Aussie Aussie Aussie - 2013

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie - 2012

Postby Vault-emort » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:11 am

So.....for future World/OG qualifying (CG shouldn't need it - they should be auto selections every time), what should the AA's relay strategy be?

I'd prefer something like this:

A) International (eg NZL/OCE) races for 4x1/4x4 over a two-day meet - eg Hobart.

B) 1 (or 2) weeks after Melbourne GP/State Champs, a relay camp/meet is held in conjunction with ACT Championships. NZL/Asian teams are invited - perhaps 3 races at 4x1 and 2x4x4 over a two-day period. Olympic/WC team members are required to participate and hopefully best AUS B/U20/U18 squads also start.

C) If qualification still in doubt (ie not Top 10) then a Japan/Korea fallback strategy planned. Otherwise it's pre-departure relay training camps in GCO with a competitive o/s race or 2 prior to the international contest
Vault-emort

Postby Athleticsimaging » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 am

Vault-emort wrote:So.....for future World/OG qualifying (CG shouldn't need it - they should be auto selections every time), what should the AA's relay strategy be?

A) International (eg NZL/OCE) races for 4x1/4x4 over a two-day meet - eg Hobart.

B) 1 (or 2) weeks after Melbourne GP/State Champs, a relay camp/meet is held in conjunction with ACT Championships. NZL/Asian teams are invited - perhaps 3 races at 4x1 and 2x4x4 over a two-day period. Olympic/WC team members are required to participate and hopefully best AUS B/U20/U18 squads also start.

C) If qualification still in doubt (ie not Top 10) then a Japan/Korea fallback strategy planned. Otherwise it's pre-departure relay training camps in GCO with a competitive o/s race or 2 prior to the international contest

Hmmm, well planned, timely, integrated with a fallback strategy - NO AA JOB FOR YOU!

PS, vault-emort: the Canberra Times had an article and photo on Judy Wilson (Canty) re her '48 Olympic memories. Probably nothing new but I can transcribe it for you if you want. Let me know here.
Athleticsimaging

Postby Athleticsimaging » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:46 am

Vault-emort wrote:So.....for future World/OG qualifying (CG shouldn't need it - they should be auto selections every time), what should the AA's relay strategy be?

Hmmm, well planned, timely, integrated with a fallback strategy - NO AA JOB FOR YOU!

PS, vault-emort: the Canberra Times had an article and photo on Judy Wilson (Canty) re her '48 Olympic memories. Probably nothing new but I can transcribe it for you if you want. Let me know here.

edit: Now online http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/l ... 212zm.html
Athleticsimaging

Postby AS » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:31 pm

So our most vocal male athlete, John Steffensen has been occupying loads of column space with his latest bout of griping.

For those who missed it he's citing racism, bias and various other crimes against humanity because 19yo Steve Solomon has been granted a discretionary 400m slot for London (i.e. as a B-qualifier - one of only two in our team I believe).

What I'm stunned is not being discussed in the press is simply that Steff has no real case for the spot anyway, beyond winning the Trials race way back in March (which didn't guarantee him anything due to his lack of A).

Here's their respective top 5 times for 2012:

Steff:
45.61 Sydney 18 Feb
45.74 Melbourne 3 Mar
46.11 Perth 11 Feb
46.11 Villeneuve d'Ascq 9 Jun
46.45 Madrid 7 Jul

Solomon:
45.52 Barcelona 12 Jul
45.54 Melbourne 15 Apr
45.71 Mannheim 23 Jun
45.80 Brisbane 8 Jun
45.99 Sydney 16 Mar (after a 46.19 heat the day before)

Furthermore Solomon strung together these 3 runs over 3 days at WJ: 46.16, 46.07 & 45.52 PB (=3)

Solomon's PR of last week is faster than any time Steff's run this decade (since his 45.28-led 2009 season).

Not a single journo I've seen (or AA official) has made this clear.

I do feel for Steff, as I rate him our best male sprinter of the past decade, but he doesn't have a leg to stand on unless he knocks out a low-45 in the next week (and I've seen no mention of any race plans either).
AS

Postby mal » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 am

Steffenson is one of the great disappointments in Oz sprinting. He caught it for a while, then forgot what it was about.

I don't know if its injury or stupidity, but his times are pedestrian. Barely comparable to athletes 30 years ago at best, which is a far cry from his entree to the sport. Mitch would have eaten his lunch every time. So would a few others.
He should get a real job.
mal

Postby Tuariki » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:42 pm

AS wrote:So our most vocal male athlete, John Steffensen has been occupying loads of column space with his latest bout of griping.

For those who missed it he's citing racism, bias and various other crimes against humanity because 19yo Steve Solomon has been granted a discretionary 400m slot for London (i.e. as a B-qualifier - one of only two in our team I believe).

What I'm stunned is not being discussed in the press is simply that Steff has no real case for the spot anyway, beyond winning the Trials race way back in March (which didn't guarantee him anything due to his lack of A).

Come on AS. When have the media ever let the facts intrude on a good headline.

Racism entrenched in Aussie Athletics

sells more newspaper than

Solomon has better record than Steffensen

Steffensen's ranting makes Nick Symmonds appear to be a paragon of biblical virtue.
Tuariki

Postby typpo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:07 pm

I have to say that any sympathy I might have felt for Steffensen as a result of AA's mismanagement of this issue has been negated by his childish bluster and back-pedalling. I wonder whether Alozie, Ntiamoah, Ross, Harradine, etc, think racism has played a part in their OG selections. The more germane issue here is ageism, as commentators like Gideon Haigh have already pointed out. Just how fair is the so-called Rio clause in cases like this? I think that's a legitimate debate and I can understand the frustration older athletes feel, particularly someone like Steffensen, who has generated interest in his sport over time, whether it's been good or bad. He's an Olympic and WC relay medallist, not to mention a WC finalist individually - I agree that he's entitled to a little respect, even if it's only for these achievements. Perhaps the biggest story in all of this is just how divided AA appears to be internally on this and related issues, with the CEO, high performance manager and even selectors appearing at times to be working at cross-purposes.

I do welcome Solomon's selection. He strung three good races together in as many days and ran a PB in a WJ final for third, as well as running a sub-45 relay leg, so the kid is not only talented but has very recent experience dealing with the rigours of championship rounds. But in the circumstances, it's hard to understand the value of both the OG trial (won by Steffensen) and nationals (won by Solomon) both run a few months ago now. Solomon's definitely a better bet on form right now but the absence of procedural fairness that has Steffensen screaming blue murder is quite real, I think.
typpo

Postby Smoke » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi guys. Since John never said he was not selected due to racism it may behoove you to read and hear what was said rather than criticize the headline that you have run with. He mentioned racism in reference to his past dealings with AA. In this particular case, he has simply stated that AA has gone directly against its own edicts about selection this season. As he said, the goal post have been moved.
Since you are citing facts let me help your arguments. Solomon has yet to defeat John this season taking very sound defeats during the Australian domestic season, including their trials. Solomon finished 3rd. My question is where is Ben in this debate? More specifically, Solomon had a clear target this summer, World Juniors. He better had run fast, that was his major meet for the summer. Meanwhile, John pulled his hamstring at Stawell in April. He took 6 weeks to rehab, and was chasing the arbitrary deadline of June 7th to get A. He simply did not have enough time. He fought for an extension and received one, but the leg has taken longer than wanted to heal.
So while Solomon had the luxury of WJC at Barcelona, John was left to find random races to chase a time. Fast forward to today. Now that the youngster has run well, which John openly acknowledged, AA jumps up and snatches him from third to the individual spot! No A standard, no real distinction between John's 45.67 run in the rain at Melbourne to Steve's 45.52 run in Barcelona under championship conditions.
So while I know you guys love to hate him, Steff is more than justified in his outrage. He made it clear he has no beef with Steve. If Steve achieves the A before John, John will accept that. But to arbitrarily chose the young man, when he did not win trials, finished 3rd, has not dropped a significant time, has not achieved the A.
Trust me! If not for the previous edicts that no B would be chosen and the random deadline of June 7th, half the times you see for John would not be there. We would have taken a much more sensible approach to races, rather than trying to force the issue. Needless to say I think you will see a change in his performances going forward. His body is better, evidenced by his 46.02 he ran today.
Smoke

Postby Jacksf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Steff may or may not be justified here. But I don't care. He's such a jerk and always has been, I'm inclined to discount pretty much anything he says.
Jacksf

Postby Jacksf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Jacksf

Postby Jacksf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Smoke wrote:Since John never said he was not selected due to racism it may behoove you to read and hear what was said rather than criticize the headline that you have run with. He mentioned racism in reference to his past dealings with AA. In this particular case, he has simply stated that AA has gone directly against its own edicts about selection this season. As he said, the goal post have been moved.

This is just not true.
Yes, he did say the goal posts were moved. But they were moved because of racism.
He is plainly saying that.

"The rules and the goal posts are getting shifted. Now they're going to pick who they want to put in the team. I've put up with being racially vilified by this federation, being discriminated against on many teams ... you know it would help if I was a different color. No, they can have athletics. I don't need to do this anymore."

My thought is John is jerk and big fat baby, and always has been. I really dislike him, and always have.
Jacksf

Postby AS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Smoke, I appreciate the insights (one of the real benefits on being on these boards). You are certainly articulating John's concerns much more effectively than he has.

I remain confused about the basic argument however. A few questions:

1. Does John think his own selection as our solo 400m competitor would be justified based on recent form?
2. Does John believe Solomon's selection ahead of him is not justified?
3. Would he rather no one ran at all?

And where did he 46.02 (which is still far from a screaming endorsement for a solo spot)?

With regard to discretionary selections (i.e. for events where there are only B-qualifier options), my hierarchy for selection would be:
1. Young athletes near the cusp with some evidence of very recent (i.e. non-Aussie) form at at least B-standard
2. Experienced athletes who have consistently performed at champs with some evidence of very recent (i.e. non-Aussie) form at at least B-standard
3. Mid-career athletes with some success in lesser champs with repeated evidence of very recent (i.e. non-Aussie) form at at least B-standard

That would probably add the following athletes to the team (including those who were added):
Breen, Solomon
There aren't many (if any) 2s (given existing As... otherwise it'd be Lapierre)
Renshaw would be a 3 (but for Riseley)

AA (in particular Hollingworth) painted themselves into a corner with their dumb selection approach to Delhi Comm Games. They should have taken the hugest team possible (given the weak qual requirements) to give the 20-28 year olds with limited champs experience the best insight into what is involved (and to demonstrate such acumen). A void has opened up due to this error.
AS

Postby Athleticsimaging » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:43 am

AS wrote:I remain confused......

That's what happens when you think about AA's decision making processes.....

This is a difficult one - well, not really. Australian 400m is littered with athletes with one or two good seasons and in the post 1970 era, there have only been 3 athletes that have demonstrated longevity and winningness; Rick Mitchell, Darren Clarke and John Steffensen.

JS has been unfortunate with injuries post 2006, yet has always peaked when it counted, including smashing Solomon at the supposed key domestic competition this year. The time may not have been what anybody hoped for but he won.

To now say "well despite a proven track record and beating the only other possible choice when asked to do so, you can fuck off", is to put it mildly, somewhat rude. It is probably made worse because there appears to be active discrimination against older athletes, even those who have supported AA competitions when others haven't.

I freely admit that I think AA's (or Hollingsworth's) A qualifiers only approach is fundamentally flawed and that those on their way up and on their way out should also be sent where possible ie one clear possible such as Manou. However, in the 400m this is not the case and I would always go with the winningest athlete and that is still JS at this moment.
Athleticsimaging

Postby mump boy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:51 am

i have no idea about the rights and wrongs of this situation but i will say that Australia, despite being one of my favourite places in the world, is TOTALLY racist.
mump boy

Postby mal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:13 am

mump boy wrote:i have no idea about the rights and wrongs of this situation but i will say that Australia, despite being one of my favourite places in the world, is TOTALLY racist.

Unlike all the rest of the countries in the world which welcome diversity, race, gender and opinion.

NAf off.
mal

Postby AS » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Interestingly mump, Australia is typically ranked in the top 2-3 countries globally for actual ethnic diversity (in terms of number and percentage of residents born overseas (and/or with parents born overseas) and by breadth of countries).

The country has some pretty progressive anti-vilification and anti-discrimination legislation.

On the other hand, we have a horrible history of mistreating our indigenous population (comparable to that of the US), and ran a nasty anti-Asian immigration policy until the 1960s.

Like most countries there is a tiny crackpot white supremacist fringe, and some pretty ignorant rednecks floating around.

And cultural sensitivity ain't a strongpoint within our 'tell like it is'/'make fun of everyone' communication style. And the further you get from the more ethnically diverse major cities the more likely it is you'll encounter ignorance/hostility.

I have no doubt you encountered some dickheads in your visit (and probably more of them in London (especially given the tendency of boofhead Aussies to find likeminded Kiwis and South Africans to egg them on), and for that I'm sorry.

But in terms of actual out and out systemic racism, you'd be hard pressed to make a strong case that we're much worse than most western countries I've visited (and, in many instances, less so than the more deeply entrenched prejudices I've seen in Mediterranean Europe and Asia).
-------------------
And back to the actual Steffensen vs Solomon scenario, the racism card is just weird. It has been pointed out that both of them are South African by heritage (Steff-"mixed race", Solomon - Jewish), and that the 2012 team has a fair mix of backgrounds (including Indigenous and West African).

And to the original question of form, I still don't see what case there is that Steff has any form advantage. Beating Solomon back in March is hardly a strong sign, nor is not running a B since then... Relying on a "he used to run well in Champs" argument would see Darren Clark, Rick Mitchell and Mark Garner equally in the mix!!
Last edited by AS on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AS

Postby typpo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:48 pm

John's 46.02 was run at a small meet in France according to Tilastopaja.

I'm not too uncomfortable with Solomon's selection, but in the circumstances I wonder whether a run-off might have been a fairer way to settle the matter.
typpo

Postby AS » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:45 pm

typpo wrote:John's 46.02 was run at a small meet in France according to Tilastopaja.

I'm not too uncomfortable with Solomon's selection, but in the circumstances I wonder whether a run-off might have been a fairer way to settle the matter.

I would have been very comfortable with that too. Indeed, much of the furore seems to spring from the very opaque process whereby Solomon was prematurely told of his elevation and Steff found out afterwards. There was no real reason to go early, and a run-off (perhaps with the entire 4x4 squad) would have been a much better choice...

So, surprise, surprise AA got it wrong!! :roll:
AS

Postby mal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:38 am

I suspect the selectors made the decision to add Solomon on what they consider his potential.

That means Steffenson wasn't in consideration, as a veteran on the supposed downside.

Life is apparently moving on for Steffenson.
mal

Postby mump boy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:31 am

AS wrote:Interestingly mump, Australia is typically ranked in the top 2-3 countries globally for actual ethnic diversity (in terms of number and percentage of residents born overseas (and/or with parents born overseas) and by breadth of countries).

The country has some pretty progressive anti-vilification and anti-discrimination legislation.

On the other hand, we have a horrible history of mistreating our indigenous population (comparable to that of the US), and ran a nasty anti-Asian immigration policy until the 1960s.

Like most countries there is a tiny crackpot white supremacist fringe, and some pretty ignorant rednecks floating around.

And cultural sensitivity ain't a strongpoint within our 'tell like it is'/'make fun of everyone' communication style. And the further you get from the more ethnically diverse major cities the more likely it is you'll encounter ignorance/hostility.

I have no doubt you encountered some dickheads in your visit (and probably more of them in London (especially given the tendency of boofhead Aussies to find likeminded Kiwis and South Africans to egg them on), and for that I'm sorry.

But in terms of actual out and out systemic racism, you'd be hard pressed to make a strong case that we're much worse than most western countries I've visited (and, in many instances, less so than the more deeply entrenched prejudices I've seen in Mediterranean Europe and Asia).

To be honest i didn't encounter any racism at all, i'm ok because i'm from UK and 'cool'. BUT i've never been anywhere were it was acceptable to speak about or treat people the way indiginous people are treated in Australia. I met some amazing people in Australia including my ex boyfriend and all of them thought it totally acceptable to speak about 'Abos' and Asians in the most offensive terms. I've been to Sydney, Melbourne, Byrons Bay, Brisbane, Whitsunday and have even seen an indiginous person who wasn't drunk on the street !!

There are also loads of totally harmless comments (you're a lovely colour, not too dark !!) which i put down to ignorance rather than anything malicious. This is coming from my friends in my company so i dread to think what people of a less liberal persuation have to say

That is just my experience (and that of anyone of any ethnicity that i know who's been)

Having said that Australia is my favourite place for holiday and i totally expect to move Sydney for an extended period at some time. If i am long there for longer than a holiday i fully expect to have a number heated debates though !!
Last edited by mump boy on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby AS » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Steffensen is down to run in Italy (Pergine) today (vs Offereins):

http://www.fidal.it/risultati/2012/COD3316/GaraL060.htm

(that's the startlist NOT the result)
AS

Postby Vault-emort » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:17 pm

In Poland, Steve Hooker finally cleared a reasonable height (5.72) in an outdoor comp. Yay!
Vault-emort

Postby GMH454 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Vault-emort wrote:In Poland, Steve Hooker finally cleared a reasonable height (5.72) in an outdoor comp. Yay!

and that is the best news I have heard in a while...
GMH454

Postby El Toro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:20 pm

AS wrote:Steffensen is down to run in Italy (Pergine) today (vs Offereins):

Result bad for Offereins and unconvincing for Steffensen.

1 3 521 STEFFENSEN John 1982 SM AUS01 AUSTRALIA 46.37 1022
2 2 523 DE SWARDT Jacques 1992 PM RSA01 SUDAFRICA 46.68 1002
3 6 520 KETLOGETSWE Thapelo 1991 PM BOT01 BOTSWANA 46.93 986
4 5 522 LORENZI Marco 1993 JM RM056 G.A. FIAMME GIALLE 47.16 972
5 4 525 OFFEREINS Ben 1986 SM AUS01 AUSTRALIA 47.62 944
6 1 524 DRUCE Tom 1986 SM GBR01 GRAN BRETAGNA 47.83 932

Plus more details on the racism story. Apparently Steffensen was referring to team official at Beijing. Story in the SMH - Steffensen racially vilified in Beijing
El Toro

Postby El Toro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 pm

In the same comp as Hooker's 5.72, Benn Harradine came second to Alekna and beat Małachowski, although it should be noted that Malachowski has been injured.

1 Virgilijus Alekna LTU 68.50
2 Benn Harradine AUS 64.92
3 Piotr Małachowski 64.29
4 Robert Urbanek 64.27

To add to all that creamy goodness, Harradine had a very consistent series.

Benn HARRADINE 64.92 x 64.15 63.04 61.63 63.69

Conditions off website were temp: 15°C Humidity:: 59 % Conditionsi: cloudy

Also, Boden ran 56.69 over the hurdles.
El Toro

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:08 pm

Hooker and Pearson for gold. There, I said it. My trans Tasman cousins from West Island will get one more gold than NZ.
Tuariki

Postby Vault-emort » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Hopefully the Aussie mainland will - via Pearson, Watt, Tallent and a couple more field-eventers - tally at least four more medals than our pacific island colonies! :P
Vault-emort

Postby user4 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:42 pm

El Toro wrote:
AS wrote:Steffensen is down to run in Italy (Pergine) today (vs Offereins):

Result bad for Offereins and unconvincing for Steffensen.

1 3 521 STEFFENSEN John 1982 SM AUS01 AUSTRALIA 46.37 1022

Plus more details on the racism story. Apparently Steffensen was referring to team official at Beijing. Story in the SMH - Steffensen racially vilified in Beijing

If true, if he was called those racially demeaning names then something is foul down under.
user4

Postby Vault-emort » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:19 am

user4 wrote:If trueif he was called those racially demeaning names then something is foul down under.

If is a big word in the Steffensen world. As much as I admire his athletic ability and even - at times - his personality, I sometimes cannot believe the things that come out of his mouth. Mostly they're sensational and do not always withstand proper scrutiny.

Even if this story is true, perhaps it's a case of the boy who cried wolf.

It's a shame that the Stawell injury (when he was looking damn good) seems to have affected his last (?) Olympic campaign - with some luck he could have added more decent results to his career record.

Anyway I guess the latest controversies will help his tell-all book which surely has to come out next year? Title - 'In John We Trust'?
Vault-emort

Postby jjimbojames » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:27 am

Would be interesting to know why he was kicked out of the room he was sharing with Hooker; Steff implies Hooker was on his side, which would mean someone else made the call

Likely to be a bit more to it than what appears in that article, though...
jjimbojames

Postby AS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Hooker is backing up Steffensen's story re: the Beijing incident:

http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/athle ... 22lbt.html
AS

Postby onestepatatime » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:04 pm

With all of the carry on from Steffenson it seems that a number of key points have been lost in the wash.
1. If he feels so strongly about the Beijing incident, why has it only really surfaced publicly 4 years later after he missed an individual berth for London? Steffenson has always spouted other strong views in the public domain - why did he bottle it?

2. 46.02 of late is no indication that he is back in shape. That is where he should have been opening his season back in December so that he could build to sub 45 shape for London. Even if he did hit a low 45 in London, given his prep it is highly unlikely that he will be able to back up through subsequent rounds.

3. More importantly, to be medal competitve in London he needs to start sub 45.0 - 45.5 and get faster with each round - how many actual 400's has he races this last 8 months to prepare for that? What has he done that involves subsequent backing up to prepare for that? Most importantly WTF was he doing running in the Stawell Gift in an Olympic year? How does prepare him for his biggest challenge this year and potentially his last crack at the Olympics?

4. What has Steffenson really done at a major Championship level on an individual basis since the Melb Comm Games - ahem 6 years ago? He hasn't got near that PB in that time, but expects to be selected for a comp where he will have to run much faster to survive a semi final.

In closing Steffenson has been his own worst enemy. His planning for major titles has been very ordinary and lacking focus to say the least. And to deflect the reality of career that has gone downhill, has reverted to blaming all an sundry for his outcomes. With all of the arguments with AA he has been the constant. He has forgotten that when you point the finger at someone you have three of your own fingers pointing back at you. It's a great pity because he could have been the fastest 400 metre runner we have ever had.
onestepatatime

Postby mal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Seems the Solomon choice showed solomnic wisdom by the selectors.

Wonderful performance by him to do everything that you suggested. Faster by each round. He isn't going to medal, but he's been an inspiration the way he's competed.

What a star, now and to come.
mal

Postby Athleticsimaging » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:36 am

mal wrote:Seems the Solomon choice showed solomnic wisdom by the selectors.

No, Solomonic wisdom would have been telling both of them that the relay was not getting a run in order to have one of them in the individual 400. The one that gave up the individual place to save the relay team from death would get the individual run.
Athleticsimaging

Postby GMH454 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 pm

great day to be an athlete here in OZ.. thanks Sally
GMH454

Postby mal » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:10 am

Athleticsimaging wrote:
mal wrote:Seems the Solomon choice showed solomnic wisdom by the selectors.

No, Solomonic wisdom would have been telling both of them that the relay was not getting a run in order to have one of them in the individual 400. The one that gave up the individual place to save the relay team from death would get the individual run.

Like your classic reference.

The right guy got the run.

The rest were disappointing to say the least.

They should quietly, or with a cake, retire. Solomon is the only one worth throwing any energy behind.

So much 'talent' twittering their way through their preparation. Maybe there is an expiration date on talent after all? Fire your shot and leave.
mal

Postby El Toro » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Story on Dani Samuels and her sister who is playing basketball with the Canberra Capitals this season.

Samuels siblings set hearts on Rio
El Toro

Postby AS » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Steve Hooker's split with coach Parnov and is joining Dean Pfaff in USA:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more- ... 6494980060
AS

Postby AS » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:24 pm

And a little aside that I couldn't post in the locked Lance Armstrong thread, now disgraced Aussie cyclist Matt White has an awkward link to Australian athletics:

He is married to now retired walker Jane Saville (and was during his admitted misdoings on US Postal around 2003).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more- ... 6494871368

It's certainly an unfortunate situation for one of our finest female Olympians of this century (a medalist from Athens and super unlucky in Sydney to be disqualified while leading).
AS

Postby AS » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Aussie aths has just lost an Olympian to rugby (SPer Dale Stevenson): http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-union/un ... 285s8.html
AS

PreviousNext