Gun (Lack of) Control


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Marlow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:25 am

odelltrclan wrote:I doubt the number of killings in this country would change.

That's where we virulently disagree. Guns allow disturbed people to kill with ease. Without that ease, cowards (and they all are de facto - they can't work things out in a direct sane manner) simply don't have the nerve to do what they do. Everyone is whole lot braver with a gun in their hand. Talk about the ultimate enabling device.

I'm so disgusted with this topic, I'll quit this thread now, or gh will end up banning me for saying what I really think.

edit - Jazz, really? You're going to quibble about how FAST it shoots?! My dear friend died in a hail of 10 rounds in just a few short seconds. :(
Marlow
 
Posts: 21134
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby jeremyp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:47 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
gh wrote:
jazz cyclist wrote:...there are no gun laws that can stop a determined killer. ....


That is correct, but one can certainly make it harder to be a mass killer.

I would argue (as somebody who has 5 guns in his house by the way, and started shooting at age 4, so I'm no anti-gun nut) that nobody needs a fully auto AK47 with a 30-round clip.

Automatic weapons have been strictly reguilated since 1968. You can't just go down to your local gunshop and buy one a whim.

Actually in Arizona you can, and I am sure in oter strates as well. "Fast and Furious" was all about "allowing" locals to buy up automatic weapons en masse, legally, and then arrest them before they got to Mexico. Unfortunately the AG's would not /could not arrest anybody because buying these wapons en masse was legal. As far as buying an automatic weapon I have little doubt I could get one if I had the urge to. I have friends who have done so (in Florida) and with no trouble at all. Some of my friends are ex cops and they are appalled at how easy it is to get them.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby jeremyp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:52 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
jeremyp wrote:Why do we need the freedom to acquire automatic weapons?

As I said in my previous post, buying automatic weapons is very, very difficult and very expensive. It's probably easier to buy a semi-automatic weapon in the U.K than it is to buy an automatic weapon in the U.S. I can tell you this from personal experience.
Not in Florida or Arizona (read my other post).

jeremyp wrote:kevlar vests?

Why not? What harm can a nutjob inflict on someone with a kevlar vest? I think purely defensive items like this should be totally unregulated. How many people would have survived the shooting if they had been wearing one?


You don't seriously think we should all wear vests in public because the gun laws are so ludicrous do you? I can see the headlines now: "100's of people saved from death due to wearing of kevlar vests during mass shooting. Vests will now be mandatory at all theaters."
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby bad hammy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:56 am

The guy had four guns, only one of which is remotely related to hunting. The other three have no business being sold to average citizens. Our country is fucked up in a multitude of ways and this is one shining example. (And I too own guns, but nothing with the rapid firepower that this guy's guns had.)
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Pego » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:06 am

odelltrclan wrote: Society despite (or perhaps because of) all it "progressivism" is losing core values as you noted.


Perhaps, but this is an excerpt from the article on the killer.

"A longtime neighbor in San Diego, where Holmes grew up, remembers only a "shy guy ... a loner" from a churchgoing family. In addition to playing soccer at Westview High School, he ran cross country."
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby TrakFan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:10 am

I saw the movie yesterday. Although we're 70 miles away from Aurora I couldn't help watching the exit doors during the first gun battle...I literally forgot about the film and started imaging what those folk went through up north. It took a while to get lost again in the movie -- and I did because it was excellent...as indicated by the (rare) applause afterwards!
TrakFan
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:13 am

Marlow wrote:edit - Jazz, really? You're going to quibble about how FAST it shoots?! My dear friend died in a hail of 10 rounds in just a few short seconds. :(

I don't consider this quibbling at all. It's more like you're being loose with your gun terminology to further your argument.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:19 am

jeremyp wrote:Actually in Arizona you can, and I am sure in oter strates as well. "Fast and Furious" was all about "allowing" locals to buy up automatic weapons en masse, legally, and then arrest them before they got to Mexico. Unfortunately the AG's would not /could not arrest anybody because buying these wapons en masse was legal. As far as buying an automatic weapon I have little doubt I could get one if I had the urge to. I have friends who have done so (in Florida) and with no trouble at all. Some of my friends are ex cops and they are appalled at how easy it is to get them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! The Gun Control Act of 1968 didn't give states any sort of latitude on automatic weapons. We're talking federal regulation, not state regulation, and as you know, federal law trumps state law. I'm not saying it's impossible to get an automatic weapon legally, just difficult and expensive. By the way, there's a big difference between automatic and semi-automatic when talking about guns. Are you sure you know the difference?

Edit: FYI, How to Buy an Automatic Weapon
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby odelltrclan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:20 am

Pego wrote:
odelltrclan wrote: Society despite (or perhaps because of) all it "progressivism" is losing core values as you noted.


Perhaps, but this is an excerpt from the article on the killer.

"A longtime neighbor in San Diego, where Holmes grew up, remembers only a "shy guy ... a loner" from a churchgoing family. In addition to playing soccer at Westview High School, he ran cross country."


Pego, I am not sure exactly what you are implying here, but, this quote really makes no change in what I was stating. I don't know the facts associated with this individual but the fact that he was raised in a churchgoing family actually could be reinforcing the argument. I have had a number of acquaintances in my life go from "churchgoing" to non-church going, agnosticism and athiesm in large part to progressivism and the secularism movement and I believe that has a part in society losing core values. I am not suggesting that all agnostics or athiests do not have values. But, many who were raised with those values who lose their belief in God also may struggle with a sense of right or wrong and end up with serious issues. I wonder if some of these nut jobs come from such a background? Obviously something goes off inside of them to jump to doing something like this.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:50 am

JazzC...I'm with you on the freedom issue here and I don't know how easy/hard it is to get an fully auto anything, but I do know it is pretty easy to convert a semi-auto to a fully-auto rifle,(just file down the catch on the trigger mechanism) but in a crowded theater a semi-auto gun/rifle is going to kill a lot of people, so it doesn't make any sense to quibble over semi vs fully auto. To all the gun control people, would you have preferred that he spray all the patrons with an oily gasoline mixture and then throw a match and lock the fire escapes on his way out? It's not about the method, it's why, as a society, are people becoming murdering Zombies?

Pego.... I'm not referring to any particular religion or political view...just how desensitized and receptive our current culture is toward violence.
Vince
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:54 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Why not? What harm can a nutjob inflict on someone with a kevlar vest? I think purely defensive items like this should be totally unregulated. How many people would have survived the shooting if they had been wearing one?


This is not Kabul. That has to be the dumbest comment here.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:56 am

Vince wrote: To all the gun control people, would you have preferred that he spray all the patrons with an oily gasoline mixture and then throw a match and lock the fire escapes on his way out?


How does one respond to such idiotic comment? I am lost for words....

It is silly statements like this, along with this 'freedom' nonsense, which is really just a campaign ad, that a real discussion, let alone finding a solution, is impossible on this topic.

Gun control is a losing campaign issue. Absolutely nothing is going to be done on a federal level in the foreseeable future.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:33 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Vince wrote: To all the gun control people, would you have preferred that he spray all the patrons with an oily gasoline mixture and then throw a match and lock the fire escapes on his way out?


How does one respond to such idiotic comment? I am lost for words....

It is silly statements like this, along with this 'freedom' nonsense, which is really just a campaign ad, that a real discussion, let alone finding a solution, is impossible on this topic.

Gun control is a losing campaign issue. Absolutely nothing is going to be done on a federal level in the foreseeable future.


Why don't you stop calling people who don't agree with you idiots/stupid? It's people like you that make the topic impossible. There are rational solutions to violence that all people can agree upon.
Vince
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:54 am

Vince wrote:

Why don't you stop calling people who don't agree with you idiots? It's people like you that make the topic impossible. There are rational solutions to violence that all people can agree upon.


Rational solutions? Name one, instead of the usual 'freedom' nonsense, or some moronic scenario. And not where everyone goes around in kevlar armour and armed to the teeth.

Let us be honest. These threads really go nowhere. There are no solutions in today's political climate. These mass shootings have taken on the character of tornado disasters. We feel dreadful for the people involved and kind words are said, but really nothing changes and we can only wait for the next one.

PS. At least with a tornado you sometimes get a warning.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby gh » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:08 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:...
Why not? What harm can a nutjob inflict on someone with a kevlar vest? I think purely defensive items like this should be totally unregulated....


I have family members in the law enforcement business who would disagree with you strongly. They don't really like the thought of confronting bulletproof nut jobs.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:23 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Vince wrote:

Why don't you stop calling people who don't agree with you idiots? It's people like you that make the topic impossible. There are rational solutions to violence that all people can agree upon.


Rational solutions? Name one


X ratings for sadistically violent movies.
Vince
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Vince wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
Vince wrote:

Why don't you stop calling people who don't agree with you idiots? It's people like you that make the topic impossible. There are rational solutions to violence that all people can agree upon.


Rational solutions? Name one


X ratings for sadistically violent movies.


As I said, a rational solution.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Apparently you don't have a problem with a 8 yr. old seeing a bound victim disemboweled as long as they are accompanied by an adult.
Last edited by Vince on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby jeremyp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:38 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
jeremyp wrote:Actually in Arizona you can, and I am sure in oter strates as well. "Fast and Furious" was all about "allowing" locals to buy up automatic weapons en masse, legally, and then arrest them before they got to Mexico. Unfortunately the AG's would not /could not arrest anybody because buying these wapons en masse was legal. As far as buying an automatic weapon I have little doubt I could get one if I had the urge to. I have friends who have done so (in Florida) and with no trouble at all. Some of my friends are ex cops and they are appalled at how easy it is to get them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! The Gun Control Act of 1968 didn't give states any sort of latitude on automatic weapons. We're talking federal regulation, not state regulation, and as you know, federal law trumps state law. I'm not saying it's impossible to get an automatic weapon legally, just difficult and expensive. By the way, there's a big difference between automatic and semi-automatic when talking about guns. Are you sure you know the difference?

Edit: FYI, How to Buy an Automatic Weapon

From a Fortune investigative series.
Arizona, the state ranked by the gun-control advocacy group Legal Community Against Violence as having the nation's "weakest gun violence prevention laws." Just 200 miles from Mexico, which prohibits gun sales, the Phoenix area is home to 853 federally licensed firearms dealers. Billboards advertise volume discounts for multiple purchases.

Customers can legally buy as many weapons as they want in Arizona as long as they're 18 or older and pass a criminal background check. There are no waiting periods and no need for permits, and buyers are allowed to resell the guns. "In Arizona," says Voth, "someone buying three guns is like someone buying a sandwich."

By 2009 the Sinaloa drug cartel had made Phoenix its gun supermarket and recruited young Americans as its designated shoppers or straw purchasers. Voth and his agents began investigating a group of buyers, some not even old enough to buy beer, whose members were plunking down as much as $20,000 in cash to purchase up to 20 semiautomatics at a time, and then delivering the weapons to others.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2 ... ous-truth/
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Pego » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:56 pm

odelltrclan wrote: But, many who were raised with those values who lose their belief in God also may struggle with a sense of right or wrong and end up with serious issues


Sorry, I disagree. There is no evidence that moral values of any kind are linked to individual's religiosity or irreligiosity. There are nice guys and assholes in both camps.

Vince wrote:Pego.... I'm not referring to any particular religion or political view...just how desensitized and receptive our current culture is toward violence.


Yes, with this I agree. I am just not sure, if there is a link. People have been committing atrocities throughout the ages long before our current culture.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Pego wrote:
Vince wrote:Pego.... I'm not referring to any particular religion or political view...just how desensitized and receptive our current culture is toward violence.


Yes, with this I agree. I am just not sure, if there is a link. People have been committing atrocities throughout the ages long before our current culture.


Right, percentage wise compared to historic atrocities, we are probably less murderess today. I bet the perpetrators back then were also desensitized because they were raised in a violent culture.
Vince
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby kuha » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:17 pm

Pego wrote:
odelltrclan wrote: But, many who were raised with those values who lose their belief in God also may struggle with a sense of right or wrong and end up with serious issues


Sorry, I disagree. There is no evidence that moral values of any kind are linked to individual's religiosity or irreligiosity. There are nice guys and assholes in both camps.


Correct. Let's just say that it's very "amusing" to try picturing, say, Aristotle (who very obviously wasn't a Christian) as having "no values." This attempt to link a particular kind of religiosity to any superior sort of moral "virtue" is just a non-starter.
kuha
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Vince wrote:Apparently you don't have a problem with a 8 yr. old seeing a bound victim disemboweled as long as they are accompanied by an adult.


Another idiotic comment that is impossible to reply to.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:04 pm

James Fallows in The Atlantic gets to the heart of the problem that I have been pointing out. And it isn't some silly, a movie is the cause of it all, nonsense, but the fact that psychopaths are nothing unique to the US, but rather other countries do something about it.

    Like everyone, and I'd say especially like every parent, I am of course saddened and horrified by the latest mass shooting-murder. My sympathies to all.

    And of course the additional sad, horrifying, and appalling point is the shared American knowledge that, beyond any doubt, this will happen again, and that it will happen in America many, many times before it occurs anywhere else.

    Recently I visited the site of the "Port Arthur Massacre," in Tasmania, where in 1996 a disturbed young man shot and killed 35 people and wounded 23 more. The site is a kind of national shrine; afterwards, Australia tightened up its gun laws, and there has been nothing remotely comparable in all the years since. In contrast: not long after that shooting, during my incarnation as news-magazine editor, I dispatched reporters to cover then-shocking schoolyard mass shootings in West Paducah, Kentucky, and Jonesboro, Arkansas. Those two episodes, coming back to back, were -- as always -- supposed to provoke a "national discussion" about guns and gun violence. As always, they didn't; a while later they were nudged from the national consciousness by Columbine; and since then we have had so many schoolyard- or public-place shootings that those two are barely mentioned.

    The Brady Campaign's list of mass shootings in America just since 2005 is 62 pages long.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... gs/260133/

And Adam Gopnik in the New Yorker today:

    The truth is made worse by the reality that no one--really no one--anywhere on the political spectrum has the courage to speak out about the madness of unleashed guns and what they do to American life....

    The reality is simple: every country struggles with madmen and ideologues with guns, and every country--Canada, Norway, Britain--has had a gun massacre once, or twice. Then people act to stop them, and they do--as over the past few years has happened in Australia. Only in America are gun massacres of this kind routine, expectable, and certain to continue.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/n ... z21BpEZtmr
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:12 pm

kuha wrote:
Pego wrote:
odelltrclan wrote: But, many who were raised with those values who lose their belief in God also may struggle with a sense of right or wrong and end up with serious issues


Sorry, I disagree. There is no evidence that moral values of any kind are linked to individual's religiosity or irreligiosity. There are nice guys and assholes in both camps.


Correct. Let's just say that it's very "amusing" to try picturing, say, Aristotle (who very obviously wasn't a Christian) as having "no values." This attempt to link a particular kind of religiosity to any superior sort of moral "virtue" is just a non-starter.

When did someone say not being a "Christian" gave you "no values"??? Your biases are showing.

Aristotle did write this "We say therefore that God is a living being, eternal, most good, so that life and duration continuous and eternal belong to God; for this is God."
Vince
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Vince wrote:Apparently you don't have a problem with a 8 yr. old seeing a bound victim disemboweled as long as they are accompanied by an adult.


Another idiotic comment that is impossible to reply to.

It's only impossible for you because it's correct.
Vince
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Vince wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
Vince wrote:Apparently you don't have a problem with a 8 yr. old seeing a bound victim disemboweled as long as they are accompanied by an adult.


Another idiotic comment that is impossible to reply to.

It's only impossible for you because it's correct.


Vince, you are a sad fellow....

By the way, where is that rational solution?
Last edited by Conor Dary on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Conor Dary wrote: And it isn't some silly, a movie is the cause of it all, nonsense, but the fact that psychopaths are nothing unique to the US, but rather other countries do something about it.


Too bad you have to lie. It was never said a movie was the cause of it all. Listen close ....IT IS A DESENSITIZATION TO VIOLENCE.
Vince
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Vince wrote:
Conor Dary wrote: And it isn't some silly, a movie is the cause of it all, nonsense, but the fact that psychopaths are nothing unique to the US, but rather other countries do something about it.


Too bad you have to lie. It was never said a movie was the cause of it all. Listen close ....IT IS A DESENSITIZATION TO VIOLENCE.


Sadder, and sadder....

Though it is amazing how these movies are shown all over the world, but some how we are the only ones affected? Hmmmm..
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Vince wrote:
Conor Dary wrote: And it isn't some silly, a movie is the cause of it all, nonsense, but the fact that psychopaths are nothing unique to the US, but rather other countries do something about it.


Too bad you have to lie. It was never said a movie was the cause of it all. Listen close ....IT IS A DESENSITIZATION TO VIOLENCE.


Sadder, and sadder....

Though it is amazing how these movies are shown all over the world, but some how we are the only ones affected? Hmmmm..

Look up mass killings in Norway, Australia, Great Britain, Finland, Germany, Russia, Japan etc......it's not just a US problem and not all of them used guns.
Vince
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:01 pm

Vince wrote:Look up mass killings in Norway, Australia, Great Britain, Finland, Germany, Russia, Japan etc......it's not just a US problem and not all of them used guns.


The saddest of all...why don't you read my earlier post, which looks at just that. Yes, there have been massacres in other countries. I was in England when the school shooting at Dunblane, Scotland happened in 1996. But the difference, as noted, is they did something about them.

Meanwhile, the tiresomeness of this thread goes on and on...:roll: :roll:
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Pego » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Vince wrote:Aristotle did write this "We say therefore that God is a living being, eternal, most good, so that life and duration continuous and eternal belong to God; for this is God."


Do you know where I could find it? This would be a strange declaration from a polytheist whose pupil (Alexander the Great) held Judaism (and the inhabitants of Judea/Samaria) in contempt.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby TrakFan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Pego wrote:Do you know where I could find it? This would be a strange declaration from a polytheist whose pupil (Alexander the Great) held Judaism (and the inhabitants of Judea/Samaria) in contempt.


http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/metaphysics.html

Book VII, part 7...didn't read it all for context, but the actual quote is located there.
TrakFan
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:54 pm

jeremyp wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
jeremyp wrote:Actually in Arizona you can, and I am sure in oter strates as well. "Fast and Furious" was all about "allowing" locals to buy up automatic weapons en masse, legally, and then arrest them before they got to Mexico. Unfortunately the AG's would not /could not arrest anybody because buying these wapons en masse was legal. As far as buying an automatic weapon I have little doubt I could get one if I had the urge to. I have friends who have done so (in Florida) and with no trouble at all. Some of my friends are ex cops and they are appalled at how easy it is to get them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! The Gun Control Act of 1968 didn't give states any sort of latitude on automatic weapons. We're talking federal regulation, not state regulation, and as you know, federal law trumps state law. I'm not saying it's impossible to get an automatic weapon legally, just difficult and expensive. By the way, there's a big difference between automatic and semi-automatic when talking about guns. Are you sure you know the difference?

Edit: FYI, How to Buy an Automatic Weapon

From a Fortune investigative series.
Arizona, the state ranked by the gun-control advocacy group Legal Community Against Violence as having the nation's "weakest gun violence prevention laws." Just 200 miles from Mexico, which prohibits gun sales, the Phoenix area is home to 853 federally licensed firearms dealers. Billboards advertise volume discounts for multiple purchases.

Customers can legally buy as many weapons as they want in Arizona as long as they're 18 or older and pass a criminal background check. There are no waiting periods and no need for permits, and buyers are allowed to resell the guns. "In Arizona," says Voth, "someone buying three guns is like someone buying a sandwich."

By 2009 the Sinaloa drug cartel had made Phoenix its gun supermarket and recruited young Americans as its designated shoppers or straw purchasers. Voth and his agents began investigating a group of buyers, some not even old enough to buy beer, whose members were plunking down as much as $20,000 in cash to purchase up to 20 semiautomatics at a time, and then delivering the weapons to others.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2 ... ous-truth/


The discussion was about automatic weapons. The story that you linked has nothing to do with automatic weapons. Obviously, you don't know what an automatic weapon is.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby TrakFan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Poor Marlow. I appreciate his reviews and overall love of movies -- and feel bad that this thread was hijacked. :(
TrakFan
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Pego » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Thank you, TrakFan. I cannot find it there :( .
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby TrakFan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Pego wrote:Thank you, TrakFan. I cannot find it there :( .


Oops Book XII, Part 7...3rd paragraph :oops:

Here's the link: http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/metap ... 2.xii.html
TrakFan
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Pego » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:25 pm

TrakFan wrote:
Pego wrote:Thank you, TrakFan. I cannot find it there :( .


Oops Book XII, Part 7...3rd paragraph :oops:

Here's the link: http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/metap ... 2.xii.html


Thanks again. Most interesting. I would love to know what was the Greek word translated into English as "God."
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby kuha » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Yes, it's there, but I'm not sure what the relevance is. Aristotle is using God to define his First Mover. The key is that the concept for him is not "religious," but a matter of "physics." More centrally, it is a logical necessity for him--thus, it is a matter of reason, not "faith." So Aristotle's God is, as far as I can tell, reasonably similar to Spinoza's, with relatively little to do with a Biblical deity.
kuha
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby JRM » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Vince wrote:To all the gun control people, would you have preferred that he spray all the patrons with an oily gasoline mixture and then throw a match and lock the fire escapes on his way out? It's not about the method, ...


Would you mind citing all the instances of mass murder by dousing of gasoline? I'm sure there must be a number of them in the countries where guns aren't as accessible, because they still have the crazy people....
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests