Gun (Lack of) Control

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:25 am

gh wrote:the latest wrinkle (unless somebody mentioned it higher up and I missed it): he had a 100-round drum magazine but it jammed early. Imagine the death toll if he had been able to squeeze off that many rounds.

It boggles the mind.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
The discussion was about automatic weapons. The story that you linked has nothing to do with automatic weapons. Obviously, you don't know what an automatic weapon is.

One kills more people more quickly than the other one? Who shives a git! If the mexican cartels are happy to get our semi automatics and kill thousands of their people why are you nit picking the armaments of death.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:21 am

jazzcyclist wrote: We live in an era in which the U.S. has the strictist gun control laws in our nation's history. The federal governmenmt has gradually chipped away at the Second Amendment with the passage of the the Gun Control Act (1968), the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act (1986) and the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (1994). So my question to you is why weren't incidents like the Colorado shooting happening 50 years ago, when gun control laws were a lot more lax than they are today?

As to tighter gun control laws you're being misleading. We have the loosest laws of any developed nation, and that is the issue. As to why more violence today than earlier? Numerous guesses: 1. Move to urban areas creates more violence. 2. Media has become more violence accepting. 3. Weapons have become deadlier. 4. NRA has amped up the paranoia of fear.

Others think that it's because it's become almost impossible to institutionize the mentally deranged without their consent and that nutjobs like the Colorado shooter would have been unable to hurt anyone 50 years ago because the would have already been commited to a mental institution. What's your theory Pego?

There has been no evidence that Holmes was insane and dangerous before Aurora. Quiet loners like him are everywhere.
jeremyp

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 am

gh wrote:the latest wrinkle (unless somebody mentioned it higher up and I missed it): he had a 100-round drum magazine but it jammed early. Imagine the death toll if he had been able to squeeze off that many rounds.

I think drum magazines should be banned because they're unreliable bulky. Furthermore, you can get 60 rounds with two 30-round banana clips tapes together and they're much more reliable, so why would anyone want to use one of those bulky things?
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 am

jeremyp wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
The discussion was about automatic weapons. The story that you linked has nothing to do with automatic weapons. Obviously, you don't know what an automatic weapon is.

One kills more people more quickly than the other one? Who shives a git! If the mexican cartels are happy to get our semi automatics and kill thousands of their people why are you nit picking the armaments of death.

Because unless you're going to ban semi-automatic weapons, which many people that I know have hunted with for years, what's the point? The only difference between semi-automatic hunting rifles and so-called "assault rifles" that can be purchased at gun shops throughout the South is the physical appearance.
jazzcyclist

Postby jhc68 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:56 am

The argument that 100-round magazines ought to be legal because they are inherently unreliable doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
And the argument that current gun laws are too strict put forth by a person who says he and his friends would flaunt laws they don't like anyway also seems like moot point.
But, as stated previously, neither side of this issue will make sense to the other...
jhc68

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:01 am

jeremyp wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote: We live in an era in which the U.S. has the strictist gun control laws in our nation's history. The federal governmenmt has gradually chipped away at the Second Amendment with the passage of the the Gun Control Act (1968), the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act (1986) and the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (1994). So my question to you is why weren't incidents like the Colorado shooting happening 50 years ago, when gun control laws were a lot more lax than they are today?

As to tighter gun control laws you're being misleading. We have the loosest laws of any developed nation, and that is the issue. As to why more violence today than earlier? Numerous guesses: 1. Move to urban areas creates more violence. 2. Media has become more violence accepting. 3. Weapons have become deadlier. 4. NRA has amped up the paranoia of fear.

When comparing the gun violence in the U.S. today to gun violence in the U.S. 50 years ago, other nation's laws are irrelevant. What matters is our laws today vs our laws 50 years ago.

As for your theories, #3 is false. There are many things that I could have bought 25 years ago that I can't buy today, and the reason I know this is because I bought some of them before the stricter laws went into effect. On the other hand, there's nothing significant that's available today that wasn't available 25 years ago. #4 makes no sense to me. Are you saying that the NRA's media campaign is making people more trigger happy? However, I do think #1 (urbanization of America) and #2 (media violence) seem very plausible. #2 has been discussed before, but I had never thought of #1 which makes a lot of sense.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:04 am

jhc68 wrote:The argument that 100-round magazines ought to be legal because they are inherently unreliable doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm sorry, I made a typo in my earlier post. I think drum magazines should be banned, not allowed. We're in agreement on this issue.
jazzcyclist

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:45 am

jazzcyclist wrote: #4 makes no sense to me. Are you saying that the NRA's media campaign is making people more trigger happy? However, I do think #1 (urbanization of America) and #2 (media violence) seem very plausible. #2 has been discussed before, but I had never thought of #1 which makes a lot of sense.

The NRA went on a "drum up the paranoia" campaign when Obama was elected. There was a huge spike on gun buys after it. The message was clear: "He'll ban guns so buy more." The NRA has done more to encourage the growth of gun buying than any other group and done more to quash sensible weapons bans and restrictions. Whether you like it or not more available guns makes for more violence. States with stricter gun laws have less gun violence, it's a fact. And Alaska is #1. Why? My guess is they hunt a lot so when violence occurs they have ready access.
jeremyp

Postby Vince » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:17 am

jeremyp wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote: #4 makes no sense to me. Are you saying that the NRA's media campaign is making people more trigger happy? However, I do think #1 (urbanization of America) and #2 (media violence) seem very plausible. #2 has been discussed before, but I had never thought of #1 which makes a lot of sense.

The NRA went on a "drum up the paranoia" campaign when Obama was elected. There was a huge spike on gun buys after it. The message was clear: "He'll ban guns so buy more." The NRA has done more to encourage the growth of gun buying than any other group and done more to quash sensible weapons bans and restrictions. Whether you like it or not more available guns makes for more violence. States with stricter gun laws have less gun violence, it's a fact. And Alaska is #1. Why? My guess is they hunt a lot so when violence occurs they have ready access.

What??? California has stricter gun laws and is in no way less violent.
Vince

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:18 am

jeremyp wrote:

The NRA went on a "drum up the paranoia" campaign when Obama was elected. There was a huge spike on gun buys after it. The message was clear: "He'll ban guns so buy more." The NRA has done more to encourage the growth of gun buying than any other group and done more to quash sensible weapons bans and restrictions.

There's no doubt that the NRA has promoted gun ownership, but I don't think increased gun sales makes people more trigger happy than they already were.
jeremyp wrote:States with stricter gun laws have less gun violence, it's a fact. And Alaska is #1.

Link please?

I thought that gun violence in cities like Newark, D.C., Los Angeles and Chicago was on par with gun violance in cities like Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta and Miami.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm hijacking my thread back. If you want a gun-control thread, please start one yourself, I'm sick of the gun apologetics.

The major studios are not releasing numbers this week, but inside sources say that even though DKR ticket sales may be down 20% because of the tragedy, it'll still approach record levels nearing $200M. Nolan and Bale quoted as saying they aren't even interested in discussing the movie, which given all the great creative work that went into it, is too bad and will forever cast a pall over its achievement.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Marlow wrote:I'm hijacking my thread back. If you want a gun-control thread, please start one yourself, I'm sick of the gun apologetics.

I'll respect your wishes but it wasn't me who hijacked your thread. guru
jazzcyclist

Postby JRM » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Vince wrote:Stop avoiding the point that common items can cause mass murder even if you banned all guns.

That's a complete distraction to the issue at hand. Anything can be used to kill someone, if the murderer is motivated enough. BUT there is only ONE weapon that can be used on the spur of the moment to kill someone *instantaneously* before giving them a chance to react (without taking out the person using it). And all you have to do it point it at them, and you don't even have to be near them to do it. Most explosives, chemical, biological, or even radiological weapons can't do that.

Vince wrote:A little perspective, number of murders in the US in 2010 approx. 16000. and 60% to 70% caused by firearms. Deaths by Motor Vehicles in 2010 were approx 33000 in the US..... suicides in the US in 2009 were approx. 37000.

60% to 70% is an overwhelming majority, so you've undermined your entire argument with that statistic. As for the other numbers, they are irrelevant comparisons.

jhc68 wrote:... the rebels would be decimated by weaponry so sophisticated and deadly that it is literally beyond the comprehension of most Americans.

Precisely. If there are any who still adhere to the idea that they can defend themselves against the government with their guns, they are sorely mistaken. Osama Bin Laden had a house full of guns and bodyguards. Taking on a federal army isn't going to be "Red Dawn."

Marlow wrote:I'm hijacking my thread back.

To respect Marlow's wishes, perhaps the powers above can split this thread starting with guru's post on the first page. (PS: I'll be seeing the movie on Wednesday, and am very much looking forward to it).
Last edited by JRM on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JRM

Postby mump boy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:10 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
mump boy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
mump boy wrote:this has NOTHING to do with the point i was making !! which you have conveniently avoided commenting on

I addressed the gun issue along with many other freedoms. There's no doubt that the U.S. is freer than the U.K. when it comes to guns and I pray that we never adopt your gun control laws.

The freedom to get shot to death while watching Batman is one i will gladly do without !!

Anyone can play the semantics game. For example, in the U.K. you are free to be defenseless victims without the right to defend yourself. You see how easy that is. For every Colorado nutjob we have in the U.S., we also have heroes like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm9o3vhKoF8

We don't have the need to defend ourselves because we have very few murders, because we have very few guns.
mump boy

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:44 pm

mump boy wrote:We don't have the need to defend ourselves because we have very few murders, because we have very few guns.

You don't have many gun crimes but you still have murders.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:17 pm

JRM wrote:perhaps the powers above can split this thread starting with guru's post on the first page.

Please do.
If that doesn't happen, and someone wants to continue that futile discussion, please start a gun thread. Thank you
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:22 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
mump boy wrote:We don't have the need to defend ourselves because we have very few murders, because we have very few guns.

Yea, but the numbers are infinitesimal compared to the US.

The number of murders and killings in England and Wales has fallen to the lowest level in nearly 30 years, Office for National Statistics figures show.

Police recorded 550 homicides in 2011-12, 88 fewer than the previous year and the lowest number since 1983.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18900384

By the way, it didn't take long to blame the victims.

Former Arizona State Sen. Russell Pearce wrote a missive Saturday highlighting the collective failure of the victims of the Aurora, Colo. massacre to stop the shooter who left 12 people dead and nearly 60 wounded in a movie theater.

The outspoken conservative — known for his ardent pro-gun and anti-illegal-immigration views — later sought to clarify that he was merely blaming gun control laws.

Early Saturday morning, the former Republican lawmaker took to Facebook to mourn the victims. He then wondered why none were “[b]rave” enough to stop the atrocity.

“Where were the men of flight 93???? Someone should have stopped this man,” he wrote. “…All that was needed is one Courages/Brave man prepared mentally or otherwise to stop this it could have been done.”

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012 ... fpnewsfeed
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:24 pm

Marlow wrote:
JRM wrote:perhaps the powers above can split this thread starting with guru's post on the first page.

Please do.
If that doesn't happen, and someone wants to continue that futile discussion, please start a gun thread. Thank you

Marlow, just start a Movie only thread on your own. In fact I will do it. :D
Conor Dary

Re: Very Ugly Gun Thread

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:37 pm

done,
Marlow

Postby Vince » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:57 pm

JRM wrote:
Vince wrote:Stop avoiding the point that common items can cause mass murder even if you banned all guns.

That's a complete distraction to the issue at hand. Anything can be used to kill someone, if the murderer is motivated enough. BUT there is only ONE weapon that can be used on the spur of the moment to kill someone *instantaneously* before giving them a chance to react (without taking out the person using it). And all you have to do it point it at them, and you don't even have to be near them to do it. Most explosives, chemical, biological, or even radiological weapons can't do that.

Vince wrote:A little perspective, number of murders in the US in 2010 approx. 16000. and 60% to 70% caused by firearms. Deaths by Motor Vehicles in 2010 were approx 33000 in the US..... suicides in the US in 2009 were approx. 37000.

60% to 70% is an overwhelming majority, so you've undermined your entire argument with that statistic. As for the other numbers, they are irrelevant comparisons.

First of all, stick to the topic which was mass murder like Aurora. There are many ways a lunatic Doctoral student could have carried out that madness and gun control wouldn't stop it.

Regarding your second statement, I wasn't making any argument at all with those facts, you cobbled it together with the first one to make your illogical grandiose pronouncement.
Vince

Postby JRM » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Vince wrote:First of all, stick to the topic which was mass murder like Aurora. There are many ways a lunatic Doctoral student could have carried out that madness and gun control wouldn't stop it.

Here's the topic: he used a GUN to kill 12 people and injure 58. There is no other weapon he could have done that with in the time allotted, short of a hand-grenade or improvised explosive device (which are illegal). What topic am I not sticking to? Exactly what kind of ingenious weapon do you think a neuroscience Ph.D. student going to come up with?

Vince wrote:
JRM wrote:

Regarding your second statement, I wasn't making any argument at all with those facts, you cobbled it together with the first one to make your illogical grandiose pronouncement.

I see. You were quoting random statistics for fun. No problem, then.
JRM

Postby mump boy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:29 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

as i previously posted 550 in a year compared to US 16,000 !! adjusted for population that approx 6 times more murders than usm, mainly driven by guns, you have 3 times as many gun murders than we have murders in general !! *

What ever 'freedoms' this affords you glady free from them

*mump boys maths skills are not what they should be :?
mump boy

Postby Vince » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 am

JRM wrote:
Here's the topic: he used a GUN to kill 12 people and injure 58. There is no other weapon he could have done that with in the time allotted, short of a hand-grenade or improvised explosive device (which are illegal). What topic am I not sticking to? Exactly what kind of ingenious weapon do you think a neuroscience Ph.D. student going to come up with?

A match, balloons filled with oil/gas, a blocked exit in a crowded theater.

JRM wrote:

I see. You were quoting random statistics for fun. No problem, then.

PS: Look up the meaning of perspective.
Vince

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:24 am

Vince wrote:
jeremyp wrote:

Not according to this chart. http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa/ ... death-rate. California ranked 34th. New York (47th) is also rated lower. Interesting as they have many large urban areas.
jeremyp

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:31 am

mump boy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

as i previously posted 550 in a year compared to US 16,000 !! adjusted for population that approx 6 times more murders than usm, mainly driven by guns, you have 3 times as many gun murders than we have murders in general !! *

Based on the stats I've seen, of 16,000 murders in the U.S., only 9000 were with guns. That's barely half, and hardly what I would describe as "mainly driven by guns". Apparently, even the non-gun murder rate in the U.S. is considerably higher than the overall murder rate in the U.K. And if guns were taken out of circulation in the U.S., it's a good bet that the non-gun murder rate would be greater than 7000 as people sought out other means to kill.
jazzcyclist

Postby Vince » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 am

jeremyp wrote:
Vince wrote:
jeremyp wrote:

Not according to this chart. http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa/ ... death-rate. California ranked 34th. New York (47th) is also rated lower. Interesting as they have many large urban areas.

It isn't according to the U.S. census.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/ ... 2s0308.pdf
Vince

Postby Vince » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:46 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
mump boy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Based on the stats I've seen, of 16,000 murders in the U.S., only 9000 were with guns. That's barely half, and hardly what I would describe as "mainly driven by guns". Apparently, even the non-gun murder rate in the U.S. is considerably higher than the overall murder rate in the U.K. And if guns were taken out of circulation in the U.S., it's a good bet that the non-gun murder rate would be greater than 7000 as people sought out other means to kill.

It would be better to say that the US has a more murderess society, the cause of which seems to be drugs and gangs.
Vince

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:10 am

Vince wrote: What??? California has stricter gun laws and is in no way less violent.

My chart focused on gun deaths. Yours on murder per se. Although I'm never sure if per capita surveys are useful as the larger the population the more diluted the results. It's more useful to look at Large cities across the world. I'll try to see if I can get figures.
Here's a sobering statistic from 2006-2007:
People living in 50 of the largest U.S. cities accounted for 67% of all firearm homicides, and most involved children and teens aged 10 to 19

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/16/c ... z21SUBAZ6J
Our minority children are killing off our minority children.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:27 am

It is reported that a semi-automatic rifle jammed during the Aurora attack and the gunman switched to a weapon with less firepower, possibly saving some lives.
jeremyp

Postby Vince » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:37 am

jeremyp wrote:
Vince wrote: What??? California has stricter gun laws and is in no way less violent.

My chart focused on gun deaths. Yours on murder per se. Although I'm never sure if per capita surveys are useful as the larger the population the more diluted the results. It's more useful to look at Large cities across the world. I'll try to see if I can get figures.
Here's a sobering statistic from 2006-2007:
People living in 50 of the largest U.S. cities accounted for 67% of all firearm homicides, and most involved children and teens aged 10 to 19

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/16/c ... z21SUBAZ6J
Our minority children are killing off our minority children.

The US also has a 3100 km border with a 3rd world country. My friend, a larger statistical population increases accuracy, but also comparing apples to apples is more accurate.
Vince

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 am

Vince wrote: The US also has a 3100 km border with a 3rd world country. My friend, a larger statistical population increases accuracy, but also comparing apples to apples is more accurate.
As to larger statistical populations and accuracy there is the issue of large states being large due to large cities and gun violence increases in urban areas and especially inner cities. So comparing Alaska to California on a per capita basis doesn't necessarily tell an accurate picture. While we deplore the mass shootings that seem to often be non minority on non minority the media largely ignores the daily inner city killings that probably exceed the Aurora shooting by 2x.
jeremyp

Postby JRM » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 am

Vince wrote:
JRM wrote: Exactly what kind of ingenious weapon do you think a neuroscience Ph.D. student going to come up with?

A match, balloons filled with oil/gas, a blocked exit in a crowded theater.

How heavy do you think the balloons would be in order to have enough gas to have a significant impact (besides setting off panic)? Also, as I mentioned before, after the first balloon or two are lobbed, people will react: some will say "Stop it!", some will flee, and some are quite likely to storm him (because he doesn't present a bodily threat if he's just throwing balloons).

Vince wrote:
JRM wrote:I see. You were quoting random statistics for fun. No problem, then.

PS: Look up the meaning of perspective.

Please explain what "perspective" you were trying to demonstrate, because it's unclear to me. And also, what do motor vehicle-related deaths and suicides have to do with gun-related murders?

By the way, would you mind doing one more bit of research: can you find the number of murders by gasoline-filled-balloon dousing that occur in the US each year? That would provide some additional perspective for us.
JRM

Postby rsb2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 am

@ JRM
Stop talking like a crazy Canadian, eh !
rsb2

Postby Bijan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:29 pm

I have a friend who moved to Centennial, Col. circa 2008, who was in the theatre when the mayhem occurred. She's interviewed in an online podcast for local radio:

under "Podcast:

http://www.95sx.com/

Legislators will do no more to ban or restrict (non-hunting) firearms from easy access and street use, than they did when their fellow lawmakers and staff JFK, RFK, Presidents Ford and Reagan, James Brady, and Rep. Gabi Gifford were victim to them.
Bijan

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Well, here's some depressing news for gun-control advocates courtesy a Gallup poll just referenced on MSNBC's Hardball.. According to this poll, attitudes of Americans have steadily become more pro-gun and less pro-gun control over the last 20 years, and young people today are more pro-gun than their parents and grandparents. On just about every other major issue (eg. gay rights, race, healthcare, drugs, etc .), liberals are winning the hearts and minds of young people, but on the issue of guns, it is the NRA that is winning the hearts and minds of young people. Perhaps this is why American politicians are loathe to touch the third rail of gun control.
jazzcyclist

Postby Daisy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:it is the NRA that is winning the hearts and minds of young people.

No doubt, they have a well coordinated campaign. Look how well Joe Camel did for cancer sticks.
Daisy

Postby JRM » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:18 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Well, here's some depressing news for gun-control advocates courtesy a Gallup poll just referenced on MSNBC's Hardball..

I would say that's depressing news for American society, but what do I know -- I'm just a crazy Canadian.
JRM

Postby JRM » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Meanwhile, in another part of the country... The next worst thing about mass shootings is the copy-cat mentality.

====
... A trooper stopped Timothy Courtois, 49, for doing 112 mph on the Maine Turnpike Sunday morning, police said. Motorists had reported seeing a speeding Mustang with its flashers on.

Upon pulling him over, police found an assault rifle, four handguns and several boxes of ammunition, they said. Also found inside his car were recent news clippings of the mass shooting at the Colorado movie theater, police said.

Police said Courtois then admitted to police he had attended the Batman movie at the Cinemagic Theater in Saco Saturday night with a loaded gun in his backpack. He also told authorities that he was on his way to Derry, N.H. to shoot a former employer.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/Police-M ... z21TXt4aKl
JRM

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 am

Daisy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:it is the NRA that is winning the hearts and minds of young people.

No doubt, they have a well coordinated campaign. Look how well Joe Camel did for cancer sticks.

One observation that someone made yesterday is that the NRA isn't winning over all these young people by themselves, rather they are getting a lot of help from the video game industry and Hollywood's action movie industry.
jazzcyclist

PreviousNext