Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe


Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby huntinwr » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:10 pm

I came across a photograph I took in 1973 of the track at a school in South Lake Tahoe, CA. It is the track that was used for the 1968 Trials at Echo Summit and later moved. Anyone know how I can insert it in a post? :? It is a .tif file
huntinwr
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Walla Walla, Washington

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Tif, jpg, etc. it doesn't matter. No photos. The IMG thing doesn't work.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Tif, jpg, etc. it doesn't matter. No photos. The IMG thing doesn't work.

Put it on a photo-sharing site like Picassa and then post the link here.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby hanklaw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Here's one of Lindgren & Clark at the '68 Trials:

http://archive.dyestatcal.com/ATHLETICS ... ndclrk.jpg

hank
hanklaw
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:33 pm

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:59 am

hanklaw wrote:Here's one of Lindgren & Clark at the '68 Trials:

http://archive.dyestatcal.com/ATHLETICS ... ndclrk.jpg

hank


Lindgren is wearing racing flats. The old Tiger Marathon!
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:02 am

Marlow wrote:Like this one:

http://www.tr4ck.org/track.gif


What a great place to run. But you can't exactly say the AAU was much on promoting the sport in those days. The biggest meet of the year in the states and they put it on the moon.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby dj » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:21 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Marlow wrote:Like this one:

http://www.tr4ck.org/track.gif


What a great place to run. But you can't exactly say the AAU was much on promoting the sport in those days. The biggest meet of the year in the states and they put it on the moon.



???

AAU was trying to replicate the altitude of Mexico City as much as possible. In addition, they used the facility as a training and competition facility for several weeks, not just for the FOT.

Where would you have had the AAU conduct the Trials and have control over a facility for an extended period?
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:46 am

dj wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
Marlow wrote:Like this one:

http://www.tr4ck.org/track.gif


What a great place to run. But you can't exactly say the AAU was much on promoting the sport in those days. The biggest meet of the year in the states and they put it on the moon.



???

AAU was trying to replicate the altitude of Mexico City as much as possible. In addition, they used the facility as a training and competition facility for several weeks, not just for the FOT.

Where would you have had the AAU conduct the Trials and have control over a facility for an extended period?


Yea, dj, you are absolutely right. I was sort of joking. I should have put a smiley face. Putting the trials in Tahoe was an excellent idea with the Games in MC. It us just that overhead picture, which I have never seen before, looks so isolated, more like the Twilight Zone, especially compared to today's Hayward Field.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby gh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 am

You're also wrong in pointing the finger at the AAU, methinks. The whole concept of the ’68 OT was a USOC production as I understand it.
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 am

gh wrote:You're also wrong in pointing the finger at the AAU, methinks. The whole concept of the ’68 OT was a USOC production as I understand it.


Interesting. I don't think, however, finger pointing is the right word, that implies other options.
Besides, it made great shots. Rich Clarkson's photos of Ryun coming out of woods are some of my favorites.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby hanklaw » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Went to YouTube and found this vid of the 1500 at Tahoe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP1Cl1Dw61U

Funny watching the camera try to follow the race thru the trees - and what about that 1st lap split...

hank
hanklaw
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:33 pm

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:51 pm

I love that footage. A completely other-worldly site for a major meet. I've mentioned before that I visited the site ca. 1980 or 81 and photographed the ghostly outline of the old track. It would take some digging to find those negatives, but its at least possible in theory...
kuha
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: Old photo of track at South Lake Tahoe

Postby gh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:29 pm

hanklaw wrote:Went to YouTube and found this vid of the 1500 at Tahoe:

[pirate video removed by mods]

Funny watching the camera try to follow the race thru the trees - and what about that 1st lap split...

hank
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests