Best Beer in the World?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Best Beer in the World?

Postby mike renfro » Fri May 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Well, I don't know about the world, but my pick would be Arrogant Bastard Ale. "You are not worthy"
mike renfro

Postby gh » Fri May 18, 2012 10:21 pm

my local sells a ton of Pliny the Elder, not sure if they have the Younger.

I'll stick w/ Chimay as good as beer gets.

Close second to Pilsner Urquell.

First Amercian beer on the list is at about #127.
gh

Postby Cooter Brown » Sat May 19, 2012 5:00 pm

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/top-50/

Westvleteren 12. Only available at the Abbey on certain days. You must reserve it ahead of time. Must show up on time or it's sold to someone on the waiting list. It's the holy grail of beer.

The best beer I've personally ever had is Rochefort 10 (which comes in at #10 on that list). It's worth the $10 bucks a 10 oz bottle. Really.
Cooter Brown

Postby Master Po » Sat May 19, 2012 6:19 pm

gh wrote:my local sells a ton of Pliny the Elder, not sure if they have the Younger.

I'll stick w/ Chimay as good as beer gets.

Close second to Pilsner Urquell.

First Amercian beer on the list is at about #127.

Too many to pick -- but I have to endorse gh's choices -- with the exception of Pliny the Elder, which I don't know (at least as a beer). I would expect that many of us have a soft spot for our local -- mine is Great Lakes, which brews several I like. Also enjoy Hoegaarden very much.
Master Po

Postby SQUACKEE » Sun May 20, 2012 6:16 am

Awwww.. my favorite subject! There is no best beer in the world of course, mainly because there are some many different types. It would be more far to ask for instance, what is the world's best Pilsner, Pilsner Erquel is the worlds first Pilsner and the best one I've ever had, great bitter finish and for a pilsner- lots of flavor.

Arrogant Bastard was mentioned,I have not had a better ale of this type- the malt up front is incredibly warm!

Last time I was in San fran I did a taste test between Piny the Elder and Hop Stoopid, IMO Hop Stoopid is still the king of impossible hopped big west coast I.P.A.'S

A recent fav is Pyramid Outburst from Washington State. A light bodied I.P.A. that has found a wonder balance between the malt and hop that makes it incredibly drinkable.

Then there's the Stouts and Porters and Lagers.

It's like asking what the best movie is, is Casablanca better then Blazing Saddles or Alien? Cant compare.

Having said all this I have thought on many occasions after enjoying a fresh Hop Stoopid....THIS IS THE BEST BEER IN THE WORLD! It pushes right to the edge of too much hop, 102 international bitter units, but manages to make it work! 2 22oz bottles and you will take back stuff you didnt steal.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby jeremyp » Sun May 20, 2012 8:07 am

These sorts of "best" ratings are silly. It's chacun a son goute......stupid.
jeremyp

Postby Master Po » Sun May 20, 2012 8:32 am

SQUACKEE wrote:Awwww.. my favorite subject! There is no best beer in the world of course, mainly because there are some many different types.
It's like asking what the best movie is, is Casablanca better then Blazing Saddles or Alien? Cant compare.

squackee's words are wise -- while I can list favorites, what I enjoy is the variety of beers out there, and pleasure of finding a new one.
Master Po

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 am

Master Po wrote:
squackee's words are wise -- while I can list favorites, what I enjoy is the variety of beers out there, and pleasure of finding a new one.

My hobby! Love trying new beers, right now there are a lot of I.P.A.'s made with rye or wheat that are quite good. Sierra Nevada and Harpoon and Saranac all make one. :D
SQUACKEE

Postby Pego » Mon May 21, 2012 6:47 am

Whenever available, I try to order local microbrews on tap and it is mostly a satisfactory experience. Except downtown Atlanta during the Trials - aggghhh.
Pego

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon May 21, 2012 7:17 am

Pego wrote:Whenever available, I try to order local microbrews on tap and it is mostly a satisfactory experience. Except downtown Atlanta during the Trials - aggghhh.

With all the micro breweries croping up everywhere it is back to the future. Before the big mass producers, that's all there was, microbrews in every town.
SQUACKEE

Postby Cooter Brown » Mon May 21, 2012 1:39 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:With all the micro breweries croping up everywhere it is back to the future. Before the big mass producers, that's all there was, microbrews in every town.

In 1870, there were 3,286 US breweries.

In 1980, there were only 101.

In 2011, there were 1,989.

Beer is back.
Cooter Brown

Postby kuha » Mon May 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Pego wrote:Whenever available, I try to order local microbrews on tap and it is mostly a satisfactory experience.

Absolutely agree. There are lots of very good to excellent local brews out there. And I've gotten spoiled in greatly preferring such beers on tap rather than out of a bottle. There is a difference.
kuha

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon May 21, 2012 3:17 pm

kuha wrote:
Pego wrote:Whenever available, I try to order local microbrews on tap and it is mostly a satisfactory experience.

Absolutely agree. There are lots of very good to excellent local brews out there. And I've gotten spoiled in greatly preferring such beers on tap rather than out of a bottle. There is a difference.

A big difference, Keg beer has the advantage of being refrigerated during it's journey, no light can get in, no air unlike bottled beer and keg beer is usually not pasteurized and must be kept cold. Always go for draft.
SQUACKEE

Postby mike renfro » Mon May 21, 2012 8:44 pm

For just day to day drinking (I do that some), I just go down to Bev More and get the best deal on ale (or the like). The last couple times, it was Bass and Newcastle Brown. Darn. Right know it is Red Hook ESB (a decent brew from the land of Starbucks & Microsoft). I'm looking forward to Eugene for both the pretty good beers, and of course, the Pinot Noir.
mike renfro

Postby AS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:01 pm

If you wanna try an amazingly different beer, try the Pale Ale from Lebanon's only craft brewery - 961. I had it last night (in the presence of the brewery founder), and it is astounding - spices galore...

His story is very cool: http://craftypint.com/news/post/back-wh ... all-began/
AS

Postby jhc68 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:49 pm

I prefer a pint of Guiness draft but it has to be in Ireland and it has to be fresh (the closer to Dublin the better) and poured by an expert bartender. Guiness does not travel or age well so any Guiness you have quaffed anywhere beyond Ireland is entirely different (and vastly inferior.)

I used to have a Mexican favorite but I haven't found any in literally decades: Leon Negro de Yucateca. Smooth, rich, creamy and the color of very dark expresso. Anyone else ever tried this stuff?
jhc68

Postby Master Po » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:36 am

jhc68 wrote:I prefer a pint of Guiness draft but it has to be in Ireland and it has to be fresh (the closer to Dublin the better) and poured by an expert bartender. Guiness does not travel or age well so any Guiness you have quaffed anywhere beyond Ireland is entirely different (and vastly inferior.)

I used to have a Mexican favorite but I haven't found any in literally decades: Leon Negro de Yucateca. Smooth, rich, creamy and the color of very dark expresso. Anyone else ever tried this stuff?

Yes! You describe it well. Never had it outside Mexico, and there, only in the Yucatan region.
Master Po