About That London US Women's 4x100

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby ATK » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:47 am

26mi235 wrote:
jjk4ever wrote:And as someone said there are Sanya and Felix.........

Each could do a second relay if they do not double with individual events. They become less compelling cases if they double (although M. Hooker's absence make them more likely...).

Pretty sure Felix is as locked in as Jeter on the relay, double or not.
ATK

Postby t_monk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:32 pm

ATK wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
jjk4ever wrote:And as someone said there are Sanya and Felix.........

Each could do a second relay if they do not double with individual events. They become less compelling cases if they double (although M. Hooker's absence make them more likely...).

Pretty sure Felix is as locked in as Jeter on the relay, double or not.

Co-Signed!
t_monk

Postby DJG » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:34 am

jjk4ever wrote:

Guru, Last time I saw BK she was false starting at a indoor meet while wearing a track
outfit that appeared to belong to a much smaller athlete. [/quote] :D :D :D

Hey some of us liked that small tight uni on her thick body!! I miss the days of Jose Marie Perec 96 OLY outfits...

Would love to see the Barber Twins get a relay spot(s) along with BK. Agree Anderson and Jeter are the locks with maybe Muna in the 3rd slot and wildcards for 4th.

And as someone said there are Sanya and Felix.........[/quote]

I'm fairly certain the Nike's team USA uni's will bare little similarity to what BK was sporting at that indoor meet.
Nike may even have fog lights on the uniforms just in case that legendary London Pea soup
makes an appearnace.
[That's it! The Brits will flood the stadium with fog just before the 4x1's!!!!]
Quick, someone make some "glow-in-the-dark" batons.
DJG

Postby IanS_Liv » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:50 pm

DJG wrote:Nike may even have fog lights on the uniforms just in case that legendary London Pea soup
makes an appearnace.
[That's it! The Brits will flood the stadium with fog just before the 4x1's!!!!]

:lol: I'm on the phone to the organisers right now ... Just think of it as revenge for the smog of LA 84.

I suggest your teams practice under those cooling showers they have for marathons. Expect rain at some point. Maybe we should substitute batons with bowler hats, black umbrellas and rolled up copies of the Times.
IanS_Liv

Postby notorious » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 pm

With Marshavet Myers out, Jamaica's chances increases dramatically of winning.

The mistake Jamaica made in 2011 was using the "weakest" link on the third leg(Sherone Simpson).

VC has been Jamaica's strongest anchor since 2004. She is also our best curve runner. I don't have a problem moving her to third leg to give us a big lead as long as Kerron Stewart runs anchor and she is in her 2008 and 2009 form(10.75 twice)
notorious

Postby t_monk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:37 pm

notorious wrote:With Marshavet Myers out, Jamaica's chances increases dramatically of winning.

The mistake Jamaica made in 2011 was using the "weakest" link on the third leg(Sherone Simpson).

VC has been Jamaica's strongest anchor since 2004. She is also our best curve runner. I don't have a problem moving her to third leg to give us a big lead as long as Kerron Stewart runs anchor and she is in her 2008 and 2009 form(10.75 twice)

Dream line up: SAFP - SS/CR - VCB - KS
t_monk

Postby notorious » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:02 pm

t_monk wrote:
notorious wrote:With Marshavet Myers out, Jamaica's chances increases dramatically of winning.

Dream line up: SAFP - SS/CR - VCB - KS

As long as KS is in her 2008/2009 shape, I don't have a problem with that lineup. VC wouldn't like it however. She knows nothing but anchoring.
notorious

Postby Speedster » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 am

[quote="notorious]As long as KS is in her 2008/2009 shape, I don't have a problem with that lineup. VC wouldn't like it however. She knows nothing but anchoring.[/quote]

Which is why I don't see it happening, when was the last time VCB ran third? From what I can remember she's always run anchor, she did run second 12 years ago in Sydney. I assume she would have anchored in JC and at Arkansas?

Without proper practice at this new order, the least risky line up will be SAFP/KS/SS/VCB which has run 41.70 NR, and ultimately I think this will be the team if everyone is healthy, in form and makes it to London.

I would love to see Sanya on the US 4x100 team, off a fly she's probably one of the fastest in the US, but she would take Felix backstraight and I don't see that happening. Its first and third up from grabs in the US team at the moment.
Speedster

Postby DJG » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:12 am

IanS_Liv wrote:
DJG wrote:Nike may even have fog lights on the uniforms just in case that legendary London Pea soup
makes an appearnace.

:lol: I'm on the phone to the organisers right now ... Just think of it as revenge for the smog of LA 84.

I suggest your teams practice under those cooling showers they have for marathons. Expect rain at some point. Maybe we should substitute batons with bowler hats, black umbrellas and rolled up copies of the Times.

Practice under cooling showers?? Haven't you heard, "we don't need no stinkin' practice!"
Do you make bowler with chin straps? umbrellas for batons is good (give us the ones with the extra-long handles, please, and by Times, of course you mean New York's not LoonDon's?

We're the Brits in LA '84? I thought you sided with....
DJG

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:55 am

Speedster wrote:
notorious wrote:As long as KS is in her 2008/2009 shape, I don't have a problem with that lineup. VC wouldn't like it however. She knows nothing but anchoring.

Which is why I don't see it happening, when was the last time VCB ran third? From what I can remember she's always run anchor, she did run second 12 years ago in Sydney. I assume she would have anchored in JC and at Arkansas?

Why would you assume this? A lot of college coaches put there studs on second leg. FYI, Walter Dix, Justin Gatlin, Xavier Carter and Richard Thompson never anchored in college.

Speedster wrote:I would love to see Sanya on the US 4x100 team, off a fly she's probably one of the fastest in the US, but she would take Felix backstraight and I don't see that happening. Its first and third up from grabs in the US team at the moment.

If Allyson doesn't abandon the two-point stance that she used in Daegu, I would take her off the team. She looked like she was running an 800, and as a result, gave up a lot of ground to Kerron Stewart in the first 20-30 meters.
jazzcyclist

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:32 am

Tyson Gay and Wallace Spearmon didn't anchor at Arkansas. Also, last season's anchor for Florida State was Brandon Byram, who was probably the weak link on the chain even thought they had the individual champions in both the 100 and 200 and another finalist in the 100. They still won despite the fact that Kemar Hyman made a poor pass to Makusha.

Jamaica would be best off keeping it from being settled by Campbell trying to chase down Jeter, because that's a tall order.
JumboElliott

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am

JumboElliott wrote:Tyson Gay and Wallace Spearmon didn't anchor at Arkansas. Also, last season's anchor for Florida State was Brandon Byram, who was probably the weak link on the chain even thought they had the individual champions in both the 100 and 200 and another finalist in the 100. They still won despite the fact that Kemar Hyman made a poor pass to Makusha.

Jamaica would be best off keeping it from being settled by Campbell trying to chase down Jeter, because that's a tall order.

Good points. Spearmon ran second leg, Gay ran third leg and Makusha ran second leg for Florida State last year. Not much has mentioned about baton handling abilitry on this thread, but many, if not most, of the best coaches consider this just as much as footspeed. If your fastest runner also has the best hands, it's a waste to put him/her on anchor.
jazzcyclist

Postby Speedster » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:37 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Speedster wrote:
notorious wrote:As long as KS is in her 2008/2009 shape, I don't have a problem with that lineup. VC wouldn't like it however. She knows nothing but anchoring.

Why would you assume this? A lot of college coaches put there studs on second leg. FYI, Walter Dix, Justin Gatlin, Xavier Carter and Richard Thompson never anchored in college.

My assumption was based on a lack of specific knowledge on VCB at Arkansas, not that you couldn't put your best athlete second, it does happen eg: Devers in 96, Cuthbert in 92. I did the research and VCB did run once on the second leg, but it appears she ran last twice in 2004.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewA ... =205359271, but she has anchor the JAM senior team more, all the way back to the Penn Relays in 2000.

I guess my point is the team has run a NR in 2011 with this order and an Olympic year might not be the time to tinker with it, with athletes learning new changes without a lot of practice.
Speedster

Postby gh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:37 pm

In the '60 Olympics, Germany ran 100 winner (and WR holder) Armin Hary on second leg.
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Ato Boldon ran second leg for Trinidad's national team.
jazzcyclist

Postby DJG » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:37 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Speedster wrote:

Speedster wrote:I would love to see Sanya on the US 4x100 team, off a fly she's probably one of the fastest in the US, but she would take Felix backstraight and I don't see that happening. Its first and third up from grabs in the US team at the moment.

If Allyson doesn't abandon the two-point stance that she used in Daegu, I would take her off the team. She looked like she was running an 800, and as a result, gave up a lot of ground to Kerron Stewart in the first 20-30 meters.

Hope you are sitting down JC, I fear I am about to shock you again.
A two-point stance is fine with me - better sight lines to the go-mark.
High Schools allowed several marks, half-tennis balls with some height and depth in some cases.
Colleges allowed two tape marks.
But the IAAF allows only one tape mark which is not easy to see with your head down
twisting sideways or looking through your legs as some do.
I'll take a slight loss in acceleration (very slight as it is) in exchange for good line-of-sight sight
and leaving on time. Any day or night (lighting) and twice on Sundays.
[and incoming runners will see you better and not run into you!!! Just had to throw that in]
DJG

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm

DJG wrote:Hope you are sitting down JC, I fear I am about to shock you again.
High Schools allowed several marks, half-tennis balls with some height and depth in some cases.
But the IAAF allows only one tape mark which is not easy to see with your head down
I'll take a slight loss in acceleration (very slight as it is) in exchange for good line-of-sight sight
[and incoming runners will see you better and not run into you!!! Just had to throw that in]

You make a good point about less depth perception from the three-point stance. If an athlete is having trouble seeing from the three-point stance in practice, I guess the two-point stance should be used, but make no mistake, the two-point stance is slower. By the way, Walter Dix used black tape at the world championships. Have you ever seen anyone else use black tape before?
jazzcyclist

Postby lonewolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:07 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:[. Have you ever seen anyone else use black tape before?

We sometimes offer LJers choice of colored tape for runway markers..black, red, blue, gray, green, pink, yellow and white..inventory varies...it is not athletic tape..it is slicker, stickier and more durable.. dunno where it comes from.. just appears in the equipment box
lonewolf

Postby DJG » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:33 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
DJG wrote:Hope you are sitting down JC, I fear I am about to shock you again.

You make a good point about less depth perception from the three-point stance. If an athlete is having trouble seeing from the three-point stance in practice, I guess the two-point stance should be used, but make no mistake, the two-point stance is slower. By the way, Walter Dix used black tape at the world championships. Have you ever seen anyone else use black tape before?

Quick response...the lenghth and width (38cmx5cm???) is much smaller than what the NCAA allows for marks, the color is not specified as I recall but it should be of a different color
from the other track markings. Will have to double check unless someone else can answer your question. WIll be at Princeton this week, Penn Relays next.
{2-pt slightly slower, yes...but the mark is adjusted (back) to compensate.}
DJG

Postby DJG » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:35 am

And USATF should give eye-exams to all the members of the relay pool. :D
DJG

Postby jjk4ever » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 am

DJG wrote:And USATF should give eye-exams to all the members of the relay pool. :D

This is funny but you might be on to something! Just cause your body is in world class shape doesnt necessarily mean your eyesight is 20/20. Lots of examples in sports of people reaching the professional ranks who benefited by Laskik or contacts etc.
jjk4ever

Postby DJG » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 am

jjk4ever wrote:
DJG wrote:And USATF should give eye-exams to all the members of the relay pool. :D

This is funny but you might be on to something! Just cause your body is in world class shape doesnt necessarily mean your eyesight is 20/20. Lots of examples in sports of people reaching the professional ranks who benefited by Laskik or contacts etc.

And the athlete is not likely to say "hey coach, I can't see that mark like I used to."

Everything about the US 4x1 relays is funny, in one way or another. You just have to look at
it the right way.
DJG

Postby Megas15 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Who ...logically gets pregnant in an Olympic year...after a great breakthru/comeback year?
Megas15

Postby notorious » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Megas15 wrote:Who ...logically gets pregnant in an Olympic year...after a great breakthru/comeback year?

In her interview, she said she was "surprised" when she found out she was pregnant so obviously, it wasn't "planned".

We are still happy for her however and us trackfans wish her the best.
notorious

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:03 am

notorious wrote:
Megas15 wrote:Who ...logically gets pregnant in an Olympic year...after a great breakthru/comeback year?

In her interview, she said she was "surprised" when she found out she was pregnant so obviously, it wasn't "planned".

Who's pregnant?
jazzcyclist

Postby jjk4ever » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
notorious wrote:

Who's pregnant?

Marshavet Hooker (Myers??--thought I heard she got a divorce? :? :? :?
jjk4ever

Postby beebee » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 am

depth boys and girls...depth. Mrs. Meyers out for the season, in steps Ms. Madison. Saturday's Penn Relays was proof...it was cold and nasty, two of the lady's hand offs were horrible and yet they destroyed the Jamaicans and ran the world's fastest time 42.19.

The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.
beebee

Postby t_monk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 am

beebee wrote:depth boys and girls...depth. Mrs. Meyers out for the season, in steps Ms. Madison. Saturday's Penn Relays was proof...it was cold and nasty, two of the lady's hand offs were horrible and yet they destroyed the Jamaicans and ran the world's fastest time 42.19.

That's a lie....
t_monk

Postby ATK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:08 am

beebee wrote:depth boys and girls...depth. Mrs. Meyers out for the season, in steps Ms. Madison. Saturday's Penn Relays was proof...it was cold and nasty, two of the lady's hand offs were horrible and yet they destroyed the Jamaicans and ran the world's fastest time 42.19.

Only 1 hand off was messy. It was chilly and sightly windy not nasty.
But yes there is tons of depth, and they are capable of getting close to the WR.
ATK

Postby t_monk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am

ATK wrote:

Only 1 hand off was messy. It was chilly and sightly windy not nasty.
But yes there is tons of depth, and they are capable of getting close to the WR.

Now this I can agree with. And I can further postulate that that one 'bad' handoff would be seem dream like in perfection for the Jamaicans on Saturday.

I don't think that third leg is particularly plugged up btw... The first, second and anchor legs should be though.
t_monk

Postby guru » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:26 am

beebee wrote: Mrs. Meyers out for the season

Said already, but not Mrs Myers, and hasnt been for almost a year

With Hooker, and clean through the handoffs, I'd have bet on it, especially with Madison now leading off. But of course Bianca Knight is no Marshevet Hooker.
guru

Postby guru » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:29 am

t_monk wrote:I don't think that third leg is particularly plugged up btw...

Would love to see Richards-Ross put up a legal 10.8, and take some scalps in the process. Then the discussion gets real.
guru

Postby preston » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 am

beebee wrote:The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.

They may just break the record this year but there is absolutely nothing that was being exhibited at Penn that might indicate that. The USA has had "faster" teams than you saw on Saturday who weren't able to break that WR. In fact, that WR, is one of the most resilient for a reason. It's hard!

2008 the USA ran 42.57 in Philly and 42.40 and 42.49 in preparation for Beijing. 2009 the USA ran 42.40 in Philly and ran 41.58 in Berlin - .21 off of the WR. 2011 USA ran 42.28 and ran 41.56 in Daegu. And here because the USA runs 42.19 at Penn we're supposed to believe the WR will fall? How will this team be better than previous teams USA teams over the last 4 years? Better than the teams of the 80's and '90s?

Relays are about teamwork! And, the USA has been using basically the same women over the last 4 years on the relay. Add in the fact that this is an Olympic year and the USA women HAVE to be more prepared to make their national teams than the Jamaican women do. But, before I begin jumping up and down about a 42.19 I think of the 42.29 in 2009 by the Bahamas where the athletes and there SB's far underclassed the result that "better" teams from USA and Jamaica had failed to achieve in other years (33-year old 10.97, a 37-year old 10.99, a 19-year old 11.38 and a 400m runner who had a PB of 11.58).

42.19 is a great time, but it's not much better than the 42.40 in 2009 or the 42.28 last year. It tells us NOTHING about how much better these athletes will be in London, or if they will be better at all. Why? Because each year the USA runs some of the fastest times of the year in Philly.

They might break the record this year but I wouldn't be at all surprised if neither the USA or Jamaica does.
preston

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:28 am

preston wrote:But, before I begin jumping up and down about a 42.19 I think of the 42.29 in 2009 by the Bahamas where the athletes and there SB's far underclassed the result that "better" teams from USA and Jamaica had failed to achieve in other years (33-year old 10.97, a 37-year old 10.99, a 19-year old 11.38 and a 400m runner who had a PB of 11.58).

Even more impressive in 2009 was the Texas A&M women who ran 42.36 with 11.12-11.13-11.50-11.60 leg speed.
jazzcyclist

Postby Speedster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:39 am

guru wrote:Would love to see Richards-Ross put up a legal 10.8, and take some scalps in the process. Then the discussion gets real.

Same here but would that put her third as Felix and Jeter probably have their legs sewn up at this stage.
Speedster

Postby Gabriella » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:52 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Even more impressive in 2009 was the Texas A&M women who ran 42.36 with 11.12-11.13-11.50-11.60 leg speed.

Similar to the German team in 2001, their season bests were average but they won World gold in 42.32 due to some great exchanges, especially from Paschke to Gabi Rockmeier.

Melanie Paschke 11.23
Gabi Rockmeier 11.17
Birgit Rockmeier 11.44
Marion Wagner 11.33
Gabriella

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Speedster wrote:
guru wrote:Would love to see Richards-Ross put up a legal 10.8, and take some scalps in the process. Then the discussion gets real.

Same here but would that put her third as Felix and Jeter probably have their legs sewn up at this stage.

Third leg is probably where she belongs, because she is a curve runner (400/200).
26mi235

Postby TrackDaddy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Speedster wrote:

Obviously I would love to see it too and have no doubt she can run it.

But politics may hamper her from getting due consideration no matter how fast she runs. :?
TrackDaddy

Postby ATK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:43 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:
Speedster wrote:

But politics may hamper her from getting due consideration no matter how fast she runs. :?

I doubt politics would keep her out, opportunity to prove her ability in time might.
ATK

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:07 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:
Speedster wrote:

I think if she made the team in the 200, she would likely given serious 4x100 consideration. She still wouldn't have to run the 200 in London, but at least it would put the ball in the Jon Drummond's court.
jazzcyclist

PreviousNext