opinion Lebron and Kobe aren't exactly male model material either. lol But they both get plenty of media attention, and endorsement commericals etc.. because they are very good at what they do.

I don't look for a society where women enjoy every advantage that we men enjoy, or vice versa. I understand that it is not a perfect world. But the world can be made better, and fairer, even if not perfect.

While I do not think people should take cheap shots at Lo Lo in the media. I nonetheless think "the Lo Lo phenonmenon" can teach us all a lesson, about the inherent unfairness of how female athletes are treated amd marketed.

We can never change how all of this works. But we can start with ourown individual selves, and make a decision to not be a silent co-conspirator to this problem. To this form of unfairness.
sprintzfan

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:23 pm

You guys please feel free to help me tweak my Ryan Bailey analogy to best illustrate the point I'm tring to make there. Maybe he isn't the best Lo Lo type male equivalent in terms of his story and accomplishment level, but I hope you still get the point I'm driving at there, even if Ryan Bailey isn't the best male athlete I could have chosen to serve as my example.

If there is a better case of a "very good looking" male athlete who just is not as good as a couple of his closest competitors, I'll gladly replace his name and chosen even with Bailey and the Men's 100m.
sprintzfan

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:23 pm

sprintzfan wrote:When I compared Lo Lo to AK yesterday, I wasn't aruging that the two are identical in their respective sport achievement level. I was making the point that in both cases, the bulk of the attention they received is due to certain things about their looks, NOT due to anything in particular about their "game."

While both Lolo and Kourikova get attention for their looks, I think in Kournikova's case it was only because of her looks, while in Lolo's case, it's looks, along with an interesting life story and an outgoing, charismatic personality that makes for a good interview subject. On the other hand, I've heard a couple of sports journalists complain about what a terrible interviewee Kournikova is and I think her life story is pretty ordinary. Over the years, I've seen hundreds of female athletes who were at least as attractive as Lolo that never got the attention that Lolo's has gotten, and I think it's probably because they had ordinary personalities and/or ordinary life stories.
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:29 pm

gh wrote:I don't think Longman has ever liked track, and his ongoing coverage of the sport through the years shows it. He's one of the i-only-like-to-write-dirt bunch.

Of all of the NYTimes sports writers he is definitely my least favorite. The guy is complete crap.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:30 pm

jazzcyclist wrote: While both Lolo and Kourikova get attention for their looks, I think in Kournikova's case it was only because of her looks, while in Lolo's case, it's looks, along with an interesting life story and an outgoing, charismatic personality that makes for a good interview subject. On the other hand, I've heard a couple of sports journalists complain about what a terrible interviewee Kournikova is and I think her life story is pretty ordinary. Over the years, I've seen hundreds of female athletes who were at least as attractive as Lolo that never got the attention that Lolo's has gotten, and I think it's probably because they had ordinary personalities and/or ordinary life stories.

AK had some early success that I think journalists have tried to point to, as the reason she got so much attention. Like I think she made it to the Semis at Wimbledon at a very young age.

But that said, I think you make a good distinction about the difference in their lives. I don't know a lot about AK's upbringing, but I don't recall ever hearing any of the types of hardship I have heard about with Lo Lo. So you very well might have a strong point there jazz.

So you think the comparison to AK is unfair right? And people shouldn't make it. Am I interpresting your position right there?
sprintzfan

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Tell me if you agree with the following jazzcyclist:

Yesterday over on the 100meter hurdle thread, we were discussing the Lo Lo phenomenon from more of a colorism type perspective? From the perspecive of how as I put it there, the very light skinned black woman is always considered better looking than the very dark skinned one in our mass media culture.

But today on this thread, and in the NYT article, we are more looking at the possible sexist aspects of Lo Lo's treatment than the "colorist" aspect. We are looking at how women athletes in general are treated. Not just black one. Or light skinned black ones. Female athletes in general.

And in general if they think you are cute, that alone can get you lots of media attention. While the same is NEVER true in male sports.

I'm sure more women found Rick Fox handsome in Laker days than Kobe or Shaq. But our sports media was never silly enough to even try to give Rick Fox more ink than the best Lakers. More press than Kobe, Shaq, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry etc..

If I had noticed Rick Fox getting a lot of attention before an NBA Finals started, I would have thought they had lost their minds at NBC or ABC. I would have asked, "Why all the focus on this scrub." lol
sprintzfan

Postby tracknut2012 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Lolo is slowing learning that the same media build you up to tear you down.
tracknut2012

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:53 pm

sprintzfan wrote:AK had some early success that I think journalists have tried to point to, as the reason she got so much attention. Like I think she made it to the Semis at Wimbledon at a very young age.

But that said, I think you make a good distinction about the difference in their lives. I don't know a lot about AK's upbringing, but I don't recall ever hearing any of the types of hardship I have heard about with Lo Lo. So you very well might have a strong point there jazz.

So you think the comparison to AK is unfair right? And people shouldn't make it. Am I interpresting your position right there?

I think female athletes in general hate being compared to AK, because they see her as a loser who wasn't serious about her craft and was more interested in being a celebrity. I once saw someone interviewing Maria Sharipova and the AK comparison was brought up and she got so mad that I thought she would strangle the reporter. I don't think Lolo would have gotten upset if someone had compared her to someone considered glamorous and attractive as long as that person was also recognized as being accomplished.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:57 pm

sprintzfan wrote:Tell me if you agree with the following jazzcyclist:

Yesterday over on the 100meter hurdle thread, we were discussing the Lo Lo phenomenon from more of a colorism type perspective? From the perspecive of how as I put it there, the very light skinned black woman is always considered better looking than the very dark skinned one in our mass media culture.

But today on this thread, and in the NYT article, we are more looking at the possible sexist aspects of Lo Lo's treatment than the "colorist" aspect. We are looking at how women athletes in general are treated. Not just black one. Or light skinned black ones. Female athletes in general.

And in general if they think you are cute, that alone can get you lots of media attention. While the same is NEVER true in male sports.

I'm sure more women found Rick Fox handsome in Laker days than Kobe or Shaq. But our sports media was never silly enough to even try to give Rick Fox more ink than the best Lakers. More press than Kobe, Shaq, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry etc..

If I had noticed Rick Fox getting a lot of attention before an NBA Finals started, I would have thought they had lost their minds at NBC or ABC. I would have asked, "Why all the focus on this scrub." lol

I agree that male athletes never get media attention because of their looks but they do get attention because of their personalities and life stories (eg. Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley, Jeremy Lin, Oscar Pistorious).
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Yahoo Sports wrote:it is not the job of the media to support athletes. It is the job of the media to cover the sport, both good and bad.

Oh REALLY? It is the job of the media to cover the sport for BAD?!
Edward R Murrow just spun OUT of his grave.
Can I please get a job in a profession (sic) where I am supposed to do bad!
[and yes, in this context, that's exactly what 'bad' refers to]
Marlow

Postby Pelpa » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Adriana S wrote:On The New York Times calling her the "Anna Kournikova of track":

"They didn't even do their research, calling me the Anna Kournikova of track. I have the American record. I am the American record holder indoors, I have two world indoor titles. Just because I don't boast about these things, I don't think I should be ripped apart by media."

She continued:

"I think it was crazy just because it was two days before I competed, and then the fact that it was from a U.S. media, they should be supporting our U.S. Olympic athletes and instead they just ripped me to shreds."

This is a disservice to Anna Kournikouva. Kournikouva was chosen by TVland and did go banging at the doors then the windows, she was chosen. She aint lo'williwinki.
Pelpa

Postby bekayne » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Just for the record, it wasn't the writer that made the comparison; he just quoted the professor at Western Ontario.
bekayne

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:23 pm

jazzcyclist wrote: I think female athletes in general hate being compared to AK, because they see her as a loser who wasn't serious about her craft and was more interested in being a celebrity. I once saw someone interviewing Maria Sharipova and the AK comparison was brought up and she got so mad that I thought she would strangle the reporter. I don't think Lolo would have gotten upset if someone had compared her to someone considered glamorous and attractive as long as that person was also recognized as being accomplished.

I agree with you. I can see how female athletes wouldn't like this.

But I think for some of them it is partially true. And it true for some women in other areas such as music, and broadcasting etc..

The truth hurts sometimes. Including the partial truth.

Speaking of Sharapova, I watch a program on ESPN called "Around the Horn" as often as I can. And one of the regulars on the show is a sports writer named Tim Cowlishaw. And he cleary has a crush on Sharapova.

Now I don't mind men including male sports journalists to have crushes on female athletes. I've got PLENTY of them myself. I adore athletic women. Heck, lust for many of them to be completely honest. lol

But I think it's stupid to confuse a female athlete you like or are attracted to, for one who is good.

Cowlishaw is always bringing up Sharapova's name, as though she is one of the very best in the game. If she is still in a tournament he talks about how good the tournament is going to be, because of her presence. Frankly. He talks about her as though she is as good as Serena. And every time I have seen Serena play her since '04 Wimbledon, Serena has totally whipped her ass. Including this past weekend in the Olympics.

So at least a little bit, I see some Kournakova in Sharapova too. I see men in the media like Cowlishaw pretending like she is much better than she really is. Just because he thinks she is hot.

Now I know a lot of black men who are attracted to Serena's body. (Not me, not my type.) But I have never noticed a male member of the media doing for Serena, what I think Cowlishaw does for Sharapova.

So yes, I do see a little "Kournakova effect" in the media handling of Sharapova. I honestly have never noticed Serena ever getting any of that. I see people acknowledge Serena's greatest as a tennis player. But I've never noticed any media member seeming to me to exaggerate her skills, because he things she is hot, or has a "bangin'" body, or a big butt.

If Serena's number of Grand Slam events was Sharapova's current number, and Sharapova's was Serena's current number, I don't think I'd hear Cowlishaw or most other media folks would bring up Serena's name that often. Not as often, as I see and hear things about Sharapova.

So althought without a doubt Sharapova is a FAR more accomplished tennis player than AK ever was, I nonetheless see a little "AK effect" in Sharapova's media treatment.
sprintzfan

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:33 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
I agree that male athletes never get media attention because of their looks but they do get attention because of their personalities and life stories (eg. Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley, Jeremy Lin, Oscar Pistorious).

Agreed.Totally agree with you on that.

Although I did think Lin's buzz was due to his being Asian. Which by the way never bothered me. I think when an athlete is completely different race than the vast majority who play that sport in that league, it is a legitimate interest or curiousity to notice the "unique" person.

I myself kinda felt that way about Jeremy Wariner. His apparent race interested me, and even added to how hard I rooted for him I think. I like seeing stereotypes disproved. To me Wariner was doing that some. Then I just liked the way that young guy carried himself. He was cool and had swag imo. I kinda miss him.
sprintzfan

Postby tracknut2012 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Lolo gave a tear jerker interview regarding the whole issue. Saw it on nbcbolympics.com
tracknut2012

Next