Justified

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Justified

Postby lonewolf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Dang! I watched my first epidode of Justified tonight at GH's suggestion.. Now I gotta go do a catchup ala "24".
I will take a while to sort out the characters but I can see the potential for lots of satisfying, well earned come-uppance.... and that Mama is a mean 'un.
lonewolf

Re: Justified

Postby jhc68 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:16 pm

What I tol' you?!?!
You are custom-made for Justified, Lonewolf!
You gotta start from the first episode, though. Don't know if all episodes are available.
jhc68

Postby guru » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:54 pm

All I can say about Season 3 is...wow

There are very few(none) greatly scripted, superbly acted villains on TV these days. Robert Quarles is a notable exception, who gets better with each episode as he inches closer to a psychopathic meltdown. If Neal McDonough doesnt get the Best Supporting Actor Emmy this year it will be an absolute travesty. Unfortunately, I suspect he won't be around past this season.

Here's a taste from this week's episode. Three remain in the season.

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/justified/13043720
guru

Postby Marlow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:46 pm

guru wrote:All I can say about Season 3 is...wow
There are very few(none) greatly scripted, superbly acted villains on TV these days. Robert Quarles is a notable exception, who gets better with each episode as he inches closer to a psychopathic meltdown. If Neal McDonough doesnt get the Best Supporting Actor Emmy this year it will be an absolute travesty. Unfortunately, I suspect he won't be around past this season.

Has anyone else noticed that Quarles, Limehouse and Boyd (and sometimes Raylan) have identical, diction, syntax, cadence and delivery? Whoever writes this thing has one shtick and puts it in all the main characters' mouths? They are all way too grandiloquent for backwoods Harlan County, Kentucky!!!
Marlow

Postby guru » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Marlow wrote:...They are all way too grandiloquent for backwoods Harlan County, Kentucky!!!

Of course, as a Detroit-based Dixie Mafioso, that's a big part of Quarles character brilliance - the big-city carpetbagger come to Harlan County to push around the resident idiots for the Oxy trade. Except they're not quite as backwards, or easy pushovers, as he expected...
guru

Postby jhc68 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Marlow prefers more realistic dialogue and sophisticated delivery like the way Batman talked in Dark Knight :wink: !!!

Of course none of these people resemble anything found in Harlan County anymore than the scenary does (like the eucalyptus trees in the background.) It is an Elmore Leonard guided production and just a TV show. Me, I think it is the second best series on TV, just after Breaking Bad and slightly ahead of Southland.
jhc68

Postby Marlow » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:54 am

jhc68 wrote:Marlow prefers more realistic dialogue and sophisticated delivery like the way Batman talked in Dark Knight :wink: !!!

Ofergudnisake! He's BATMAN - he's supposed to talk that way - he's got a persona to maintain!!!!!

jhc68 wrote:. . . just a TV show.

??!! :shock: :shock: If it's 'just' a TV, why invest ANY emotional energy in it at all?!
The only way books, movies, TV shows, etc., have ANY influence on us is if we 'commit' ourselves to their 'reality'. When I suspend my disbelief, I can NOT have them burst my bubble with 'illogic' (relative to the world created), like people talking as they shouldn't!!!!
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:36 am

Marlow wrote:
guru wrote:All I can say about Season 3 is...wow

Has anyone else noticed that Quarles, Limehouse and Boyd (and sometimes Raylan) have identical, diction, syntax, cadence and delivery? Whoever writes this thing has one shtick and puts it in all the main characters' mouths? They are all way too grandiloquent for backwoods Harlan County, Kentucky!!!

I credit "The Wire" for this. A show with real patois, but eloquent patois. Then came "Deadwood" with it's characters as florally verbose as any Shakespearean or Dickensian. The best story teller in my old timers crowd is a high school dropout, high rise construction worker from New York.
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:18 pm

I note improbable/inaccurate speech, vocabulary, accent, syntax, etc by some character in virtually every film/TV show I watch.. whaddyagonnado?
lonewolf

Postby guru » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:47 pm

The dialogue is 90% of what makes this show great.

By the way, Jere Burns' facial expressions as henchman Wynn Duffy are priceless. He knows Quarles is psychotic, but has no choice but to go along for the ride.
guru

Postby jhc68 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 pm

I second Guru on both counts.

Marlow is right in that the Justified dialogue IS in a rhythm and patter that no human ever really uses, but that is true with most every screenplay or novel, especially the work of Elmore Leonard, who is closely associated with the production. And I find the Justified talk highly amusing.

As for Burns is priceless as he constantly tries to evaluate and re-evaluate how to stay alive in the company of Quarles and Raylon.
jhc68

Postby guru » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Another great episode this week, as the show continues to build to an epic showdown two weeks hence on two fronts - Quarles and the myriad of folks who want him dead, and Limehouse and the myriad of chararcters that want the $3 million of Bennett money he's got squirreled away - the problem being no one knows exactly where.

One slight criticism. They should be more careful about the businesses they allow the cameras to catch. A medical practice located in Newhall, California in the background of an outdoor shot kind of ruins the whole Harlan Kentucky illusion lol
guru

Postby gh » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:39 pm

i was worried early in the season about the quality of the whole production, but it really has been on a roll of late. Just wonderful stuff all around.
gh

Postby Marlow » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:58 pm

gh wrote:i was worried early in the season about the quality of the whole production, but it really has been on a roll of late. Just wonderful stuff all around.

There seems to be a whole lotta folks in that neck of the woods that like to shoot first and ask questions later! How are they gonna keep up the weekly body count - won't they run out of bodies in Harlan County?
Marlow

Postby dj » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:18 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:i was worried early in the season about the quality of the whole production, but it really has been on a roll of late. Just wonderful stuff all around.

There seems to be a whole lotta folks in that neck of the woods that like to shoot first and ask questions later! How are they gonna keep up the weekly body count - won't they run out of bodies in Harlan County?

The city fathers must hope for a high birth rate to counteract the mortality rate (I know, they cancel each other out: each is one-per-person.)

My father once mentioned the same problem in Cabot Cove, although their death rate was apparently higher among visitors than among residents.
dj

Postby jhc68 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Boyd seems to flip instantly between being a crafty manipulator and an absolute dumbshit.
He had no trouble ast all oursmarting the "big-toothed, albino-lloking son of a bitch" but then immediately left him in the custody of two drug-addled hookers... you knew this would not end well.

Best part of the show continues to be the dialogue. My favorite of the season was when Raylon pulled the trigger on the woman who was about to remove his kidneys and she reacted with surprised indignation: "You SHOT me!"
jhc68

Postby guru » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:38 pm

jhc68 wrote:Boyd seems to flip instantly between being a crafty manipulator and an absolute dumbshit.
He had no trouble ast all oursmarting the "big-toothed, albino-lloking son of a bitch" but then immediately left him in the custody of two drug-addled hookers... you knew this would not end well.

Well, he really didn't leave the hookers in charge. Jimmy, one of Boyd's crew, was actually the one who was supposed to be keeping Quarles under control.
guru

Postby Marlow » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:17 am

I was so sure that a drugged-up Quarles would meet his demise this week, and when we heard the shot, I was sure he got it, but now he's on the run again, and I'm starting to cheer for him. As long as he's on the loose, we are guaranteed that malevolence and mayhem will continue to ensue (as if the show needed another catalyst for that!). I'm looking for a major showdown between Raylan, Boyd, Limehouse and Quarles!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Marlow

Postby guru » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Ok, that opening scene between Raylan and Wynn Duffy was sufficiently strong lol
guru

Postby guru » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 am

What a terrific wrapup to a terrific season. The first half of the show built up so much momentum I found myself looking at the clock and wondering how they were going to finish up in the remaining 30 minutes. Loved the showdown in the slaughterhouse, the scene with Quarles and his arm will go down in the annals of TV lore(not to mention Raylans line that the guys at the Marshals office were congratulating him for "disarming" Quarles lol).

I also like the fact they left Quarles' fate somewhat up in the air - he was still alive when the scene cut away from the slaughterhouse, and his disposition was not addressed the rest of the show. While I suspect his days on the show are over, I know producer/creator Graham Yost had some regrets after killing off Mags Bennett in last year's finale, so probably wanted to have some wiggle room should they decide to bring Quarles back. Heck, just think of the fun the guy could have with prosthetic arm. :D

Already looking forward to see what the writers will roll out next season. January seems forever away, though thankfully will have Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, etc to fill the gap.
guru

Postby Marlow » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:54 am

Raylan's 'estrangement' from his father weirds me out so bad. When Raylan says that Arlo shot the cop cuz he saw a 'man wearing a hat', I guess we're supposed to assume . . . :shock:
Marlow

Postby gh » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:12 pm

I don't know if "disarmed" is the greatest or worst line in the history of television!
gh

Postby jeremyp » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:01 pm

So now we have to ponder: Whose demise was better? Quarles or Gus' (Breaking bad)? I'd opt for Gus' as it was a long, long shot, and drop. And we know he died. Quarles may come back as Cpt. Hook....with Dickie Bennett as Smee!
jeremyp

Postby guru » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 am

gh wrote:I don't know if "disarmed" is the greatest or worst line in the history of television!

gif of the magic moment

http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/upl ... 4/arm1.gif
guru

Postby jhc68 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 am

Best part of the scene is when Quarles reaches for his disarmed part and Raylon calmy withdraws it from his grasp with the slightest hint of a smirk.

In terms of recent TV violent deaths (we are guessing Quarles is dead) I'd rate Gus Fring's demise a clear #1, Quarles's as number 2 and, if you watch Game of Thrones, #3 would be when Khal Drogo grant's his brother-in-law's wish for a golden crown.
jhc68

Postby guru » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:51 pm

jhc68 wrote:Best part of the scene is when Quarles reaches for his disarmed part and Raylon calmy withdraws it from his grasp with the slightest hint of a smirk.

Indeed 8-)

http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/upl ... 4/arm2.gif
guru

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:09 pm

guru wrote:
jhc68 wrote:Best part of the scene is when Quarles reaches for his disarmed part and Raylon calmy withdraws it from his grasp with the slightest hint of a smirk.

Indeed 8-)
http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/upl ... 4/arm2.gif

GROSS! So how on earth would they write a survival scenario for him? Wouldn't he bleed out in minutes?!
Marlow

Postby guru » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Marlow wrote:So how on earth would they write a survival scenario for him? Wouldn't he bleed out in minutes?!

People lose arms all the time in equipment/farm accidents without dying.
guru

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:29 pm

guru wrote:
Marlow wrote:So how on earth would they write a survival scenario for him? Wouldn't he bleed out in minutes?!

Yeah - I forget how often it happens in war too. :(
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 am

Stuff do happen.. I am reminded of my great-uncle Charlie, homesteading on the Smoky Hill River in Gove County,KS in the 1880s.. got his thumb caught in a bight roping a steer..( family lore sez it was a buffalo but I dunno, stories do get better over time).. ripped that sucker right off...apparently the bleeding was not too bad.. he retreived the thumb, licked it clean, got back on his horse and rode 108 miles to the nearest doctor in Hays City where he was advised the deteriorated condition of the thumb made re-implantation impossible..
Charlie lasted another 60+ years on that homestead.. accumulated 1280 acres by outlasting contemporary homesteaders... living in the original dugout dug into the west bank of a box canyon corral, until moving into the abandoned one room "fencepost lime" school house on his property ..refused to evacuate when the area was used as an aerial gunnery range during WWII.. collected hundreds of pounds of brass in the rockfront barn on opposite side of the corral... they found his body in the school house in the spring of 1945 after he failed to pick up his mail at the Elkader post office/general store for several weeks.
I visited the homestead in 1955. the dugout was till intact..found a trunk inside containing, among other things, unworn silk shirts wrapped in tissue paper sent out by his sisters in NW Missouri in the 1880s... I reckon Charlie did not have much call for silk shirts in western Kansas in those days.. one withered little peach tree was still producing a few withered little peaches..
His brother, John, my paternal grandfather, also "proved up" on an adjoining Kansas homestead at the same time.. (John did not wear silk shirts either) Charlie stayed in Kansas, my grandfather came to Oklahoma in 1902 and homesteaded again on the Kiowa-Comanche reservation when it was opened to homesteading; the final of 11 homestead acts in Oklahoma, the first being the famous 1889 run into the Cherokee Strip in northern Oklahoma...I was born and raised on that farm..as were my father and his twelve siblings..

I was recently berated for littering the non-T&F forum.. this is today's fearless litter.:)
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 am

lonewolf wrote:got his thumb caught in a bight roping a steer.... ripped that sucker right off...apparently the bleeding was not too bad.. he retreived the thumb, licked it clean, got back on his horse and rode 108 miles to the nearest doctor in Hays City where he was advised the deteriorated condition of the thumb made re-implantation impossible....I visited the homestead in 1955. ...found a trunk inside containing, among other things, ... one withered ....

Whew!! I really thought that sentence was going to end a little differently! :shock:
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:18 am

Marlow's imagination may be better than my true story. :)
lonewolf

Postby gh » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Marlow wrote:
guru wrote:

Yeah - I forget how often it happens in war too. :(

I'll have to ask my ER-doc buddy next time I see him at a hockey game, but I'm guessing the critical difference here is that all those war/farm survivors have one thing in common that Quarles didn't: a tourniquet applied fairly quickly (and perhaps also some collateral damage that seals off blood vessels). And many of those losses, I would also surmise, start out as "manglings" that are beyond surgical repair, so the actual amputation is done subsequent to that decision.

I just can imagine a clean-cut wound as far up the arm as his wouldn't lead to a relatively quick bleed-out if left unattended.
gh

Postby jeremyp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Hand amputations are all too common in parts of Africa. Many survive them even though the artery is the same one cut when someone suicides. Presumably a tourniquet is applied ASAP.
jeremyp

Postby gh » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Quarles wasn't a wrist-job though; it was mid-forearm, no?
gh

Postby guru » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:37 am

gh wrote:Quarles wasn't a wrist-job though; it was mid-forearm, no?

Good question. When Limehouse chops it off, it definitely looks like it's below the elbow. But in the following scene where Quarles is reaching for the arm his suit arm appears to end above the elbow.
guru

Postby jeremyp » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:32 pm

gh wrote:Quarles wasn't a wrist-job though; it was mid-forearm, no?

Same artery!
jeremyp

Postby gh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:13 am

So just for giggles, I went back and reread the original short story from which Justified was crafted, Fire In The Hole. As w/ all Elmore Leonard, a great read. And I see that Leonard's latest, just out, is Raylan.

Which leads us to the question, is it true to the first book or the TV show? That's a major question, given that in the book Boyd dies, Arlo was dead years earlier and Ava is a chubby brunette.
gh

Postby guru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:05 am

Less than a week until Raylan & Co return. Here's a look ahead at this season.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/01/remind ... -one-week/
guru

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:03 pm

guru wrote:Less than a week until Raylan & Co return. Here's a look ahead at this season.
http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/01/remind ... -one-week/

SWEET! My favorite part of the whole show is that no matter how redneck, backwoods, uneducated, and ignorant the characters are, they all speak with with Shakespearean eloquence and sharp wit! :wink:
Marlow

Next