Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby guru » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:48 am

guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby preston » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:02 am

Steve Riddick is her coach...
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby peach77 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:06 am

Brilliant news considering she's been one of the most obvious offenders of recent times...

However, I also think it's dangerous ground to immediately mention a coach as if they were involved. Not always the case...
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby peach77 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:09 am

Having said that, when you think of his former clientele...LOL
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby lapsus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 am

peach77 wrote:Brilliant news considering she's been one of the most obvious offenders of recent times...

However, I also think it's dangerous ground to immediately mention a coach as if they were involved. Not always the case...


Well, according to Dunn Riddick clearly was her coach at least two years ago:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/07/exnsu-r ... conviction

And I think it is not out of bounds to mention Dunn's coach in this context if the coach has previously coached Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery and Aziz Zakari, among a few other familiar names (ref. his Wikipedia page).
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby peach77 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:19 am

I was joking (see my second post!) but I do still think we always accuse coaches just because an athlete tests positive- that's not always the case.

For Riddick, however, and the athletes he's coached in the past, frankly, it's a bit ridiculous no one's investigated him a bit closer if you ask me...
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby guru » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:20 am

So I assume the US will be one body short in the 4x4 relay dept(outside of other event personnel like Demus stepping in)
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby preston » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:20 am

Another Steve Riddick coached athlete was Eldece Clarke(-Lewis) of the Bahamas.

Progression according to IAAF
2000 10.96 1 Fort-de-France 29/04/2000
1999 11.38 1 Nassau 26/05/1999
1998 11.4 -1.3 Johannesburg 27/03/1998
1997 11.27 0.3 Athína 2/8/1997
1996 11.33 0.6 Atlanta, GA 26/07/1996
1995 11.4 -0.3 Göteborg 6/8/1995
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby peach77 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:22 am

I suspect that Fort de France race of having suspect timing more than anything else- Clarke didn't really come close to that ever again...
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby preston » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:25 am

peach77 wrote:I suspect that Fort de France race of having suspect timing more than anything else- Clarke didn't really come close to that ever again...

I wouldn't suspect timing at all. Look at the other athletes and results from that meet and there is NOTHING to suggest that Fort de France was a precursor to Eugene/Clermont/Rieti/Port of Spain/any meet in TX in March or April...


From that same race...
11.13 1.0 Tayna Lawrence 2 Fort-de-France 29/04/2000
Last edited by preston on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: ¶USATF w400: Debbie Dunn (Nike) 49.64

Postby lapsus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:28 am

guru wrote:
ILoveTrack wrote:Anyone know if Dunn is still coaching herself?


She's working with Steve Riddick.

Enough with this... no more benefit of the doubt for doping coaches, no more second chances, forgive & forget, whatever. After the second athlete coached by someone gets busted, lifetime coaching ban for that coach. Any athlete associating with the coach for any professional reason gets 6-12 month suspension. Any athlete associating with the coach for any nonprofessional reason (such as being married to the coach's daughter, or whatever) goes to the front of all the WADA suspicious list (extra testing), and risks suspension if there's any cooperation judged to be improper.

Dubin inquiry had the right idea over 20 years ago, why isn't the Charlie Francis style punishments the norm? This is just ridiculous.
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby guru » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:36 am

Dunn withdraws from US team, releases statement


Debbie Dunn wrote:“I have been informed by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agencythat a sample I gave at the U.S. Olympic Trials contains an elevated testosterone/epitestosterone level," Dunn's statement said. "While I work with USADA to resolve this matter, I am withdrawing from my relay pool position for the 2012 Olympic Games. I do not want any issue like this to distract from my teammates’ focus for the biggest meet of their lives. I wish Team USA best in London as I work toward resolving this matter."
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby lapsus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:40 am

peach77 wrote:I was joking (see my second post!) but I do still think we always accuse coaches just because an athlete tests positive- that's not always the case.

For Riddick, however, and the athletes he's coached in the past, frankly, it's a bit ridiculous no one's investigated him a bit closer if you ask me...

I understand your point even if I missed the joke. But this particular case is so silly that it pushed me over the limit, and right now my opinion is that even one doped athlete is enough to cast suspicion on a coach, and two doped athletes with the same coach is already so serious that a lifetime ban is appropriate.
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby doug5321 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 am

preston wrote:Steve Riddick is her coach...
how long ago? this says riddick was sentenced to jail for 5 years and 3 months, so he probably has not coached anyone the last 4 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Riddick
doug5321
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby guru » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:56 am

He mailed her workouts from prison
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby lapsus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:01 am

guru wrote:He mailed her workouts from prison

And that is not even a joke
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby j-a-m » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:08 am

That's bad news.
guru wrote:So I assume the US will be one body short in the 4x4 relay dept(outside of other event personnel like Demus stepping in)

In the article, Jill Geer is quoted as saying it's not clear yet. It shouldn't be a big issue, though; at least short of an injury to another runner.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby huntinwr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:10 am

I thought the T/E ratio test was discredited after the Mary Slaney incident for being unreliable.
huntinwr
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Walla Walla, Washington

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby guru » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:11 am

j-a-m wrote:That's bad news.
guru wrote:So I assume the US will be one body short in the 4x4 relay dept(outside of other event personnel like Demus stepping in)

In the article, Jill Geer is quoted as saying it's not clear yet. It shouldn't be a big issue, though; at least short of an injury to another runner.



Right - I'm sure they'd be fine. But would suck for Hastings to get bumped by a cheat
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby ATK » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:12 am

lapsus wrote:
guru wrote:He mailed her workouts from prison

And that is not even a joke

Not surprising. If I remember correctly Lance Brauman did this with his athletes.

Anyway this will be a very interesting turn of events for Dunn and possibly her relay participation in recent years.
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby j-a-m » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:16 am

huntinwr wrote:I thought the T/E ratio test was discredited after the Mary Slaney incident for being unreliable.

Not sure if any of you are following mixed martial arts (MMA), but the T/E ratio has been a big deal there lately.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby dl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:29 am

j-a-m wrote:That's bad news.
guru wrote:So I assume the US will be one body short in the 4x4 relay dept(outside of other event personnel like Demus stepping in)

In the article, Jill Geer is quoted as saying it's not clear yet. It shouldn't be a big issue, though; at least short of an injury to another runner.


Jill Geer said Dunn wasn't taking the "clear"? :lol:

Sorry, I had to extract a bit of mirth out of such a depressing, albeit not surprising, development.
dl
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:30 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby ldnbloke » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 am

Great news for athletics ... Usual suspects thankfully.
ldnbloke
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:55 am

Allyson Felix said some fairly provocative things about drug cheats in her Piers Morgan interview. She basically implied that she will most likely be competing against drug cheats in London, but the thing really struck me was her tacit admisson that she has some names in mind. I'm sure that it would have been pointless for Morgan to try to get her to spill the beans, but I wish he would have asked some follow-up questions anyway. Someone like Bob Costas would have never let her off that easy.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby GDAWG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:22 am

It's a bad thing that she failed a drug test, but at least it happened now instead of after the Olympics. This way, if the 4 x 400 relay team (Which will likely be SRR, AF, Fran and Trotter) win gold, the win will be clean and they won't have to worry about being stripped of the gold medal, like SRR and Trotter could be from their 2004 Athens Relay medal.
GDAWG
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby jamaica50 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:18 am

I can't wait to soon start hearing from a few folks here" ................ but she is really a Jamaican". lol
jamaica50
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby gh » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:37 am

I've got an idea.... stop being a shit-disturbing dickhead.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby toyracer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 am

jamaica50 wrote:I can't wait to soon start hearing from a few folks here" ................ but she is really a Jamaican". lol


I have a list somewhere keeping track of positives by Jamaicans, and it includes Jamaican born athletes as well. I hadn't remembered that Dunn was so thanks for pointing it out, even if you were doing it to cause a stir.
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby guru » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:17 pm

PM James Carter received from Dunn last fall. Classic! lol

https://twitter.com/MrJamesCarter/statu ... 20/photo/1
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby sportsnerd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 pm

guru wrote:PM James Carter received from Dunn last fall. Classic! lol

https://twitter.com/MrJamesCarter/statu ... 20/photo/1

This is just classic---superlative in fact, because I always wonder how she just went missing from the world championship in 2011 due to stress fracture[not to say that athletes cannot be injured but for the record it was dazzling to me after being in the slumber for so long she break out in '09 and made the US team; even cracking the 50-second barrier in Berlin!]. She is not the only athlete that went missing that season or as a matter of fact for the entire 2011 season and has return in 2012 qualifying for the Olympic games this season... Well someone has to bear the humiliation and the track powerhouse will not release the natives names and who else is more deserving of the anguish with her head served on the platter than the American, hold up she is clearly disowned now *wink* the - Jamerican!!!
I love this! lol
sportsnerd
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby ATK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:44 pm

guru wrote:PM James Carter received from Dunn last fall. Classic! lol

https://twitter.com/MrJamesCarter/statu ... 20/photo/1

haha this is absolutely classic.
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:53 am

What had he been saying about her?
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby ATK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:35 am

Flumpy wrote:What had he been saying about her?

Putting two and two together, I would assume he accused her of pulling out of Daegu last year not because of injury, but because of the new blood testing.
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby croflash » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:17 am

American 400 metres runner Debbie Dunn has accepted a two-year doping ban, the United States Anti-Doping Agency have confirmed.

The 34-year-old, who was world indoor champion in 2010, tested positive for an anabolic agent at the US Olympic team trials in June.

She withdrew from the US 4x400m relay team for the Olympics before the Games after returning a positive test for testosterone/epitestosterone.

Dunn's suspension began on August 1, 2012, the date she accepted a provisional suspension.

The USADA statement said: "As a result of the sanction, Dunn has been disqualified from all competitive results achieved on and subsequent to June 22, 2012, the date the US Olympic team trials began, including forfeiture of any medals, points, and prizes."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... 400704836A
croflash
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:29 am
Location: Germany

Re: Debbie Dunn Fails Trials Drug Test

Postby nevetsllim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 am

sportsnerd wrote:
guru wrote:PM James Carter received from Dunn last fall. Classic! lol

https://twitter.com/MrJamesCarter/statu ... 20/photo/1

This is just classic---superlative in fact, because I always wonder how she just went missing from the world championship in 2011 due to stress fracture[not to say that athletes cannot be injured but for the record it was dazzling to me after being in the slumber for so long she break out in '09 and made the US team; even cracking the 50-second barrier in Berlin!]. She is not the only athlete that went missing that season or as a matter of fact for the entire 2011 season and has return in 2012 qualifying for the Olympic games this season... Well someone has to bear the humiliation and the track powerhouse will not release the natives names and who else is more deserving of the anguish with her head served on the platter than the American, hold up she is clearly disowned now *wink* the - Jamerican!!!
I love this! lol


Quite a few athletes withdrew before the World Champs in Daegu. At the time, some seemed genuinely legit but most seemed rather dubious and Dunn definitely fell into the latter category (along with that Brazilian 10,000m runner who improved from 33:25 to 31:16 and then promptly failed a drug test :x )
nevetsllim
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:54 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Stafanitus and 5 guests